Shrewsbury Marathon

Hi all

I've been thinking about a marathon and have worked out I should be ready by mid June.  Problem is, there aren't many marathons at that time.  Most of them seem to be very hilly (South Downs). I've come across the Shrewsbury Marathon.  Does anyone know what the route is like?  There are a couple of hills but they don't look too bad.

Has anyone else already signed up?

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• I think it depends on how fit you are. Its my home town marathon and I am unsure about signing up. The two hills are particularly long, but they are steep and as there are four laps they will be daunting the later stages of the race. I may opt for the half marathon as I do want to run in my home town, but I think the marathon might be difficult if its hot and rather tedious over four laps.

• I live in Shropshire and was quite keen when I heard about this a few weeks ago. A look at the course changed my mind. Twists and turns and four laps! I won't be doing it.

The trail marathon along Wenlock Edge, on the other hand, looks quite inviting.

• I think I`ll do it.

Where is the hill?

At the mo, I`m thinking that 4 laps could be a positive; I`ll get more support from family seeing me at least 4 times and they can supply my drinks, etc. Also, worse case scenario, it`s easy to drop out if it is too hot or if I get injured.

• I did a 4 lap marathon a couple of months ago, I found it pretty hard mentally the 3rd and 4th times round. Probably wouldn't do one again.

• I signed up for this one as its both a first for Shrewsbury and myself! Looking to run the course over the next week, so will happily back come and let you know about the course.
  • Nice idea Purc. Cheers.

For me training starts this week (it is 16 weeks to go , isn`t it?). This week I lost 5lbs due to a `tummy bug` so I`ll see how first few `runs` go!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm doing the Half as it's my home town but I don't fancy 4 laps!  I fear one of the hills might be Wyle Cop...

• I thought it skipped around the back near the school?

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It does that too - one of the hills will be either Kennedy or Ashton roads and they're longer but less steep

• yer_maj wrote (see)

It does that too - one of the hills will be either Kennedy or Ashton roads and they're longer but less steep

Doesn`t it skip Wyle Cop?

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/160693474/

• Here's a rough idea of the course

• Quarry- Victoria avenue - Smithfield road - Railway station. (mostly flat, small incline towards the station)
    • Up castle gates, past library (incline), to St Marys St- Dogpole. (flat, slight decline at Dogpole)
    • Back towards The Square - Barker St - towards Sixth Form (flat)
    • Up Claremont bank (steep incline) - down Town walls (decline) to bottom of Wyle Cop
    • Over English Bridge- Logden Coleham ( slight incline) - Kingsland Rd sharp decline (dip) then incline
    • I'm not sure about Kennedy road and Ashton road but will take a look at some future point.
    • Then its back to Kingsland Rd - the English bridge -
    • The quarry is mostly flat along the river but some uphill by the Town Walls and Quarry entrance.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Excellent - it's Dogpole rather than Wyle Cop - still a hill but not as steep!

Kennedy Road and Ashton are both hills - it'll be up one and down the other but neither are too bad

I believe the entire course is what they might call "undulating"...

• The incline is on Kingsland Road. The route turns right off Longden Road by the old brewery, then drops into a dip and then climbs all the way to Shrewsbury School. I'm 53 and not very quick 3.44.41 Chester Marathon, and i've been training on that hill and believe me when I say i'm blowing bubbles when I get to Shrewsbury School.

• Well I`ve started my 16 week programme with this event in mind and spoken to an expert marathoner friend. He says it obviously isn`t a quick course but he`d be concerned about all the hairpin / 180 degree turns and the switchbacks. Are they likely to be as bad as they look? I think he was referring to the bits in the Quarry. I don`t know the paths there well tbh.

• It will depend on how they manage the course...if we've got to run round cones then that'll slow things down. The map provided on the website is a bit vague as it doesn't follow existing paths from what I can see. I won't be in Shrewsbury again until May but plan to run the course to get a feel for it...won't be doing multiple laps though!

• That`s what I thought vellooo. I also hope to get a run around the course at some point.

• The description by Vellooo was spot on and I ran the course the other evening and it sure has a few inclines!! First is from the railway stn to top of Castle Street, but then down hill all the way to the Morris's building before heading up the second incline of Claremont Bank, but again then down hill to the English bridge. Third incline is in the Kingsland part of the course but you do get to come back down on the way back to English bridge. I guess the only other incline would be in the Quarry itself, the map online is completely wrong, so I've emailed the event organiser who came back and said the course in the Quarry is atill to be confirmed!!

All in all the last lap of the course could be the one where the inclines kinda get to them there legs!!

Happy training folks!

• Purc - I must admit, I don`t enjoy the downs later in long races / runs as my feet are usually pretty battered by then! image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ugh, Claremont Bank won't be much fun...

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I'd say that an udulating marathon is good for a first marathon.  And there is a 100 foot climb in it and a 70 foot climb (x4)    These are a challenge, but they are hardly a mountains.

Personally don't see a big problem with the hairpins either.  Not ideal, but I think there are only 2 per lap.

As has already been identified, I'm sure laps could be a mental challenge in one way, but a positive in another.  Not a bad course in my opinion.

• ETE - the down hills are pretty gentle, but not sure what to suggest about the feet situ other than use loads of vaso, it works for me.

yer_maj - no Clarement Bank is likely to be a tad unpleasant, but hey at least it's soon done with. Think the crowd might well gather at the top so perhaps the cheering might help a little!!

Run Wales - agree about the hairpins, should be ok.
  • So I've had to resign myslf to pulling out of the MK marathon due to trapping my sciatic nerve and being out for a few weeks.(I have a final decision dat end of this week...)

Thinking of entering this one instead as gives me longer and is close to family. I know the course though which is putting me off, as not a fan of the undulating. However this will be my first marathon, so I guess means I can get a pb in my 2nd if I choose a flatter course! Was going to be aiminig for sub 4, but I guss I won't be on for this, but instead will try and disregard the time a bit and aim for completion.

Main thing that worries me is the fact its 4 laps, and also the lack of portaloos! Says there will be some at the start, but I know I'll worry throughout the course about this! 

Need to get some decent hill training in (once I can run again). Those will definitely hurt on the last lap....

Also, any idea on number of entries??

• runwiththewind..Immodium Instantsimage

Going to give it a go..nice June day out, may not have snow by thenimage

• Thanks Purc. Must try and get over to Salop for a recce!

Not entered yet but getting closer. 3 weeks training has gone well and even managed 12 miles yesterday, after 5 on Saturday, despite there being about 8 inches of snow and plenty of ice. It was a car dodge, running in the road and occasionally wading through the piles of snow! Looks like we`re ice-bound now for a bit so not sure where to head to for safe running.

• I've entered this, as my first whole marathon, I really hope the course isn't so bad, I didn't know, or think to find out what the route consisted of  image (will have to find some hills to train on ). According to the website the event is now almost full! There doesn't appear to be many details on the website though, and i've received no emails so far from the organisers. It says that there's water stations, does this mean that theres no lucozade sport or energy gels given out at stations?  I can't see any mention about toilets on the route either. Would these things still be yet to be organised seeing as its still 86 days away? Good luck to everyone else running it! image

• TheBluesBrothers wrote (see)

I've entered this, as my first whole marathon, I really hope the course isn't so bad, I didn't know, or think to find out what the route consisted of  image (will have to find some hills to train on ). According to the website the event is now almost full! There doesn't appear to be many details on the website though, and i've received no emails so far from the organisers. It says that there's water stations, does this mean that theres no lucozade sport or energy gels given out at stations?  I can't see any mention about toilets on the route either. Would these things still be yet to be organised seeing as its still 86 days away? Good luck to everyone else running it! image

Well that scared me into action! I`ve now entered. image

• ETE - glad to hear you're all signed up, welcome to the party!!
  • Cheers! Done 15 today. Happy enough tho it wasn't pretty. First 4 weeks if training have gone well but LDRs need some work!
  • Purc72 did the race organisers reply to your questions about the Quarry? I'm signed up for the half.

• Hi all,done 2 laps of shrewsbury marathon course this morning (without going up and down the quarry) hardest part I think is the hill up to shrewsbury school and coming back down,the old legs will be wobbly

by the fourth lap!!!