PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• I could do with doing some t1 training got a duathlon on Sunday and done bugger all transition practise.... It's just finding the time at the moment image oh well off for a swim and a ride for a couple of hours as back too work tommoro...
  • jamie tardi wrote (see)
    I could do with doing some t1 training got a duathlon on Sunday and done bugger all transition practise.... It's just finding the time at the moment image oh well off for a swim and a ride for a couple of hours as back too work tommoro...

Do some R/B/R/B/R sets. You'll learn to take trainers off at same time as put helmet on. Don't just discard your trainers - you'll need them later!

• Yeah gonna try fit some in this week.... I'm normally pretty swift in transition but like you say duathlon is different and I do normally just launch my trainers at my bike pretty much in the rush. Cheers ironcat il make some time this weekend, I came 6th last year and kinda wanna win or come top 3 and over sprint the transition counts for a lot...
  • OrangeCannon - I'm from Near Stansted Airport so not very local to Roding Valley and I'm Stortford Tri Club. Is is you in pirate gear on the results page? Not sure if we are close enough for a ride meet? Are you doing Henley?

• Yep thats me last year when i could still run image

Im probably 90 mins or so from stanstead, so ypu are prpbably right..... Unless its a special occaision.

im doing lanza then outlaw.....

I doubt ill be at henley anymore but the missus may be doing the half......
  • Managed to get up Howe Hill on the TT bike today - I'm running a 53/39 with a 12/27 cassette set up ready for Lanza - so it was a little easier. But its gonna hurt the third time round image but did hit 43mph on the way down image

• Nice one rafiki such awesome weather today, I managed a nice 70 miler yesterday and a good swim been instructed by mate coach/mate I must take a day off today as I can still barely walk since the HM lol....
  • Good stuff Raf. I did a 32 mile ride this morning and loved it. Got one of my fastest descents too but only 32.5mph. I think I'd scream at 43. image The rest of the ride was very slow, but I'm not fretting about speed now, just getting time in the saddle and a few climbs. 

• Nice training guys image

(I think I too would scream at 43 mph image)

• I did get to 41 mph on my std Specialized Allez on Saturday. Then hit a series of potholes and cats eyes. Scream? No. But I did sh!t myself when I got the front wheel shakes. First time on this bike.

• When you get the old speed wobbles you will screamimage
  • Can I ask what everybody uses for fuel on the bike? I can't stomach gels for 8 hours especially as I'll be having the on the run as well so would prefer some solid food. I tried porridge oat breakfast bars today on the basis that they aren't too sweet but they were a bit dry and got stuck in my throat a bit. I know some people have eaten pork pie - but after 8 hours in the (hopefully) sun?!.  My next thought is for mini marmite butties but any suggestions appreciated.

Ta

• haven't tried it out yet, but I'm going for cheese/marmite butties and cold roast potatoes imageimage   and probably home made flapjack, and possibly bounty bars image

• For training I stuck with a High5 gel every 40 minutes. Plus an ice-cream every now and then if hot. Plus a museli bar or two. Each museli bar is about 80-100cal.

For Outlaw I had 2 big museli bars (200 cal each) cut in to 4, a piece each 20 minutes, then on to gels and bits of bannanas when available. Tried 1 gel on the run and couldn't manage it.

• *comes out of lurking*

One seasoned pirate I know has packed fudge, malt loaf, and a pasty for his bike leg

What about cocktail sausages? I am thinking small and not so sweet, but I guess it's more or less down to your own palate
  • Soupy ... try reversing that

Have the gels and drink on the bike and have alternative foods like coke and banana et.c on the run
    I would think that it is easier and has less overall impact on your speed to take the easy route on the bike
    Less gels. more coke and bits on the run

?

• Thats an idea Meldy, thanks.  A combination of gels and cocktail sausages on the bike might be a way forward. I know I'll want something savoury and  and Ive no idea what I'll be able to stomach on the run. I've just always used gels on marathons but this is a different beast I suppose. 

I can't imagine who would have a pasty.image 

• **looks in to see if this is the dedicated pasty thread**

• I really like too gels with flapjacks, they go too nasty whilst sat in the sun and deliver what you need, but everyone gets sick of gels at the end of a IM last part of the run they start too taste a bit like vomit :/
  • m..eface wrote (see)

**looks in to see if this is the dedicated pasty thread**

Could be. image

http://brookenolan.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/pasties.jpg

• I've been using flapjack style breakfast bars on the rides, but some can be a bit too chewy or sick-er-ly after you've had a few. It's important to wash them down too. I have been wondering about the merits of that wonder food Peanut Butter. After all it's high in protein and calories too, and should survive. Remember that your bike snack has got to live in the open for almost 24 hours from the point of racking.

I know that one Ultra marathon runner likes to eat salted boiled potatoes, and I can see the merit.

• I use a bento box on the bike and use flapjack and gingerbread men.

You can eat almost anything on the bike.
  • It's easier to digest stuff on the bike as you aren't normally working as hard. So solid food will be easier on the stomach during the bike than the run. I am also pondering savoury solid food for the bike - I'm currently thinking about marmite and plain crisp rolls!

The 'energy' bars from the big brands are a rip off in my opinion. I have been using kellog's Nutrigrain bars (both 'elevenses' and the normal ones) and find them just as good - plus they're a quarter of the price. Mini-soreens are good too!

I think my current plan is a bottle full of diluted gels to sup on throughout the bike leg but breaking that up with some bars and rolls. Then I'll just pick up water from the aid stations. Easy! image

• So is everyone enjoying there first Fink recovery week?

Not sure I like the idea of these hills that work out at 3mph on the way up and 40mph on the way down wouldn't it be much easier and safer just going 15mph on the flatimage.

I've been thinking about the nutrition on the bike and have had a few thoughts. I do like the idea of some savoury snacks on the bike but not sure anything with sausage or meat would be great (taste or health) at the end of 6-7hours sat on a bike in the sun. The other thing I find is that stuff gets stuck in my teeth, I tried malt loaf the other day and took ages to get the bits out of my teeth, not a good distraction on a bike. Given that a bottle of sports drink will give you about 150-200 cals and you can only absorb about 300-400 an hours if its warm then just drinking a couple of bottles an hour and an odd gel should be enough or am I missing something? Glad I've booked a HIM and Oly to practise this stuff on. I know that there is no way I can eat anything significant while running a marathon, I struggled with gels and even jelly babies by the end of both the marathons I've done.

Bager - I like the idea of a bottel full of gels, the just warmer or the zero stuff.

• Just drinking is not really a great plan you should really try and get some solids in to you... However don't do that on the run just stick too gels and water/coke/sports drink.... Try and find something that doesn't distract you and tastes nice... Fig rolls are good... Easy too eat can stack loads of them in a bento box or cycle jersey, I wouldn't think too much about it on the oly distance mate its too short too really give you some correct feedback, but the HIM is a good place too test it out and obviously your long training rides... I'm a having a good slack/recovery week legs still ache a bit from the HM on Sunday....
  • Recovery week going well for me too. I am enjoying the training so far, it's nice to work off a plan as I've been freestyling pretty much since my last HIM last September. I'm even enjoying training to heart rate as I feel it gives my sessions a bit of focus.

Even though I'm only four weeks in, I am actually starting to feel stronger already - especially on the treadmill. image

• Mmmmm pasties image

Dropped my cornish pastie coming out of T1 at Wales whilst last year, to dangerous to stop and go back for it what with the amount of riders about.

Gutted image
  • gingerbread sounds good. At this rate I'll need a great big cool box secured to my bike. My bento box is tiny, how am I going to fit 8 hours worth of grub in that? Oh well, plenty of time to experiment. Hard lines about your cornish pastie Barlos. Perhaps you should have had a Welsh Pasty. image 

But don't take your own pasty to Henley. image