Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Big thanks to Radar Sal for the 'Supporters Guide' emailed through today, a great read, very helpful, and much appreciated! image

And now the missis has no excuse to 'just got for a coffee for three hours"....!

• Onetit - it's not necessary to be able to stand to go to the pub. You can always prop yourself up against a wall if necessary image.

Sounds like fun Kaz. Good inspiration for both of you! How's the walrus, by the way?

Unexpected discovery during this evening's intervals on the treadmill - if you listen very carefully to Tubthumping by Chumbawumba, just at the end you can hear Jeremiah Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary, very quietly, in the background. And talking of things being knocked down - Dave - ow image .

Hi Rick, welcome to the thread. Any disgusting habits you'd like to share with us image ?
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Bedders wrote (see)

Big thanks to Radar Sal for the 'Supporters Guide' emailed through today, a great read, very helpful, and much appreciated! image

And now the missis has no excuse to 'just got for a coffee for three hours"....!

no excuse whatsoever!  she'll miss out on TD's pom poms if she does.

• Hi Rick, welcome!

After my 20 mile struggle on Sunday, I went out on my own tonight to do a hill session. After doing efforts with my club fior a year, I felt a wee bit daft on my own, to be honest...

I was quite nervous heading out, and worried that it woud be a repeat of Sunday's treacle wading. However, I ran to the hill, ran up and down it ten times and ran back, feeling better and stronger with every step. It just goes to show you what a day's rest and a change of pace can do!

Also nearly had a heart attack today as I've lost the eurostar confirmation email, and can't remember the times. I do have the credit card transaction though, so I definitely bought the tickets. I've asked for a repeat e-mail to be sent, so will hopefully get it through soon so i can book the train to London. Not long now!

• Hi Rick

Man with a pole walks into a bar.
    Barman says: "Are you a pole vaulter?"
    Man says: "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"

• Hello Rick.

20 mile run on Saturday; 25 mile cycle on Sunday; 10K run yesterday; 2K swim tonight. Totally exhausted now. A beer and some cake is required urgently.

And why did Walter take a pole into the pub?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Maybe the Pole was thirsty?
  • Everyone - Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Rodent - No real 'disgusting' habits that come to mind.  Unless you count 'being american' as a disgusting habit?  image  And although not disgusting, my wife would be quick to point out that I have habit of never turning out the bathroom light.  And I mean never.  I dont think i've remembered since sometme in the late 1980s. 

Rob - If there's wine and cider around the half-way mark, then I will definately be bringing the fuel belt as I'd need a way to take enough to last me the rest of the course. 

• James - I don't think 'being American' is a particularly disgusting habit.

The bathroom light thing however...

• James, or is it Rick - welcome to the madhouse. You'll find plenty of usual info on here as well plenty of useless info. what you will find in abundance is banter and (the) love (man). image

guys check out my photo's from Sunday (if you can be arsed) - there's quite a few gems in there, mainly cause i look like i'm having a good time (and i look skinnier these days so i'm thinking their the best race photos ever) - you have to click enlarge to look at each one. I might have to buy the whole set for skanky skankville.

http://www.marathonfoto.com/Half-Marathon/Adidas-Half-Marathon-Silverstone-2013/offering/myMarathonfotos/RaceOID/19802013W2/Language/en

Poweraid in a cup x 1 - thats generous - i'm taking 3 x SIS isotonic and 3 x Carb gels slotted into my little utility belt. I'll Just have a few swigs of water along the way as well. The other day i sipped Lucozade sport orange flavour for the hour leading up to the race (i thinked it helped even if it did taste like sweet sugary nastinessimage

Despite having sore achy tired quads this morning i think today's run helped them feel better

• Simon MacDoughnut wrote (see)
    And why did Walter take a pole into the pub?

Hadn't thought of that before Simon. Knickers.

Okay...athlete without a pole walks into the athletes village at the Olympics.
    Gamesmaker says: "Are you a pole vaulter?"
    Athlete says: "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"

James - An American in Paris. Gene Kelly did a film about that.

Jimbob - link comes up with a message saying "can't find cookies"

/members/images/727962/Gallery/cookie-monster3-7769871237963363.jpg

Me want cookies

• Weedy (and anyone else that can be bothered) go to www.marathonfoto.com 

surname Connell / race Adidas Silverstone half marathon 2013 / select james Connell

PRESTO / Manorexic!

• Weedy - me want cookies too.

You seen the Family Guy spoof of Cookie Monster when he's in the asylum? Fab.
  • I love Family Guy IM2. It's just coming on beeb3. Last night was the one where Brian gets weed legalized, such a great episode.
  • TJB - a huge guilty pleasure. Great A-Team reference tonight...
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well, speaking of Americans....how many of us on this thread are coming over from the US? Yes, I know I'm not a real American, but I have lived here 25 years....

• kaz1 wrote (see)

ouch Daveimage

Just back from taking Junior to athletics. Tonight she has been running with William Sitchel, Orkneys Ultra runner who  has set 60 age group records. Needless  to say she's very excited about it.

omg..   Kaz..    that guy is exceptional...   he can literally run forever......!

• Jimbob...    you iz awesome...   you are going to have a blast in Paris...  image

TD...    you defy medical science, and you always worry me......

Everyone else....   take it easy...   too close now to mess it up...

• Dannirr - you may be our only RSA native?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

ouch Daveimage

Just back from taking Junior to athletics. Tonight she has been running with William Sitchel, Orkneys Ultra runner who  has set 60 age group records. Needless  to say she's very excited about it.

omg..   Kaz..    that guy is exceptional...   he can literally run forever......!

I'm jealous as well!

Dave - How are you this morning? That sounds like a real 'ouch' injury

Rick - Welcome. Do you promise never to give us up? or let us down? Will you be around?image

TD - I was thinking just pom poms...image You run so fast that we'd never see anything anyway!

Kaz - How is the job going?

Weedy - I love the cookie monster!

I was meant to go out for 6 easy miles. I turned in and did only 4 1/2. Felt awful and was getting more and more annoyed at myself.

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Okay...athlete without a pole walks into the athletes village at the Olympics.
    Gamesmaker says: "Are you a pole vaulter?"

Weedy..  bit worried about the athlete without a pole just walking into the athletes village.  I mean,  What about photo ID..?   Security checks..?   We can't just have any athlete without a pole going around thinking they can walk into the village.  

It needs refinement.....

• Good morning dear threaderers (is that a word?)

What a beautiful day in here. Mercury 'pole' at this Pole's house shows increadible +10 and it's only 9am. That can mean only one thing: running time
  • Morning Folks....

Rather stiff this morning, and reminded of the quote from one of my heros Jens Voight, road rash doesn't really hurt at the time, It's laid in the bed the following morning feeling your body stuck to the sheets !!!!

So that's the bed linen in the wash and me wearing shorts

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

Weedy..  bit worried about the athlete without a pole just walking into the athletes village.  I mean,  What about photo ID..?   Security checks..?   We can't just have any athlete without a pole going around thinking they can walk into the village.  

It needs refinement.....

Knickers...

Okay.

Athlete walks into the Olympic Village. Without a pole.
    Gamesmaker says: "Can I see your photo ID please?"
    Athlete says: "Certainly, here you go."
    Gamesmaker says: "Thank you sir. Are you a pole vaulter?"
    Gamesmaker says: "It's on your photo ID."

• wi wrote (see)
    Good morning dear threaderers (is that a word?)

Wiola, if I listen to what has been said by Running Rodent and Emmy then I think in Paris I might be called 'Thread-bare'. I'm gonna' take good care of myu Pom-Poms anyway.

Rick - howdie and welcome. We love you already. The Rick in the photo is Rick Astley. Probably wasn't famous in the US and Rick's are relatively few and far between in British circles. Well, there was the geezer with the long hair and 3 chords from the 70s in that group that just wants to keep everything the same....

Rode my bike to work this morning, great that it's not cold, bad that I was still sweating 15 minutes after arriving at my desk after my shower.

TJB - your Marathonfoto link didn't work for me but I am sure you looked awesome (Rick - I used that word to make you feel right at home)image

• Emmy - how come awful?

Jimbob - those pics are great. Love the one where the guy's leaping over the line.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Great photos, JB!

Rick, your life's gonna be Hell from here....

We expect the whole performance in the pub, Sunday night....

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Rick I bet you're really glad you found this thread now...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Emmy - how come awful?

Jimbob - those pics are great. Love the one where the guy's leaping over the line.

I think it was just a bad day. I wasn't "feeling" it to begin with but thought - once I warm up i'll be fine. My legs felt quite stiff and sore. I think a long session with the stick of pain is in order.

ATM wrote (see)

Great photos, JB!

Rick, your life's gonna be Hell from here....

We expect the whole performance in the pub, Sunday night....

I agree to that. Please work on the dance moves as well image

ATM - You've gone on my frustration list... I've now got "never gonna give you up" in my head.image