Is this your 1st Marathon, no matter which one

Hi All,

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm excited and nervous about my first Marathon.

Am I training enough or too little? Should I be working on distance or times?

It's great having the VLM threads, but what about others that are not doing the VLM?

Are you picking up injurie? Or having one training session that goes great then the next day, you feel ow my god I'm not going to get round.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that come in here and chat about the up's and downs of your training.anyone doing other marathons as their first marathon.

Hope this comes across in the right way?

Comments

• Hi, newbie to running and in 30 weeks will be running Baxters Loch Ness Marathon. 30 weeks seems an age but have just started base training to try and build some endurance/stamina before starting an 18 weeks training plan, will start it with 21 weeks to go to allow for injury/sicknes and if I don't have any (unlikely) will just repeat weeks14-16.

Currently aiming to follow a Hal Higdon Plan but will likely tweak it for hills (both up and down).

Am aiming for sub 5 hours so slow but think that will be fast enough for this 53yr olds first attempt image

• Hi, it's my first marathon too. I'm doing the VLM though.  I'm using the runners world "run less run faster" plan (catchy name hey?).  I've found it really helpful to have a program to follow with expected times.

No injuries yet (touch wood!)

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Jess Danpar. This thread is made for all,

Hoe traiining goes well.

Its your big day soon?

I will be watching on tv.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi  Andi  Mcgill

Wow that will be fantastic running round the Loch.

Yes your right. believe me 30 weeks creeps up on you thrn wham, its on top of you,

Wow thats a great time to aim for, lots of hills iis a good idea to aim for, and repeat a week if needed.

By the way I'm doing the Manchdester Marathon, April 28th

• I never had a target time for my first marathon - just ran it, enjoyed it as much as I could and got to the finish knowing I'd achieved something I'd never done before and taking twenty minutes less or more couldn't have added or taken away from that. My first marathon is still the most rewarding

==
    www.marathonrun.co.uk
    @sharkeyjon 

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

ChristchurchJon thats a dammed good comment, and for me I will try and keep your post in mind.

• Thanks. One of my blog posts looks at this subject in more detail if you're interested.

http://www.marathonrun.co.uk/marathon-training-advice/should-novice-runners-predict-a-target-marathon-time/

I think it can sometimes be too easy for seasoned marathon runners to forget how hard the first marathon can be and after subsequent improvements, lose track of what an achievement it is.

==
    www.marathonrun.co.uk
    @sharkeyjon

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have just read your blog, its got me really thinking about concentrating on the distance first, and worry about times on another marathon.

• I've run quite a few half marathons and am a regular runner and I find it helps me to train if I have something to aim for and a program to follow.  That said the actual time I get isn't that important, I just want to make sure I'm fit enough to finish on the day image

• Nice idea for a thread. I've run one half marathon (Paris 2012) and hoping to complete my first full in Krak??w on April 28. Have had some pains along the way, but nothing too crazy. My right knee is a bit dodgy at the moment, trying t okeep stretching, icing and not missing runs. Had a 14 miler yesterday which was one of my best runs so far.

I'm trying not to aim for a time, but my competitive side has a few numbers in mind!
  • Hi all, currently trg for the Edinburgh marathon in May, have been running on/off for 30 years but my farthest has always been a half best time last year was 1hr 55.. 

2 weeks ago i did 13 miles at 2hr 09 and was happy but at the end i thought no way could i do another 13 on top, However Sunday 03/03 did 16 miles at 2 hr 47 but at the end thought another 10 on top will be a big ask..

Can't wait for the next increase in a couple of weeks

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry for not being in, I was a little tied up.

Jess Dampar, from what people are saying is some peoples share  your sentiments. I feel that some people where time is important in all apsects forget that sometimes its okay to just switch off and concentrate  on you.

Hi Russelley, injuries prop up all the time with running, stretching is the key, yet I don't do it anywhere near enough.Wow the Paris half marathon, I bet that was ace? Krak which marathon is that. I'm doing the Manchester Marathon on April 28th. Like you I'm doinng my first 14 mile Thursday. I will jog the 7 miles out then jog walk  the way back.

Hi duncan forteath There pretty good times, I did 12 a couple of weeks back in about 3 hours, but I justt want to get round the marathon this time lol. I leave in part of the Yorkshire Dales, I can't escape the hills, but is good  for training, yet I try hard to work on the distance, not time, because of the trainiiing. It certainly grows on some people going further and or faster.

Hope everyones training is gong well?

•   Hi everyone,

I'm also training for my first marathon - Madrid, April 28 - and following a Hal Higdon plan. I'm eleven weeks in, did my first half-marathon three weeks ago, and have been seriously struggling ever since.  I've just given myself five days rest, so we'll see how things go from here ...

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Perezoso, your doing the right thing, listenning to how you feel. Its always hard when you reacha new distance.

I had a disastrous 9.5 miles last Saturday. I left it till the Monday, and did a great 4 miles, I felt refreshed doing a much shorter but faster run.

• sinbad113 wrote (see)

Hi Russelley, injuries prop up all the time with running, stretching is the key, yet I don't do it anywhere near enough.Wow the Paris half marathon, I bet that was ace? Krak which marathon is that. I'm doing the Manchester Marathon on April 28th. Like you I'm doinng my first 14 mile Thursday. I will jog the 7 miles out then jog walk  the way back.

Silly forum doesn't live the 'o', it's Krakow, Poland. I'm Scottish, but living in Poland for work at the moment. After my great 14 miler, had a disastorous 4, where I got chased by a (pretty aggresive looking!) dog and fell. Cuts on my arms, knee, hip and back. My hip is a little painful, hoping it won't have any effect on my running; will find out when I go out tomorrow...

How did your 14-miler go?

• Sorry, put my reply in the quote above, and can't edit... Oops. You get the idea I hope image

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Russelly. I didn't get out to do my 14 miler, I only managed to 5k done on the treadmill. I will try and manage it by Sunday.

Ar I see Krakow Poland, it's one place  would never think of doing a marathon. Yet I guess it makes sense for you living there at the moment,

Sorry to hear about the dog attack, dog bites can be painful, but a bit of history and an event to recall to other people.

Hope it heals quickly.

• Hi All,

I started running 12 months ago and last weekend did my first Half Marathon at the Adidas Silverstone Half Marathon and came home in 2hrs 2mins, I was very pleased with that time as I'm 54 yrs old and not ran a race since at school. I went back out training last night after 4 days rest and felt really strong which i was pleased with. I'm now trying to find my next race but not sure which one yet.

• Excellent result Paul! Next target should be to shave that 2 minutes off your PBimage

Am very similar to you and been on/off running for a little over a year (more off than on though) and turn 54 before my first Marathon in September.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Paul Clarke 46 brilliant result.  Good news about the recovery time as well.

Hi Andi McGill 2 Age has been proven time after time that its all in the mind. Great going gents, your putting myself a target to aim for.

I didn't get out for my 14 miler today, didn't get a good nights sleep. I will try again in the morning.

Have a pleasent evenning people.

• Hi All,

Andi good luck with the mararthon in September, Iv'e just signed up to do the Chester Half Marathon in May, I'm hoping to do it in under 2 hours. I was out this morning doing my 7 miles route and shaved 2 mins off so happy with that, just working on my pace now.

• Sinbad, am under the impression longer distances (tend) to be easier as you get older and naturally lose pace? (there are of course lots of fast older runners).

Txs Paul and good luck with the May HM - I almost did the Chester Walls Run at Christmas as I was nearby but good cheeer & food got in the way of thatimage

Have the dreaded flu at the moment so no running for a couple of days image

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm doing my first marathon in Manchester on 28 April.  Have just done 18 miles this morning (the furthest I've ever run) and am feeling good but aching legs of course!.  Seems to all be going to plan, I've 2 x 20 milers to do before tapering for 3 weeks before.  There's just so much info, and alot conflicting, it's hard to decide what to do.  Pacing is bothering me a little.  I did 3 x halfs last year and my best time was 1:46.  I was kind of hoping for around 4 hours at Manchester but how do you know you can actually run for 26 miles at 9 minute miles?  My run this morning was average 10:44 with the last mile 9:48.  Worried about going off too fast and not being able to keep up with it.  Exciting though, but scarey don't you think?

• Sallymax wrote (see)

Hi all, I'm doing my first marathon in Manchester on 28 April.  Have just done 18 miles this morning (the furthest I've ever run) and am feeling good but aching legs of course!.  Seems to all be going to plan, I've 2 x 20 milers to do before tapering for 3 weeks before.  There's just so much info, and alot conflicting, it's hard to decide what to do.  Pacing is bothering me a little.  I did 3 x halfs last year and my best time was 1:46.  I was kind of hoping for around 4 hours at Manchester but how do you know you can actually run for 26 miles at 9 minute miles?  My run this morning was average 10:44 with the last mile 9:48.  Worried about going off too fast and not being able to keep up with it.  Exciting though, but scarey don't you think?

Nice work! The advice I've read which makes most sense to me is to start slow: if you're dying you can stay slow and finishl if you've still got a lot of energy then start upping the pace a fair way through (maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of the way). 1:46 is a cracking half time, by the way image

I managed a 16 miler today (longest run of my life so far!). Last two or three were a fair struggle. The thought of doing 10 more in 7 weeks is very scary, but it is 'to plan'!

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi A|ll,

Paul Clarke 46 good going, one run at a time.

Andi McGill glad you enjoyed the food and beer, there's always next year. I will bear in mind your post about distance.

Very scary Sallymax I'm doing the Manchester Marathon to. Your doing a lot better than me, it took me 5 hurs to do just 15 miles. Yet as one person has said in here, try not to worry about time, its about finishing the Marathon and having achieve something that not many people wll do in our lifetime. Good running though, I'm impressed.

Russelley, I agree, I think Sallymax has worked hard and shows in their time. I agree with you, I hope, I my body, mind and big occassion will let me start slow. But my times are averaging 15 minutes to 20 minuetes, I just want to get round this first one. Great run with getting the 16 mile in, thats an achievement in itsself.

Enjoy mothes day everyone.

• Hi All, 

I am doing my first marathon in October, a long way off I know but im also starting to do preconditioning training now and just get time on my feet and build on the fitness base I built after doing 2 halves last october. 

Did 6 miles last weekend and going out again today for another run, there, now its been said in public I cant get out of it.

I am like a lot of you and just want to finish but the secret competitor in me wants to get a reasonable time. 

Good luck to everyone

• sinbad113 wrote (see)

Hi A|ll,

Paul Clarke 46 good going, one run at a time.

Andi McGill glad you enjoyed the food and beer, there's always next year. I will bear in mind your post about distance.

Very scary Sallymax I'm doing the Manchester Marathon to. Your doing a lot better than me, it took me 5 hurs to do just 15 miles. Yet as one person has said in here, try not to worry about time, its about finishing the Marathon and having achieve something that not many people wll do in our lifetime. Good running though, I'm impressed.

Russelley, I agree, I think Sallymax has worked hard and shows in their time. I agree with you, I hope, I my body, mind and big occassion will let me start slow. But my times are averaging 15 minutes to 20 minuetes, I just want to get round this first one. Great run with getting the 16 mile in, thats an achievement in itsself.

Enjoy mothes day everyone.

Slow and steady definitely wins the race. DId you manage your long run?

Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

Hi All, 

I am doing my first marathon in October, a long way off I know but im also starting to do preconditioning training now and just get time on my feet and build on the fitness base I built after doing 2 halves last october. 

Did 6 miles last weekend and going out again today for another run, there, now its been said in public I cant get out of it.

I am like a lot of you and just want to finish but the secret competitor in me wants to get a reasonable time. 

Good luck to everyone

Good to start early! I'm trying really hard to just focus on finishing and not on a time, but with a few mates who did London last year I'd love to beat at least one of them. But I'm trying to run my race and care only about finishing...

I've only told a few people, mostly because I told a lot of people I was running Edinburgh last year, and knee problems meant I couldn't (didn't get anywhere near this far in the training though). I'll probably come clean to the world after my last LSR.

•   Hi all,

Congratulations to everyone who completed their longs runs today. I was pleased to see that there are several people here who are running marathons on April 28. Me too! I've just posted a report of today's run over in my diary thread, and I'm currently nursing my stiff legs with a nice hot cup of tea.

I noticed this comment from Ksizzlepod:

Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

I completely empathise with this, but I'm slowly discovering that sometimes the mind is more willing than the flesh. Slow and steady - say it like a mantra - slow and steady and we all be fine image.

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    I was planning to do Dublin as my first marathon last year and was pretty well trained (24mile run two weeks before) and then I injured my ankle.....

Still waiting to do my first (and last) but not sure which to do. I was half thinking of Manchester as its my place of birth (think there's a blue plaque there somewhere!) but as I don't live in the UK anymore I may just find a more local one here in Ireland
  • Good evening everyone,

It's good to see so many people out there pounding the pavements and running marathons. I'm getting in some half marathons then I'm hoping to run the Chester full marathon in Oct, just hope all the training goes to plan.