MarathonTalk

Comments

• Me too. Doing my run immediately after a pilates session may not have been the greatest idea I've ever had but, hey, I got it done; just

So, although I'm sure my fitness will continue to improve over the next few weeks as I continue to slowly build milage, I think Marchvelous target is going to be 5k. Just have to decide what time is going to be challenging but achievable.

• this has been the hardest week... motivation missing.  Might change the plan to an easy week next week..

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

PSC - the bad times pass.  Cut back and recover, then the enthusiasm will return.

• Always nice to have a recovery week PSC, reduce your mileage and recharge the batteries.

• Thx guys.... I will do March predicts later.
  • Not too long, they have to be done by monday image

• Time to log last weeks run everyone 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

It's a shame today's half marathon didn't count for the target.  I had predicted 1:50:00, and finished it in 1:50:04 (PB by almost 5 minutes image).  My new 5k prediction stands as it's in line with today's HM result.  It should be challenging for me, but achievable with a fair wind image

The bad news is that I only logged four out of my five runs this week, due to an ankle injury picked up early in the week.  I couldn't take the chance of scuppering today's race.  Sorry all image

• Ok, being new to all this fitness, and running, and biking, and swimming, and wot not, I set my target at a conservative 55min for 10km (my best being about 57:35 ish). I haven't really being paying attention to times cos I been concentrating on getting volume up to a level. Anyway, went on my (short) long run of 10 mile today, as it was a reduced volume week I thought I would time the first 10 km to see what level I was at. I managed it in 53:39, so not fast by any standards, but still knocked some time off my best and under what I was aiming for. I have now updated my target to 52 min, is this still too conservative, or is it ambitious to make those gains in a month. I don't want to push too hard as I am having issues with my patellar tracking, so am back and forth physio. Ref the run today, I would say it was pretty close to all out effort, started retching at 9 km and my pulse was around 180 bpm for most of it, my max is 184. What do I think?
  • If I'm reading it right then we are in second place in the medium size groups

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SA - you're right, though it includes a couple of March runs.  If all teams have logged all of their runs (they still have a day to get them logged)  then I think we are in fourth at the end of February (100%+97%).

Weren't Team Minni in the large teams?  I'm not sure what happened, but maybe it changed in February?

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

If I'm reading it right then we are in second place in the medium size groups

That's because we currently have a Feb score of 97%, we still have a few people who need to log last weeks runs which should bring us up (I believe) as we haven't missed the 100% yet.

• Darren remember what I wrote earlier 

Gazmanmeister wrote (see)

This time is MOST IMPORTANT, You need to judge your current ability spot on. The penalty for being over optimistic or under achieving is HARSH.

It gets worse image The shorter the distance, the more critical this prediction is.

Come the end of your run, you either need to ease up or speed up depending on how close you are.

Pace is the key word for March

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

So, if I'm having a great run in my HM, you want me to ease up so I can come in near my Jantastic time rather than get a PB ??

• That's up to you Carteusm

I can only point you at my earlier post image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Hmm, in my limited experience (2 HMs so far) I have found that I perform better on race day. So the question is, do I set my time at an achieveable one and if I have a good run I could go a couple of minutes quicker or do I set it as a really difficult one and may end up being slower by a couple of minutes. What would you do if you were in my, and a lot of other people's, position ?

• At 57 I'm not a PB chaser, but having said that I have set my goal to do a HM under 2 hrs which will be 2 mins quicker than I've ever done it.

Last year I set my target at 10k and to average 9mm, that was tough but as I'd had the whole month watching how MarathonTalk were deducting points for over/under achieving I got to within 2 secs of the time and kept my 100% for the month and 3 month.

If you want a challenge, set a fast time. If you want a PB set that. It's early in the season and the whole point of this challenge is knowing yourself and what you are capable of. 

• interesting points and as the scores are now "locked in" and I've set my goal time as 3.1 miles (5K) to be 25:59 as I wanted sub 26 minutes and haven't got near that this year, then went a blasted it on Saturday and got 25:25 (new trainers), so for the next 4 weeks I need to slow down? Or do you set a new target time each week?

• The target you have set you have the next 4 weeks to achieve.

You can submit your time any day of the next 4 weeks.

Beware it is a one off submit !!!

It has a seperate submit function to the normal runs per week and long run update.

• Still waiting on a few to update runs !!

• 3 more 100% required, anyone image

• Flipping heck, I put down a half mara target time of 1 hr 50 min, I did a 9 mile race yesterday in 1hr 10 mins. I reckon I'm going to miss the mark by a long way but looking on the bright side a big PB will be in order.... Hopefully

P.S sorry in advance
  • Feb result of 97% 

• Running Postie wrote (see)
    Flipping heck, I put down a half mara target time of 1 hr 50 min, I did a 9 mile race yesterday in 1hr 10 mins. I reckon I'm going to miss the mark by a long way but looking on the bright side a big PB will be in order.... Hopefully
    P.S sorry in advance

No need to apologise, but you kind of missed the whole point of what I had previously pointed out and what Jantasic is all about.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I've just this minute received email notification of your "It's Monday morning...." forum post! image

I wouldn't rely on it for any important messages!

• Thanks, I'll let them know about the messaging again

• Guys... I am dropping out of March.  I've got some niggles that are not going away so am going to concentrate on bike/swim for a bit.  I've done a lot of running this year at over mara dist so not surpised that my hip abductors and ham strings are pinging!! 

Take it easy all, Jan and Feb have been brilliant.

• Saw that you have dropped off the list, thanks for letting us know PSC.

Take it easy and hope the niggles clear up soon.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Take care PSC.

• Received this this morning from MarathonTalk

Hi Gary,

Yes, that was an issue on our side. Unfortunately we don't have a dedicated mailing server, and all the emails are sent out through a function on the website. This isn't ideal and it stopped working the other day. It took me two days to notice that the emails were not being sent. I then fixed the issue and all the emails started being sent out again.

Sorry for the delay in receiving your emails, but hopefully we are back on track now. 

Regards

Greg