Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Nead - I agree with Rob, my memory of Paris last year the last six miles is mostly through the park and it was pretty much flat. I always do my long runs over undulating terrain as I like to train on harder routes than the race is on. There are a few undulations in Paris, but there aren't any killer hills on it. It's not as pancake flat as the likes of Amsterdam, Berlin or Chicago, but it's not a testing course in terms of hills.

• Thanks TD and DLR. Definitely don't want to be greedy. Sub 3.40 is my target goal (silver if you like) and i will not let my laps dip under 8. Hopefully, this allows for a fade for the last 10 or 12k and if i find the pace comfortable and feel like i have enough energy to maintain it then i can be close to early/mid 3.30s. As you say there are other things on the horizon, including Berlin at end of Sept.

• Spot on TJB...all roads lead to Berlin this year!

• Peter - great going too

Here's the Paris elevation profile. Hills look sharper than they are because of the way it's been compressed. There aren't really any hills in fact. There's a couple of tunnels where the exits are sloped but that's about it.

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Paris_elevation.jpg

• Mar 9: Groundhog Marathon - Richard L. Regent's Park 10k - RR.
    Mar 10: Loch Katrine Half - Eggy. Ponteland Half - Iain M.
    Mar 17: Atlanta Half - Danni. Liverpool Half - James B, Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob, Vioolman.
    Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
    Mar 23: Coniston 14 - Iain M. Thames Path Ultra - DV.
    Mar 24: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Forest of Dean Half - Ward. Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy. Lexington Half - Straycelt.
    Mar 25: Warsaw Half - Wiol.
    Mar 30: Crete De Spa Half - Emmy. Dallas Half - Straycelt.
    Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Jack, Carl, Ann, King.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Keyser Suze, Straycelt.
    Apr 27: Shakespeare Rotary Marathon - Richard L.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    May 1: Montauban 18k - Onetit.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 9: Trois Rocs Trail Ultra - Onetit.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 22: Hadrian's Wall Ultra - Richard L.
    Jun 23: Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 4: Peachtree 10k - Danni.
    Jul 8: Paris Tri - RR.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Tiddy..
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni.
    Oct 20: Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Emmy, a copie is acceptable. I took the principal and a photocopy, presented both and they kept the copy ( Last year, I only took the principal and was annoyed with myself when I had to hand it over...) Again ,* mode ' Nanny' *, I think it's well worth scanning the thing and sending it to yourself on webmail just in case it gets lost somewhere... The only other thing about the run was the 15 minute delay on the published start time. Apparently,it took until 45 minutes past the hour for the last pen to empty.  Even in bright sun, an old jumper/gloves for the wait was a good idea . The mara pens are in shade and can be chilly.

DLR, cqn't wait til I get to my own keyboard to tell you all about concrete -as -a -building -materiel and all the other stuff- I-did-on-holiday.I bet you're on tenterhooks...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    ATM wrote (see)

Emmy, a copie is acceptable. I took the principal and a photocopy, presented both and they kept the copy ( Last year, I only took the principal and was annoyed with myself when I had to hand it over...) Again ,* mode ' Nanny' *, I think it's well worth scanning the thing and sending it to yourself on webmail just in case it gets lost somewhere... The only other thing about the run was the 15 minute delay on the published start time. Apparently,it took until 45 minutes past the hour for the last pen to empty.  Even in bright sun, an old jumper/gloves for the wait was a good idea . The mara pens are in shade and can be chilly.

DLR, cqn't wait til I get to my own keyboard to tell you all about concrete -as -a -building -materiel and all the other stuff- I-did-on-holiday.I bet you're on tenterhooks...

Thanks ATM. My biggest issue is that the wording for Paris and Medoc is *slightly* different - and that's my concern. That they could turn around and decline it.
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Mar 30: Crete De Spa Half - Emmy.

Can you remove me from this one? It's too close to Paris.
    Although... I have noted that in March I have NO other races planned image
  • Weedy - King Kong.

Why haven't you put your good self down for the Ponteland Half too?

Emmy - there must be some out there somewhere... What will you do at weekends?!image
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Emmy - there must be some out there somewhere... What will you do at weekends?!image

They are a few marathons but I need to be strong and *just* train....

• Thanks a mill…..feeling a bit more confident now.  Cheers Weedy, I’d looked at an elevation chart and the hills looked sharp alright so I was having trouble equating that to also reading that Paris is a fairly fast course.  

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of race organisers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Well done on all the great runing over the weekend and fingers crossed James that tomorrow brings good news.

TJB thats an amazing PB. Sounds like you are having the same thought process as me with regards to pace for Paris.

I did a 24mile run on Saturday that went really well. Relatively slow first 13miles and then tried out 8m/m in view of Paris. Overshot and did 5.5miles at about 7:45 which I dont think will be achievable throughout. Managed to then drop back down to approx 8:30 which felt alright.

With confidence high I'm going to have to go with:

b: sub 4h (First marathon and I will be delighted with this!)

s: sub 3:45

g: sub 3:30

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)

I felt a great disturbance in the Force... as if millions of race organisers suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I think there some larger force at work... I think it's called common sense.

A friend of mine is trying to persuade me to run a marathon on Good Friday (because it has a pink ribbon). I'm really tempted.. I don't have a pink one yet image

• yes TREV, exactly - my plan now is maintain it, get through the long run sunday, taper. Go to Paris, change pens to purple - then switch focus to just running 26.2 miles - not finishing in any specific time, just focusing on an even pace and maintain good form, watching my footing and enjoying the sights and sounds of the French capital.  

• Le sigh. 

Did the Wymondham 20miler yesterday as a training run to practice races, following a great few weeks of training  (18m last week in a positively comfortable 2h47, could have done another 8M no problem!). The first 5 miles were harder than I'd had for a while, the middle ten were a struggle and the last 5 were a disastrous mixture of run/walk, although I did manage to run the whole last mile, which has a nice hill in it. 

I realise now that this is what London last year was like for me - pretty decent training then much harder in the race, where I ran/walked from mile 15. 

However, I still did the 20mile yesterday in 3h15, so I should probably stop beating myself up about it. I'm just worrying that Paris will be a distinctly uncomfortable run, and I want to enjoy it and run the whole distance (or at least, more than I did for London). 

/moan

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Keyser - might have just been one of those days, dont let it get to you.

TJB - see I'm tempted with blue and running near a pacemaker will really help as when running by myself I'm a little all over the place. I know I feel relatively comfortable at 8m/m and if I do tire I seem to be able to keep below 8:30.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I missed anyone, I'm sure ATM will be going for another PB after her excellent weekend. I know these times could change depending on the next couple of LSR, hopefully for the better.

If we do a staggered start, ie Sporty Badger gives us 1h30 head start. We could all finish at the same time.

Gold -Silver - Bronze

Dannirr. 3h44 - 3h45 - 3h55

Dark Vader Beat someone-Post on forum-Get an Eye Full

Dave the Ex Spartan. Pub-Pub-Pub

Eggyh73. 4h30 - finish - stay alive

Emmy H. 4h29- 4h45 - 4h55

James B 73. 3h58- 4h05 - 4h15

Kaz1. Find daughters - Finish - Start

Marathon Maus. 4h55 - 5h00 - 5h10

Orbutt. 4h05 - 4h10 - 4h15

PC91. 3h55 - 4h00 - 5h00

Peter Burke 5. 3h59 - 4h05 - 4h10

Running Rodent.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    I've lost some people... i ll repost it later.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Keyser - Sounds like you had a tough day. One thing to remember though is come Paris you should be tapered, so the legs will be trained but rested. You ran yesterday on tired legs from marathon training. Maybe you pushed too hard on last weeks 18 and that came back to haunt you yesterday. It's worth looking at your training this year and last year to see if there is something you are doing in training that is hurting your race day performance.

• TREV, yes fair cop - although for me i think running the last 7 miles without the added pressure of trying to sub 3.30, might be easier given that i am still relatively in-experienced at the distance. For you, your first marathon, giving yourself a high target could force you to do well and stay with a pacer, but it's a risky strategy. I think laying down a marker for one to improve on may be a more sensible ploy - still aiming quite high - but 3.35 or 3.30 - there's not much in it, they're both really good, so going all out to try and squeeze into the 3.20s could back fire - dont get me wrong i am tempted by Orbutt's macmillan calculator - 3.24 - but the pacing would need to be perfect, the nutrition, the weather, the conditions, your night's sleep, bowl movement and general state of mind. I like the idea of being in an "average" place moodwise, conditionswise - so that even if i am not going at my best i can still produce something good. The purple pen will have you running with other people running in the early 8s - which is a good pace with hopefully not too much weaving and overtaking. If you find yourself hammering out the first 10k at sub8mm you are probably going too fast. Of course if TD or one of the other quickies wanted to come and pace me to try and squeeze me under 3.30 - i would love that!! image

• Thanks Trevor - I hope so!

Thanks Eggy too. Looking back on my training plan for last year, I had a long run of 8miles the Sunday before the race. I know I should taper to rest, but I'm afraid of leaving it too long between runs in case my legs forget what to do!

What do you guys do for taper? Nothing the week before? Normal training plan?

This year my plan is to run 22M next Sunday, 15M Sunday after then two rest Sundays with a normal-ish routine the rest of the week (efforts on Tues/4M slow lunchtime session Wednesday/5-6M tempo on Thursday/parkrun Saturday). Too much? Too little?

It's one of the things I love and hate about running. You can do everything 'right' - sleep well, eat properly etc and the race could be a clanger (or training run), and there are times where I've been tired or haven't eaten brilliantly, and had a great run. 

Oh, PC91 - if you'd like to add them to the list, my targets are:

Gold 4:12 (30 minute PB)

Silver 4:30

Bronze Complete

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @KeyserSuze wrote (see)

It's one of the things I love and hate about running. You can do everything 'right' - sleep well, eat properly etc and the race could be a clanger (or training run), and there are times where I've been tired or haven't eaten brilliantly, and had a great run. 

This really sticks with me. I wish I knew the secret to a good race. There are days when I really struggle and i've done everything 'right' and days when I'm underprepared and run like the wind.

• Emmy - i think pressure can play a part - like putting oneself under too much. But there are loads of factors.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Keyser - That sounds like you're dropping your long runs far too early. That would be a four week taper.

It really depends on your training plan, but if possible I'd switch the 15 & 22 around, so you do 15 this weekend and the 22 the following one three weeks out from race day.

I'd also still include "long" weekend runs in those final two weekends, but obviously reducing in scale. My last two weekends see me do a 14 mile LSR then a 10 mile LSR the weekend before the race. I also start to reduce the mileage of my midweek runs. In the final week leading up to the big day I'll do a couple of short runs on Monday & Tuesday and loosen the legs up session on the Saturday at the breakfast run in Paris.

If those runs you list are your normal training plan I think that might be part of your problem on the longer runs and marathons. If you aren't going beyond 6 miles during the week that's a huge step up when hitting 20/22 mile long runs.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Keyser - my long runs go like this:  17 this weekend, 22 next, 16 the following and 12 the weekend before Paris.  3 weeks of taper where intensity remains the same but mileage is reduced. 

11 miles at easy pace for me this morning - felt like hard work, still a bit tired from Saturday's effort I think.  Plus a cheeky little headwind...

• @EmmyH - me too! Being flexible helps, I think. I remember almost having a meltdown when I couldn't get soreen anywhere for a pre race snack. I ended up buying a standard flapjack, which was just as good and much easier to get hold of!

Good plan Eggy - I was thinking that I might switch those two LSRs around. Good to know I'm not doing too much too close to the race. Ah, I meant 'normal' as in 'not marathon training', which is a couple of miles more on Thursdays session, a possible strides on Friday and then run to and from parkrun on Saturday. Hmm, I might desert the lunchtime run for the next couple of weeks and do something on my own in the evening. 

Thanks!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? Gold - Silver ??- Bronze

Dannirr: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??3h44 - 3h45 - 3h55

Dark Vader: ?? ?? Beat someone - Post on forum - Get an Eye Full

Dave the Ex Spartan: Pub - Pub - Pub

Eggyh73: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??4h30 - finish - stay alive

Emmy H: ?? ?? ?? ?? 4h29 - 4h45 - 4h55

James B 73: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? 3h58 - 4h05 - 4h15

Kaz1: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? Find daughters -Finish - Start

KeyserSuze: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? 4h12 - 4h30 - Finish

Marathon Maus: ??4h55 - 5h00 - 5h10

Orbutt: ?? ?? ?? ?? 4h05 - 4h10 - 4h15

PC91: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? 3h55 - 4h00 - 5h00

Peter Burke 5: ??3h59 - 4h05 - 4h10

Running Rodent: Simon MacDoughnut:3h30 - 3h35 - 3h45

Sporty Badger: ??3h15 - 3h20 - 3h25

The JimBob: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? 3h35 - 3h40

Tommy Mac 2: ?? ??3h50 - 4h00 - 4h25

Trevor Olver: ?? 3h30 - 3h45 - 4h00

Tricky Dicky: ?? 3h55 - 4h00 - 4h10

Yer_Maj: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??4h10 - 4h15 - 4h20

• Thanks yer_maj, that sounds much less daunting than a 22M on Sunday.

• What are the chances of this...?    Bloody sod's law.......

Last night I was talking to Mrs DV about getting in-car camera's for our cars...  you know, the type that record the driving and road ahead so you have video proof in the case of an accident....

Now...   she has just called me...   she has been involved in an accident..!!   FFS...!   She said she has had a collision with a woman driving her husbands sports car...   the front of our car is, according to Mrs DV, probably a write-off and the sports car is a mess...    both women are fine and recovery vehicles will pick up the pieces...

Apart from minor scratches, she has never had an accident...  and now, the one time that in-car cameras would have been useful she goes and smashes the car...!

Obviously I'm pleased that everyone is ok, and the cars can be repaired or (more likely!) replaced, but the fact that I only talked about cameras last night and today she needs them...   geezz....    what a nuisance....

I told her to take lots and lots of photos of everything....

Let this be a lesson.....   get camera's in your cars....!    You never know when you might need them...

• The Jimbob wrote (see)

based on today i'm thinking b-3.50, s-3.40, g-3.30. Is that right? - feel free to cuss me!

PC91 - check it! image