Waking up early

Hi everyone! Just want some thoughts/advice please.

I've started getting up a 6am so that I can start running in the morning.  This is all in preparation for the Brighton Marathon.  It's quite a shock to the system so I haven't started running early straight away, instead just doing chores, walking dog, cleaning chicken coop early to get me into a routine of 'early morning=activity'.  However, it's really difficult to muster the energy to become a morning running person.  So have you any advice for becoming a morning running person?  How long will it take to physically and mentally get used to running in the morning? 

Comments

• it will take as long as it needs - getting out of the door is the hardest part.

everyone has different approaches to what they think is the best time of day to run - some of us prefer morning, others evening.   once you adapt, you will muster the energy to get out and for me, running in the morning is easier and it's usually quieter as well.

and depending on how far you plan to run, you don't necessarily need any pre-fuel drink/food if you've eaten and hydrated well the previous evening. I'll happily do an hour's morning run on no fuel or drink.

anyway Brighton marathon doesn't start until 9am - that's almost afternoon.... image

• Get up at least half an hour before you need to set out, drink fruit juice and strong black coffee.

Works for me. Oh, and take it easy, as it'll take you a while to get in the habit: you'll probably find that you'll naturally speed up in a while. image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I think the key, for me anyway, is not to think about it.  My alarm goes off at 5:15, I get up, get some cereal in a bowl for my 10 year old son and a drink, turn the telly on quietly so it is already for his apppearance which is usually about the same time - put stuff on and out the door usually about 10 minutes later - so am normally on the road by 5:25 ish - You do get used to it,  but as I say don't think about it.

• I agree with Grendel3 I get all my clothes etc. ready the night before so that when my alarm goes off at 6am I just get up, get dressed and go.  You are running before you realise what you are doing!

• Janinemarie wrote (see)

I agree with Grendel3 I get all my clothes etc. ready the night before so that when my alarm goes off at 6am I just get up, get dressed and go.  You are running before you realise what you are doing!

I agree. It is a matter of just gritting your teeth and doing it for a while. Given time you'll find it easier until eventually it feels routine as your body clock adjusts

I did years of getting up at 5 for work and it became second nature, I now work from home keeping odd hours and guess what? 5 o'clock every morning BING! wideawake. 

• NOT a morning person but been doing this for 4 years now.

Winter mornings - very tough

Summer mornings - not too bad

No magic trick though, just getting used to it as best you can.

• Stuoid O Clock Thread is for early mornng runners as mentioned by JF50.

• Thanks for the replies (sorry bit of a late reply).  It's definitely better exercising in the morning image

• This Friday I will get up at about 5.00 and run for three hours in preparation for my forthcoming marathon. Because I am running at a very slow pace, I kind of warm up as I go along, but just take a gell and a drink beforehand. First mile or two a bit of a drag, but you kind of find your spirit. Its hard but worth it.