Sunday 3rd March 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - I decree today that life

Tom - so glad you're back. Finding the right pod, physio, smt etc is often luck not judgement. Apart from my brief consult in the ladies changing rooms about my shoulder the other day I haven't seen a physio since the one who fixed me (MSc in Bio mechanics) moved to Oz. There have been a few times I'd have taken things to her but fortunately I've had nothing serious enough to make me go through the process of finding another that I trust. My smt is great - but has a very different role for me than a physio would and whilst I really should get round to getting my orthotics checked soon once we'd finally got them sorted interactions with my pod have been few and far between - but I'll go back to him if I think he's what I need. Have you ever done the Bourne Woods 10k? Thinking of it as a birthday treat.

Stickless - quite right, better last week than this. Though I think that last weeks outing may have contributed. I'm sure you know the different manifestation but could some of your current stiffness etc be due to the increase in exercise again rather than the PD? I wouldn't recommend skates myself unless you're very competent - far too great a risk of accident and injury.

Blisters - well done on the county medal and prize. Hope you enjoyed your winnings.

Race well Wabo, RFJ and anyone I've forgotten.

What:            nothing
Why:             peak flow 380
Last hard:     breathing isn't always easy just now
Last rest:      2/3

Yesterday's lyrics were Happy Together by The Turtles.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Morning LMH!  Hope you get your peak flow back to normal soon!  What's the reading that will send you back on the roads?

Tom, glad you got that sorted! image

Hope any racing today goes well.  I'm readying myself to go on a long run but delaying a little until I feel more awake! 

Don't know the lyrics today.

• I think it needs to be at least 450 before I run donaldo, will probably swim and bike at lower than that though - but I'm coughing at the moment and that will precipitate an asthma attack if my peak flow is already low and I raise my HR. Enjoy your run - going far?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

You're obviously looking after yourself well - hope the cough goes away soon image

Hmmmm I think I'd like to do 16 miles today.  Schedule says 13 but I feel the mileage on the schedule isnt increasing quickly enough.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Some great parkrunning yesterday by RFJ, Blisters and 7d.

Donaldo: what a great post yesterday - you captured the pure joy of running so well.

Tom: really happy to have you back running. Physios can be a nightmare and there's a lot more bad ones than good ones.

what: 22 miles
    why: Sunday is LSR day
    last hard: Friday
    last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: no

Go well, racers image

Yesterday's movie easily classifies as the most inspirational one I ever saw. It's called GOLD and it's a documentary made by a disabled German director about 3 outstanding Paralympians. Kurt Fearnley (he needs no introduction - what a hero), Kirsten Bruhns (German swimmer who had a motorbike accident age 22 that left her in a wheelchair) and blind Kenyan long distance runner Henry Waniyoke. I hope they are going to screen it in the UK - it really is worth watching.

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭

LMH: hope you're back on the road soon- you were doing really well!

Donaldo, forgot to congratulate you yesterday on your wonderful essay. Between that and Chickadee's film recommendation, we should have plenty of inspiration!

What: 10.06M slow, with 9-1 run-walk ratio

Why: seems to work.

Last hard: that was, in the final 30'

Last rest: yesterday from running, wednesday from any exercise

Lyrics: nah.

My log claims I did some 10M runs (and longer) until April last year, some about that speed, some up to 10' slower. I know my training was all over the place, as was my mental state. I don't remember much of it. But today's run had just over halfway that fantastic top-of-the-world feeling in it. The scene was a bleak late winter landscape, and foggy, but hopeful snowdrops and willow catkins confirming that things are starting to grow again. So not quite the ecstasy-fueling stuff that Donaldo encountered yesterday, but enough adrenaline and endorphines will do marvelous things to one's mind. I love running.

There was a race going the other way as I came back. I hope my ear-to-ear smile helped some to remember to try and enjoy it...

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the comments from yesterday and today on my post - it was fun to do things a little differently image

Back to the norm today - had a cracking 16 mile run, just out and back along some single track, rolling roads.  2:04:35 with the last 5 miles in 37:20.  Felt good throughout.  Enjoy the long runs if you're doing one!

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Some sterling long runs taking place - Chickadee, donaldo, Tinebeest.  Tinebeest - love the feeling when that happens.  

Not going in to work today; son1 had made up the fire in the front room, and it takes extra velocity to escape the front room under those conditions.

LMH - I could skate well enough as a kid, but you're right about the worries about falling over, particularly as I can fall over for catching my toe on a pebble these days. Re can I tell pd stiffness from other stiffness - you're right there too, as the feeling is not unlike the day after a too hard run.  The frozen face is presumably not run related however, so I think on this occasion pd is the culprit.

Ah well, back to the tasks in hand.  Go well all.  Hope our racers are having fun!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

What: 3k or so walked, pushing the uphills a bit harder
    Why: not happy about a baby cow, as Paddy would put it. And where is he by the way?

Lyrics: no

Nice long running and hopefully we will get a couple of race reports later. Meant to ask RFJ whether he was an elite runner today!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Afternoon

What 21.45
    Why LSR
    Lyrics Think so

Had a bit of an odd the last couple of days. Was an old flatmates funeral on friday afternoon. We'd loss contact several years ago asnd only found out through an old mutual freind. Anyway, went for a drink after with one of the other flatmates. Not something I often do these days so was severely impeded the following day.

Any way with 10ish commute Friday and todays LSR weekly total comes out at 70.

Last months stats were 192 over 18 runs with an HM pb.

Will try and read back for the lost two days.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

22 and a bit miles later, cleaned and fed I can now put my feet up image

76.5 miles for the week - my longest for quite some time. Tired but happy.

Tine: souns like a great run - I love that feeling. I noticed the first fresh green today too plus some snowdrops and catkins. Pleeeease let it be spring. Breathing is so much easier in plus 5 than in minus 5 degrees ...

postie & donaldo: good long runs image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hello everybody, not posted on this thread before but I was so excited to recognise the lyrics I thought I'd drop in. Isn't it a bit unfair to only post half of the first line, though?

I ran 22 miles too, because same marathon programme as chickadee.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hiya, 
    welcome literatin, nice mileage! ditto chicka, donaldo, postie, tine...
    Tom - please stick around, its good to have you running with us!
    what - youngest at last xc race of the series, 6th individual overall in the series, team came 2nd overall.
    Me - heading off out for an easy 10 I think,
    why - steady
    last rest - weds
    last hard - yesterdays long one

lyric - yes indeed, great song, great band 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Bath Half today measured 13.21... but hey does not matter as never know if garmins are correct etc....

Aim of today was to run hard and see how I was... answer OK till 10 when I went to push there was nothing there and didn't really suffer, but did lose 5- 10 secs each of the last few miles..... still my second best 1/2 marathon, so am very happy - orgainisation of the event was not the best, was all about get the masses in and having not ran it before didnt know the issues... mainly that once in the runners village its very hard to do any kind of warm up as the secuirty police you and keep telling you you are in the wrong area etc.....

Splits - 6:29, 6:35, 6:28, 6:24, 6:24, 6:25, 6:24, 6:23, 6:25, 6:27, 6:32, 6:32, 6:35, 1.19 (for the last 0.21m) so a good middle the 2 x 6:35s were up an incline. Finished in 1:25:27 on the watch, waiting for gun and chip times....

Take care

• Some good long runs going on here.

Blisters - nice to pick up a county medal - well done.

RFJ - congratulations - must be wonderful to have all those splits starting with 6 and they are for miles not kms! 

Chickadee - fantastic mileage - you must be very pleased with your buildup. Must look out for that movie!

Alehouse - great to see you out there doing the Parkrun - was that the famous Ron H you were talking about who used to compete against Jack Foster?

Dustin - congrats to you youngest, she is very keen, not easy to get kids to run as it is so hard, especially as kids take off so fast that they are completely run out long before the finish.

Tom - you must be pleased that you have found what has been giving you grief. Good luck with your return.

What: 28km - not too bad, but wouldn't have wanted to go any further!

Why: Last chance to get back on track.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice long run, NZC!  Yes, must mention Jack F to Ron: will be meeting up with him again in the next couple of weeks. Agree with your view of kids and running: as a teacher I've had plenty of experience of this!

Well done RFJ:  judging from the "Runners Village" you were in the elite!

Surprised that Wabo hasn't been on with a big grin: nothing to do with running though!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

No on massed as won a free entry, I had to start from 4 pens back (still closish to the start but there were so many slower runner and charity runners in the front 3 pens...) just got the results through 1:25:30 on the chip, 1:26:01 on the gun and 342nd from 9631 finishers...

• RFJ, a great run from you there. It can be a bit busy at Bath. I think I've done it 3 times, and PBd on each occasion. The odd little testy inclines are just there to sort the sheep from the goats. I can still recall going under the railway bridge with a gaggle of youfs and asking them if they were men or boys before powering up that last bit. Well, that's how I recall it. 
    NZC, I feel that your 28k would be through some lovely scenery, do tell more. Better still, a few photos from the course.

In fact, I have an idea. Why don't we all have a go at posting a photo from our regular routes this week? It doesn't have to be an aim to sell your rat run in a holiday brochure, just to add a bit of flavour.

Swim session tonight. Pyramids. I'm pooped now.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Good idea Blisters, might give it a go. image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Blisters/RFJ the battle for Bath in from the 10M point is unremitting - it's dead straight and gradually uphill: some effort for those (like myself) who run (ran) HMs as 10Ms and hang on for the last 5K!! The last 2M is a string of runners grinding away incapable of passing the the man in front and dreading being passed by the man behind.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Nice run RFJ. Impressive consistancy too!

Did I miss Wabo's post?

Welcome literatin.  Nice long run there.  

You too, NZC. Can be really tough to get it together to do the homework for marathon length runs.  It's one of the things I like about running: it's really good training for anything else that requires a drop of gumption.

Like the idea of pics of our runs.  

Hmm, the stairs are actually quite photogenic.  Missed opportunity.  Did 10 ascents today, dead chuffed, because they really were notably easier than last week's effort, same number of reps.  Of course, there is a long way to go: start doing them with weights, start doing them two at a time.  I seem to have difficulty county to more than ten, so maybe not aim for twenty, or else bring a pocket full of pebbles to use as counters.

No ill effects whatsoever from Saturdays longer run.  Will try to get another long run in before the weekend, as shan't be able to run at the weekend.

Go well all.