Sick after training

Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can help, I recently upped my training as I'm running a marathon later this year. The problem I'm having is, after my long training runs I'm feeling very ill and actually vomited today.

Previously I have trained to complete half marathons so not gone past 7or8 miles on long runs. Obviously now I need to get more miles into my legs so have started getting up to 14 and 15 miles.

Physically I'm feel good during my running with only the legs starting to tire towards the end. The problems occur about an hour after my runs, I start to feel really grotty and as mentioned vomited today.

I do my big runs at the weekend so usually get up, have a small amount of cereal and about a pint of water and then hit the road about 20/30 minutes later. I have to admit that I've not been hydrating during my runs (which is probably a mistake) but as soon as I get back I take on water while I'm streching out. I got told my a trainer not to eat for at least an hour after training as eating straight away encourages muscle bulk. Obviously I want to stay lean for distance running.

Previously my half m training long runs were about an hour but now I'm out for just over 2 hours.

Any advise and comments are welcome. Oh and if possible I don't want to have to go out and buy expensive drinks or supplements unless absolutely necessary.

Mark. image

Comments

• Are you serious about not eating for at least an hour after running for over two hours? I think you may need to change the trainer. First time I've heard you'll put on bulk just by eating after an exhausting training session. All these guys in the gym are wasting time and money. 

You won't put on excessive bulk by sensible refuelling with carbs and protein - needed to repair muscle. I think the mainstream advice is to eat within 30 minutes. Try and you may feel better

• Yep protein after training is a must ( well after the duration of training you are doing).

Change your trainer
  • I never eat two hours prior to running a long distance, and when i go out and do long distance i take my Camelbak with me, fill it full of water and add in a couple of zero tablets to keep my electrolytes up, and stop me from feeling ill. I always drink after, normally a lucozade sport, and just eat some chocolate biscuits. Normally best way.

Running is always a learning curve, and you never stop.

• Thanks guys, sorry for seeming a bit of a noob. I had basically come to the conclusion I was doing something wrong with regards to rehydration and refuelling. I'm going to start taking a water bottle out with me and thinking of getting some high five zero tabs to add to the water. And then after my run I'll refuel with something suitable(I'll have to research that)

Thanks againimage

• Hi mark , I use hi five zero for road biking, they are calorie free and superb. I dont drink while running in cooler conditions but im always well hydrated before I leave. A good post run meal is something like omelette and cous cous or egg and brown toast with a some fruit. I eat as soon as im cleaned up.

Thats what works for me, but everyone is different.

Funny because today I ran the bath half and drank some free lucazade(only a gulp or two ) and about 4 jelly babies just because that was what was free hand outs during the race. I couldn't eat until well over a hour after I finished. now all afternoon and evening iv been on and off the bog.

My lesson is dont change what works for you once you find it.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    I will use high 5 zero for an intense treadmill session as I will sweat buckets. On an outdoor run in UK weather up to marathon dsace, water is good enough (and I am someone who has to be careful to up my salt intake for health reasons). On return from a run, recovery is a simple need for some carbs to help glycogen replacement, and a bit of protein for muscle repair. Usually quoted as 4:1 or 3:1 carbs to protein. So a simple milkshake or skimmed milk & nesquik are quite typical if you have no prepared food. Your food will naturally have enough salt in it.
  • Eat after training - your blood sugar is probably hitting the floor.  You don't need to eat a ten-course banquet complete with roasted boar (that would make anyone bulk up) but you do need something to replace what you've burnt off.  It's not good for your body or your brain, and vomiting loses a whole lot of electrolytes.  

I'm always sick if I eat anything rich after a hard run, but I find that a little bit of porridge, a cup of sweet tea and a pear are easy to digest. Long release carbohydrate, glucose, a bit of protein and some vitamins, and cheaper than some fancy recovery drink image

EDIT: reread this and realised that I sound like a right grumpy cow.  Sorry Mark, it's been a long day!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    mark forrester wrote (see)

. I got told my a trainer not to eat for at least an hour after training as eating straight away encourages muscle bulk.

Incredible. This despite seemingly every piece of advice ever saying eat protein within 30mins of a hard run?

Who is your trainer by the way?

ps eating and drinking a pint of water a mere 20-30mins before a run screams "trouble" to me. I'm amazed needing to toilet stop mid run isn't your first problem.

You don't need to hydrate as much as you think unless it's super hot, or you're going over 16miles.

• I can't eat less than 2 hours before running - that makes me sick (literally).  But I do stuff myself (with food and water) at that time.  After 2 hours, I'm good to go.  As for after exercise, you need to eat - the protein isn't for bulking-up, it's for repairing damaged muscle tissue.  We're talking a banana and some nesquik, not great handfuls of whey protein in full-fat milk!

As an aside, I looked at one of the empty bottles of "protein shake" that a colleague guzzles after the gym (brown glass thing - costs £2.80 a go) and it has EXACTLY the same ingrdients as strawberry nesquik - down to the colouring!