Asics training starts now...!!

Comments

• OOOOps bit of a technical hitch there!!!!.....

Sunday – 8 miles

Off I toddled with my sister, my daughter and the dog over the South Downs!!.....I felt slow but didn’t push it and listened to my body….felt good when I ran past the cyclist going up a hill!!!!......image

Then I had a bit of a sprint when the police saw me on a “No dogs allowed” part of Arundel park!!!.....imageIt was the only time in our life we could run away for the police and it looked like we were supposed to!!!!.....made us laugh a lot…. imagehe was very nice when he caught up with us……even told us not to stop running...!! So thank you Sussex police for being so understanding!!!!.....

Another amazing week……really surprised at how my body has reacted and how tired I have been….I have given myself full permission this week to rest as much as I can, and not run around with my hair on fire every day!!!.....image

Mileage this week - 26 ( recovery week)

Mileage next week - 37 image

• I haven't run yet since the last race.  Going to give it a fortnight off.  No beef dripping.

• wiggly worm wrote (see)
    Thanks Ruth. I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. How many 18 milers have I completed before? None, that's as far as I've ever run!!
    I had porridge and banana before and 3 gels plus water in the 3 hours I was out. I guess I could have had more gels, other than that it just leaves the distance image

Hi

Yes, you could have had more gels but I am not sure they would have made a huge difference, perhaps a little less depleted, but  I think it was the distance and this will get easier. 18miles takes a lot of recovery, more so when it is a new distance!Well done on getting to this milestone.

• Mel

High mileage takes it toll and listening to your body is such a good skill to have. Sounds like your body is recovering and ready to start going again! 

• Hi Ruth,

After reading your last few posts on high mileage taking its toll, it makes me feel better. Yesterday, I went out to do my 20 miles and while I felt tired from mile 12 to probably 16 were the worst. I dont know if that was the impact of the long run the week previously of 18 (which I found ok) but when I finished rather than feeling great about the achievement, I just felt exhausted.  The thoughts of having to do another 20 miler is really not appealing. Should the next one be easier? This week is a rest week so much lower mileage, which might help.

Finally just to get your opinion on my nutrition during run (approx time 3.30hours)...I had one gel beforehand then 1 x isogel after 5, 12 and 17 miles 

1 x shot block after 8.5 miles, 13.4, 15  and 19 miles

I also sipped electrolytes drink on way round.

Lastly, what would you recommend as best food to eat over the last 2/3 weeks before race?

• Hi Mel, just dropped in for a catch-up. Hope this week is going well so far. Lots of early nights in the build-up to that peak long run at the weekend!

For everyone else, if at all possible, don't do 2 20 milers in a row if you aren't accustomed to running these distances. You need an easier week between them to aid recovery. You don't want to be feeling scared/daunted about forthcoming long runs.... leave that for the race!image

• Sarah Conway 6 wrote (see)

Hi Ruth,

After reading your last few posts on high mileage taking its toll, it makes me feel better. Yesterday, I went out to do my 20 miles and while I felt tired from mile 12 to probably 16 were the worst. I dont know if that was the impact of the long run the week previously of 18 (which I found ok) but when I finished rather than feeling great about the achievement, I just felt exhausted.  The thoughts of having to do another 20 miler is really not appealing. Should the next one be easier? This week is a rest week so much lower mileage, which might help.

Finally just to get your opinion on my nutrition during run (approx time 3.30hours)...I had one gel beforehand then 1 x isogel after 5, 12 and 17 miles 

1 x shot block after 8.5 miles, 13.4, 15  and 19 miles

I also sipped electrolytes drink on way round.

Lastly, what would you recommend as best food to eat over the last 2/3 weeks before race?

Hi

Sam - has answered your first point which is great as I would have been suggesting that Sam answers this!

On you run you had over 100g of carbs which is enough for a training run and in a race I would not suggest going over 50g of carbs per hour for most (2 gels or 6 shot bloks per hour).

In really high mileage weeks, unless you have unnecessary body weight too lose, you should increase carbs but then as you taper reduce portions and snacks. Then 2-3 days before marathon go back to eating as if you where doing high mileage again. I know that is very vague but need more details on you and your diet to answer in any further detail.

Well done on getting those big miles done!

• Mel, I have sort of made a decision for you! about a restaurant the night before Marathon (6th) and in process of getting this booked. This is the one: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d3534218-Reviews-Il_Piccolo_Rifugio-Paris_Ile_de_France.html . The problem this year is that the area you are staying in only has small eating places so sitting 17 was the problem so close to the hotel but this restaurant has suggested that we book it all out for private eating (it only sits 23 in total anyway) and because it has good reviews etc I just thought this was really going to be the best option.. If you want to give me an idea of what you want (perhaps we can wait a couple of weeks before doing this) I have email contact so we can do this but they have Pizzas and topping of your choice (so little or no cheese could be an option!), pasta and regular tomato sauces or other typical Italian dishes (although would advice no creamy sauces!) and also do rice options. I have suggested we book for 6.30pm.

The night before you are not likely to be eating until 9pm as you do not arrive in Paris until 6pm, then go straight to expo so I think best suggestion is to eat  at one of the two Italians only 200-400m form the hotel. I still need to confirm they will take the number we need etc so trying to do this today. These two restaurants are ranked lower than the above by trip advisor but still good reviews. I will send link once I know these choices are going to be possible. Restaurant choices has been a little tricky this year,   as little website info on eating places in this area of Paris etc hence time this has taken and no menu available to give you links.

• Some information just to start you thinking/remind about race day (not sure you will thank me for that one!).

• The marathon starts at 8.45am. You are likely to be leaving hotel around 7am. So remember to pack a snack and choice of fluid in bag that you may be having in-between breakfast & race start. Check all belts/gels/ sweets again before you leave are in order.
    • Every 5km there will be bottles water and sponge station (may be useful towards end if hot). There is also dried fruit and fresh fruit at these stations but suggest you stick to your practiced plan.
    • At 22km (around 14miles) there is PowerAde available but only at his time. I would be happy if you wanted to mouth wash with this but probably nothing more unless you know for sure this won’t cause you stomach problems.
  • Hello hello! how has your week been Mel? Hope it's been good and you've felt revived after the recovery week last week.

I'm off to Devon for The Grizzly on Sunday and then staying on an extra few days so will check in on the forum to see how your 20 miler goes but not sure if I've mastered posting from my phone, Luddite that I am image Best of luck with it!

• Before I go.... here are the remaining 4 weeks of the programme for Mel. 

Week 13 w/c 11th March (3 WEEKS OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 4 mile jog OR NON IMPACT CROSS TRAINING IF FEELING SORE FROM LONG RUN
    Wednesday 6 mile run (1 MILE EASY, 1 MILE STEADY, 3 MILES FAST, 1 MILE EASY)
    Thursday REST
    Friday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE then 3 x acceleration strides then 2 x 800m (or 4 MINS) at 7.55-8.10 MIN pace with 3 min jog, 2 X600M (OR 3 MINS) at 7.35-7.40 pace with 3 min jog, then 1 x 400m (or 2 mins) at 7.10-7.25 MIN/MILE. 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (5 MILES)
    Saturday REST OR NON IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Sunday 14 MILES: 9 MILES @10-20-10.30, 5 MILES 9.50-10 mins per mile
    Mileage 29

Week 14 w/c 18th March (2 WEEKS OUT)
    Monday REST OR NON IMPACT CROSS TRAINING
    Tuesday 4 MILE JOG
    Wednesday 5 MILE BUILD UP  9.20-8.40
    Thursday 4 MILES COMFORTABLE PLUS 3 X ACCELERATION STRIDES
    Friday REST
    Saturday LONG RUN 9 MILES COMFORTABLE
    Sunday 3 miles STEADY
    MILEAGE 25

Week 15 w/c 25th March (1 WEEK OUT)
    Monday 4 MILE JOG
    Tuesday REST
    Wednesday 1 MILE EASY 4 X 2 min INTERVALS WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERIES, 1 MILE EASY (4)
    Thursday: REST
    Friday 4 MILE BUILD UP 9.20-8.50
    Saturday REST
    Sunday 6 MILES AT GOAL RACE PACE
    MILEAGE 18

Week 16 w/c 1st April RACE WEEK
    Monday 3 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE, 2 MILES MP, 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (4 MILES)
    Wednesday REST
    Thursday 3 MILE JOG
    Friday Intervals: REST
    Saturday 20 MINS EASY PLUS 3 ACCEL STRIDES
    Sunday RACE DAY

• Hi Ruth.....Sorry you were unable to come lat weekend!!!...we all missed you!!!!!!......

However You have been busy!!!!....The restaurant looks lovely.....quick question, though...why would you have a pizza with no or little cheese night before a run...???....

Your mention of Paris is making it all come about so quickly!!!!....and making me feel quite ill at  the thought of it!!!!...wahhhhhimage

I have 20 miles tomorrow as a race ( not me racing...ill be the plodder...!!!) .....so will be really interesting to put myself in marathon conditions......I'm using tomorrow as my final practice!!!......yikes.....however means I can sit around most of today eating????.....!!!!!....I'm giving jelly babies a go every mile with gels as you suggested.......It was the psychologists suggestion to play the jelly baby game every mile so I thought I would give it a go......

Would you agree with that from a nutrition point of view....take 30 odd jelly babies.....aim to take one per hour.....before you look at the jelly baby...you have to guess the colour.....if you get the colour right you can have 2!!!.....image.....we are such simple creatures!!!!

• Hi Sam.....ohhhh the grizzly...that sounds interesting????......hope you enjoy it!!!!image

I have done all I can this week to make sure I'm tip top for tomorrow!!!....

Its been so bizarre.....has just gone to show how the body needs to recover....I have struggled this week and have felt like i have been running like a hippo.....imagemy speed session was good and really enjoyed it.....but my runs have been heavy and sluggish.....have been really worried about Sunday......imagebut I went out yesterday for 4 miles steady and felt great again!!!....image.so hopefully I'm back on track.....I was starting to think I had lost my fitness and my legs had been stolen and replaced by someone else's!!!.....I had the enthusiasm but nothing to back it up with!!!!.....felt like a right fraud!!!!.....just goes to show!!!!

So today just pootling easy day...and tomorrow I'm treating as a practice marathon day.....I will of course let you know how i got on......and like you, not from my phone, as I am also a luddite and don't know how to!!!!!......Good Luck on Sunday!!!!image

• Sarah Asics.....Just thought I would say Hello!!!!......Just because.!!.....didnt want you to think because I had no pains I wasnt thinking of you!!!!!image

• Sarah Conway....I cant believe you managed to do your first 18miles ...then a week later your first 20....I'm not surprised you were pooped!!!!......i hope you have a bit of a rest now......Iv had 2 weeks between long runs, so will be really interesting to see how my body copes.....especially using your experiences as we seem quite similar!!.....image

Wiggly worm seems to be fairly similar too....i wonder how they are getting on!!!!.....image.....We were both suffering on the same day and same time post 18 mile aches!!!!!!

• Mel I keep popping on and that's exactly what I want to see! Good luck tomorrow it's good to do a test run my hubbie is running Stafford 20 so I'm cooking pasta tonight!!

• Hey Mel, how lovely of you to think of me - you've made my day!!

I did my 20 miles earlier today. I'm now sitting around in my dressing gown and compression socks - very attractive, I can tell you image

It went pretty well, probably better than the 18 miler if I'm honest. I took on board some of Ruth's advice and spent yesterday stuffing myself with carbohydrate. I started off quite healthily with porridge, banana and wholegrain toast for breakfast, but by 9pm I had lost control with a packet of jelly beans and what was meant to be a handful turned into the whole family sized bag - oops!!

Anyway, I didn't run out of energy (!) and even managed a fast (for me) final mile. I am now just as exhausted as I was after the 18 miles and achy too. I guess that just goes with the territory for us first timers?!

I will be thinking of you tomorrow and willing those last miles to fly by. The only advice I can give you at this stage - eat more jelly beans! Good luck - let us know how you get on image
  • Hi Mel,

Well due to my time restrictions over the coming week,  I went out and did my second 20 mile at the weekend but as I had only run once during the week, I didnt find it as bad as the first one.  It also helped that it was back in Ireland with a friend so I got to run and be sociable at once. I'm now feeling more positive about it all and looking forward to the next few weeks of lower mileage.  How did yesterday go for you?

• Hey Wiggly worm....I don't think it would be possible to only stop at a hand full of jelly babies!!!image...I don't know why we buy family packs as we only eat them all!!!.....My 20 miles went very well thank you.....imagebetter than I expected!!!....having been so tired recently I really thought I was going to suffer.....but I felt great and it has now given me huge amounts of confidence about Paris....!!!....I didn't have the pleasure of sitting round looking as beautiful as you though for the afternoon!!!!.....( that's a lovely image!!!!!)image

I did take jelly babies with me on the run.....and I most certainly will on the marathon too.....they were great along side gels.....!!.....

I'm hoping the more long runs we do, the less intense the post run aches will be.....at least now we know the intensity of them....and no i would never ice bath!!!!.......much rather paracetamol!!!....

Do you have another long one before the big day....?? image

• Hi Sarah 6......well done two 20 milers!!!!.....imageand so promising that you didn't find it as hard as the first one!!!.....I have to admit I found my 20 miler yesterday easier than my 18miler two weeks ago.....maybe its because I had an idea of what to expect......but yes like you...far nicer running with friends to chat the miles away and distract you from whats going on!!!!....image.....Any more long runs before the big day???.....

• Glad to hear your 20 miler went well, Mel. Funny that you, me and Sarah 6 all found our 20 miles better than the 18. Must be the jelly babies image

Fantastic to be feeling confident for Paris! I'm sure so much of this running thing depends on what's going on in your head. If you believe you can do it, it's as good as done, in my book!!

Would you be willing to divulge your average pace for your 20 miles? Mine worked out at 10:29 min/mile pace. I'm really curious to see what pace Sam suggests you run in Paris and then whether I'm up to keeping up....

Good luck with the rest of your week. The hard work is done now - well apart from the race itself!! I I sometimes forget what this is all for!! I've got one more long one in two weeks time and then that's me done too image
  • melaniejayne wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.....Sorry you were unable to come lat weekend!!!...we all missed you!!!!!!......

However You have been busy!!!!....The restaurant looks lovely.....quick question, though...why would you have a pizza with no or little cheese night before a run...???....

Your mention of Paris is making it all come about so quickly!!!!....and making me feel quite ill at  the thought of it!!!!...wahhhhhimage

I have 20 miles tomorrow as a race ( not me racing...ill be the plodder...!!!) .....so will be really interesting to put myself in marathon conditions......I'm using tomorrow as my final practice!!!......yikes.....however means I can sit around most of today eating????.....!!!!!....I'm giving jelly babies a go every mile with gels as you suggested.......It was the psychologists suggestion to play the jelly baby game every mile so I thought I would give it a go......

Would you agree with that from a nutrition point of view....take 30 odd jelly babies.....aim to take one per hour.....before you look at the jelly baby...you have to guess the colour.....if you get the colour right you can have 2!!!.....image.....we are such simple creatures!!!!

Hi Mel

The pizza question - the cheese is not really needed (all fat and you don't need this night before.. will be enough fat  from the olive oil in/on the pizza!). Trying to keep most of your calories form carbs not fat and protein as this will keep your overall calorie intake down in the days before the race.

are you planing on running for 30 hours .....image "Would you agree with that from a nutrition point of view....take 30 odd jelly babies.....aim to take one per hour" 

I do agree with mind games and each runner will use different type of mind games to help them in the "hard" miles but if using a gel which has around 25g & a jelly baby has only around 4.8g per sweet  then you do need to have  around 5 sweets to one gel but mixing with both gels and sweets I am more than happy with as long as it stick to what your total carb intake should  be each hour!  

• Hey Mel, 

you are doing so fantastic with your training and your enthusiasm is infectious!!

Good luck for the last few weeks before the big day, I hope you enjoy it, Im sure it will be a fantastic day and a wonderful city to run in image

Iv just got a quick question about your gels/jelly babies, how do you carry them around with you? Iv read a few people mentioning gel belts but I really get irritated with anything like that when I run, I cant even handle a jacket never mind a belt or bum bag haha. Just wondered how you or any one else does this?

Good luck again

• Hi Mel,

Congrats on your 20 miler. Its great that you enjoyed it too as it means now that you will be positive for Paris run.  I like the look of your training plan for the next few weeks. I'm on a similar wind down albeit, not doing as many days of running. I have a half marathon on the 24th in Marlow so that will be my last run major run and then everything under 10 miles. I'm hoping my body doesnt forget how to do the distance come race day image

Wiggle worm are you running Paris too?

• Hi Sarah

Not Paris, but London so six weeks to go and time for one more long run....Are you doing Paris? Is this your first marathon? First time for me! Very excited!!
  • Hi wiggle worm,

Wow London will be a great first marathon. I supported last year and found the day inspirational...unfortunately my ballot entry wasnt in my favour for this year. Yes, Paris my first marathon and at the moment I'm saying only one, but who knows.

I hope the remainder of your training goes well. Have you more long runs to do?

• I have been very slack at putting up last weeks summery!!!!......In not so many words....it was a really tough week...!!!

It was my highest mileage week and i was still so tired, so my aim for the week was to just to get though it.... rest when I could and lots of early nights.....

My runs felt heavy and uncoordinated.....But when I looked at my timings of my speed session it wasn't so bad after all.....

1 mile @ 8.08 pace

1 mile @ 8.03 pace

1 mile @ 7.39 pace

I ran at the Paces Sam set, but just found everything hard, I think someone put lead weight in my shoes!!!...!!!!...Sundays 20 mile Worthing road race was looming and I was really worried!!!

Then come Friday...my legs started to work again on a 4 mile steady......And by Sunday...I was buzzing and just wanted to get out there and play!!!!.....image

Sunday really surprised me.....I was full of energy...and huge amounts of enthusiasm.....!!!.....and wee.....I had to stop twice through the run!!!!....one time in a petrol station as I couldn't find a bush as it was a town run!!!......don't know what that was all about!!!!...grrrrrr to my bladder...!!!.....however it has given me confidence that although not ideal, you can go for wee stops during the marathon....!!!image

Sam had set me goal paces to stick to through the run......

10miles @ 10.20 - 10.30 then 5 miles @ 10 then last 5 miles @ 9.50.......

It was hard sticking to the pace at the beginning, but I did, may have been a little fast at times, but nothing outrageous......so my average pace throughout the 20 miles was 9.55 but that was including 2 wee stops!!!!.....So I was really pleased....took my gels according to Ruth, and had my jelly babies....didn't take the jelly babies every mile as I think it may have made me feel sick!!!!...But yehhhh.....ready for Paris....this run gave me huge amounts of confidence!!!!....image

• Hi Ruth.....I'm a very slow runner you know....so it could be 30 hours!!!!!.....image......having used the jelly babies and gels on Sunday...I couldn't take a jelly baby every mile as I would feel sick!!!!......imageso just every now and again will be my plan....along side gels.....who would have thought I would actually grow to like gels!!!!

Thank you for the pizza advice although it does make me feel a little sad!!!image

What the total carb intake in an hour again????

And can you believe 2 wees on Sunday!!!! ...and I actually needed to go....it wasn't just a thought!!!!.....really....does my bladder NOT understand!!!!.....I had my tea and 200mls at 7am......race was at 9.30....and I went for a wee before the start at 9am.....I think I'm going to insert a catheter...!!!!.....image......

• Sarah Asics.....If you pop in.....some advice....not for meeeee, but my eldest daughter who has a left sided groin strain.....I hope through running and nothing else!!!!!image......she also has a sore left hip.....any advice.....???...I have suggested she rest it, do some gentle stretching and perhaps go and see my lovely sports therapist.....but of course I am her mother and she would never like to take any advice off me.....so maybe if we have some advice in writing from you....she may listen!!!!!.....

I wont tell you I am niggle free as I might break the magic......!!!image