Park Runs

I have just discovered Park Runs and although there isn't one in Doncaster,i travel to Hull every saturday and its well worth the 40 minute journey.An absolute pleasure to run in this well organised event. The people are very welcoming and friendly.Everyone should try it....I was amazed when i found that about 250-300 people run it every saturday....

Comments

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it's worth the travel as I think the closest to me is about a 30 minute drive. Does it have chip timing?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    No they don't have chip timing. But they do time you via your barcode thingy but the times are from when the gun goes to when you cross the line.

They are good fun though.
  • david when i pb'd my marathon.i did 3 park runs a month as my speed work...smashed my 5k time and then my marathon time..

best races around i think....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    No they don't have chip timing. But they do time you via your barcode thingy but the times are from when the gun goes to when you cross the line.
    They are good fun though.

You get 2 types of chip. Chip to chip, which is the best version, and the crapper, gun to chip, which only seems to suit organisers.

So the park run is the equivalent of the gun to chip option.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Ok I suppose it is a form of gun to chip timing, but it doesn't benifit you if you are last over the start line.
  • its a free race....you can always record your own time image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I wasn't saying it was a bad thing against parkrun. It's put on for free so the official timing part of it is a great bonus.

I go every other week as it is a good guide of how my training is going.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how big some parkruns are, but generally if you're only dealing with 50-100 people you won't lose much over the start line.

Unlike these events where people can lose 15mins or so! It's those races where chip to chip is essential.

Gun to chip only seems to help organisers, not the runner! Much cheaper though no doubt!

• I've done 3 now at Albert Park Middlesbrough and can't fault them! For a free race it's quality, really friendly atmosphere and results are online by tea time! If you are really bothered about time it's easy enough to get to the front to start as majority of the runners are there for fun!
  • I have volunteered to help marshall my hometown inaugural Parkrun next month, the only obvious downside to this is I can't run it myself. Rumours that as the sweep up runner I will be issued with a taser have proved sadly untrue image

It does seem from the little involvement that I have had so far that Parkrun as a phenomena is growing rapidly. Hopefully in a short time this will reduce the travel time most people have to endure to get to one.

They may not be perfect but as a free event I think we should appreciate them whilst they are here. 

• I got into running through Park runs. I've only been running since new year and sadly only fitted in 2 park runs but they are so much fun. I'm lucky to have 4 within half an hour of me and the nearest one is a 10min drive. Wythenshawe is really muddy at the moment so times are tough, they normally get around 100 runners so the gun to chip makes little difference.

Was meant to be doing my first 10k on Sunday but I've come down with a rotten fever so won't be going anywhere!
  • GRAHAM PLOWRIGHT wrote (see)

I have just discovered Park Runs and although there isn't one in Doncaster,i travel to Hull every saturday and its well worth the 40 minute journey.An absolute pleasure to run in this well organised event. The people are very welcoming and friendly.Everyone should try it....I was amazed when i found that about 250-300 people run it every saturday....

Hmmm travel time.

I'll see your 40 minutes to the nearest parkrun, and raise you 10.

Nearest parkrun to me is Cambridge, 50 mins, and Ipswich 54 mins.

• we are hoping to start up a new one in Glasgow soon (the original Glasgow one is nearly full to capacity.

great events.

do other ones really have chip timing? not at any i've attended.

• According to the website all timings are done by scanning the bar codes at the end so I don't believe any are chip to chip. It would cost too much to implement surely?
  • I've done 7 since they started near me in November. I have to say they have become quite addictive, testament by the fact that some runners have completed well over 100.

Great for a tempo run if you do a lap beforehand and a cool down after.

What I found best was that it made me  race-ready for the HM I did last weekend. Having "raced" every other weekend I was no longer tempted to get caught up in the early dash at the start of the 13.1.

• i do a lot of long, slow miles (ultra runner) so I find them a good sharpener. get the old heart going.

• I know a few of the lads from our club use them as part of their long runs. By running to the park doing the 5k then running back they can still get their 18 or so miles in! Great little races just wished my shifts allowed me to run more of them!!
  • seren nos wrote (see)

david when i pb'd my marathon.i did 3 park runs a month as my speed work...smashed my 5k time and then my marathon time..

best races around i think....

Seren - that sounds like a really good idea, did you just try to race them as fast as poss or incorporate intervals/tempo work into it? Just curious image

• Im new to running and as part of my training for the Silverstone half i did some park runs in Chelmsford. They are great!! Well organised, friendly and amazingly free. 

I honestly can't recomend them highly enough

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I would crap myself that Im going to pull a hamstring or something, thats why Im not doing one until after my next HM ....... I would kick myself if I went to one this weekend, did an injury and then thats all she wrote for my HM.

Its a 5k not a 100m sprint, surely your training for the HM includes tempo running?

• Graham (original poster)

How about Pontefract racecourse???, won't that be closer, just up the A1?

There's a lot of support from the local SweatShop branch (at 'Xscape') and the 2 local club (mine - 'Ackworth Road-Runners', & 'Pontefract AC')
  • legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

I'm finally going to enter my 'local' park run (Cardiff) next Saturday (about 40 mins away). Heard a rumour of a couple more starting up in South Wales with one looking very likely and would only be 20 minutes away. Think I'd be a regular if that does happen.

• Any1 know if they can scan your barcode off my phone?,only signed up tonight an want run in the morning.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sean, no they can't. I wondered that too but it said on this weeks newsletter that it has to be printed.
  • Thanks millsy,get it printed in the morning then.
  • Have tried to scan a smartphone and it definitely doesn't work.
  • roebyroeby ✭✭✭

I help every week at mine.....today I,m on car park duty.........which means wearing big foam handsimage.My son who is 10 is running his first park run today, hes so exciyedimage.They are a brill way to measure your training, ours is a very fast flat course, the record being 15.55 secs.Good for speed run training.I,m regularly sweeper too which is really inspiring, seeing new runners getting better each week and wiping minutes off their times image