Mothers

It's Mother's Day on Sunday. I have a very strained relationship with mine. They don't sell a 'I wish you were a nicer person but I can't send you back and ask for a refund' card. Tell me about your mum. Are you going to spoil her rotten this weekend? If she's passed away, does this time of year make you sad? Or are you a mother expecting flowers and home made cards covered in Pritt stick, delivered with burnt toast to your bed on Sunday morning?

Comments

• If you are so embarrassed by your parents, why do you keep bringing them up ?
  • I think you'll find the title is tell me about YOURS.
  • But you always have to start with how bad yours is.......
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

My Mum was great.  Really great.  But this will the 20th Mothers' Day without her.   Long got over it, but I suppose it's a bit poignant that my little girl is about to see her very first Mothers' Day, and naturally, having grandparents around would have completed the picture. 

Sigh.

• my mum is great. she is wee. she is an artist. looks a bit like rod stewart. i can tell her anything.

• Dave, I haven't really been on here for a year. So how can I ALWAYS start?

I know you don't like me. I don't like YOU either.

Mostly because you have nothing to say. So pipe down.
  • I'm trying to imagine an ickle Rod Stewart artist! image
  • don't spoil my mother on mothers day now as its my day.so i will have breakfast in bed and thenn will dgo and do a 10 mile bike TT followed by a long ride home on the bike.....

I don't think its a time to spoil my mother ..spending time with her all year around is more important than buying flowers and chocolate because the industry thinks i should

• I don't like or dislike you... I have no real feelings either way..

If you haven't been here for a year, why open up with my mother is carp, make me feel worse by telling me how great yours are
  • My mum was amazing and I miss her every day.  I get a big knot in my stomach when I walk into a shop at this time of year and see all the cards/flowers/chocolates/etc.
    However, I am looking forward to the handmade gift which 4-year-old told me he has made - but he can't tell me what it is because it's a secret surprise.

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    I'm trying to imagine an ickle Rod Stewart artist! image

Dinky! image

sorry to hear your relationship with your mum is strained. It isn't uncommon. I think that's why I appreciate my mum being so patient with me. I know several people who weren't so lucky. I haven't ever felt pressured to successful etc (just as well!) but perhaps being the youngest helps there.

• We nearly lost mum last year (brain bleed and an anyuerism) so I'm all the more greatful to still have her about.  She turned 70 this year past...she's on a diet so no chocolates probably but definitely a big bunch of flowers.  image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

For many years I thought I was the only person who had a difficult relationship with her mother.

In the last few years I've realised that a lot of people do, and far worse than mine!

However, I will be cooking dinner for her (and my sister and her husband) on Sunday.  Can't say I'm looking forward to it much though.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I love my Mum. She's brilliant image

• My mum will be 87 this April, fit as a fiddle.  Shops for the old people in her sheltered housing image  She's my mum and I can't imagine not having her around

• I have to do the 'pretend I'm asleep' thing on Sunday while they make me breakfast in bed image

I love it! Now mine are older they actually DO choose their own presents and cards. I really don't need anything but I know they make the effort and that's what makes it special.

I have to buy Mr LB's mums card too! She finds Mothers Day extremely distressing as her mum passed away on it. Ever since we became parents, she's switched the focus onto us and bought US presents, saying 'you're the mum now'.

I still think its a nice thing to do to stop and remember mums but we need to remember that those who have lost theirs perhaps struggle with their loss a bit more at this time of year.
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Strangely my wife hated her Mum, she died last October, was a difficult time - we did go to the funeral more out of a sense of duty - we hadn't seen her for a couple of years and my wife hadn'tr spoken to her for nearly as long.  Just before she died she removed my Wife from her will, something her two brothers and half sister mada a great deal of - caused an upset - (I had the last laugh as I was able to tell her older brother who was the executor that the £15,000 shares he was talking about had been sold two years previously as she needed money to pay her ground rent etc at the retirement home - how did I know this - because I had heped her!!!!)  Funnily enough I miss her more than my wife does.

My Mum, 79 years old, she is beginning to get a bit confused but I love her to bits and we went to see her last Sunday -

• My Oma is 89 and she has pretty much dropped her marbles this year too Grendel. She could remember meeting Mr LB in finite detail 22 years ago the other day but looked at me, her own granddaughter and couldn't remember my name!

I'm not looking forward to getting old. image
  • I  think this will be my 11th non-mothers day.  It wasn't ever a big deal in our family once us children had grown up.  That said the first few years were hard from a rather jealous 'but everyone else has a mother...'

• It's just like Valentine's Day. Another chance to part you from your cash.

If Jr can't show me how much he appreciates what I do for him when I do it, then I don't wanna know. There shouldn't be a date in the diary for children to show how much they value their parents.

I had a bad relationship with my Mother and if what she did was happening today, I reckon my brother and I would have been taken into care due to child cruelty as I think there is a greater awareness of 'those things' now than there was 30-35 years ago.

The repercussions still permeate through the family even now, so no I don't miss her and don't mourn her passing
  • MY mum is completely bonkers - kind of from another planet.  However I love her dearly but maybe just can't spend too much time with her.  I know she often wonders where the hell she got me from but still loves me anyway.

• My mum died when I was 7. I dont miss her more on mothers day more than any other day. I would make an effort to spoil her if she was here.....

or maybe we wouldn't get on at all.

Who knows image

• My mother will be spoiling herself in Cuba for Mother's Day.

She's pleased not to be home because she's fallen out with my sister. Apparently her other daughter doesn't matter.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I get on with Mother of Muttley perfectly well. We talk by phone every couple of days and I'm heading down to see her next weekend.

Which is late for Mother's Day but just right for a favourite local half marathon; she understands image

As far as I'm concerned she can do anything she likes. If it weren't for her I wouldn't exist.

• I miss my mum all the time. She was great.
  • my mum left when i was 14, i went into care, lived with my estranged father a few months then left there a week after my 16th b'day. i don't see either of them out of choice 

this mothers day i am running my first 10k event, then being spoiled by my 2 daughters  who are 16 and 11

my mother had issues , but i learned how not to parent and love being a mum to my lil ladies , 

i don't miss her, its hard to miss something you didn't really have , even though she was there  - if that makes sense !

• You can certainly learn how to be a better parent from a bad childhood by NOT continuing the cycle Curlytwig. What happened to you sounds awful but it seems that you're getting it right with yours.

I kind of agree with Schmunks that it's a bit of a Clinton's day, but my kids DO need reminding to spoil me once in a while. image

• I won't get much becuase my kids have to get anything they want.......look for it , buy it, wrap it etc.........

don't see the point once they have passed a certain age for parents to buy for them......I am not my husbands mother........