Bacon, or death?

My new blog post on the research published today linking processed meat with premature death.

Bacon or death?

Comments

• I love Bacon, Salami, pastrami, sausage, ham, black pudding, you name it, if it's largely composed of bits of animal and too many nitrates, I'm there.

It's worth it. The additional risk of death is I imagine substantially less than that of riding a motorbike, probably less than riding a horse as well, so I'll just not ride a motorbike or a horse and tuck into some good tasty food instead.

• Am I being thick? How is bacon "processed". Isn't it just thinly sliced dead pig?
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

I thought I was being thick but saw a dietician yesterday say that they don't really know for sure what the real cause is. 

And as the bacon question, bacon is processed with salt (plus other possible processes) She intimated that there is a difference between bacon that was bought 'loose' from the butchers - and bacon that comes pre-packed. Unfortunately, they barely discussed that interesting point. I think the words she used were "loose bacon is a different story", without expanding.

Is it the plastic packaging? Is it that the bacon in packaging (which does have a very long sell-by date) tends to be 'cheaper' and more processed? More water added etc.

• Ye can take our lives, BUT YE CANNA TAKE OUR BACON!
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

My new blog post on the research published today linking processed meat with premature death.

Bacon or death?

I'm confused by the title.  Isn't the choice actually between  "no bacon or death"?  

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Life is too short not to eat bacon butties.

• I love sausage and I'm not about to give it up in a hurry image

• Death is compulsory - Bacon is very much a plus.
  • PSC wrote (see)
    Am I being thick? How is bacon "processed". Isn't it just thinly sliced dead pig?

Bacon is first slated or Brined with added sugar, then cured to preserve, it is then injected with as much water (and preservative) as the cured meat can take to increase weight. Watch the white slime that comes from processed bacon as it cooks

• EKGO wrote (see)
    PSC wrote (see)
    Am I being thick? How is bacon "processed". Isn't it just thinly sliced dead pig?

Bacon is first slated or Brined with added sugar, then cured to preserve, it is then injected with as much water (and preservative) as the cured meat can take to increase weight. Watch the white slime that comes from processed bacon as it cooks

that's assuming of course that you buy cheap supermarket bacon - "natural" bacon (as in only salted) stays firm when cooked and doesn't leach water

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Muttley wrote (see)

Absolutely correct.

I can't believe that an occasional bacon sarnie is going to shorten my life.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

I love sausage and I'm not about to give it up in a hurry image

Yes, but we're talking about food here.  image

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

Everything in moderation. Too much of most things is bad news. Enjoy.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)
    Muttley wrote (see)

Absolutely correct.

I can't believe that an occasional bacon sarnie is going to shorten my life.

Funny...  but this is the sort of reaction people had when the first studies showed that smoking was linked to cancer and death.  At that time, I guess a lot of people had no idea that smoking was really bad...  and a lot more knew that smoking was probably not ideal... but no big deal.

Just like now.  People sort of know that sausages and pies are not ideal...  but hey, what harm can they really do?

The things that sets this apart from most stories like this is that the consequences are massive - and that the stats are based on a massive sample of nearly HALF A MILLION people.

This could prove to be a seminal study.

• Well if you're going to make that comparison then an occasional cigarette wouldn't make that much difference to your health either.

At the end of the day it all depends on the amount you consume.

As Martenkay says - everything in moderation.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

If I ate a bacon sandwich every day, I would agree that it could be harmful. 

I eat one maybe twice a month, so if bacon is harmful, two or three rashers once a fortnight isn't likely to be doing me much harm.  

I rarely eat any other kind of processed meat.

If you smoked one cigarette a fortnight, I doubt if you'd come to much harm.

• I tend to buy a packet of bacon about once every three or four months and then snarf the lot over two or three days. 

I'm a binge baconer! image 

• "This could prove to be a seminal study."

you're probably not far wrong but the biggest problem with population studies is translating that info into what it actually means at an individual level as we are all genetically different and have different lifetyles

so, one person could happily scoff a fry up and smoke a packet of fags every day yet live beyond 100

or vegans who have never smoked dying of lung cancer in their 50's

take the info on board, decide what you want to do with it, and then live your life as best you can

bacon butty anyone??  image

• Ketchup and mayo please FB image

• Hmmm just had bacon, sausage, black pudding, haggis, fried egg on a opulent of slices of white bread toast

Do you think I will survive long enough to do this marathon ?
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

There's a caff on one of my bike routes where you can get a great bacon buttie, big mug of tea, and change from three quid 

imageimage

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'll be having a large bacon roll in about an hour's time.

🙂

• Run Wales wrote (see)
    sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

Bacon or death?

I'm confused by the title.  Isn't the choice actually between  "no bacon or death"?  

I think it's a reference to the Eddie Izzard's "cake or death":

• I made my own corned beef once (salt beef, proper tasty melt in the mouth, not the 'orrible grainy cheap stuff we're accustomed to calling corned beef). Basically consisted of sitting a great big lump of brisket in brine for ages, then cooking it for ages. It was awesome, I ate about a pound of it on one sandwich. But then I was a fat bastard.

Think Katz' deli.

Beats the shit out of a chicken salad I'll tell you.

Couldn't get it this pink though as I couldn't get hold of the proper curing salt, which on the bright side is probably the bit that kills you.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/home_cured_corned_beef/

• I usually have a BLT sandwich for lunch, although I rarely eat red meat other than that (mostly eat chicken or fish). Think I'll pull it apart today and see how much bacon is actually in there, maybe have them a bit less often...

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Drooling over Eddie ? Scream

Goodness me no - cross post - I was merely coveting your breakfast Dave image

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I've done races before fuelled by bacon. And I do like a nice bit of sausage image In fact, I had bangers and mash for dinner last night.

White bread and bacon, no sauce or butter. Maybe a bit of sliced tomato *drools*