2013 New Year New PB's

Right with the New Year rapidly approaching I think it is time to take stock of what I have achieved in the last year and what I hope to achieve in 2013. It would be good to see what targets other people are aiming for in 2013 and how they are going to get there. So with out further ado in 2013 I aim to achieve the following

5k - anytime under 18 minutes (current PB 18.34)

10K - 38 minutes (PB 39.01)

1/2 mara - 1:19:xx (PB 1:23:49)

Mara - under 3 hours (PB 3:03:34)

I am going to achieve these by training smater and eating less cheese, though I believe red wine and beer to beneficial to the running process. What targets/resolutions do other people have?

Comments

• Sub 20 min 5k (Currently 21:40)

New Pb for 5 miles (Currently 33.30)

Sub 42 min 10k (Currently 42:47)

My times have improved nicely in the last 3 months just by training regular with new running club, so basically more of the same, and I'm sure it'll happen.

• Sub 22 min 5k (currently 23m 30s)

Sub 36 min 5m (currently 38m 36s)

Sub 45 min 10k (currently 49m 40s)

Sub 1 hr 45 min half marathon (currently 1hr 58m 15s)

Joined a running club 5 weeks ago and already experiencing improvements due to a more structured approach to training. Hopefully, I can stay fit and healthy in 2013 and achieve my goals.

• Sub 34 min 10K

Sub 3hr Marathon

• I'd like to get the following over the next 12 months:

10K: Sub 36 mins

5 mile: Sub 29 mins

1 mile: Sub 4:50

10 mile: Sub 60 min

Half Marathon: Sub 79 mins

The above are realistic but tough. It'll be interesting to see how things go. First test is 5 mile road run in Feb.....aim sub 29 mins!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    guv001 wrote (see)

Sub 34 min 10K

Sub 3hr Marathon

Interesting couple there. Clearly you're biased to short speed, over long distance!

• want an ironman PB this year but until the training unfolds in the next few months will not have a clue as to what i will aim for........will train and then assess the targetimage

• I want to run my first marathon in under 3:15. I have no plans to eat less cheese, though.

• Jamie Newton 2 wrote (see)

I'd like to get the following over the next 12 months:

The above are realistic but tough. It'll be interesting to see how things go. First test is 5 mile road run in Feb.....aim sub 29 mins!

Oh well.......the 5 mile run in Feb wasn't too successful. I didn't crack 29 mins, I got 29:10. But I did finally crack my 5 mile goal yesterday enroute to a 10K in 36:10. The 5 mile time was 28:56!

So thats one goal accomplished so far this year....

• Jamie........10 secs both time image...well done on getting one of the targets

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

have managed to break a couple of my targets already this year, but looking back I never made them public! Oh well.

• seren nos wrote (see)

Jamie........10 secs both time image...well done on getting one of the targets

Cheers bud. It did hurt but was worth it.....

2nd goal of the year now achieved. I beat 60 mins in a 10 mile race. Actual time was 59:06.

Just the 10K and 1 mile goals to go now.......

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Jamie, you can't count splits in races as pbs image

But well done on the 10miler tho.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Forgot all about this thread. First marathon completed in 3:06:16. Hurrah!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Jamie, you can't count splits in races as pbs image

But well done on the 10miler tho.

Fair enough fella. Theres hardly any 5 mile races locally.....at least not till October. But having gone faster than 29 mins enroute to a 10K indicates at least to myself that it is a goal surpassed. Either way, it was back in March; I should be comfortably inside 29 mins for 5 miles now, but I'll wait for October for the official result....fingers crossed no injuries before then!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, you should definitely be fine the next time out..

although i remember i beat my 10mile in a half once, and took ages to officially beat the 10!

it became a saga!

• Its strange that isn't it? A fellow competitor at the weekend ran a faster 10 mile time enroute to a half marathon a few weeks before and on paper should have got a PB.

Hell, we're all human, not machines.....there are plenty of other influencing factors.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

one aspect is sometimes the 10miles might actually be net down within a half marathon, with the inclines in the last 3miles...

similar to 5miles within a 10k...

There's also the element that you're taking your own splits, which can never be as official as an official time.

Do a race that has official splits...that's a different story maybe,

• One mile goal for the year accomplished last night. Back in January I was hoping for sub 4:50 and I blagged a 4:49 last night.....close!!

There was a lot of other runners participating and I spent a lot of time in lanes 2 & 3, so I might have shaded a couple of seconds more on a less well attended event.

Sub 36 min 10K is next goal on the cards with a bit of luck.

How is everyone else's 2013 going?

• I think I was being very optimistic when I set my targets back in late December! Haven't set a pb at all this year. However I usually pick it up in the second half of the year so here's hoping! Though the marathon pb may have to wait until London next year......

Well done Jamie on your PB's so far. You in training to beat the 10K PB?

Literatin congratulations on your first marathon and what a time. Did you enjoy your first marathon experience?

How is everyone else getting along? 

• targets for year were and are : sub 17 5k, sub 35 10k, sub 28 5 miler and sub 80 half.

i've got the sub 17 5k and sub 28 5 miler but the sub 35 10k has evaded me thus far! Half to come in september but think 80 for first one a bit of a stretch.

have won 2 parkruns now too which was something i'd hoped to do .

in summary plenty done but plenty to do !

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Stan Trinket wrote (see)

Literatin congratulations on your first marathon and what a time. Did you enjoy your first marathon experience?

oh, y'know, it was all right... image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    tommygunn wrote (see)

i've got the sub 17 5k and sub 28 5 miler but the sub 35 10k has evaded me thus far! Half to come in september but think 80 for first one a bit of a stretch.

I'd have thought a sub 80 was a given off those times tommy

• Stan Trinket wrote (see)

I think I was being very optimistic when I set my targets back in late December! Haven't set a pb at all this year. However I usually pick it up in the second half of the year so here's hoping! Though the marathon pb may have to wait until London next year......

Well done Jamie on your PB's so far. You in training to beat the 10K PB?

How is everyone else getting along? 

Thanks Stan,

Yea, I've got two 10K road races in 7 days next month.....I'm training hard for them. Both are difficult hilly courses though. Fingers crossed I should blag sub 36 mins for at least one.

I did do a measured 4 mile time trial on the flat yesterday and came in at 22:38. So hopefully with a nice taper and race day nerves I might be able to keep that pace up for another 2.21 miles......

Fingers crossed you'll bag a PB as the summer progresses mate.

•  

Jamie Newton 2 wrote (see)

Another 2013 goal accomplished. Finally cracked 36 mins for a 10K. Result was 35:28. Very tough going!!!

Half marathon goal for the year cracked on Sunday: 76 mins 18.

Goals for next year will be tough!

Anyone else had success with their hopes and predictions for 2013?

• Hi Jamie - well done - great times - did you manage them all? 

I achieved all my goals and aims for 2013 too although never got round to writing them on here and not anywhere near your standard - as the year progressed they all felt a little soft - must be harder on myself for next year although the improvements will probably be slower!

Train 1000 miles - currently about 1410 and will get close to 1600 by year end

parkrun: sub 20 mins - 19:15

10k: sub 40 mins - 38:52

10m: sub 67 mins - 63:40

HM sub 1:28:26 - 1:26:43

• Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Hi Jamie - well done - great times - did you manage them all? 

I achieved all my goals and aims for 2013 too although never got round to writing them on here and not anywhere near your standard - as the year progressed they all felt a little soft - must be harder on myself for next year although the improvements will probably be slower!

Train 1000 miles - currently about 1410 and will get close to 1600 by year end

parkrun: sub 20 mins - 19:15

10k: sub 40 mins - 38:52

10m: sub 67 mins - 63:40

HM sub 1:28:26 - 1:26:43

Yep cracked them all. The 5 mile time was cracked several times enroute to greater distances however......so not official, but best split enroute to 10K was 27:51.

It looks like you annihilated your own goals too mate!!! We'll have to do a similar thread for 2014....

• Yeah a similar thread for next year would be good as I got no where near mine this year! Oh well onwards and upwards! Well done on your times they're amazing. Skinny you should be able to blast your HM time next year as your other times are so quick....
  • 2014 will be my first half marathon, I'm aiming for under 2 hours, for most people in the thread so far this is probably nothing but, it's my first one and we all start somewhere!