Rome Marathon 2013

Comments

• I think you will do more harm than good physically to do a 20+ miler, however might be good for you physcologically.

You will be fine with 130 miles the last 2 months. (providing you are not aiming sub 3 hours)

Oh and berlin last year was awesome.

• 20 miles  week before the marathon wont help you... you'll just be a bit more tired come race day. I did a 20 mile "race" at marathon pace last weekend, and have been feeling really unfit when running ever since, I know this is just post run recovery and i'll be fine on the day. I don't feel so bad now that this year I've only done one 19, two 20s and a 21 miler.

• Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

It's just a marathon, but a marathon in Rome, on the day the Pope is enthroned, yes running at night in Rome will be magical, everything lit up, it'll be like those days when you run 20 miles in the snow grinning like a kid! Jesus, whats it take to make some people happy? 

Agree with this, it could be one of the best Marathons you'll run, and it is after all just another run. Do it and enjoy.

• EKGO wrote (see)
    Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

It's just a marathon, but a marathon in Rome, on the day the Pope is enthroned, yes running at night in Rome will be magical, everything lit up, it'll be like those days when you run 20 miles in the snow grinning like a kid! Jesus, whats it take to make some people happy? 

Agree with this, it could be one of the best Marathons you'll run, and it is after all just another run. Do it and enjoy.

JUST A MARATHON!!!!! Just a Marathon!!! May just be a marathon to you but its 6 months of hard work and training to me!

• Latest news from the Vatican: they're not in rush to choose the date of the Conclave so that could mean the ceremony being after the marathon...phew. Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

• Molly that would be excellent news.

My fingers toes and everything else are crossed.
  • I just want to say how fantastic the communication and effort to keep everything on track is from the organisers.

Regular updates and every effort being made tp help people.

Big well done and thanks

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

a decent 20 miler will set me up for 26.2 next week, I'll be doing next to no running next week but a lot of walking about.  All depends on if I get time Saturday morning or not.

• Paul, I've been wanting to do this marathon, on the back burner so to speak, since 2007 when I did Athens! ...which is unfinished business as I had a terrible race...

This is 6 years waiting for me! I could've done it anytime, but was waiting for the "right" time...of course that never comes. 

As EKGO says, if this does start late, and even if doesn't it will still be one the most memorable marathons i've done, good or bad it will leave memories, it's what life is all about.

• Lardy, this is exactly what i mean - it is not just 26.2 miles, or just a marathon. It is a long wait, with training, anticipations and potential memories, which as you say is what life is about.

If they were all just marathons, then i would not bother, but to me they are special events and special moments in your life, which have been hard earned.

Sounds like this Rome marathon means even more for you and wish you all the best, that it all goes as planned for you (well as planned as a marathon can).

• Pope update: no date set yet for Conclave. They are expected to decide tomorrow. Mon 11th March is being mentioned but that's just speculation.

Anyway, I can guarantee it'll be a magical marathon. Just when you get to the hardest part you come back into the city centre and it's like running round an open air museum. My favourite bit is Piazza Navona.

• Thanks Paul. I did something to my left hamstring strain/minor tear I don't know back in january, hasn't been right since. I did want to try for a pb, that's all gone out the window, but hey, I can still run and my cardio's fine, it's just my hamstring wont let me run at full speed, which wasn't fast anyway! lol

But I'm going to Rome on saturday! image 

*imagine excited 5 yr old on christmas eve*

So I don't care about my pb, I'm still going to run, and I'm going to place I've thought about a lot longer than the 6 year marathon wait, since I was a young boy, probably more like 35 yrs.

But some, for me, have been "just marathons", did them because they were close to home, or just because I could. This ones different. The other one I want to do, is San Francisco, for reasons I won't bore you with! image

• Molly, after wearing glasses for 30 years, and running without them for the last 8, because there was never that much to see, I went and got contact lenses just for this race.

• http://www.maratonadiroma.it/?p=en-p123-c29en-newsmedia-news&id_news=65&title=2013-rome-marathon-officially-presented-today

Attached link to marathon website - there is a pdf attached to this page which outlines all the information about the race, what pacers they will have etc.

I heard that they will be giving out gatorade as well as water on route and I wanted to get a bottle to bring out at the weekend to make sure it agrees with me but it seems to be impossible to buy in England - any ideas? If not, I'll stick to water and my gels - just curious why I can't seem to find it anywhere - is it more of a Europe and USA thing?

• Take it easy with your hamstring Lardy!!!!

Sounds like this could be a special one for you. I wont be trying for a pb either in rome as i have Brighton marathon 4 weeks later, and cant run 2 quick ones in 4 weeks.

Go on bore us with why you want to do San Fran Marathon!

Kirsty - thanks for the link!

• ADGADG ✭✭✭

I've seen gatorade in asda, tesco, pounland, just the same as powerade and lucozade except maybe not as sweet or thick.

Not had a run this week, need to get something in.

• Really? I searched all over my local Sainsbury's and Tesco and the aisle was chock full of every kind of lucozade and powerade you could wish for but no gatorade (I even started to wonder if powerade was just the UK name for gatorade - it's not, thanks Google!). Will check out Asda laster. Maybe the people of Poole have spoken and decided Gatorade isn't for them! I've used the Lucozade Lite millions of times so don't imagine it'll be much different but thought it was worth tyring it first.

• Kirsty - Gatorade isn't too bad. Usually, there are various flavours on offer at the drinks stations: I'd stick to orange or lemon and avoid a blue coloured one. I did a PB by drinking (in the 2nd half of the marathon) 1/2 apple juice + 1/2 water with a pinch of salt plus gels (caffeine free). Would I have done a PB anyway? Who knows!

Lardy - I run with contact lenses, take a spare one in your pocket just in case.  On a windy marathon day I got some dirt in my eye and as I rubbed it, and my lense came out. Rome isn't really a PB marathon because of the cobbles and it would be a shame to spend more time looking at your watch rather than admiring the view. BUT if you're on top form then give it a go! image

• I'm not on top form! lol But i don't care. 

Thanks for the info kirsty, stop worrying image  Powerade, gatorade, lucozade, awhen i've had those drinks I couldn't tell any differance. 

Theres going going to be the "LEGIO XI Clavdia" (Roman legionary reactment) at the start line and to welcome you back! How cool is that?!

Sorry, I think i'm going to have a heart attack before I get on the plane!

San francisco.... lol 

Went to Los angeles and Las vegas 14 years ago, at the time I wanted to see the Redwoods as I have a love of botany, it wasn't practical to fit in the itinerary. So became another "back burner".

Scroll on 9 years and I was er... "seeing" a polish girl, told her about wanting to see the Redwoods, she wanted to start running, so seemed like a good idea to combine the two. We ended up not going, because as she was from Poland she didn't get autmatic entry into the U.S. unlike us Brits! lol ...it all went sour anyway. 

So, since 2008 I've wanted to run the San francisco marathon and see the Redwoods, both because I really do want to do them... and to stick two fingers up at the Polish girl! lol image

• ...I also want to do the Bangkok marathon...

...another story involving a woman... image

• Are you sure it was a woman.....image I've heard rumours about these Bangkok ladies....!

My hubby is beside himself with excitement at the Roman soldiers being there - don't think he was looking forward to it that much until I told him. There is a rumour there might also be demonstrations of gladiator fighting too...

• No Conclave date today either, well they do say "no news is good news". 

• Kirsty Cooper wrote (see)

Are you sure it was a woman.....image I've heard rumours about these Bangkok ladies....!

My hubby is beside himself with excitement at the Roman soldiers being there - don't think he was looking forward to it that much until I told him. There is a rumour there might also be demonstrations of gladiator fighting too...

Lol i've never been to Bangkok! And yes ....she was definitely a woman.

The Gruppo Storico Romano are also commemorating the Ides of march on the 15, 4.30pm, at the Largo Argentina

• Im getting more interested Lardy! I did not know Bangkok hada marathon, and whats the story behind this one!

My reasons are really boring for choosing marathons - like "oh i fancy going there, why dont i  run a marathon at the end of my stay"

No conclave today is very good news! I would love to run this and cant do 4pm so every day that passes with no conclave is a yippee from me.....

• Bangkok Mararthon, they start at 1.30am to avoid the heat, think it's still about 30°C though! lol

What can I say, I was 21, she was 35, I was infatuated, it was 19 years ago always fancied going to krung Thep since then image

..another other place I'd like to go is Ankor wat, I'll have look for a mararthon there.

• ..they have a half marathon...

• Krung Thep - spoken like a local. Last time I was there the smog was pretty bad as well as the heat . Don't think I'd fancy doing a marathon there.

Angkor wat!!!! You like it hot don't you . Great holiday destination. Not sure about the half marathon though. Ermmm ok I'd give it a go.

The marathon I'd love to do is North Pole - but too expensive.

Rome is looking a bit dull in comparison.