The New Forest Festival of Running Half Marathon

Poor poor event, no water, uninterested marshals, wrong distance....

Comments

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    How do you know it was the wrong distance?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It hasn't even happened yet!
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Well maybe they have taken the criticism on board and improved it for this year? Give them a chance before having a pop at an event that hasn't even taken place yet.

How do you know the distance was wrong? Did you run the exact racing line for the entire course with a measuring wheel?

I can't really comment on marshalls but having done it myself, I know it is a volunteer role. They have given up their time for free to help you run around. How interested were you in what they were doing? Did you thank each of them? By the sounds of it you were pretty miserable too.

• Love your response, clearly you were there, ran the race, and experienced the set up?  Its not worth commenting any further, just some advice from my, and the vast majority of other runners from last year.  Have a lovely day.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

There is a review section for the 2012 event... you have as much experience of the 2013 event you are commenting on as I do seeing as it hasn't been run yet. Mong.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, does anyone know how courses are officially, and hopefully accurately, measured?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I vaguely remember the organiser coming on here and explaining all the issues from last yr and that they were working on improving it for this yr.

I suppose we should give them the chance to rectify things before saying that this year's event was bad.

How does everyone know it was the wrong distance. Garmin data is not 100%
  • Which organiser is this, there are loads of new forest events.  I'm partial to a sh!t event having done the newport marathon (10 runners and 28 miles) and a few others.

I'd like to know as i've signed up for the 50k ultra to get the full experience of sh1tness.  May not be the same one, but i'm doing the one this weekend.

• Chris is right it was the wrong distance over 14 miles in the end caused by the start being moved due to flooding
    They had underestimated the water and cups required. The weather was a freak hot spell as well which didnt help. And yes the marshalls were uninterested. there was also a lack of signage
    I confess I complained about it myself. However. . . It appears from the website the organisers have taken suggestions on board. I have signed up for this year again.
    I think that especially in the longer races, if you take your own sustenance and make sure you have studied the route, and expect that there may have to be last minute course changes you should be fine.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Chris Stephens 5 wrote (see)

Love your response, clearly you were there, ran the race, and experienced the set up?  Its not worth commenting any further, just some advice from my, and the vast majority of other runners from last year.  Have a lovely day.

Back to bed.  Then try getting out the other side.

• Mong? Love it, old school insults - you have made my day image

• Love WiB's responses, had a good giggle! Totally agree!

• Hi All, this is Tim the Event Director, it is true we had a few issues to deal with last year that presented us with a few 'challenges' and the marshals got a bit of grief. We did try to manage them as best we could but it ran away with us somewhat HOWEVER I'm pleased to report that this year went very well and we have some very happy runners! Sorry you had such a terrible experience Chris. This is our FB page - http://www.facebook.com/TeamNSGB - you can see on here that we turned it around. I have to admit I haven't heard the word 'mong' for a few years as wellimage

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it went well this year. I quite fancy signing up for the 50k next year. Was going to this year but it didn't really fit in with my VLM training.