Too Close Together?

I am doing a 10k race in May (RW Trailblazer) and a half marathon has come up exactly a week before that a couple of friends are entering and I am tempted. Is this too much? I've never been in a race before and am inexperienced but I am guessing this is not advisable

Comments

• Have been running for a year now and regularly run 10 miles for my LSR but am slow, 9.30 min miles on the long runs. But I understand what you're saying so think I will have to give it a miss.
  • it all depends how quickly you can recover from the half marathon, and if you are looking at  a quick time in the 10k. If you are already comfortably running 10 miles, and if you feel OK the next day, I'd say go for it! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Depends completely on the intensity you plan to race either event at, and your powers of recovery!

Generally a 10k the week before a half can be a nice build up, but the other way round isn't great.

• I always feel fine the day after I have done a run of 10 miles. I put it down to the fact that I am slow!

I have only really entered the RW trailblazer for the experience of a race. Am tempted again now lol
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I don't see why you can't do both, just see how you feel, just because someone else thinks they can't do it doesn't mean you can't.
  • If you treat the half marathon as a long slow run you will probably be ok. You will  enjoy the experience. Just don't push yourself. Plus if you go slow you'll have an easy time to beat the next time.

• I like your thinking Seth 1972, that sounds like a plan image
  • I wouldn't be able to resist going at a good pace for the half and knacker myself for the 10k. If you're more patient than me and able to resist the atmosphere I'm sure you'll be fine!

• I agree with Seth and no matter what you'll have notched up a PB in two events in 8 days. Good work by anyones's standards image

For the HM all I would say is try not to get sucked up into the race atmosphere too much. It's a must too enjoy the day and the build up and everything that makes a race but fun but I offer one tip - the majority will head off at a pace too quick for themselves so don't be worried if people shoot off around you, just  don't feel the need to follow them.

The most common mistake as a newbie is to assume everyone else around you knows what they are doing. They don't. I hope you have great fun in both races.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    iluvstaffies wrote (see)
    Have been running for a year now and regularly run 10 miles for my LSR but am slow, 9.30 min miles on the long runs. But I understand what you're saying so think I will have to give it a miss.

9:30 isn't slow for your LSRs. It sounds patronising, but LSRs should be Long, they should be Run and they should be Slow!  A lot of people forget about the "slow" bit. Indeed you might want to slow down a bit more.

As for your question...  the vast majority of people in your circumstances can certainly do it, and enjoy it.  How to tackle it will depend on your motivation, age, body etc.  The HM could be treated as a LSR endurance training run... But unless you want to shave off every possible second for the 10K, then I'd say you should race them both.  By May, your LSRs will be beyond 13 miles, so you should be in really good shape for the half.  And unless you've some specific circumstances, you should have shaken off 95% of the HM after-effects by the following Friday.

If you do a HM on the Sunday, then suggest do a recovery jog on Monday, rest on Tuesday (reverse those if you prefer), Wednesday, short recovery jog, Thursday, rest.  Friday some sort of speed work to get your legs moving again...  like a 4 mile run easy run, with 3 or 4 bursts of 10K pace... just for 200m each somewhere in the middle, Saturday rest, then go for it again on the Sunday.

You might lose a minute or maybe two on your 10K time, compared to a scenario where you don't 'race' the HM. But what does it matter?  And then again, you actually might benefit.  If you know you've to do that HM, you're more likely to focus on endurance training in the next 2-3 months, which is often neglected by people preparing for a 10K.

So... go for it.   But be prepared to listen to your body and if you're not quite right after then HM, then pull out of the 10K, or take it easy.

• Thanks for all the advice.  Well I have signed up for the HM.    To be honest I would much sooner do the HM than the 10K but I am sure I will be able to do both as I am going to treat the HM as a long slow run.  I just want the experience of a race and it's been a goal of mine to complete a HM, I don't mind about the time and like Seth says, next time I do one I should be able to get a new PB image

I know I might sound daft to some people that I am not going to go flat out in a race but I am entering them to enjoy them.  I have another 10K lined up later in the year so will save myself for that one and give it my best shot.  For now I am just going to enjoy the atmosphere and the fact that I will hopefully be able to say I have completed a HM.