P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, realised that was ambiguous just after I posted it. I would like to add that that is only ONE of my stringent criteria. But don't worry, NN, I make exceptions for hot older women. image

(that's a salacious wink there, not just the ordinary kind).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)
    Tenjiso wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

Very funny Ten. Anyway, he allegedly has a girlfriend already.

I see you've done your research image 

(I lied when I said I was putting the wooden spoon away)

I only sleep with people who can run faster than me. image

Cool. I also have a puppy.

• NN - I had forgotten you mentioned the leave before.  Definitely not worth the hassle. Also they will just say "you can self certificate for a week" anyway.  I remember people having that problem at exam time when I was a student.

Ten - the worst that will happen is that your legs won't go fast enough for a PB image

Personally I do parkrun every week.  I just incorporate it into whatever I'm supposed to be doing - recovery, strides, intervals or a 20 miler as I will do this week.  I like the parkrun atmosphere so just go along and join in whatever.  I also find that it is easier to stick to the required run there as there is no expectation of what you will do.  In fact I don't think I've ever raced a parkrun ever. image  Will do a couple over the next few weeks instead of those Saturday races.  It's a funny thing tho'. I've never really seen a Saturday race near me and would you believe, I've had emails about 2 over the coming weeks.  One I would love to do over the West Sands in St Andrews (think Chariots of Fire) but I have to work that weekend so can't get there which is unfortunate as we could have visited our family at the same time.

As for DF3 - as you have probably noticed NN he has a lot of time on his hands.

• literatin wrote (see)

Yes, realised that was ambiguous just after I posted it. I would like to add that that is only ONE of my stringent criteria. But don't worry, NN, I make exceptions for hot older women. image

(that's a salacious wink there, not just the ordinary kind).

Ah see 51 and  I still got it..image

• good grief, that was a flurry of activity in the time it took me to type my post.

•  

Fiona J wrote (see)

good grief, that was a flurry of activity in the time it took me to type my post.

Thats the problem when you haveve a bed ridden bored runner

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Fiona J wrote (see)

Ten - the worst that will happen is that your legs won't go fast enough for a PB

They have to.... to make my Jantastic prediction image

• Chris, I would personally go sub 3 hours, I am, if it goes wrong, I'll learn and be back another day, but, I feel confident with this training, and I find a 6:40 pace quite comfortable. I'm giving my all on this training and 2 years ago when I started running a sub 3 was something I thought I would never achieve, I feel this schedule prepares you right, physically and mentally. What have you got to lose, give it your all and finish a spent force.
  • Did the 5 by 600m after the 9 mile warm up.

2.04;2.13;2.10;2.07;2.07.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Silverstone photos are now stalkable. image

• SR you are a nutter doing 9 miles warm up before the intervals! Good pace mind.

Just got back from my intervals. Decided to do 6 x 800's instead of the 600's. Mainly because its easier to just run half mile repeats with the Garmin. Boring stats for the 800's: 2:50: 2.41; 2.47; 2.43; 2.43; and 2.41. All with 2 min jog recoveries.

A little bit quicker than last weeks 800's so its all encouraging. Felt knackered tonight mind and must remember to eat more before doing a session like that. A couple of very easy miles warm up and cool down either side to make a total of 8 miles for the night (so sue me Pfitz for not making it 9!).

• Hi Chris,

I just like to get the preliminaries over before I start the main event.  After which I can role over and go to sleep.....  

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

SR, hope you did a nice long cool down too.

• Ha ha. As Swiss tony would say.... 'a bit like making love to a beautiful lady...'
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Shall I start?....Running a marathon is a bit like making love to a beautiful lady... you  book an overpriced hotel in London and smother yourself in vaseline before you start.......

Swapped the schedule to do the 14 mlr last night at ace 7.45mm as a bit of DOMs has gripped my legs. Will do the vo2 stuff on Thursday at the club. looking forward a dainty recovery tonight.

NN and HeOw - Hope you are both feeling better today.

Nice reps Chris and SR. Hope you fully warmed down SR - not warming up and down for this session is the one that broke me for 4 months last summer. 

• Morning.

still not well enough to run,image but have to make the effort and get out of bed and drive to Surrey to see eldest son and grand kids , that is why I took this week off image and should have gone Monday, could really do with another day in bed but if I don't go I don't know when I will see the next and I haven't seen them since Christmas as it is..

here I come M25 image

• Out at 5am for my 12 mile MLR, felt heavy legged this morning, legs didn't want to switch up pace after the first slow 5.  But another one bagged.

SR that is definitely the tough way round to run the intervals.

Hope the sick bench is lighter this morning

• JF50 nice early run well done.image

I don't think it was food poisoning, no one else I was with suffered, when I think back to the end of last week if I am honest leading up to the half I had a tickly scratchy throat and just a bit of a sniff nothing much but just not 100%  and being an idiot  I chose to ignore it , just took vit c and carried on and raced, maybe I shouldn't have..image .

• NN perhaps the food poisoning might have been better, normally goes quicker.  Enjoy the M25!  Have a good time with your son and grandkids.

• Oh no NN - it does sound like you have just wasted yourself by racing, we have all done it, I know I have.  Just take a few days off and get back into it gradually when you feel better, you have done enough training now not to worry too much PLUS you are a seasoned marathoner, you aren't doing this for the first time, you can get away with little breaks.  Hope you feel better soon chuck.

Mennania - a wonderful interpretation of why we run marathons. 

Good work Chris - I agree, sometimes when you trot out for a run, you know you haven't eaten enough and it will be hard, I have a problem with this, my sugar levels drop certain times of the month and it can be scary.  I always take a gel in my pocket now, for that reason.  

Foot is still the same but Pod said it would get worse before better.  He did say I could still run but hmm...  I am not sure I want to, I am frightened of making it worse. I may leave it until tomorrow.  It really is only a leeetttle niggle but I am a bit cautious me.  Who'd have thought it, a cautious scouser...

• JF50 wrote (see)

NN perhaps the food poisoning might have been better, normally goes quicker.  Enjoy the M25!  Have a good time with your son and grandkids.

Exactly  !!
    The annoying thing is if someone had come on here last week and asked for advice about racing with a tickley throat and not feeling 100% what would I have told them to do or rather NOT do ???? !!!!!!! 

Heow do what you feel is best , we all know running on a dodgy foot wont give you a quality work out if you need to burn off some energy do some ironing...I will send you mine Fed Ex image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm really doing my best with this whole marathon innuendo thing but I can't quite pull together all the elements I have so far to do with shooting off too quickly, spent forces etc. Oh well.

JF50: 5am! I might actually have to do the same tomorrow to have any chance of fitting in the doubles, but I must say I'm not keen. I might have to run to trapeze class in the evening and back or something instead.

NN, HeOw, hope you're both recovered soon! Also, NN, since your HM was already 10 seconds faster than mine when you take age grading into account, imagine how much you'd beat me by when feeling 100%?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

NN - nightmare! Good luck with that drive...sounds like you have one of the many gastral bugs going round at moment. Even the queen got it.

14 mi for me today at lunchtime. Might be running in the rain for the first time in a while, although currently sun is out up here in the grim north.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Sorry to see you're still struggling NN.  Hope you recover soon.

I'm feeling a bit worn down this morning.  I'm not sure whether it's the after effects of the race, or due to my cold.  Or maybe a bit of both. image  I'm going to run a very easy nine miles soon.  I'll wear the HRM to ensure I don't overdo it.

• I also went out today with heavy legs,found it hard to get going properly, managed 16 today, starting out a very nice 7:45 and finishing arounfd 7:20 for the last 6, the thought of work this afternoon is not a nice one.  

Hope everyone who is not well or has any slight niggles get better soon.

• Another one with DOMS in the legs today. Did my 12M medium starting around 8:00, finishing 7.25 for the last 3. Taking a rest day tomorrow then hoping I'll be ready for VO2 max on Friday. Really feeling like I'm in the thick of it now.

Joining Craig in wishing get well soon to all those under the weather.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

hope you both get better, NN& HeOw

great running, folks image

Did my most dreaded sesh of the P&D plan today: 12 with 7 @ tempo image. Tempo turned out as 7:11, 7:03, 7:06, 7:07, 7:06, 7:08, 7:12 (wind nearly killed me at the end). Went better than I thought. Sun was out and I got hot and dehydrated towards the end but so glad it's done image. Legs are shot though.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

14 mi plod for me today in 1hr50. Definately felt the last few sessions in my legs.

• Excellent session Chick, great tempo splits. That was my most dreaded session as well, but I neatly sidestepped it by scheduling a half marathon in the same week! Which means the 18M w 14M mara pace is now the most feared...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done on the tempo run Chick....