The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

YoungPup - de-lurking again eh? You know if you do it 3 times you can never return and will be stuck in forum land forever muah ha ha ha haaa!

Ady - I was feeling the pain on Sunday afternoon. Usually I'd do a decent amount of stretching straight after a hard long run like that but the lure of bacon sarnies put paid to that. Did a little recovery run yesterday though and everything feels much better. As the weather is almost spring like today I may shift my MLR to today so as to avoid doing it in the downpours that are heading our way over the next few says.

Sarah - I'm sure you'll murder those 8 miles at MP on Friday. You've done so much great speed work - but as this is your first set of MP in your long run it'll be like a greyhound going off after a rabbit! Look forward to hearing how it went. I have visions of the scene from Back to The Future where the Delorian reaches 88mph leaving streaks of fire in its wake image

cat.on.mat - it was a really great event. The organisers did an amazing job (again). Congratulations on getting a VLM place. My first marathon was London too and it was amazing (well, up to 20 miles where I bonked out, but apart from that...) The one thing I wasn't prepared for in London was the noise. It is relentless. Never had that kind of support in any other race. I believe Paris is similar though. Anyway best of luck with the rest of your training. Sounds like you are doing great so far.

• PC91 wrote (see)
    Hi Shady, well done on your Spitfire run. Garmins are great but they are known to have small errors over long distances. Well done on your 20 miles and your new PB.

Thanks PC91. You certainly know the right things to say. From this moment onwards a new 20 mile PB was born. Here's hoping it only lasts for 5 weeks before I get another one in Paris.

I do  like your way of thinking though. It's amazing how much I've come to rely on my Garmin. I've got into the bad habit of looking at my wrist far too often and that means I end up constantly speeding up and slowing down all the time to match my pacing target. I am trying to rectify this though.

Here's hoping they measured the Paris course with a ill-measuring Garmin. A 25 mile marathon could almost see me pushing for a Boston qualifying time! image

• Shady, I saw you out for your lunch-time run. I was most impressed, you were running smooth and easy. I expect the weather being nice and mild was an added bonus. Their is no way I could get anywhere near you these days. Keep it up, PB on the way for your marathon. Cheers Allan

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Ady,

Yes- I wouldn't get hung up on the Garmin data. The guys on some of the threads with loads of experience pretty much ignore them for races. My Garmin was only 0.08 miles short. I'm sure the course was accurately measured. Well done on a new PB!

YP - good to see you de-lurking. Time to hang about!

Cat.on.mat - well done. Brilliant pacing. Make sure you really enjoy London. As Malcs says the noise is unbelievable.

• Hello all

Glad you're recovering well from the weekend's endeavours, Ady and all you other Spitfire racers! Ever since training day on Saturday I've had a sore Achilles and haven't run a step - very worrying with a 20 mile race this weekend image Can't get to see any of my usual faves but am seeing a physio tomorrow, who I have no knowledge of. Not ideal! Elliptical trainer yesterday, 2km swim today. Bored already!

Ady, try not to be too much of a slave to your Garmin. It's fine for pace to fluctuate a bit - my OH paced the 1.30 runners at Eastbourne on Sunday, and his pace ranged from the early 6.40s to above 7 but he brought them in at 1.29.30!.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ouch Sam! That's the problem with good physios, they are always booked up. Surely you could just Google "sore achilles" like any normal person - that would sort you out in no time wouldn't it? image

I have to say this is the worst part about running - aches and pains that seemingly appear out of nowhere. I had one last week and it just seemed to disappear after a couple of days rest. I've had others in the past where I could barely walk and 3 days later I run 20 miles with no problems at all. When they talk about the mental side of running marathons I'm sure they don't mean the niggles but they bleeding well should do! Race day is a doddle in comparison.

And to add insult to injury (quite literally in fact) you end up having to do all these other boring forms of exercise to keep your fitness levels up. 

I tell you, this running mullarky is one tortuous business!

Best of luck with the mystery physio.

PS. my copy of 'Marathon From Start To Finish' suggests you are taking all the right steps. It's a very good read. If you want to borrow it I can pop it in the post image

• Emma - life is going well! Thank you. Work is very busy with Commonwealth Games almost here but always challenging and never ever dull!  I was at the new Sir Chris Velodrome and the new indoor track in Glasgow today - very impressive!

Baby number 4 on its way so running has reduced and slowed to a jog! Impressed that running for you has turned into a family affair! I took my five year old out for her first run on Sunday (after much nagging on her part!) and she loved it so we are off out again on Wednesday evening so if i lack the motivation I have a new found a way of making me just get out there no matter now tired I am feeling after work  (although to be fair this forum keeps me motivated) & not using a pregnancy as an excuse to not go running  or should  I say jogging!

• Shady Ady

Great report! Well done on Sunday, considering you where so tired you felt sick!

Keep focused on food choices, you are so nearly there with weight target and this I believe will help you achieve your goal in Paris.

• Week 11 Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training Round-up (W/ Ending 03/03/13):

Day 71 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (25/02/13)

Target: Rest Day

Actual: 40 minutes of Pilates and stretching.

Day 72 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (26/02/13)

Target: 5 miles comfortable @ 7:50m/m - 8:50m/m

Actual: 5.28 miles in 40:19 @ 7:38m/m plus 20 mins of stretching

Mile Splits: 1st @ 7:45m/m. 2nd @ 7:40m/m. 3rd @ 7:44m/m. 4th @ 7:44m/m. 5th @ 7:37m/m. Last 0.29 @ 6:24m/m

Day 73 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (27/02/13)

Target: 6 miles progressive around marathon pace (8:10m/m-7:20m/m)

Actual: 6.21 miles in 47:24 @ 7:38m/m (exactly the same as yesterday's pace!)

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:04m/m. 2nd @ 7:53m/m. 3rd @ 7:49m/m. 4th @ 7:33m/m. 5th @ 7:24m/m. 6th @ 7:16m/m. Last 0.21 @ 6:44m/m

Day 74 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (28/02/13)

Target: 4-5 mile jog (9:00m/m-10:00m/m)

Actual: 5.24 miles in 48:05 @ 9:11m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 10:09m/m. 2nd @ 9:32m/m. 3rd @ 8:51m/m. 4th @ 8:58m/m. 5th @ 8:43m/m. Last 0.24 @ 7:49m/m

Day 75 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (01/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest

Day 76 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (02/03/13)

Target: TRAINING DAY BIRMINGHAM (4 MILES MP PLUS SOME SHORT SPEED WORK)

Actual: 1.52 mile w/up in 14:43 @ 9:40m/m, 2:02 with Garmin at MP in 15:53 @ 7:51m/m, 2:02 without Garmin at MP in 15:57 @ 7:55m/m, 1 mile on track with straights at 10k pace and bends at MP in 6:54m/m, 0.52 mile cool down in 5:00 @ 9:32.

Total mileage: 7:08 miles in 57:45 @ 8:09m/m

Day 77 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (03/03/13) - Surrey Spitfire 20

Target: Surrey Spitfire 20 Miler - 1st 10 miles @ 8:45-9:00m/m, 2nd 10 miles @ MP - 8:00m/m

Actual: Surrey Spitfire 20 miler (actually 19.83 miles) in 2:45:30 @ 8:21m/m.

(A new PB for a 20 mile race, beating my previous 20 mile best by 1 minute)

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:47m/m. 2nd @ 8:44m/m. 3rd @ 8:52m/m. 4th @ 8:50m/m. 5th @ 8:58m/m. 6th @ 9:01m/m. 7th @ 8:37m/m. 8th @ 8:49m/m. 9th @ 8:44m/m. 10th @ 8:22m/m. 11th @ 8:00m/m. 12th @ 7:53m/m. 13th @ 8:06m/m. 14th @ 7:55m/m. 15th @ 8:01m/m. 16th @ 7:43m/m. 17th @ 8:06m/m. 18th @ 8:02m/m. 19th @ 7:56m/m. 20th @ 7:23m/m.

TOTAL MILEAGE:

TARGET: 42 MILES

ACTUAL:  43.64 MILES

This might possibly me the highest weekly mileage I have ever done for any marathon training before. The strange thing is though - it didn't feel like it was that much. I haven't felt too tired or lethargic. I think the main reason for this is that I'm still having two days a week off from running. Therefore there's no runs that are that short any more. Previously my longest week day runs would only be 3.5 miles. I definitely think having weekly runs of 6-9 miles has helped build up my stamina.

My niggles seem to be clearing up and I'm feeling really positive as I enter my last and heaviest week before the taper starts!

• Week 11 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 9: 154.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Weight After Week 10: 153.2lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 11: 152.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Total Loss: 10.0lbs

Another week and another week where my weight has dropped. I think this might be the start of my weight plateau beginning now. Saying that though, last week wasn't my best week of eating and maybe this shows in my weekly loss.

One thing I have noticed in the last week - my appetite has stepped itself up a notch. My previous diet just doesn't seem enough anymore and by mid afternoon I'm starving. Like Ruth has said previously, this could be because I'm lacking enough protein in my lunches. I'll try and improve that this coming week.

Even if I struggle to lose weight from now on, I'm not too bothered. The 10lbs I've lost so far has certainly made a difference to my running. I just need to stay focused now for the last 5 weeks.

5lbs to lose in the last 5 weeks. I've face tougher challenges before!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruth - congratulations on number 4! I hope you are eating properly, you know - pickles and ice cream, lumps of coal, dirt, soap and toothpaste. Diet is so important don't you know! image

Ady - you seem to be in a great position now. Get this next week out the way and you'll sail through your taper.

• EmmaC wrote (see)

Well done - believe in all the pacing it works!!!!

I understand that you met my hubby this morning - he has been a very naughty stydent and didn't follow my pacing plan (as learnt from Sam last year). Well done you for sticking with it.

Such a great event - sorry to have missed it. I was actually in Rye celebrating a friends 40th - walks on the beach and mooching around shops without children squabbing - heaven!

Hey Emma....apologies for only getting around now to replying to you properly. It's nice to see you on here and hear how great this experience was for you as well. I have to say, that so far this has been one of life's exceptional experiences and although it might have taken over my life the past 12 weeks or so, it's been worth every bit. 

I'm completely with you - all this pacing definitely works! I can't believe I went under my old 20 mile PB with having to run half the race at what I'd now call an easy pace (above 8:45m/m). It's insane to see the development and see the potential that lies within. Hopefully the fact that 12 weeks ago I was a podgy, overweight jogger who was currently running 20 mins slower than their current  HM PB, goes to show with commitment and drive, anyone can make such drastic improvements.

I must say I was impressed talking to your OH.......the fact that both of you can still train and run long distance events while bringing up a young family.....it definitely gives me more confidence of being able to continue when I venture down that path.

Well done on your Tunbridge PB.  Good luck for Paddock Wood as well. Hopefully I'll still be making PBs in a year's time as well!

• YoungPup wrote (see)
    Shady - really nice to meet you and Malcs today (and DS2 right at the end), and I hope you didn't mind me tagging along with you both for most of the race. It was a great coincidence (at least for me image) that you were both on almost exactly the same pacing strategy as me, and it definitely helped to keep me working in the 2nd half

My pre race plan was to run the first 10 @ 9m/m, and then the second 10 @ 07:30, with the aim of finishing in around 2hrs 45 mins. Like you, I really enjoyed the whole race, especially the 2nd half, and my Garmin time at the end was 2:44:59 seconds image

Good luck with the rest of your training, and I'll go back to lurking again nowimage

YP

Young Pup.......not a problem tagging along at all....the more the merrier to be honest. It's nice running with people as it kind of spurs you on and stops you from slowing down when your mind starts telling you too! 

You were just a little too fast for me on Sunday. It seemed whenever Malcs and I sped up, so did you. Give me another year and I might be able to match your 7:30m/m last 10 mile lap! image

Good luck for the marathon.......it was the Milton Keynes Marathon you said you were doing?

DS2 wrote (see)
    Hi all, a really good day in Surrey was had by all. Nice to meet fellow for unites. Just a shame I ran the whole way on my own. Ended with 2:18:39 with a 3 1/2 minute negative split so feel on target for sub 3:15 in 10 weeks time.

Emma - we did indeed meet your hubby. What can I say about pacing - he's a man!!! I will also be at Paddock wood. Fast flat course. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Well done Ady, Malcs and young pup. That's how to pace things!

It seems like it was negative splits all round. These negative splits are nice.....only the 2nd time I've ever achieved one......so much better running this way than crossing the line at a snails pace struggling to put one foot in fornt of the other. It's got me thinking now whether I should think about doing something a little similar in Paris. Well, for at least the first 5 miles where there might be a lot of congestion and therefore running 8:15 or even 8:30m/m wouldn't be a disaster.

Great meeting up again. Hopefully they'll be a few more races we can all get together in the future!

• EmmaC wrote (see)

Thank you Ruth!

I've fallen of the wagon a bit with my food - especially as I don't need all the calories as I'm not marathon training. Seeing you on here is a reminder to me to try and eat better!

How are you doing?

I don't think I'll ever be able to eat a piece of cake again or a packet of Quavers image without thinking "What would Ruth be saying now!". Ruth could keep me thin for years at this rate!

RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Sarah, regarding milkshakes you do need to be wary about calorie content and your energy budget (how much calories you can eat to maintain a heathy body composition balanced with racing weight). You weigh very little, so of less concern for you, but for Adrian I would not suggest he adds 500ml each day of  flavoured  milk (sorry for talking about you being your back Adrain!) everyday but a glass of around 200ml at lunch may be useful for Adrian whether from milk (lesser calories) or even a milk shake. However, 500ml of a milkshake post race or long runs is a great recovery drink for most but as a day to day drink just be wary of the added calories if need to watch their weight- it is all about balance.

Here are some examples of calories, carb and protein content:

• Pint of skimmed milk: 218kcal, 28g carbs and 19g protein
    • For goodness shake (500ml): 266-315kcal, 50g carbs & 17g protein
    • Sainsbury flavoured milk (500ml): 350kcal, 49g carbs & 19g protein
    • Frijj (500ml): 325kcal, 52g carbs, 18.5g protein
    • Nesquik power and 400ml skimmed milk: 171kcal, 50g carbs, 14g protein

Let me know if this makes sense!

I never realised Sainsbury's flavoured milk contained so many calories. I might shun their 2 for £2 in th future now then! I definitely think I need something extra at lunch now as my normal lunches just aren't enough.....and I don't want to resort to chocolate and crisps..............would a yoghurt be a good alternative to have as well?

• cat.on.mat wrote (see)

Hi,   I was also at the Spitfire 20, but somewhere behind you.  I confess that I waited to hear what your race plan was before deciding on mine.  I knew I had to turn the dial down quite a bit on your plan, so your 10 miles at 9 mins/mile turned into 15 miles for me, and then your 8 mins/mile became 8:30 in mine.  I was really pleased that it worked; my first 15 averaged 8:58mm, then 4 at 8:30ish, then my last mile was my fastest, and I finished in 2: 56: 36.  It was a great confidence boost for VLM, which will be my first marathon.  I hope that April will be a bit warmer than yesterday; the wind whipping across the airfield on the second lap was freezing.    I really enjoyed chatting to folk on the way round - i met such interesting and supportive people who really helped me to keep on going.   Best of luck with the rest of your Paris preparation.

Hey cat.on.mat........great to hear from you. Great to see as well that the pacing plan worked for you as well. I really enjoyed breaking the race down in to 2 laps. It almost felt like it was two separate races. 

We actually weren't that far apart at all. I was probably still at then finish when you finished!

I know what you mean about the wind on the second lap. It was extremely cold and slowed me up a bit running head first in to it. Luckily you didn;t really feel it that much after you left the airfield though.

What are you aiming at running for London? London was the first marathon I ever ran in 2004. It is still one of my favourites. The crowds are amazing. If there's anything I regret when I ran it the first time was that I was too focused on time and didn't take in the amazing crowds and experience as much as what I should.

Really good luck for London. I hope everything goes to plan. image

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    I really cant believe how quickly the marathon is approaching...was thinking about life after marathon training...it will feel quite empty especially after all this time on the RW forum. Will you keep your thread going do you think?

Im hoping to do an 18 mile training run this fri with 8 m at MP and then I have a 20 mile race a week on sunday which I plan to run like yours. The week after im in france and have a 15k race. The following week will be my last big one I think before my taper. Are you doing your longest run 3 or 4 weeks before Paris?

Hey Sarah........I agree.....life will feel very empty once training and writing is all over. I don't think I'll keep this thread going to be honest....I'm not sure people will be interested in reading about my daily training once Paris is over with! image I think I'll have to find another home. I'll definitely try and keep on the forums though as it's such an excellent resource.

Good luck with your 18 miler this weekend. It does sound like you are racking up the long runs. I don't think the marathon will pose any problem to you at all! I'll be doing my longest run this coming weekend, so I'll have a 4 week taper. I've never done a taper properly before so I'm intrigued how I'll cope with the cut back in running. 

It seems you're getting quite a few continental runs in to your training! I'm very jealous!

• YoungPup wrote (see)
    My legs felt a little sore and tight on Sunday afternoon, and getting out of my car after the drive home from the Spitfire was not fun. However, a bit of light stretching on Sunday evening, and a gentle play on my foam roller meant they felt surprisingly good yesterday, and I'm aiming to do 9miles today, so we'll see how they feel during that.

I was a bit bad and didn't do that much stretching after the race......I was too worrried they might be selling out of bacon butties! I was actually very surprised on Monday, as my legs felt absolutely fine. No aches at all. They did feel a little lethargic on my run today though.  I hope the 9 miles didn'y feel as achey as my 4 miles did today!

Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - I was feeling the pain on Sunday afternoon. Usually I'd do a decent amount of stretching straight after a hard long run like that but the lure of bacon sarnies put paid to that. Did a little recovery run yesterday though and everything feels much better. As the weather is almost spring like today I may shift my MLR to today so as to avoid doing it in the downpours that are heading our way over the next few says.

Did you shift your MLR to today and enjoy the Spring like weather? I don't think my legs would have handled much more than the recovery jog I did. Hopefully they will be back to normal for my speed session tomorrow.

• Allan Macaulay 3 wrote (see)

Shady, I saw you out for your lunch-time run. I was most impressed, you were running smooth and easy. I expect the weather being nice and mild was an added bonus. Their is no way I could get anywhere near you these days. Keep it up, PB on the way for your marathon. Cheers Allan

Hey Allan....now I know I have people seeing me running at lunch, I'll have to make sure I don't take my foot off the gas! I hope I wasn't just blankly staring off and ignored you as I ran past. I can't remember seeing you!

Any more comments like that and I'll start to blush! I'll keep an eye out for you tomorrow!

• DS2 wrote (see)

Hi Ady,

Yes- I wouldn't get hung up on the Garmin data. The guys on some of the threads with loads of experience pretty much ignore them for races. My Garmin was only 0.08 miles short. I'm sure the course was accurately measured. Well done on a new PB!

DS2....thanks for making me feel less guilty about my new '20' mile PB. I'm definitely having it now!

SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hello all

Glad you're recovering well from the weekend's endeavours, Ady and all you other Spitfire racers! Ever since training day on Saturday I've had a sore Achilles and haven't run a step - very worrying with a 20 mile race this weekend image Can't get to see any of my usual faves but am seeing a physio tomorrow, who I have no knowledge of. Not ideal! Elliptical trainer yesterday, 2km swim today. Bored already!

Ady, try not to be too much of a slave to your Garmin. It's fine for pace to fluctuate a bit - my OH paced the 1.30 runners at Eastbourne on Sunday, and his pace ranged from the early 6.40s to above 7 but he brought them in at 1.29.30!.

Hey Sam.......I hope you haven't done anything too serious with your Achilles. I hope it doesn't affect you running Grizzly this weekend, or pacing VLM. 

It's nice hearing you say not to be a slave to the Garmin. Even a fluctuation of 5 seconds I start to worry about. It makes me feel a bit more relaxed for Paris now knowing that it's not the end of the world if I run some slower miles, as I can always pull that time back. When I ran my PB at Boston, running at 8:00m/m I knew I was reaching my limits, but this time around I feel like I have one or two extra gears I crank up if there is the need to go faster. Hopefully I'll still have these towards the end of the race!

I hope all goes well at the physio tomorrow.

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Shady Ady

Great report! Well done on Sunday, considering you where so tired you felt sick!

Keep focused on food choices, you are so nearly there with weight target and this I believe will help you achieve your goal in Paris.

Hey Ruth........It sounds like you are very busy at the moment....not only with work, but with adding to your family as well. I hope the sight of 5 runners all beating their targets in Paris doesn't bring on early labour! The thought of one child still sounds daunting to me.........I'm coming out in a cold sweat thinking of having 4!

I will remain focused on eating the right foodsimage. There's no way I'm going to throw away all the hard work now by taking my eye off the ball and sneaking in the wrong types of food! One last push should still see me getting down to 148lbs all being well. 

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - you seem to be in a great position now. Get this next week out the way and you'll sail through your taper.

Thanks Malcs........I don't feel too apprehensive about this weekends 20 miler at all now. I think 20 miles easy should be far easier than the conditions we raced in.

I enjoyed your company so much, I might have convinced another friend to run with me for my 20 miler at the weekend....or at least part of it. I might struggle to ever run by myself again!

It'll be weird starting my taper just as I'm starting to feel at my strongest. Hopefully saying that won't mean I now suffer a barrage of bad luck!

• Haha, thanks Malcs

Congratulations Ruth on baby number 4....im getting worried about getting to the hurdle of baby number 1....im loving my running and dont know if I would or could give it up to have one.....maybe thats a sign that im still not ready yet!

Hi Ady, congratulations on the 10lb weight loss, you must be over the moon and feel so much more better for it. Least you have lost it steadily aswell so your more likely to keep it off afterwards.

I was thinking that too with the thread, but Minnis', the one that she set up last year is still going very strong..its difficult to keep up with it sometimes.

Im loving all these runs abroad, its the perfect holiday for me.

Im going to have to do a 3 week taper I think as 4 weeks before is that 9 mile race in france and I dont really want to do a 5 week taper. I tried to get the day off work after we get back so i could do a long run then but I wasnt allowed it off due to it being too close to the easter holidays. I have the thursday afternoon off before we go, but im not sure a long run would be wise the day before driving to france and only 4 days after east hull 20
  • Quick question Ady...how quickly did you get use to your new trainers? how many runs did you wear them for before spitfire?

I have worn mine twice now and they dont feel as comfy as my previous pair (the ones ive been doing most my miles in). I did 4m in them last week and 9.5m today but they seemed to make the bottom of my foot uncomfortable from about mile 5 today. Im not sure whether to leave them on one side for now and just wear my older trainers for london or whether to persevere.

Sam I hope you make a quick recovery
  • Day 78 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (04/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest

After yesterday's Spitfire 20 race, I was thinking that today's rest day would be a blessing. Strangely though, I woke  up with no aches in my legs at all. This never happens. Normally after every long run I have some aches. It's even stranger as I failed to stretch sufficiently after my race, instead choosing the bacon sarnie option.

Throughout the day I was waiting for the stiffness to creep in as the lactic acid made itself known. But it didn't. I'm hoping this is a good sign.

By the time I reached home in the evening and caught up on all those boring daily chores that should never be bought up in conversation, it was too late to do any foam-rollering. This can wait for another evening, especially as my knee seems to be in perfect working order. I don't want to say this too loudly though as it's tempting fate! 

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Monday 4th March 2013

6:50am - Breakfast - Jordan's Country Crisp Chunky Nut cereals w/ semi-skimmed milk. (BOGOF special!)

9:45am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:00am - Cup of tea, banana

12:15pm - Lunch - Beef and salad baguette, fat free Muller yoghurt, bottle of Pepsi Max

2:00pm - Cup of tea, tangerine

4:00pm - Bottle of water, apple

7:00pm - Dinner - Grilled chicken with rice and sweetcorn (aka Nandos Takeaway! Managed to keep it healthy!), pint of squash

8:30pm - A couple of leftover Percy Pigs from Sunday, cup of tea

10:00pm - Glass of water.

• Day 79 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (05/03/13)

Target: 4 mile jog @ 9:00 - 9:40

Actual: 4.22 miles in 37:05 @ 8:47m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:51m/m. 2nd @ 8:56m/m. 3rd @ 8:54m/m. 4th @ 8:51m/m. Last 0.22 miles @ 6:57m/m

I think I might have been slightly overly confident yesterday with how relaxed and good my legs felt. Today was a different story. They felt very similar to how they feel after most long runs, just taking a day extra for the lactic acid to work its magic.

As soon as I started I was happy today was only a recovery jog, rather than a speed session. My legs felt heavy and it felt harder work to get up to speed. Even though I was running slowly, it felt like more of an effort to keep going.

I shouldn't really complain about how much harder today was. It was glorious outside. A warm breeze, blue skies and sun, sun, sun. Men were walking around in their 'wife beater' white vests and I could smell a BBQ cooking away. All at lunch on a Monday. You can't fault how the British embrace a spot of nice weather like it'll be the last they see of it for months on end!

By the end of the run, my legs had loosened up a bit and I was able to stretch out and I finished with a sprint like I normally do. No knee pain, no troubles at all.

Not a bad way to start my heaviest running week of the Paris training regime!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/280890717

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Tuesday 5th March 2013

6:50am - Breakfast - Jordan's Country Crisp Chunky Nut cereals w/ semi-skimmed milk.

8:45am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

10:45am - Cup of tea, banana, bottle of water

12:00pm - 4 mile recovery run (see earlier for full write up)

1:00pm - Lunch - Bulgar Wheat, two tomatoes, tangerine, bottle of water

2:00pm - Cup of tea, bottle of water

3:00pm - apple

5:00pm - Bottle of water, cup of tea

7:30pm - Dinner - Egg noodles and salmon, pint of squash

8:30pm - Yoghurt with a handful of nuts and berries, a couple of leftover Percy Pigs from Sundays race. Cup of tea.

9:00pm - Pint of squash

10:00pm - Glass of water

•  

What are you aiming at running for London? London was the first marathon I ever ran in 2004. It is still one of my favourites. The crowds are amazing. If there's anything I regret when I ran it the first time was that I was too focused on time and didn't take in the amazing crowds and experience as much as what I should.

Really good luck for London. I hope everything goes to plan. image

I am really looking forward to VLM, and hope that the noise and the crowds will keep me going.  I have not asked my family to come and cheer me on at anything so far, but they are definitely coming to support for VLM.  I have a charity place, so they will be with all the other Anthony Nolan supporters.  [Sarah - I have 3 children, and have only just started running, so you needn't worry that you have to stop when kids arrive!]

Lots of people have said that I shouldn't really have a target for my first marathon, that just completing will be enough.  But I think I am too competitive for that!  I started off hoping to come in under 4 hours, then lost confidence  and thought it would be closer to 4:15.  But now I am wondering if 4 hours is possible,  If I can do 20 under 3 hours, that means I could do 10 min miles for the last 6, and squeak in under 4 hours.  Do you think that is too optimistic?   

I am also thinking of joining the RW pacing group - have you ever done that?

• Day 80 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (06/03/13)

Target: 5 mile comfortable @ 7:50 - 8:50

Actual: 5.20 miles in 39:53 @ 7:40m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 7:46m/m. 2nd @ 7:47m/m. 3rd @ 7:39m/m. 4th @ 7:44m/m. 5th mile @ 7:40m/m.  Last 0.20 miles @ 6:31m/m

Today should have been the speed interval training, but I was stuck in a meeting until gone midday. Because of this I had to swap Thursday and Wednesday's sessions around as I didn't have time to fit 8.5 miles in today. Normally I'd be quite annoyed at having to miss my planned lunch time run session but I wasn't bothered today. I can still get my miles and session in tomorrow, plus the meeting I was in today was full of good news for a change - I've somehow managed to get promoted! I've certainly had worse starts to the week.

This good news could help explain the fact I ran today's 5 mile comfortable run a bit faster than what I should have done. The aches and pains in my legs from yesterday had subsided today and the pace felt good and quite comfortable.

It's funny running in warmer weather. Not only do I find it far more enjoyable, but it seems other runners are also in better moods. I swear there is a direct correlation between the weather and how many runners are prepared to acknowledge other runners. It was almost a 100% success rate of acknowledgements today!

As I was enjoying the run today and liked the speed, it did cross my mind to run a little longer than what was prescribed. In the end I decided against this, knowing tomorrow will offer the chance to push myself even harder.

Just before the end of the run I passed the end of the runway of Farnborough Airport. There were several members of public with their telescopes and binoculars focusing on a plane taking off. I looked at them in pity, thinking how could they spend their lunch breaks doing something so boring and monotonous - oh look, a plane is taking off.........wait a second, there's another plane.......you'll never guess what this one is doing.........it's taking off too!

I shuck my head and smiled wryly. As I passed the plane spotters they looked at me, looked at each other and smiled, as if to say, "I can't believe this guy spends his lunch breaks doing something as boring and monotonous as running". I suppose I shouldn't judge what others enjoy when they probably have similar perceptions of what floats my boat!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/281226619

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Hi Ady, congratulations on the 10lb weight loss, you must be over the moon and feel so much more better for it. Least you have lost it steadily aswell so your more likely to keep it off afterwards.

I was thinking that too with the thread, but Minnis', the one that she set up last year is still going very strong..its difficult to keep up with it sometimes.

Im loving all these runs abroad, its the perfect holiday for me.

Im going to have to do a 3 week taper I think as 4 weeks before is that 9 mile race in france and I dont really want to do a 5 week taper. I tried to get the day off work after we get back so i could do a long run then but I wasnt allowed it off due to it being too close to the easter holidays. I have the thursday afternoon off before we go, but im not sure a long run would be wise the day before driving to france and only 4 days after east hull 20

Hey Sarah.....I am delighted with the weight loss, but I know there's still a way to go before I'll be happy. When I look in the mirror and flex my non-existant muscles (which just makes my fatty bits jiggle about!) it makes me realise just how much work I've got left to do. I do think though losing this weight and eventually more will have such an impact on my ability to run faster and stay clear of injuries. 

Once Paris is over and I'm in the 'off-season', I'd like to concentrate more on conditioning my body and working more on strengthening my upper body. The only reason I haven't done this during Paris training, is that I've found it hard to have time to do this alongside running, especially at the weekends.

Minnis thread is still going as strong as ever. That could actually become my new home after Paris. Saying that though, if people are still posting on my thread, then I'll reply!

I'm sure a three week taper is perfect! I think my taper will be similar to a three week taper now as because I've missed about 15 miles or so in training the past few weeks due to injury and illness (only about 3 days!), then my mileage next week might be increased to help accommodate this.

I agree with you though......I don't think a long run would be wise so soon after your 20 miler and the day before going to France! image