Options

Gaza Marathon cancelled

due to Hamas ban on women taking part.

poor show

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I notice their objection is to men and women mixing in the same place (rather than women running marathons in general).

Why not ban the men, then? 

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Because they are fundamentally misogynistic.   

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    popsider wrote (see)

Because they are fundamentally misogynistic.   

• Options
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

having seen him on the news the other week i honestly don't think he was up to it.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
  • Options

Whilst noting that this is appalling, and women should certainly be allowed to run whatever distance they want, and in the company of men - we shouldn't forget that as recently as 1980 there were no women's events at the Olympics of further than 1500m, and the first women's Olympic marathon did not take place until four years later in Los Angeles (when there was also a 3000m event, but no 5000 or 10,000m - the latter made its bow at Seoul in 1988). Not excusing Hamas one bit - it's a ridiculous decision - but it's clear that women have had to struggle for recognition in longer distances even in more liberal societies in relatively recent times.

• Options
  • Options
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

There's no "Men's Hour" on Radio Four either.

(Women get a splendid six hours a week of "Women's Hour".)

It's only discrimination when women are excluded from something. Not when men are.

jesus. i wondered who would make this comparison.

because r4life and Hamas banning women from running are totally the same thing.

anyway, where were we.

• Options

actually i didn't wonder. I knew it'd be you Colin image

we used to get many dozens of letters to the BBC every. single. day about the Women's Hour thing. from maniacs image

• Options
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

Whilst noting that this is appalling, and women should certainly be allowed to run whatever distance they want, and in the company of men - we shouldn't forget that as recently as 1980 there were no women's events at the Olympics of further than 1500m, and the first women's Olympic marathon did not take place until four years later in Los Angeles (when there was also a 3000m event, but no 5000 or 10,000m - the latter made its bow at Seoul in 1988). Not excusing Hamas one bit - it's a ridiculous decision - but it's clear that women have had to struggle for recognition in longer distances even in more liberal societies in relatively recent times.

very true.

I can't decide if the race organisers have made the right decision to cancel or not.

Against - Hamas want the race cancelled.

For - it has thrown a spotlight on the issue.

on balance....it's the right call.

• Options

There's no "men only" studio at my gym, nor any "men only" sessions at my local pool, though there are "women only" options at both.  Women should just be more grateful!

• Options

move here then. there are men only sessions at my pool.

• Options
  • Options

Are men banned from listening to Woman's Hour then? 

Or am I not really a man if I listen to it?

• Options

So this was on in previous years, but they've now decided to change the rules?  Inconsistent and worrying that things have changed for the worse in terms of their culture being more forward-thinking.*  They're missing out on an opportunity for international runners to better understand and sympathise with challenges the Palestinian people face.

*This seems to have happened with a fair few Arabic states that were more permissive historically.

• Options

by that ridiculous concept Songs of Praise is discriminatory!

• Options
    Red Squirrel. wrote (see)

So this was on in previous years, but they've now decided to change the rules?  Inconsistent and worrying that things have changed for the worse in terms of their culture being more forward-thinking.*  They're missing out on an opportunity for international runners to better understand and sympathise with challenges the Palestinian people face.

*This seems to have happened with a fair few Arabic states that were more permissive historically.

no it was the organisers who cancelled the race* in protest that Hamas had decreed women couldn't take part. maybe Hamas hadn't noticed in previous years.

*i think

• Options

You mean to say that women are allowed out of the kitchen nowadays? image

Seriously though, poor show from Gaza if they treat ladies as 2nd class citizens.

• Options

When I saw Gaza Marathon I misread it. I thought that it was Paul Gasgoigne having a marathon drinking session. image

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

While I don't like the concept of "Woman's Hour", there is nothing to stop men listening to it, so I really don't get Colin's big gripe.

Be a rebel - listen to it if you want to!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think Colin is struggling with the concept of perspective.  Next up: Saudi women prohibited from driving vs. cheap entry for women to Sinatra's on a Thursday night.

• Options

My own problem with Woman's Hour is that it seems to be aimed at one woman, not all women - but it's a semantic problem I hope I can deal with in my head.

• Options
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

My own problem with Woman's Hour is that it seems to be aimed at one woman, not all women - but it's a semantic problem I hope I can deal with in my head.

• Options

What exactly would a 'man's hour' talk about? How its difficult being, on average, paid more for the same job? what can be done to get more men into politics or the boardroom? how there are plenty of decent male characters on the screen?

I havent listened to womens hour but assume they talk about the opposite?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    JMopper wrote (see)

What exactly would a 'man's hour' talk about?

I'm imagining a weekly live broadcast from a garden shed hosted by James May, discussing power tools, man fragrances and foraging.

• Options

and discuss how Run4Life is infringing our human rights.

• Options

I can see why you would post that here rather than the telegraph or daily mail - given thats their viewpoint of the way the world is going anyway.

If you're looking for a reaction; I mean.