Totally new? The 2013 new runners thread.

Comments

• Haha!  yes. I do sometimes think about you all when Im out running and I remind myself I should be able to talk while running..!  No chance.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Lol with Runningbella, I know the feeling

Its nice to know other people are sharing similar experiences as you are to (new runner).

• I think we have pretty much all been through the same thing!  Its the beauty of this thread - most of us started from zero.  Im still plagued by people at work who think I am stopping half way round for a sit down when I tell them how long it takes me to do 5k, so I have stopped talking about it anywhere but here.

I will shock them all in October when I casually drop into conversation that the reason Im walking like a 90 year old is because I just ran a 10 mile race..

• Hi everyone!

Well - I've just been out for the first time since week last Sunday! Bad runner. I think that answers to your question Bella - no I didn't get out while I was away! It was all a bit rubbish - I got a major flare up of sinusitus which wipes me out and gives me horrid pain and there was no way I was managing to run around a random part of a strange city on top of that! 

Ah well, just did 5k in 34 mins something which is ok for me after that amount of time off I think.

Hello everyone else new and old! Sorry to see there are a few injuries floating around ... sending you all healing thoughts!! 

• Afternoon guys! How are we all? Maisie - 34 mins for 5k is absolutely okay, I'd say!

I'm riding a bit high at the minute - at last night's session there was a much wider range of abilities than normal and we got very split up. Because the guide needed to stay at the back to make sure the last runner made it back safely, the "4 mins run/1 min walk" plan went out of the window (none of the rest of us had watches or anything with us), so about 10 minutes in she told us to just run and walk when we needed to. So I ran back the rest of the way!

Only slowly, mind - the whole route is about 4.25k and it took me 30 minutes, give or take a few seconds - but the last 18 minutes or so of that was continuous running, and at the start of the session I was worried I'd struggle to manage the 4 minutes at a time, so horrendous is my fitness, so I'm pretty chuffed. And it's not like it totally exhausted me, either; I finished feeling chatty, barely out of breath and like I could have gone further if I needed to (fear of not finishing makes me err on the side of caution speed-wise). So yay.

Plus I got a free t-shirt because this was my 5th consecutive week of attending. Everyone loves a freebie.image

Downside, though: started getting pain in my shins/ankles and cramp in my calves. It's better if I switch to landing heel-first, but then everything else goes terribly wrong and starts hurting, so I stuck it out on tiptoes. Hope it doesn't become a problem when I start running further.

• hi all , thought i'd drop by and post  that i entered a 10k event for next sunday (10th march) quite excited, as i have never done one, whatever time i get will be a PB , hoping for sub 60 , which i can just manage on my own so hopefully the competitive element will speed me up 

• Hi all, just joined the site.  Well i have eventually done it! Got the running shoes on and got out the door.  ...  after a 30 year break from running it wasnt so easy.  I got a 2.5 mile session in which consisted of a mixed walk jog...33 mins.  I am happy enough with that for a first time.  I used a prog called endomondo to track the run and was pretty impressed with the system....i'll be back!

• Evening all!   Welcome Stinky....  not the best name, but I will go with it!  Well done on getting out there!  33 minutes for your first effort is amazing and to cover that distance is impressive.  Well done.  I'm on Endomondo too and I love it!  If you PM me your name we can link up and cheer one another on!

Well done on entering the 10k Curley - respect!  Sub 60 sounds like a flippin dream!

Terpski - well done you!  4.25 in 30 mins sounds pretty good to me so well done.  Sounds like you are doing really well, but beware of the pain.  I did find I was getting really tight calves when I first started, but they eased after a few weeks. Take it easy and dont let yourself get injured, but be aware that it might be something which may ease after a few weeks.

maisie - it is hard when you are in a strange place and harder when you are sick.  I am away next weekend and want to keep my running schedule up, but the last time I was there I had that hellish run uphill which nearly killed me!  I have to see if there is another route I can do. But 34 is a great time.  I just did 5k in 34 something and I am bouncing off walls!  Actually, I am full of very rare roast beef and sprouts, so I stopped bouncing and am now lounging, but you know what I mean!

Right.  Early night for me. Happy running!

• running deffo gets easier the more regular you go and increase a little bit at a time for one of the runs ,  i don't ache so much as i used to in january and my lungs cope better 

i am not running so much this week , reserving effort for sunday,  i will have a shorter length jog  2m eve ,  i will up date my time on sunday image 

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Good for you telling work colleagues when you have done a 10k Runningbella.

maisie77 that is a good time, it takes me about 50 minutes just to do 5k. Sorry to hear about your illness, but good for you in getting on a run when you got back.

Terpsikhore, I hope I spelt it right. Its always nice when you feel you could do more, I hope the training continues to improve in  the direction you want. Nice one in getting the t shirt.

XcurlytwigX Enjoy your 10k and run tomorrow.

Runningbella, enjoy your early night.

I'm hoping to do 14 miles Thursday. I will try and run the first 7 miles then walk run back. I  live in part of the Yorkshire Dales, I'm surrounded by hills, so its hard to work out times, but hills are good stamina training. I'm doing. the Manchester Marathon, if I manage to reach the 20 mile mark by the first week in April, I will be happy

Enjoy our evenning.

• Sinbad, you did indeed spell it right - I know it's a bit of a mouthful, in future Terpsi is fine!

Yesterday I really felt like running, but told myself it was a rest day and I'd go out tonight. Cut to today, and I really can't be arsed washing my hair twice in one day so I'm sorely tempted to skip it. How stupid.
  • Hi all. Just joined- looking for tips and moral support. I've starting jogging past few weeks after losing a good few stone. Got time down to 40 mins for 5 miles usually four times a week but I'm starting to suffer with a sore swollen ankle. Friend at work say im overdoing it but I am really enjoying myself and great to seem self improving. Any advice would be great
  • sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Manx-Saskia. There is a debate on whether to run every day, or follow one of the many training programs (Hal Higdon), or just run when you want to.

When you start running your feet, and body, needs to get used to working so much  harder. Try looking at one of the training programs, it reallly does help.

One step at a time.

• Will do thanks. Never been one for organised or planned anything but think that it must be for he best. The first day I ran, I bought new running shoes and thought I'd have a little jog on past the beach...and ended up doing nearly 5 miles! Definitely an addictive hobby image
  • Hi all!

So, am def back into it as just been aout again. And shaves a massive 13 seconds off my 5k time!!! At this rate I'll be under 30 mins in ... oh, I don't know ... 2017!?

But certainly didn't feel as wrecked at the end of it. Using one of the NHS c25k follow on podcasts which has music at fatish bpm rates so keeps you going. I would recommend it and the music is fairly inoffensive!

Thanks Terpsi and Sinbad for your support. I still haven't really "come out" as a runner to my friends and colleagues as I don't want to sound like a terrible bore and maybe I still think I'm not going to keep it up! So it's great to be able to come on here and share experiences.

Saskia - I don't think it sounds like you're overdoing it, though I'm no expert! The consensus on the boards seems to be that the danger is increasing your time/mileage too quickly, and if you're doing the same steady workout it should be fine?

Now, here's my current dilemma. My aim is actually to do a 10k (it's been my new year's resolution for about 3 years and so excited that this will be the year!) I have a place in one at the end of May which I know I will manage. But that feels ages away and a little worried that I might lose my motivation. There's another on 1 April which I sort of fancy (there's chocolate involved!) It would be a bleeding miracle if I managed to get round running the whole way but I could take a couple of walking breaks, and at least it's something to go for. 

I may be overthinking this, but ... what would you do?

• Ha! Just reading back on all my typos. My favourite is "fatish bpm rates" ... *fastish* obviously. Not sure they have beats per minute especially for us carrying a bit of extra weight! image

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Manx-Saskia. Running can cerainly be addictive. But I have found that when you get past the 10 mile stage, it appears to me that mental determination is needed, and dress for all sorts of weather. Great news with the footwear, new runnng shoes, appears to have the motivation factor.

Maisie, is there a ParkRun near you? They do a 5k every Saturday (not sure if your aware of them? It could be your next stage for keeping motivation going, as they will help with training from buillding up speed to what shows to buy.

There is nothing wrong with chatting over running whenever you wish. I have found that most people chat about there passion as and when they want. A hint for you is. That as you chat even with yourself mulling of running, try and listen to what your brain and body can manage. I have found that I can easily miss something as I go over a regular topuc.

Your also in  the right place here, where I doubt people will ever think your being repetitive.

Hope that helps?

• Thanks Sinbad. I'm definitely going to start going park runs, and there's one a short bus ride away. But first thing Sat morning is def not the best time for me as I'm often out on a Fri night.

Looking at doing first one two weeks tomorrow though, and very excited about it!
  • well maisie 77 , i am doing 10k this sunday (first official event) i don't count parkrun as an event and its 5k anyway , 

its is due to snow sunday  - awesome image

when i started running in jan i wanted to do the half marathon, also on sunday at the same time, due to snow , ice and the realisation i needed more training i decided on the 10k and am planning my HM in june (st albans maybe) 

i was going to a 10k end feb but i was rota'd to work, which got changed last min , then i was ill with chest infec/cold/cough  - general winter lurgies so i didn't do it  - i have been running (slower pace) 13k in training and did 10k faster run last weekend to test my pace out

i would do a pre-run if you can and want to, i wanted to but 2 weeks wasn't much wait for me, i may squeeze in another 10k before the HM so i have an extra experience of an event and running with more people  - its well and good on your own

hoping to get sub 60 mins for my first attempt  - but if it snows  - i won't be disappointed if longer 

• i didn't measn to sound that park run isn't an achievement, that came across a bit rude! i love park run, i use it as my own test against myself, where as an 'event' is more of a race and challenge against others (to me) 

parkruns have been hard in this cold,it was minus 1 the last one i did image not fun early !!

i try to go most weeks but sometimes it clashes with my youngests netball league  - she comes first  on hobbies so i sacrifice mine  - they keep changing training times  - she was 10:30 -12 on sat , now she is in dividion team she trains 9- 10 - great ! no parkrun this season 

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

As often or as little as you want maisie XcurlytwigX.

I don't have the confidence to the park runs, amy be in time I will.

I had a lousy nights sleep last night, and didn't do my 14 mile, losy weather again worse tommorrow. But I'm determined to get out and do that 14 miles even if cold and raining.

XcurlytwigX you are fine with the way it came across. Sounds like you have a busy lifestyle.

Have a pleasent evenning all.

• Hello all, I'm on the iPad so I have to firstly apologise for not being able to remember everyone's news, and secondly apologise for the inevitable typos.

I'm so impressed with us all. 10ks? 14ms? Wow!

I hope everyone is getting over the general sickness that is going around. My advice is to keep the running gear somewhere where you can see it but if you feel really ill, don't go out.

I'm so pleased I dropped back. I did a couple of week 6 runs again and just did a week 7 25 minute run which I really enjoyed. Just hard enough to be a challenge but I'm genuinelybfeelingblike it's something I can do.

It was however absolutely pouring down. I ran along the seafront again and it was relentless rain. I'm pleased I now run in a cap which keeps the rain from my face but I was soaked and I know the bus driver that drove through the huge puddle next to me did it on purpose.

2 weeks ago, a 30 minute run seemed like a painful thing that I would struggle with. Now, though it feels totally do-able.

Next one is Sunday. Watch this space !
  • Hi all!

So, I'm a bit...'unfit'. Bit overweight (literally about 1/4st), but mainly just have no stamina whatsoever. Buuuut, I'm a bit fundraising mad (shaving my head on March 30th, 12 days after my 16th in aide of a local charity), and want to run 5k for charity...this year!
    That's the other thing, I'm in Northern Ireland, any folks know of a 5k, preferably during the drizzly season we refer to as 'Summer'? image

Thanking youuuu!
    M x

• Mooly !! Wow shaved head is brave , your young enough to get away with it and look trendy, my work wouldn't be impressed if I did it as an option lol my daughter shaved half her head when shecwas 14 (2 yrs ago) her school complained, silly school ! It looked very unique.

Charity work keeps you going and motivated , stamna comes with determination and practice

do they have parkruns on Saturday mornings near you ? They are 5k. Try the events tab above, I browsed the half marathons that way , to get a rough idea when/ where they are. Depends how far you can travel , or get someone to drive you?

Bella: I wish I had the sea for scenery, how lovely , cycle paths and lakes are okay , I'm 2 hrs from a sea front in any direction lol
  • Sinbad, you can run 14 miles but not parkrun ? The most I have run is 13k which is about 8 miles.

Is it the crowds you don't like? There's usually 300 + at our parkruns , or is it the time element? I only race myself , well and the lads at work , but they beat me by 10 mins , but a girl can try lol

our course stats are between 17 mins and an hour each week , I can just scrape sub 30 with my PB of 28,

I am not going this morn as doing 10k tomorrow (how many times can I mention this lol)

the little one has netball training in a bit then cross country finals at 13:30, although I won't be suprised if it's cancelled again as it's rained non stop

and yes I am too busy , I work full time , I think I make a huge effort to cram in stuff on my days off and between shifts so my girls don't miss out , I could work part time but not afford their activities , or a lottery win would be good ,

tbh I'd get bored if wasn't busy
  • Mooly, welcome. You will be fine with a 5k challenge by the summer. I wish I has started getting fit at your ages, as I wouldn't be 4stone over weight 20years later.

No idea on 5k races but the events list on this site is pretty comprehensive.

I'm in awe of the head shaving. That's quite something for someone of your age to do, for someone else. Well done.

I recommend downloading one of the many couch to 5km programmes (if you have an iPhone the zen labs app is pretty good) that are available. They take you from zero to hero in 8 weeks. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks now and again, I repeated weeks 6and 7 after taking a week off sick and I'm better than I ever was.

Look forward to reading about your success!
  • I have found that the stamina comes very quickly. Was a size 20 last year and would have been a struggle to walk what I can now jog. Gym plus a sensible diet and now down to a 14 and after just a few weeks (and quitting the cigs) of running I feel much better. Was an excercisephobe before but now it's one of my fave things image
  • sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Runningbella I had that but with a car a few weeks back, its not nice. But well done for finishing your run, and that your starting to feel stronger.

Mooly I'm afraid I don't know of any off hand. There is a way on this site your suupposed to be able to find one, but I found it difficult to use. Try typing it in your search bar and see what happens. I'm impressed with your charity fund raising. Is it just one you  raise for or more?

XcurlytwigX I'm not very good in getting to know peoplle, its hard enough just getting to know people here. I'm glad you like being kept busy, but don't forget about your down time to.

Manx-Saskia I'm impressed, that's some going. I'm really pleased that being so determined for yoursef is paying off.

I managed 15 miles today wlking mainly in 5 hours. Its not fast but was my first time at that distance, and I struggled with the hills. XcurlytwigX sorry if I confused you, I was determined to do the distance for  the first time today. It was raining too runningbella, so I know how you feel today.

I will be honest. Ihave Post Traumatic Stress PTS from childhood trauma (I must stress not military). I struggle with groups, and forming long term routines, and with getting to know people. I'm also worried about slow times at Parkruns lol.

Enjoy your Saturday people.

• Evening all!   Welcome Stinky....  not the best name, but I will go with it!  Well done on getting out there!  33 minutes for your first effort is amazing and to cover that distance is impressive.  Well done.  I'm on Endomondo too and I love it!  If you PM me your name we can link up and cheer one another on!

Well done on entering the 10k Curley - respect!  Sub 60 sounds like a flippin dream!

Terpski - well done you!  4.25 in 30 mins sounds pretty good to me so well done.  Sounds like you are doing really well, but beware of the pain.  I did find I was getting really tight calves when I first started, but they eased after a few weeks. Take it easy and dont let yourself get injured, but be aware that it might be something which may ease after a few weeks.

maisie - it is hard when you are in a strange place and harder when you are sick.  I am away next weekend and want to keep my running schedule up, but the last time I was there I had that hellish run uphill which nearly killed me!  I have to see if there is another route I can do. But 34 is a great time.  I just did 5k in 34 something and I am bouncing off walls!  Actually, I am full of very rare roast beef and sprouts, so I stopped bouncing and am now lounging, but you know what I mean!

Right.  Early night for me. Happy running!

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm not sure of I'm getting everyones posts?

I just looked outside, its trying tosnow in West Yorkshire