Easy vs. jog?

I'm about to start a 5k running schedule, what's the difference between the pace of "easy" at the start and end and the pace of "jog" inbetween the brisk runs.

Also, is "brisk" tempo or threshold... confused!!! image

Jules x

Comments

• I would start really slow, at a pace that you can maintain a converstation without getting out of breath. If you do, slow down. The more runs you do like this the faster you will be able to run over time.

Im sure you will get plenty more replies re the tempo and threshold stuff. Good luck! Have you entered a 5k?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I wouldn't sweat the details between "easy" and "jog", but if there is any difference I'd say jog is a touch slower.  You're just ticking over between harder efforts, so the emphasis is on recovery, whereas running at an "easy" pace is itself supposed to have an effect on your aerobic fitness.  So as soon as you break into a run from a walk, you're jogging, with easy pace involving getting into more of a rythm, but still feeling very comfortable.

Some people use the terms tempo and threshold interchangeably but strictly speaking tempo is a more general term signifying any run done at a harder pace over an extended distance, with (lactate) threshold being one particular pace.  I would interpret "brisk" according to how you feel; you should be able to run at a pace significantly quicker than easy pace but be able to maintain it for the prescribed distance without feeling exhausted.  A lot of it's trial and error, so start out cautious and push the pace a bit more when you get a better idea of your limits.

• imageYeah, my first is 19th April - building up from that to 10k in July and half-marathon in October.

I've just looked at the pace calculator and that really helped!

Thanks for your input guys - it's helped image