Options

Male v Female numbers?

We've been watching our stats this year and seen a big jump from almost a 55/45 split for a few months to almost a 70/30 split of men and women entering our race. 

What makes more men suddenly sign up in February? Does a male dominated race bother anyone? 

Comments

• Options

women like to rpepare and enter these things early so that they klnow they have a place and can train.......

men leave it to last minute tyo organise things and enter

• Options

More men run, more men race so no surprise to me

• Options

No idea why you would have a sudden jump in male entries. Maybe females are more likely to have signed up early to be efficient and practical with your early bird offer you had so now the counterbalance happens and then it evens out again nearer the race date?

And no doesn't bother me, in fact I actually feel better for completing a male dominated event such as Tough Guy or some hard run. Daft but it gives me a sense of being in a minority that I like. 

• Options
    You can compare other races yourself. I have my A-level in statistics so I will give you some tips. Go to a race webpage. Look at the results and count how many Ms there are compared to Fs.
  • Options

Our stats make us think last year was slightly out of the norm for a race, JF50. We had a higher number of female entries than the average race and a 59/41 split. Maybe it's just a changing trend plus our area might brings in more females. Be interesting to see if it's about the same after this years race in September. 

www.ealinghalfmarathon.com

• Options

Don't tempt me to enter, I'll sway the stats only one way

• Options

We were more wondering why a sudden spike in Feb for male signups Sussex Runner that's all. 

Think seren nos might be on to something.

• Options
    Do you offer the same prize money for the female winner compared to the male winner?
  • Options

Come on JF50, you know you want to..... come over to the West London side....it's even better than the dark side!

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It doesn't bother me doing a male-dominated event because I'm only likely to notice the male-female split in the part of the race I'm running in, not the whole thing, and because of the general trend for men to be faster than women, the faster I go the fewer other women there'll be around me compared to men. So if I can't see any other women that's probably a good sign!

• Options

We do yes Susse Runner. What's your opinion on that? Good or bad? 

• Options

If more men sign up late it's probably because more men run, so therefore more men are statisically available to run a half marathon at short notice, as it's only a short distance if you run regular. I dare say lots of women sign up late too, but they will be regular runners used to the distance, of which there are less. 

Without wanting to sound sexist, men seem to have a more devil may care, I can do it attitude as well.

• Options

Good thoughts literatin - the less women you see the better, great indicator and a good aim for picking people off. 

• Options

I never get that far ahead to use that thought process literatin image 

I don't think that's a sexist comment lardarse, think it's just true. You get 'chicked' in our run club if one of the guys gets beaten by a girl. Think that's probably more sexist but it's genuinely meant in good humour and taken as such.....by most who aren't chicked image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Miss Knees wrote (see)

I never get that far ahead to use that thought process literatin image 

Well, I don't normally win or anything!

• Options
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

women like to rpepare and enter these things early so that they klnow they have a place and can train.......

I'm not sure that signing 

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

I'm not sure that signing up for a half marathon 7 months in advance can be described as 'last minute'

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    According to Hal Higdon, 57% finishers in HMs are female versus 41% for full marathons but I'm guessing this is based on US races.

I'd love to do the Ealing Half but I think it clashes again with the Moor Park 10k which is also local to me.

Like others have said, I'm really not that bothered re proportion of males/females in a race, it's not usually something I'm even aware of until I see the results.
  • Options
    Slowkoala wrote (see)
    According to Hal Higdon, 57% finishers in HMs are female versus 41% for full marathons but I'm guessing this is based on US races.

I'd love to do the Ealing Half but I think it clashes again with the Moor Park 10k which is also local to me.

Like others have said, I'm really not that bothered re proportion of males/females in a race, it's not usually something I'm even aware of until I see the results.

I would be amazed if those figures are correct unless the US is so different to the UK.  Look at the 2013 Silverstone HM run last weekend, 6188 finishers, 65% male, 35% female.  Not sure if that is typical but all races you go to have a much higher % male runners. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Miss Knees wrote (see)

Normally?....

...okay, or ever! But one day...

• Options

I thought it was roughly 70/30 normally and Ealing Half bucked the trend last year. Does seem a very high US Stat, maybe % of female starters who finished....but even then it's still really high over the male one and doesn't make sense. Anyway, women seem to be more involved in the UK now so that's a good thing in my book. 

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)
    Miss Knees wrote (see)

Normally?....

...okay, or ever! But one day...

One on the way after Reading Lit, even though you don't have to raceimage

• Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    I thought Higdon's stats were a bit odd, too... I think the point he was making was that females are more attracted to HMs over Full marathons. But I've never been in a race with more females unless you count the Race For Life!
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

And no doesn't bother me, in fact I actually feel better for completing a male dominated event such as Tough Guy or some hard run. Daft but it gives me a sense of being in a minority that I like. 

It doesn't bother me at all.  You should try bike events, there's NEVER a queue for the ladies image

• Options

LOL image I've got my first sprint tri this May. I think that will still have a queue, roight! Once I have done that I might convert to bike events....

• Options

Roight? I wasn't doing an Irish accent honest, I meant right, obviously.

• Options

Number of finishers from the biggest 5 US Half Marathons:

500 Festival - 16,774 female : 14,396 male

Country Music HM - 14,213 female : 8,117 male

Rock N Roll Arizona - 9,520 female : 6,180 male

Rock N Roll San Antonio - 10,124 female : 6391 male

Rock N Roll Las Vegas - 13,509 female : 8616 male

• Options

Tom good work on the stats, seems like our American friend really are different then