Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Mmmm, pie!

As for my session - nearly but not quite!

Wasn't feeling on the best form before hand - stiff and tired but thought I'd give it a crack anyway and stop making excuses!

So, came out as 2M wwarm up in 7:24, 7:08, 2M MP in 6:21, 6:27 (too quick!), 2M HMP in 5:59, 6:05 then a problem! Trying to get the 2nd HMP down to 6mM, with the last 200m slightly uphill led to sudden oxygen deficit and severe retching image. So, once I'd stoped retching, I did 1/2M jog then 1M at 10k pace in 5:48, then 1M warm down.

Seems like a good session to test fitness that's for sure!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - that sounds like the ric 200m session he mentioned last week.  although his was 30mins and 30 reps so your recovery is the remainder of the minute.  will be interseted to see how you get on as im keen to give it a crack.

also what type of pie....

nice tempo session bus - bundering aside that looks a good run

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just went and dug out Ric's sesh, it was 30x200m, with each 200m+rest in 1minute.

Dean your pace would have been 35/36, so perhaps Dachs, slightly slower, but c;eary you get less recovery.

So although say 37/38 a 200m doesn't sound too hard, it becomes that after a stack of goes at it.

I think i'll stick with my 8 reps in 34, but with 1min to relax.image

Nice session Bus, but was always going to be a big ask that one! Good work for trying it though!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus - great session, pace looks damn good to me.  Like you, I did have a quick breather before attempting the 10K bit, although I won't admit to any retching, so I reckon that's fine - the important thing is hitting a higher pace at the end, particularly psychological.

Session tonight is in teams of 3, so your recovery is actually the time it takes 2 to run 200, i.e. in the region of 1:10-1:15.  This obviously means you can hit a faster pace, so I have usually been in the 33-34 zone when attempting it in the past.

The frustrating thing is when it comes to adding it to your weekly mileage, and you've thrashed your legs but only covered about 5 miles including warm up and warm downs.

Dean - pie was pork and apple.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, sounds similar to a mad session that we used to do at Frankie's club occasionally.

Teams of 3, 10x absolutely leathering the distance that I can only imagine was about 150metres, then recover while the other 2 chaps do theirs. 2min recovery after the 10reps, then same again. Utterly jelly legs is not the word.

On another note, some of my club mates were getting excited over some event called the "Grizzly" down on the coast.

I just checked exactly what it is, and it's a 20mile, mostly offroad trek over steep hills, bogs, pebbly beaches and all sorts.

2 of our chaps came 1st and 2nd 2 years ago, in 2:38 and 2:41 accordingly.

That 2.41 guy has done 1hr 12 for a half...so that shows how tricky the course is!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I'm saving that kind of malarkey until my times start getting slower.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Chaps.

I know of several older guys who talk about the grizzly - probably on the same basis of having a 'challenge' event when the speed starts to slow like dachs would do image 

On an unrelated matter, what thoughts on doing a half the week before a marathon? Specifically the Oxford Half the week before Abingdon.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, spot on, there's a time for messing around with crazy races, and it aint in your main competitive years!

Bus, surely you're not thinking about a flat out half the week before a marathon!! Isn't it normally about 3-4 weeks before a marathon they advise that?

Therefore, you'd need to ask yourself, could you do it as some last gasp MP effort job? Although maybe it's a bit late even for that?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)
    On an unrelated matter, what thoughts on doing a half the week before a marathon? Specifically the Oxford Half the week before Abingdon.

erm... that'd be mental! The week before a marathon, my long run would be no more than around 70 mins max at easy pace. And i definitely wouldn't do it in a 'race' as you can easily get tempted to get carried away.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thinking about it, but only fleetingly! A friend has offered me a lift there. If it was cheap, then maybe a last MP effort would actually not be too bad, but it aint, and I'm not sure there's much point in doing it without trying for a good time....

It's supposedly a flat course though SG - may be one for yourself?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It went into the power of 10 records as HMNAD last year! I remember a female pal being gutted as she'd done a pb and all seemed fine on the watch, but NAD = no pb image

Seems a good one to do one day though, as surely they won't bungle anything the next time....surely.

There's no way you could allow loads of much slower runners to beat you though.

• Stevie, had roughly a 14/15 years off from running... I'd like to think it was because of injury, and at the beginning it was.... But knowing what it took to get to the level I was, was also a draw back...

But hey ho, time trial tonight, couple of races over the next few weeks, and hopefully I'll be back on song....

• Nice 5 miler in 7:05 pace. Felt much better tonight but still tired.

Track spikes... does everybody size down for them, or at least 0.5 smaller? I've heard that the idea? Got my eye on some beautiful bright Nikes.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

amatuer question to answer that Stevie....but do you mean racing wise, or do you folks all use spikes to do your reps?

I only realised about 2 years ago everyone used racers, so I might be similarly ridiculous out of touch on this too

• Spikes to race in, guy at my club said go a half down as they are slipper like and supposed to be tight fitting. I won't train in them (my calves would explode). I'll break them ij in Portugal though with a few sessions.

NAD - how do the Po10 'find out' courses are short? I've run a 10K that was 0.1 of a mile out (40 seconds?) and that was fine. I saw a local half (Tatton) be on the dot but still it went down as a NAD. Surely race organiser aren't submitting short distances rather than moving the finish line!? Seems pot luck sometimes.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Official measureres have to certify them Stevie. Hmm, wuldn't want to be NADed!

Just looked at the garnin trace of today's run. It seems I'd have been much better off doing it the other way around as the first 6M were all very slightly uphill, with 2M down at the ned. As I did a 2M warm up, all the high pace stuff could have been on a slight incline (or would that just be chaeating myself image)

• Stevie, I run in Nikes and race in Nike spikes the same size.

Nice 12.5 at lunchtime round the Royal Parks: Holland Park, Hyde Park and Regents Park (my first time out that way). Pace 7:30 without looking at the Garmin as I was using it as a sat nav and was running easy so that is a nice outcome.

SG: Sunday run early, 10-12 miles, nice route?

Listening to Dave Moorcroft on marathon talk. Session was always same effort as recovery so 5x1000m with 1000m jog recovery. did the 1000s in 2:30 and said his best was 4x600 with the 600s in 82 seconds for f***s sake. I'd be happy to do a lap in that. I have raced him on a two lapper and was ahead after one lap.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The NADs must be more of an arse the longer the distance. Imagine if it happened at a marathon, your target event for the year!

My previous 5k somehow got on PO10 as a "5k" despite it being about 75% offroad, and being a bit dodgy, in that everyone seemed to be 10secs up on the other 4 races in the series... Thank goodness to wipe that outta dodge once and for all.

Phil, probably. Haven't got the Fri-Sun part of my schedule yet, but I'm sure there will be something to that end in there. We can spice the route up a little. Sounds like you'll be able to shift up to 7.20 or so with me now image

You were ahead of Dave Moorcroft after 1 lap? Was this last year or something?

A bit like my story of playing the late ex top flight footballer Mike Keen off the pitch once.

Although I was 23 and he was 60+ image

• There was a marathon in Liverpool this year that was NAD. I'd go on a killing streak if that happened to me!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Stevie - my spikes are the same size as my trainers. Both are asics
  • Stevie G . wrote (see)

You were ahead of Dave Moorcroft after 1 lap? Was this last year or something?

Would have been early 90's. He is 12 years older than me so I would have been maybe 28 and he 40.

My parkrun at the weekend was 5kNAD. NAD doesn't mean short, all it means is that it isn't a certified 5k road course: the finish is about 10m off road in a funnel.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah doesn't officially mean short, but not guaranteed to be the full distance.

Which for anoraks who are obsessed with figures and distances is pretty pointless.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Track spikes! Been a while since I donned a pair of those. I can't imagine I ever will again.

Session tonight was 800 steady, then 20 x 200, then 800 steady again. The 200s were all 33 and 34. It was the leg speed that held me back in the end rather than the lunchtime pie. I probably need a bit more proper speedwork somewhere along the line. I'm not one of life's sprinters.
  • Time trial complete... Most of the clubs big boys didn't turn up because of Bath last weekend... So not to be negative the positives where, 1. It didn't rain, and some might say perfect conditions.... 2. My new shampoo does allow my hair to bounce more freely when running.... 3. (This may take some time)...

Need to take advantage of parkruns and local small events, can't race once every four to six weeks, it just ain't working...

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    By the way, we should have done something to celebrate the 800th page of this thread. Let off some party poppers or something. Too late now we're on 801.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

20 at that pace is pretty good going Dachs. I did 8 at that pace the other day. I'm not saying I was wiped out, but that was the session and I was happy to scootle off there!

Was it with the "double" rest like you said earlier?

Dachs, page 1,000 of the thread, ETA 31st December 2013 will be the real celebration.

We'll celebrate like it's erm... two-thousand and thir-errr-teeen

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    SG - yep, recoveries ended up being about 72 seconds.

Right, so its all round SG's house for the 1,000th page. A night of debauchery awaits. Strippers, ladyboys, doing coke off a midget's head etc. Buckinghamshire won't have seen such scenes sine the Hellfire Club.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You'll have a glass of tepid water, and listen to me and Ric F having an "anecdote off" to entertain you and will like it.

Your session sounds reasonable in that situation Dachs, almost quite enjoyable. I'd have fancied that.

Most of your stuff I wonder if I'm doing the same sport!

• Dachs... Many more sessions like tonights, then I'll be surprised if your still walking come the 1000th page... Thats got to take something out of you????

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bluey, Dachs is clearly a run fast, retire young, leave a beautiful running body type, a couple of years, get his 31mins 10k and then off into the sunset.

Whereas the likes of me and Bus will stay in it until the bitter end, trying to creak out sub 1 hour 10ks.