Bolton Hill Marathon

Comments

• The weather has made some of the paths very interesting, lets hope for a bit of sunshine on the day which would make a change to rain,snow and wind! Hope your all ready to high5 me as i will be standing in places around the course cheering you on. Its certainly going to be an emotional and tough day for some of you but it will be all worth while when you cross over the finish line.

The best advise i can give is keep smiling take your time over the first 4 miles and save your energy for the last climb back over the hill.

We will have some high5 energy gels and ISO gels at drinks stations along with some sugar sweets and flapjacks, make sure you take on board some fuel and don't be worried about taking some time out at the aid stations if you need it. Good luck and see you all at the start in 4 weeks image

• Well I'll get a bit of an unofficial recce in the morning. Doing the Anglezarke Amble which looks to cover some of the same route, and certainly similar terrain.

I just hope come race day Phil has baked lots of cakes like the LDWA bunch do.....do you think I'm hoping for a bit much there image

• Do ldwa supply you with gels, medals prizes, goodie bags and uka official marathon and yes we will be supply flapjacks? If you just wanted cakes should have turned to the recce last week we had loads left LOL image
  • D'OH!!

Unfortunately couldn't make last week, had a date with some rice krispie cakes on the Rombald stride image .Was going to come to the previous recce but unfortunately the weather sort of spoiled that one!

• Yeah this weather is driving me mad! All races i entered this year have been canceled and looking at the weather Sunday could be in the same boat!! We are due some nice sunny warm still days lets hope it comes on 10th March for us all!

• hi mate norfolk boy here so what do you reckon trail trainers for march 10th then is it mud a plenty on them there hills ?

• Managed to get around the Anglezarke Amble on Saturday so feeling a bit (only a teeny bit mind) more confident about the real thing. The going was really tough on Saturday - very heavy and boggy - and muddy too. Loved the cake stops though especially the jam butties and Christmas cake.

Great idea about the BHM signal - every time I see someone up Rivi I am wondering if they are a fellow loony. Hope everyone's training is going well image

• AN14 I hope you get plenty of mud and would definitely wear trail trainers, anyone who finishes the marathon clean will be disqualified lol image

• We hope you are all fit and ready for the BHM with just over 2 weeks to go until the big day! All the team are looking forward to seeing you all on the day and giving you you’re “Conqueror of the Hills 2013 Marathon Medal”. Final instructions will be posted on the website Thursday morning and also emailed out to all runners. PLEASE COLLECT YOUR RACE NUMBERS FROM RACE HQ ON THE DAY and this will be signposted from both car parks. Please note in the final instructions there is a minor amendment to the Start/Finish location (100yrds) in the park as Bolton Council have notified us of unforeseen and urgent work what needs to be carried out there, obviously this will have no impact on the marathon distance. We would like to take this opportunity to welcome our latest sponsors High5 to the Marathon; this means that all water/feed stations will in addition carry a limited amount of High5 energy gels and ISO gels. We wish you all good luck and would like to take this opportunity in wishing you well on the day.

• Hi Runners image

I hope you're all as excited as I am about this. Hope the weather is nice for the day!

Just to let you know we will be there from 07:30am - 4:15pm offering Sports Massage, Injury Advice and Rocktape Kinesiology Taping. If you have any existing niggles and you need advice on how best to manage them during the run, then come to us! We are there to help image

All money raised will be going to The National Autistic Society. 

Sports Massage - 10 minute slots - £5

- 20 minute slots - £10

Rocktape Kinesiology Taping - £5

If you would like to pre book to save any queing please either call 01204 770308 or email info@stansfieldsportsinjuryclinic.co.uk, otherwise see you on the day!

Maria image

• /members/images/736866/Gallery/20130219_112926.jpg

Track up to top of Winter Hill. I ran around most of the course today, mostly okay underfoot - if you don't get a bit muddy, you're not doing it right image. Let's hope the weather is like today on race day. Perfect conditions.

•  fab photo - let's hope  the weather's like that on the day image

• Ran about 16 miles of the course on Sunday to find out what it's like and really looking forward to it now.  Followed a poorly printed grey scale os map didnt really help, got lost a few times, but we had fun! Still wondering if my 5 hours estimated time wll be possible.  

got some great photos and video also 

• Well, final destructions are out. Looks like you've got this organisation lark well sorted there Phil, it's nice to see a race giving out such comprehensive advice.

Just plotted the route on maps using the PDF and route details, all looks good. Is it correct that there are a few areas run where paths aren't on the map and it's not open access. I'm not being picky, & I'm sure everything's fine, but don't want to get shot by a farmer if I'm crossing unauthorised land on a part recce!

Looking forward to it image

• Noticed the signs have gone up - its nearly time!

• TWT glad you noticed image signs have gone up! Alfa all route is on access land, the coppice loop is UU land (not on map) although it as a footpath sign either way you will be fine for the whole course on a recce run.Chris i like the photo, are you sure you didnt take that mid summer?

• Cheers for the info Phil.

• Been up there at 6:30am on my bike a few times over past few Saturdays training for the ironman and this has wet my appetite! Only up to 15 miles on the flat at moment, but I'm sure my legs will be up to it.

And I really fancy one of those medals you keep mentioning!

Are there still spot available?

See you tomorrow @ 6:30 anyone who's out there. I'll be the 15 stoner struggling on the road bike!!
  • David, We have a couple of places remain, i think it will be full by Monday/Tuesday next week if not before, it should have been full now but we got supplied 10 extra medals lol

• Finally stopped dithering and signed up. Going to be a nice contrast with running the Groundhog track marathon the day before lolimage
  • I'm inimageDid Hardmoors Osmotherly marathon last Sunday..what a cracker..but legs still in recovery..hope this one isn't as brutal. Never been to Bolton before but good vibe on the forum and nice rural scenery will do me. Trail better than road any day..pity about the VLM entryimage

ps hillrunner..I really hope I don't need a map bud, cos I can't navigate out of a supermarket carpark!!!

• Ben, what a difference running a track marathon then trail in the same weekend! I save the track for training couldn't imagine anything worse than running a marathon on a track!

The route will be full signposted, you should not need your map!!

The race is now full!! You just got in !

• Cheers for reassurance re map reading!! Booked my digs for Saturday night in Bolton..I'm 'good to go'..bring it onimageimage

• Going to be a busy week! Just like to say good luck to all the runners and hope to see you all crossing that finishing line next Sunday image
  • I'm a bit worried about the mention of a map, im hopeless at map reading ? whats the chance of pairing up or joining a group to improve chances of not getting lost?

• U won't got lost , the course is well marked and there are plenty of runners who know the route image
  • Cheers hillrunner and thank you for organising this event. It must take a lot of doing, hope it all goes well. Let's hope for good weather too. Nice fell race today for me before tapering beginsimage

• No problem BR, its taken a lot of voluntary time and effort by some amazing people. We are all looking forward to supporting all you amazing people around the 26.2mile course its going to be a fantastic and emotional day regardless of the weather image

• imageimageimage

hillrunner..where can I get a course profile graph from? I think you mention it earlier in the forum. Just want to gauge where my effort needs to go most!!

Roclites nearly dry from today's event and am sooooo looking forward to my first visit to Bolton in a week.

• brer rabbit, the profile (and loads of other info) is on the run's website: http://hillrunner.org.uk/info2.cfm?info_id=107164