Monday 4th March 2013

Morning

Todays lyrics:It's a long time since I saw you

What:4M Fartlek.

Why: Decided to try it.Okay run. Dry with no wind.

Catch up over coffee as per usual.

Not a bad Euro Indoors for Britain.

Back later.

Comments

• What: short run this afternoon after flying back up from Edinburgh this morning.

Why: just to keep the legs ticking over

Last hard: 8 days ago

Last rest: yesterday

Nice meal out with 2 of my daughters while passing through Edinburgh.
  • Morning.

Posted earlier but it's since disappeared - most strange.

Yesterday's lyrics were Still Ill by The Smiths.

What:                 nothing
    Why:                  peak flow 350 this morning
    Last hard:          doing nothing
    Last rest:           all month

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    RFJ - good run yesterday. and lovely splits. Not raced Bath before but think I'd like to. That long run in to the finish sounds a little bit like Windsor - dead straight long drag (unless of course they've changed the route)
    NZC - decent run yesterday!
    what - 5 easy
    why - active recovery I think they call it - dragged myself out for 10 miles yesterday. Supposed to be easy but ended up ~8m/m. Added bonus of getting nipped by a yappy dog (one of two) on the final run quarter mile on the wooded cut through. Glad I had compression socks on!
    last rest - wednesday
    last hard - prob yesterdays long run

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Poor LMH, not a great start to March image. Hope breathing improves soon. You've had a great build-up so far.

RFJ: well done - great time. Crowded races can be a right old  'mare.

winks at Literatin' image

NZC: great long run - no matter what distance I do I always think I've had enough when the run is banked image

Blisters wrote (see)

In fact, I have an idea. Why don't we all have a go at posting a photo from our regular routes this week? It doesn't have to be an aim to sell your rat run in a holiday brochure, just to add a bit of flavour.

Mine would be black coz I run in the dark image. Seriously though, good idea. Must remember to take camera with me on one of the next long runs in daylight.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Oh dear, reading back and posted on Sunday's thread my mistake.  Copied here for your convenience...

Morning all.

Nice run RFJ. Impressive consistancy too!

Did I miss Wabo's post?

Welcome literatin.  Nice long run there.  

You too, NZC. Can be really tough to get it together to do the homework for marathon length runs.  It's one of the things I like about running: it's really good training for anything else that requires a drop of gumption.

Like the idea of pics of our runs.  

Hmm, the stairs are actually quite photogenic.  Missed opportunity.  Did 10 ascents today, dead chuffed, because they really were notably easier than last week's effort, same number of reps.  Of course, there is a long way to go: start doing them with weights, start doing them two at a time.  I seem to have difficulty county to more than ten, so maybe not aim for twenty, or else bring a pocket full of pebbles to use as counters.

No ill effects whatsoever from Saturdays longer run.  Will try to get another long run in before the weekend, as shan't be able to run at the weekend.

Go well all.

• Good to hear that this week was better Stickless. How about an elastic band round your wrist for every ten?

I would take a picture - were I running - but I'm too technologically incompetent to post them on here.

Have just been to the doctors. Good news is that my oxygen sats are fine and lungs clear, bad news it that it's viral and the cough is lasting 3 - 4 weeks. Will just have to hope that I buck the trend, or at least that the asthma settles quickly.

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

(((lmh))) empathy, empathy.
    Lyrics: Nope
    What: Rest and spend time searching for my lost mojo
    Why: Hard tkd Sat and then painfully slow half at The Hogweed Hilly yesterday
    Last Hard: See above
    Last Rest: Friday
    Climbing back up out of the depths of last few weeks...anyone seen Ale? Not gone for a stretch?image

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

Will come back later but just to say I managed a negative split inmy half yesterday, 60.50 and 60.10, plus Iran 3.5 to get to the start so my last 3 miles which were my quickest were also 14-16 mile stage.  Happy happy. 2.01, so so close to under 2 but it was a course pb and I only have positives about that run

lmh, sorry to hear the bad news part, wish you well.

stickless  nice one, sounds good, elastic bands sound a good one.

chick I will try and remember to post a photo!

yesterday was a good day for me running and football image

what: nothing

why: need a rest, oh I did do tai chi + lunges squats etc this morning

last hard: yesterday

last easy: friday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

feb miles 131, highest month since march 2009! And this year total so far is 225 while last years total was 543! Please stay strong legs

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Would the photo have to be taken while running? No pockets for camera in my running gear, but I have some nice pics of some of my routes.

what: nothing
    why: are you joking? 22 miles yesterday!
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: Monday

lyrics: no. I think my one moment of music knowledge has passed. 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi literatin!

Nice long run yesterday.

• Maybe should kicking my for not getting yesterday's lyrics (2 of the Smiths went to my school)
    6 miles done today - bad news is that outside of left foot is still niggling, good news is that it didn't get any worse during/after 6 miles.
    Welcome Literatin
    Hope your puff comes back soon LM.H
    When your PFR comes up, the cough may not be a problem for running
    Wabo
    good running (I take it that a certain football team did well yesterday)
    Not had a chance to read back fully but it sounds as if it has been an action packed weekend for a lot of folk.

• Good running Wabo!

I haven't said hi literatin - welcome to the thread. Which marathon are you doing?

OH - that's what I'm hoping, especially if I keep it easy. Sorry to hear that the foot is still niggling, do you still think it's your shoes?

SC - I hope you find it soon - not many weeks to go now!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening! Just in from working: had phone call at 6.45 asking me to work, so first chance to pop in!

Tense match yesterday, Wabo! Did you go? And glad you are pleased with the run.

Stickless (and others): I was taught a trick for counting laps by a swimmer...and it not only works I find it helps me get through a session.
    1. Choose boys' names or girls' names. Both is cheating: leave the second one for another day.
    2. Lap 1 (or first flight of stairs/length of the pool) is letter A. Think of as many names beginning with A.
    3. Lap 2: B,
    4. Lap 26 Z.
    5. Start again!

What: a gentle walk. Must do more stretching and strengthening, SC!
    Why: "good" calf tender ("bad" calf fine!)

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh yes, sorry, meant to say 'hello everybody'. I was sucked in by actually knowing yesterday's lyrics. Some good running on here, especially Wabo: running to a half marathon is hardcore. LM.H, I'm doing VLM and it's my first marathon, so that was my longest run ever (so far).

• Hello literatin good luck for VLM! 

Blisters - my Sunday long run, was on the road, though did pass Auckland's waterfront to and fro plus included some suburban hilly streets to get the extra in.

I don't take photos, so I would only be able to post one someone else took. My husband took some great photos the other day when he, my son and Mae went for a huge bush walk on the Hilary trail, magnificient vistas of Auckland's rugged west coast beaches.

Stickless - still going hard out with those stairs - they can really get you into oxygen debt.

I remember my daughter doing photos of stairs for a school photography assignment - got some great angles. Great shots!

What: 6km run/walk - Cornwall Park with son and Mae.

Picture of Cornwall Park - A dominant/dormant volcanic cone, surrounded by farmland in some places, cricket ground, archery, playground.

Huge trees in some places, family picnicking, barbeques especially in the weekend, though during these long summer nights you sometimes get a whiff of one.

Cattle, sheep, lots of fences to climb, or gates to open if Mae can't get over them. The occasional electric farm wire that you might have to roll under.

Lots of people walking around the base of the volcano. Pheasants a familar sight, the occasional Japanese wedding party having their photos taken, people with personal trainers doing all sorts of strange things.

You get the pictureimage 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

I get the picture, NZC! I don't take many photos either, and not sure that my box camera does digital either!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Nice 5 mile XC run for me today in 40 mins; feeling much stronger than a few weeks ago on the country.  Shorts and t-shirt weather tonight, felt very liberated! image

• LM.H think it's probably a minor ligament strain - just hoping it will last out 26 on Sunday. Running in older (worn in) shoes which seem better (all the same Mizuno Waverider 7s). Swimming tonight did seem to be beneficial
    Will try running again with group on Thursday but give it a rest until then.

• Evening all,

Been a while since I've had time to get online for more than email checking etc as been busy with work, and upped my training by quite a bit.

Have had a few decent races recently, Great Bentley half marathon I made my debut at the distance in 1 hour 27 mins 47 seconds, and I did Essex 20 yesterday, the furthest I've ever run before, in 2 hours 27 mins and 51 secs image

How has everyone been then? Hope you're all well.

Oh, and as usual, no idea for the lyrics, but seem fitting!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Welcome Literatin

What - 4.25m easy
    Why - Legs stiff from yesterday
    Last hard - yesterday
    Last rest - Last Weds

Lyrics - Usual - NO

Good milage Wabo

Take care

• Here's a view of where my husband did his walk

/members/images/171303/Gallery/West_coast_view.jpg

• Beautiful NZC.

What's your target literatin?

Good running sweep.

Worth trying some taping to support it OH?

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

wow nzc I was blown away with the description on the previous page and now this photo, amazing it certainly is a beautiful country

alehouse, no I didnt go yesterday, expensive tickets they are! I am going this thursday though, cant wait.

hi sweep

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Good to see you Sweep!  And good progress with the running!

• I did wonder that alehouse but haven't a clue how to do it.
    and am somewhat wary of blind experimentation 6 days before marathon

although just tried a single piece of duck tape around outside of forefoot which does seem to help

• I got up this morning, and now I have a 17 year old daughter.

It only seems like yesterday...

As a result we had tea for the extended family (includes boyfriend), comprising takeaway curry and big chocolate birthday cake. I'm still feeling very fat. Exercise wasn't on the agenda.

NZC, that is absolutely stunning. After God made the world in 6 days he took a day off and got creative by making New Zealand?