IMUK 2013 Bonkers!

Comments

• Not bad Mr Falconer, there's always time for a good 'Bi' joke!

Didn't manage 40miles as my feet were frozen and all feeling had gone from my fingers...clocked 25 miles saturday followed by swim and coach in afternoon.  Brick session sunday which went well.  So happy with the weekend.

Great riding Bones and SKav really good stuff especially with the weather and freeeeeezing conditions!

• Felt drained yesterday so made sure complete REST day, starting to realise how important rest/ recovery days are!

Good sprint and nice easy swim tonight, nothing too crazy, more energy, looking forward to 45 min turbo and 15 min run tomorrow......

And added bonus found a local under advertised duathlon literally on the doorstep in march....'brucey bonus duathlon'.......entered! Good timing cold do with a nice race!
  • 45/15 brick done, toes still started to freeze on turbo in garage but running machines inside in the warm!

Starting to enjoy bricks (doesn't sound quite right but hey ho!)!
  • Sorry I've not been on but not much to say tbh.

Sounds like you are all getting down to some serious training though.

update on my training :- bike most Sundays and started to do one long ish run a week. still no swimming.

• Hey woody, good to hear from you again. This forum a bit stop/start, I think this has to be down to most people either working...training....eating....training...family time....sleeping...or .....training! .....well that's deffo my excuse anyway!

It'll all come together. What sort of mileage are you up to on the bike?
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm around, but again not much to say recently. Hoping that March will bring new motivation, better biking weather, and particularly some proper long bike rides - I still haven't got beyond 3 hours and it's starting to worry me.

I'm heading for Box Hill tomorrow morning for my sixth Ballbuster duathlon, but my first with no marathon training. It will be interesting. The plan is to go straight up to the Triathlon show afterwards, though I've done this before and don't expect to be in a fit state to get much out of it!

TT - wise words about rest days. Knowing when to back off has got to be the key to consistency.

Happy training image.

• Cheers TT Only 40+ miles on Sunday mornings, I know it's not a lot per week, but it's far more than I've done in the past at this time of year, so quite pleased with myself.

All the best Joddly.

• 9.5 mile run this morning then as I was going into gym I was press ganged into an impromptu spin class....then a good swim!

Gardening jobs this afternoon followed by a nice family dinner out....and to top the whole day off...Liverpool are winning!!

Hope everyone good. I have planned a haytor on the moors cycle tomorrow. Try and keep up with everyone's cycling!
  • Hey joddly, I have just done my FIRST 40 mile cycle! It certainly is a whole new world of distance! But I am happy at that and hopefully have time to still build my miles. I do have that 60 mile race soon....should be another barrier crossed...hopefully. How was the show??
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

TT it sounds as though your training is ticking along just fine. You really have a great approach to it all, and with 5 months to go that's essential!

I'm now Ballbusted again until the autumn - it's a tough race (are there any that aren't?), but it feels good to cross the finish line. I was slightly slower than last November but now I'm in the "old ladies" category, and there were only 2 of us in it, so another technical win there! It was pretty cold, and both runs felt tougher than before, so I definitely think it's a race for marathoners.

The Triathlon show was a bit of a slog after all that. I didn't even attempt to go along to the running workshop I'd booked into. Saw Chrissie and Helen mingling with the masses. I'd also arranged to look at the Boardman TT bikes - this wasn't an unqualified success as CB himself was on the stand at the time, and anyway they didn't have a bike in my size (XXL) to try. And I really don't need a TT bike. And Bolton apparently isn't a TT bike course. And it's SRAM. And there's nowhere locally to buy one. And I'd have to show a big improvement at the local TTs.So at the moment, I'm not any further on.

Feeling pretty stiff and sore today, but went out with Mr J for a 90 minute "coffee ride" which has loosened things up a bit.

How was Haytor, TT?

• 'twas great, nothing on the roads and a bloomin great hill to get there....but really enjoyed my first 40 miler, haytor gave me a goal to get there as well so no turning back was allowed!

So bolton no good for tri bars??
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

I think tri bars are OK, because you've got a road bike underneath, but the lack of control of a TT bike isn't.

• Morning all, some great training going on here. Didnt go the the TCR show, just had too much on over the weekend.

Well done on your first 40 miler TT, keep it rising.

Saturday I decided against another long one so blew the cobwebs out a bit and did a 35 miler climbing 2210 ft in 1 hr 55mins, avg 18.2 mph woith an avg cadence of 91.

Straight into a 6 mile run after then stood in my ice bin!

Sunday I did an 8.5 mile run in the sun, felt great.

• Excellent going to have that climb and getting over 18mph, that's still well in dream territory for me!

And........You're starting to like that ice bath business aren't you!?!

Good training bones.

That was what I was gonna go with...tri bars joddly.....as long as I can get used to them, took them off for my Sunday ride but wish I had left them on as the roads were dead first thing. They have gone back on now.

Sprints and a swim for me tonight, rest yesterday, a few races coming up soon so quite looking forward to them!
  • By the way joddly, could you see my haytor ride on garmin connections?? It shows quite a peak for the haytor part!! Brilliant coming down though....if a tad scary!
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Good profile TT! Should have been down on your bars for the descent, though......image

• Yeah, missed out. But it was quite a narrowish lane and scary enough with fingers on the brakes never mind just holding on!
  • Morning all

quick catch up, have missed 3 spin classes this week due to work, only would have gone to one in case you were getting impressed. 6 mile run Tuesday night then 70 length in the pool yesterday morning.

On my cycle home from work last night as i was changing down just before home my gear cable snapped, I now have a single speedimage. I will get it fixed at the weekend though.

Have we all noticed the days are getting longer and brighter and for me the fridge is getting empiter!!

• That's one way to convert to single speed!

Sounds like all going well bones on the swimming.

Yeah appetite deffo going up and up!

Did anyone notice we nearly a third of way through training!?

( can we start tapering yet???)
  • Morning, A third of the way through, oh god thats a worry, wel maybe the weather will warm up by the end of the 2nd 3rd!!!.

SIngle speed for me on my commute this morning and it was great, still gave some a run for their money on the Old Kent Road. Will get it sorted at the weekend though as its good to have a choice!!.

Just deciding on nwhat to do this weekend, any ideas??image

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Whatever happened to Spring? We've got snow forecast for tomorrow! Bones, I hope the bike's sorted now - I guess a ride must be on the schedule for this weekend?

What was a quiet recovery week for me has just got quieter. As soon as I set off for my run this morning, my back started twingeing but it was OK on the uphills, and not too bad on the downs. As I hadn't run properly at all this week I decided to keep going, an it was only an hour. Now I can't stand up straight at all!

It's fine sitting and bending forward, so I did consider a bike this afternoon, but decided not to risk it - if things are the same or better tomorrow, though, I'll have a go.

Wrap up warm, team!

• Yeah, beautiful day today so got a nice run in, then swim and swim coach again this affo.....forecast zero degrees tomorrow...rubbish!

Mother's Day so bit of a spoiling brekkie for my lovely wife then out for 8 ish for another cold ride!

Just when you think...brilliant springs here!

Sorry missed your post bones....I recommend run and a brick and a Sunday feast! ( that nearly rhymes!)

Got the layers at the ready for the morning...again!
  • Is this the thread for those doing Bolton?

Less than 5 months to go and I'm still running in the snow...let's hope it clears up before the day!! image

At least I got 90km done on the bike before it started raining yesterday

• Hey tommy, yep you spot on, we all on the long road to Bolton, good to have you on board the bonkers boat!

Good timing on the bike, inevitably you either time it just right or the heavens open on you when furthest away from camp home!

No snow down in torbay but the cold rains back and it sucks!

Got out for 40 m again today, found it bit easier than last week so good signs.

Had a lovely Sunday roast feast extravaganza this afternoon and if the mighty reds can muster a win i will be a very happy chap!

Looking forward to that all important rest day tomorrow. Ta ta!
  • Sorry timmy, meant timmy not tommy...bloody predictive text stuff!
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi Timmy, and welcome to the Bolton thread. I remember you from the days when we were both iron-distance newbies at the Outlaw training day, and of course your spectacular finish on the day itself! It seems such a long time ago.

No training for me again - my back is still rubbish, though I'm definitely getting better at standing upright. Biking will definitely be the first thing I get back to - just wish I knew when!

Well done everyone else on some good training - especially in the conditionsimage.

• Sorry to hear on the back Joddly, hope gets better soon.  (Tis injury season!)

• Rubbish about the back - still a lot of recovery time left yet though.

I've stepped it up a bit this year from the Outlaw days - my target is to finish in the light in Bolton image