I don't feel like a runner any more

Hello,

I used to be an ok runner. I did a few ultra events, culminating in a big multiday event.

Now I run 4 times a week, 12-16 miles a week if I am lucky. 

I feel bad about my running. If I am honest I often don't enjoy it, it can feel like a chore. I struggle to run more than 6-7 miles for my long run, and I don't like feeling this way.

I should say immediately post long multi day event, i.e. the next day, I lost my job and had to change my career entirely. I used to work part time and had plenty of time and energy for running. I now work full time in a fairly stressful temporary job, and am working hard to try and make it permanent.

I have also put on a bit of weight.

Ideal scenario would be to feel really fit again, which I don't, lose a bit of weight, enjoy my running, but not have to spend hours and hours doing it - I don't have time!

Oh, and, I have absolutely no desire to race any more. I used to a lot, but now I don't want to.

Any ideas/support/help/advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

Notsureatall.

Comments

• If you don't enjoy running anymore I would try something else.... Maybe swimming. I'm not trying too be negative but if you don't enjoy you won't stick at it... Is the harsh truth image see how you go if your not enjoying in a couple of weeks try something a little different.
  • Have you got a race planned ?

I'm rubbish at training for the sake of training, but if I have a target it's a lot easier
  • i would try a different sport for a while or try and join a club so you can run wiith other

• Yeah I got bored with running, thought i would try something else, next thing I know I'm doing an Ironman
  • If I was you I'd try cracking the running first
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Notsureatall, would you consider joining a club? Mine has quite a few blokes who don't get out running more than about once a week, if that, due to family and other commitments, but having a regular club run motivates them to do it. And having other people around to chat to makes it less of a chore to get the distance past 6 miles, then you can have a pint afterwards.

• Great.... I couldn't swim when I entered my first Ironman and I didn't have a bike
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

It sounds to me like it could be your job that's really bothering you?

• Mr Puffy I think you have hit the nail on the head. I often feel that running is the old me and when I run I mourn the loss of the old me. I had thought about joining a club and even tried out a few but not being a bloke and having responsibility for 2 teenage sons and all the taxiing around that involves, none of the times fitted in. However I did manage 7 miles yesterday and 4 with my husband this morning and enjoyed both runs. Having aired it to you lot has helped maybe I just need to give myself time to adjust to the new me. I'd still rather go for a run than do zumba so all is not lost!
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Eek, totally agree; the thought of doing zumba horrifies me! Sorry I somehow thought you were a man, you didn't say in your original post. I agree clubs can be a bit blokey; I'm often the only girl on my club runs. However, in my area there are quite a few women's informal running groups that meet at weekends and generally more family-friendly times, so it might be worth having a look for those too if there are any where you live. Glad to hear you enjoyed your last couple of runs.

• Seems to be like you might have associated bad karma with running.  You mention the big event being the "culmination" of your running career.  You also mention, for a reason, that you lost your job shortly after.  Maybe you've formed some irrational association there.  Running = negative consequences, even though the two events are obviously entirely unrelated.  Our subconcious does this, plays tricks on us.  Were you enjoying running to that point?  If you were then perhaps you could start to re-wire yourself.  Give yourself big treats after each running and start to create a good vibe around running.  Running=reward.

If not then why bother trying to love something you are no longer enjoying?  Life has so much to experience and as I now find myself approaching my mid thrities, I actually begin to wonder if I will get through all the things I want to try in life before I shuffle off my coil or become too fragile to try them all.  There's just so much you can do, go find something you enjoy if running really has become a chore to you.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The subject of where running fitted into normal life was covered more than forty years ago.

At one level its a life enhancer. At another level it is just another source of stress.

One reason why so many youngsters drop out of competitive running is that the stress of competition becomes a stress they can live without.

Its one reason why competitive running has given way to running for health reasons. Pure stress of modern life.

🙂

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Notsureatall wrote (see)
    having responsibility for 2 teenage sons and all the taxiing around that involves, 

Do your sons do any activity where you can go off for a run? I started running with Mrs P and a few friends while our kids were football training on a Wednesday night. Two lads playing on different nights? That was two good sharp runs then.

• I do run whilst 1 son has a drum lesson, and I always really enjoy it, as I only have half an hour and it's a different area than all my other runs.

What Strangely Brown said about connecting traumatic experiences with running also rang true. In fact I sat down and made a list of associations with "old style" running and "new style" running, and it's as if they are completely different sports for me. It's no wonder I feel completely differently about running.

Running has become something I do to keep my weight in check and stay fit, and is squeezed in between other commitments. As a result it is always the same routes, and I never get the chance to explore or enjoy some time to myself as I used to. So, I have decided to put some effort into planning different routes locally that I can still do from the house, but that mix things up a bit.

Thankyou all for your help, I am feeling a little more positive about why I run again!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

You could stick around on here as well it's quite a cheerful place image

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    Probably DF3 ......