Paris marathon 2013 here we go! A.W's Sub 3 attempt!

Comments

• AW in great form today.

Dorney Lake didn't have a UKA permit so not sure time will definitely count but it shouldn't be a problem  in Paris as long as you get to the head of your pen and you may be able to sort something out at the expo.

• Got a new 10k PB today and the calculators claim it should safely indicate sub 3 (not that I really believe the calculators though!). 38.37 on the watch for 1st lady. No competition on that front, I had to race the fellas. It's a multi terrain (mostly trail) race so won't show as my PB on Po10. Grrrrr. 

Looking forward to AW's report from the race today! We had perfect conditions for racing here today, hope you did too. 

• Great run CC2! Congratulations on your 1st place and new PB, it looks like your in good shape and sub 3 on the cards hopefully.

I've done a couple of races where I have run PB's and they don't get on Po10 as they're not authorised by whoever it needs to be by!? The way I look at it though is it doesn't matter as I know I've run the time, its a PB no matter what.

• On to my race report from Berkhamstead Half Marathon today. I didn't know what to expect from today's race as I had read lots of reviews and looked at the course profile information and it sounded tough, but quick times were possible.

The weather was pretty much perfect for me today, it was a little chilly to begin with but on the whole a great day. No wind, no rain and not baking hot! It was a really nice surprise to see Steve Marathon Coach just coming out of the train station as I walked to the start area, he had decided to come and run also.

After getting myself to the start nice and early at about 9.20am it gave me a good opportunity to sort myself out get my bag dropped off and warmed up. I have to say the organisation was superb at the start and finish, no real queuing of hassle getting ready at all. Had a 10 minute warm up, finishing with a set of 4 strides.

To give you an idea of the course here is the profile.

/members/images/71035/Gallery/Screen_shot_2013-03-03_at_16.17.31.png

As you can see there are two major climbs on the course, but its quite undulating.

I saw Steve again at the start, the gun went off and we were away. The first couple of miles were pretty much down hill, but I held back a bit and eased in to my running.

• I reached the first climb at about 2.5 miles. I found the climb tough but I was passing people all the way up. Off the top of the hill I pushed on, I knew after seeing how much the hill affected my time I was going to have to push hard after the hills to make some time up. I continued to pass people all the way down the hill too, I was pushing really hard now but still controlled.

The second hill which started just after the 6th mile wasn't as tough as the first, but as I was half way through the race tiredness was starting to kick in a little so it felt just as hard as the first. This was a more gradual climb, but we were probably climbing for a good 2 miles. Again I was making good progress and still passing other runners.

I took a gel at about 9 miles, not really because I needed one, but more as a test for when I get to the marathon to see how I'd feel. The gel went down well and I didn't have any adverse reaction. I got caught out a bit just after 11 miles, I thought all the climbs had finished and it was all downhill, but turned a corner and found quite a nasty climb which went on for a good half mile or so. When I got to the top I was hit with massive quadriceps burn, and I struggled for a few hundred metres to get the legs going again.

Thankfully I got the legs working again and hit the big downhill mile to the finish. I pushed it big time here trying to claw back all the time I could. I could see the finish now and pushed all the way across the line!

I'm very happy to report a new PB! I finished in about 1.20.06. (the official results are not up yet) I'm a little disappointed I couldn't make up those last few seconds and go sub 80, but given the course I gave it my all. And its still over 2 minutes off my PB. I think I probably finished in the top 15, but will update when I have the official results.

All in all a good day at the office!

• Splits today - 1.20.06 (approx)

1. 6.04
    2. 6.08
    3. 6.50
    4. 6.16
    5. 5.50
    6. 5.37
    7. 6.45
    8. 6.04
    9. 6.10
    10. 6.00
    11. 5.52
    12. 6.41
    13. 5.13
    14. 0.30
  • Quick question, which time do you take as your PB? Gun or chip?

Anyway official result - 14th place in 1.20.13 (gun), 1.20.11 (chip)! Which do I take as the PB?

• It's like a game of Spot The Hills with those splits AW! Congrats on a fab PB. You never know, the official time might come in a few seconds quicker. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic run AW. I was saying to Shady Ady today at the Surrey Spitfire that I thought you are in sub 80 shape. Well done especially on a roughing course. You must be over the moon!

I ran a progressive race today for 2:28:39 with a 3 1/2 minute negative split so with 10 weeks to go I am beginning to feel sub 3:15 is within my grasp.

Had a great day with Ady, Malcs, and a few others from the forums. Everyone seems happy with their performances.

Once again Alex - a brilliant run. Looking good for Paris now!
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Speedy - fantastic PB (already congratulated you on sub 3:15).

Chip time I would say Alex. How did they decide on positions?
  • Thats settled, on Po10 its down as 80.11, so that'll do for me chip time it is!

Yeah its pretty obvious where the hills were CC2, and the downhills!

Cracking run DS2, a well controlled negative split - a sub 46 10k on top of todays run and your there! Looking good.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    That's good news about PO10! Quite right too!

The profile of my run today was very similar to the Halstead marathon so good for confidence!
  • well done good 10k CC2 -  not sure all MT races are measured to same accuracy as track.

AW had great half - the hills must have cost a good 2 minutes and maybe the downs you get about 45 seconds back and the impressive thing apart from the course is that it came after a heavy week and not an easy day before with four miles at marathon pace and a fast mile.

Re gun and chip, I tend to count the gun one as the main one as when I set PBs back in the 70s and 80s there were no chips! but yes the chip counts as a secondary PB. ie your PB is 80:13 (80:11 chip).

I was first M50 despite a rather sluggish run but do prefer my chip time. The time on the clock was obviously 4-5 seconds out but otherwise very well organised event and very good scenic course, except for it being too hilly!

• My gun and chip times were identical, but then I did start right on the front line. Defending champion's prerogative image

If anything the Rushcliffe course is a little long, which makes it all the more annoying that it doesn't count as my PB. The results are on Po10 already, but it's only listed under 2013 as 10kMT and my PB still shows as Wilne from last summer. Could be worse, my mile and 5k PBs on there are way off my actual ones, run in ARC races. 

• Yeah brilliant PB fantastic running on a tough course you should be delighted.

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Andy if the tight hamstring persists get someone to look at your lower back, this is usually the cause of tights hamstrings and sooner rather than later so you don't get soft tissue changes accumulating.

Sarah

More for information than necessity in this scenario who should I see? A physio, a chiropractor?

• Well done on the PB AW - I could tell it was brewing for you. All the consistent training is paying off. I'm sure a sub 80 isn't far away. At least when this is all over you know what sort of training is involved.
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Well done on retaining first place lady Speedy Goth! I've only ever won one race in my life and that was a British Heart Foundation (dress as a Santa) jog. Think I was the only one racing it mind image

Quality time on what sounds a challenging course AW. Cold light of day it's a 2min PB! 

As for gun v chip I'm chip all the way. As I'm often no where near the start line when the gun goes no way am I going to penalise myself. Different story if you're competing at the front I suppose. 

For me I did 1:27:59 (142nd out of c6500) at Silverstone today. 30 seconds outside my distance PB but I'm really pleased as I ran controlled throughout at about 8/10 HM effort.In truth I never went for a PB so was a little suprised to be quite close.  I was mindful of the hammy as I felt it at times on the bends and pretty much cruised in for the last mile. Feel fine afterwards but guess I might have to nurse the hammy abit to taper. At this race last year I bonked at mile 10 chasing my first sub130. I finished in 1.31:45 with an ave HR of 175. Today I did sub 130 at relative ease at 167bpm. Progress.image

PS Scott Overall won in 105:41

• Good PB Speedy.

Great run at Silverstone Andy, I think judging by the hammy, that's a very positive result for you.

Had a good 20 mile training run in 2.27.41 (unofficial PB as I have only done 1 20 mile race) with a negative split of nearly 11 minutes. First half was hilly and windy and came out 1.18.30. Then I upped the pace a bit for next 2 miles to around 7.40 - 7.30 pace. Next mile came out at 7.15 and all the rest were sub 7 min pace (6.5x) with last 4 miles in 6.40, 6.30, 6.26, 6.45. Where did that come from?
  • Progress indeed AndyV. Hope the hammy is improving continually. 

KR - are you marathon training? You must be if you're doing 20 milers. Which one?

• Doing Manchester at the end of April Speedy. Supposed to be a flat one - they all say that though!

• Awesome running Alex and well done Steve.   All looking good for Paris.   Starting to look like a sub 2:50 attempt!

A 1:27 for me yesterday followed by a 6 mile jog - given I wasn't feeling great and pre-race prep involved two hours on knees clearing up after my son's party I was chuffed.  Felt fine but had a repeat of problem of cold buttocks leading to a bit of tightening up.   Will try skimpy shorts next time!  

For those doing Paris my advice is to try to get to the front of your pen but then go with the flow until it opens up - when I did it I was way back from the front at the start and I used up a loads of energy in the first 6 miles stressing to overtake people by running up and down pavements etc to catch up the 3 hour pace man which I then regretted later on.  

• AW

That is a fantastic achievement this weekend. You are true athlete - never happy & wish could have done just a little better! I think this is a great trait in a runner, it is what keeps you going.  I am just so pleased for you and sub 80 is coming!

How did the carb load go? Glad gel went down well when you where tried - good sign!

I am still working away at restaurants as I am trying to keep eating places in evening (before race) within 0.5 mile from hotel  (have 3-4 option but getting my sister to phone them up to check a couple of things as she lives in Paris, although not in the area you are staying so is not being much help with personal recommendations! so going on reviews from trip advisor!). Paris eating places can be small so need to make sure it is a good atmosphere with good suitable food, without being too tight for space etc  but pizza option will be there for you!

• Steve - A good result.

Sarah - Thank you, it feels like the hard work is paying off now. My focus is still firmly on Paris and doing a good job there though.

AndyV - Great running, coming so close to your PB and not really pushing it and trying to run a PB is a great sign.

Good solid 20 miler KR, cracking pace on the last few miles too. That must give you loads of confidence going into the last couple of months training?

Good running from you too Nutterman, given the pre race prep, could have been quicker?? Don't think sub 2.50 is going to be attempted this time around, sub 3 hour is still the goal, any extra under will be a bonus.

• Ruth,

Carb loading went well, I followed all the guidelines except the odd yogurt. I've decided to stick to pasta instead of the pizza as the last few times I've had pizza I've had a few stomach issues. I'm not sure if its the volume of food or the amount of cheese on it or what.

The last couple of long runs and race I have just gone for cereal and toast for breakfast, some kind of cereal bar and piece of fruit as a snack mid morning. Sandwiches and a bit of fruit for lunch, a jam sandwich mid afternoon, wholewheat pasta with a pretty basic tomato sauce for dinner and that seems to work well, with a bowl of weetabix with a bit of dried fruit before bed. I also had plenty of liquid and a couple of coffees.

The morning of the race I had coffee, cereal and a piece of toast 3.5 hours before and then a banana 1.5 hours before with an energy drink to sip on.

I think this has worked quite well so will try and replicate.

• Beautiful day for running today where I am. Had a 6 mile recovery run, legs feel really good today. No real soreness or anything, took it really easy and kept about half of it on softer ground.

I thought I'd be stiffer as it was a fairly big effort in the race yesterday, but everything seems ok.
  • Note - I'm not doing Lydd half this week now as I got yesterday done at Berkhamstead. Will be doing a 20 miler instead. I'm on a training weekend this. Week too, so total mileage will likely be in the 60's I would think.

Week 12

Mon Mar 4: rest or 5M easy

Mar 5: 5 x 1600 in 5:50-6:00 starting every 7 mins 30 (8M in total)

Mar 6: 12M slow in 7:45 to 8s

Mar 7: 8 mile with 36 mins alternating minute paces of 10K, marathon, fast jog

Mar 8: 5M easy or rest

Mar 9: 5M slow with strides or training weekend.

Mar 10: Lydd HM or training weekend (15M)

week total: 53M
  • some good running Nutterman, KR and Andy as well as of course CC2 on her win and AW on his big PB.

My legs not too bad today and thought the 5:40 downhill miles may have caused problems to delicate knees and hamstrings but saw chiro yesterday and seem fine but will find out on track tonight how recovered I am.

Sign of age I suppose I can only run 5:40 miles on big descents in half-maathon when used to run 5:40s on flat in marathon. Little sign of aging though from Martin Rees who ran 71 minute world record half at 60 years of age atBath. He finished just ahead of 2011 Asics super six marathoner Pete who did a big PB of 71 himself.

• A.W wrote (see)

Ruth,

Carb loading went well, I followed all the guidelines except the odd yogurt. I've decided to stick to pasta instead of the pizza as the last few times I've had pizza I've had a few stomach issues. I'm not sure if its the volume of food or the amount of cheese on it or what.

The last couple of long runs and race I have just gone for cereal and toast for breakfast, some kind of cereal bar and piece of fruit as a snack mid morning. Sandwiches and a bit of fruit for lunch, a jam sandwich mid afternoon, wholewheat pasta with a pretty basic tomato sauce for dinner and that seems to work well, with a bowl of weetabix with a bit of dried fruit before bed. I also had plenty of liquid and a couple of coffees.

The morning of the race I had coffee, cereal and a piece of toast 3.5 hours before and then a banana 1.5 hours before with an energy drink to sip on.

I think this has worked quite well so will try and replicate.

Very happy with this and would be great to do this for at least 2 whole days before Paris!

• Just finished a really good track session of 8 x 1000m reps with Steve and his training group. Can't remember what the recoveries were, just ran when Steve said go!!

Really nice to run with others in a session like this for a change. Legs were being a little lazy, and really wasn't feeling very fresh at all after Sundays half, but pleasantly surprised with the times I was putting in on the reps. Definitely helped being in amongst other runners today, if I was on my own I think I would have been much slower!

Will post splits in a bit when I get home and can download from my GPS.