Rome Marathon 2013

Comments

• Paul, your situation is a different case to complaining about running at different times to training and you have my full sympathy. Could you not get a later flight, maybe scam the travel insurance somehow, tell them you've lost some baggage to pay for it?! 

• I cant find a later flight and the first one in the morning will get me in too late to work on the monday which i have to be there for. I dont mind paying for alater flight but the only one i could find was 9pm with air italia (and i doubt i would make that) 

Its not the end of the world, there are always more marathons, if it does get postponed that is - it might still be a 9am start (but i doubt it, as all indications are it has to be that sunday).

• Personally i dont really mind what time i run - morning preferred as its cooler obviously. I dont really see what or why training makes any difference for the time of day. However generally cooler conditions are nicer.

• See I like the heat and would rather run when it's hottest. I'm going on saturday, i've no idea what clothes to take, according to accuweather, last night they were saying Rome will be up to 24°c with several days of sunshine, now they're saying 11-15°c image 

I know it feel a lot hotter there than here regardless, but still no idea what to take...

• I've lived in Italy for years and this will be my 6th Rome marathon. With a 4pm start the main problem will be the temperature, it'll be between 13-18° at the start (and we'll have to be there at 3pm in the pens and there are no shady bits) then once the sun goes down (around 5.45pm) it'll get chilly so as ADG said when we start getting tired  we'll start feeling a little bit cold. The temperature will easily drop by 10-15 degrees. Apart from that it's going to be buzzing in Rome and I'm sure there'll be more people than normal supporting, so good luck to everyone!

• I think the temperature dropping to 3-5 degrees will be worse for the locals as we're used to running in that temp every day. 

But tell me, are you acclimatised? Do you wear a coat when it's 15°C like the locals? How much clothing will I need? Is the air warm, or is there a chill to it?

• As a follower of odds, I thought I would have a look at the betting on the favourite subject of the moment.

Make of this whatever you want. Different angle to it.

Date of Conclave Starting

March 11 - 13  - 4/5

March 7 - 10  - 5/2

March 4 - 6  - 10/3

Conclave to Last

2 days 7/4

1 day  9/4

3 days 10/3

This would suggest that the bookies think it will last 2 days starting 11th - 13th March. Worst case for that is all done on 15th.

Does anyone know what that would mean to the marathon and enthronement date ?

As I said, a different angle for you all to ponder.

On the running front, I have had runners knee for about 5 weeks and it has obviously had a big impact on my training. I have managed to one 20 , one 18 one 16 and more recently 2 15's. The problem is that I am always in pain with it when I run.

An IT strap and massages has helped. It will be very unlikely that i will get all the way round and have resigned myself to possibly walking the last 6 miles.

Anyway.....

I also went to Rome at this time in 2011. This may sound slightly obvious, but the weather was great. Lovely in the sun, but very cold in the shade and took us by surprise so much that hoodies and scarves were purchased.

Good luck to all and please remember to try and enjoy the day, whatever that brings and for me whatever time it ends!!

Cheers all.

• Oh I have changed my mind - don't fancy a 4pm start ( not that it affects me as I will miss my flight ) - that is way too hot for me to run 26 miles in - I do my training over winter mornings.

Could be interesting as will it still be light when people finish ? Or will it be dark ? That would be a weird experience.
  • Paul

I'm sorry that the possible re-scheduling will affect you so badly. Unfortunately, I think you may be one of many in the same situation. I hope they stick to 9am!

Like I said in an earlier post, it will reflect badly on the RC Church if the Charity fundraising effort is hampered by the delayed start time. Surely they need all the good publicity they can get at the moment.

Assuming that we all have to start at 4pm, then I think that a long lie in will be called for on the Sunday. As to what to wear, I am clueless. Presumably if the temperature doesn't start to drop significantly until about 6pm then we'll hardly notice the cold that far into the race? Any thoughts anyone?

• Sundown 6:18pm ut the forecast seems to change everyday.

• I love that you've collected the odds! Awesome! I know that the church leaders are keen to get the new Pope in place as soon as possible following his election - Easter week starts Monday 25th March and they therefore need to make sure that the enthronement is completed as soon as possible once conclave has finished so he has as much time as possible to settle into the job before the biggest week of his life starts - seems fair enough to me. As such, based on your odds of it being over by 15th - any date on or around the marathon is likely, however conclave is an unpredictable thing and it could be a case of a one-dayer or it could even drag on for weeks - it all depends on how unified the cardinals are in their thinking etc.

As an aside - I took delivery of my charity vest the other day and clearly need to do a run in it to make sure it doesn't chafe etc - however if I attempt to go out for a run along Poole's sea front at the moment in only a vest, I will get hypothermia! Not a gym member either - any ideas?

• Doh - have just had my running vest dilemma solved by my six year old daughter - "why don't you just wear your running jacket over the top of it to keep you warm?" From the mouths of babes...

Worringly, that had not occurred to me at all.... think I'd best go for a lie down!

• I was going to run this with my son; it would have been his first. I live in Milan and he was going to fly out from London.

The score today is this. The cardinals are under pressure to have a pope in place before March 24th and since a coronation can only take place on a Sunday then it looks like it will be the 17th.

The race organisers are being very cynical. They know that over 60% of the field can not run if the start is at 4pm, but if they cancelled completely then they would have to refund (no offers from the vatican to compensate people they have inconvenienced).

If you are coming and are worried about the weather, this is the best site http://www.tempoitalia.it/meteo/roma however it should not be hot, say about 12 - 14c. That being said, this is Italy and in Milan in 2011 we had a freak heatwave and ran the MCM in 40c!!

I am keeping my final decision until next Tuesday but if I cancel I still lose €700 in train and plane tickets - thanks Pope.

• Good points there Dominic. I agree it appears its a done decision and almost certain the coronation will be on the sunday. It has cost me well over £1000, but will have to enjoy it as a holiday instead.

Kirsty, I ran last years Berlin marathon in a charity T shirt and chaffed really bad to the point i was bleeding (never had that before). So be careful with the charity vest.

I still think it will be so weird finishing a marathon in the Dark. Does no one else find this strange? At least it may be unique for people.

• Paul, your point about finishing in the dark is valid because the finishing stretch is on rough pave and the streetlighting is not too hot, so you would need to be very careful. Rough ground and tired runners are a risky mix as I know well from the finishes of sky runs in the alps.

• Didn't realise that the enthronement had to be on a Sunday.

If the bookies odds are correct (they normally are), I would suggest we all get ready for a 4pm start.

Apart from the temperature drop, I actually think it will be a unique experience and I will get a chance to get some sleep during the day. For my previous 3 marathons, I have slept terriblly the night before.

I was hoping to get close to 5 hrs, but with my injury, I fear this could be nearer 6.

Cross start line at 4.15 - Potential 10.15 finish.......nice.

Glad to say I am there till the Tuesday, so at least I haven't got to rush on the Monday morning.

Anyway... as I said in my earlier post. Try to enjoy it on the day. All of the really hard work will be behind us and this is the bit that it was all for.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Cheers all

• I think I saw something on their facebook page confirming that their main sponsor is the electricity provider for Rome and they had organised for substantial additional flood lighting to be erected in darker areas of the route should the 4pm start go ahead. It's the lack of ability to get a meal afterwards that's my main down point for the 4pm start - I have to get the plane home the following day at 7.40am and was looking forward to being finished and showered and ready to head back out late afternoon for a few celebratory beers and meal and a chilled evening to celebrate and recouperate before the early morning start. If it's the late start, I won't be finished until about 8.30pm so by time we get back and showered etc, it'll pretty much be straight to bed.

Wait and see I guess - what will be will be. I think in some ways it will look pretty amazing finishing at night time with the Coliseum and landmarks all lit up for the evening. Different to what I'd imagined but I still think it'll be pretty magical. I've been training for this (and living it and obsessing over it!) since mid-November so I'm determined to go with the flow and try to enjoy it as best I can in difficult circumstances.

• PS - the enthronement doesn't have to be on a Sunday - it is just that normally that day is chosen. There is no set requirement for it to happen on a Sunday and can occur any day of the week - Sundays are generally chosen as it is the sabbath and gives world leaders time to get to Rome.

• Time cut off is 7 hours, so potentially you will have people finishing at 11pm!!!!!!

Dominic, what are sky runs in the alps?

• Kirsty - don't worry most Italians don't go to restaurants until around 8.30 so you'll have no problem getting some grub until around 11. Otherwise...there's always McDonalds image

• I must admit getting some grub has not been the top of my list when running a marathon!!!! getting to the start line and getting round in one piece have been my worries........ Never thought past that (except getting home)

I am quite envious as running it during the evening all lit up could be a different experience. Arghhhh, makes it more annoying for me.

• You lot make me laugh image

• Wheres the figures to show 60% of the field can't start at 4pm?
    • Temperature differnces at the end of the race, you won't notice if you're "running".
    • Food after the marathon? Big hardship, get a bottle of wine, if you want, and a loaf of bread the day before, and eat that.
    • Can't run because i've trained at a different time? wtf?!

Seriously, you lot sound like spoilt kids, how did you manage to get through training? It's just a marathon, but a marathon in Rome, on the day the Pope is enthroned, yes running at night in Rome will be magical, everything lit up, it'll be like those days when you run 20 miles in the snow grinning like a kid! Jesus, whats it take to make some people happy? 

• I have to agree Lardy, Id be happy just to be able to run it and trying all sorts of things to make it possible to come back on the Monday. (although a pain having to buy another plane ticket)

Not sure i remember those days running 20 miles grinning like a kid though........

• Ha! What can I say - I visualise an ice-cold celebratory pint of lager to help get me through tough or low points in a race (don't judge me, I can quit the booze any time I like... honest.....)

I am a catholic myself and am running for a catholic childrens charity and hopefully have made it pretty clear from previous posts that I think the marathon organisers have done a fantastic job in ensuring that the race can still go ahead and being so prompt with their alternative plans. I agree - I think it will be amazing to get to the Coliseum when it's all lit up for the evening etc, however I also think that thinking ahead to how easy it will be to get some post-race nourishment at 11pm when I'm done and showered is also worth considering (and yes, my plan had been to get something to leave in the hotel room). What can I say - I'm only a size eight but I eat like a horse after a run....

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

I'm more bothered about avoiding all the arseholes who won't go to bed when they cough and sneeze, everywhere I go I'm seeing sick people who should be in their beds, not infecting me with diseases two weeks before a marathon ffs wonder if I can sue...I need to get a 20+ miler in on Saturday!

• I think marathons do make you worry and panic about things more than normal as well, its all part of the uncertainty. So moving the start time does not help with that. (nor with peoples travel arrangments image )

• Blimey ADG - that's a long run so close to the date? I'm only planning on doing 8-10 this weekend...

• Paul - I agree, you spend months preparing a race and then a slight change can make you worry.

BUT if you think that the late start will affect you, then it probably will. If however, you think of the glass as being half-full (rather than half-empty) then a different time will not a make an ounce of difference. We can have a lie-in and leisurely get ready and enjoy image

• I'll do a 15-16 miles on saturday (bit more than supposed to but also training for brighton marathon) - i think 8-10 would be a good distance normally.

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

longest I've done since Berlin has been 16.5 mile, but I've done a few of them, last two months have been 130 miles each, so for peace of mind I want to get a 20+ in. Won't be doing anything next week leading to the race except maybe a couple of 3 or 4 milers and loads of walking. Leaving Scotland Sunday to travel across England, France then hitting Italy on Wednesday, Rome Friday.