wide toe box

Hi. i'm looking for a female running shoe - neutral - which has a wide shoe box. have tried running in Salomon and Nike Pegasus but still getting black toe nails. i have been told the Pegasus i'm running in are too big so could that be the problem? i usually buy size 40 in running shoes but bought them in 41 to make up for the toe space! perhaps i exagerated it a bit!

Comments

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

I am also neutral and have worn Asics Cumulus 13 for years.  But I also have been getting sore / swollen toes and so have been trying out the Brooks Pure Drift minimal, and they've got a very wide shoe box.  Great so far and I transitioned slowly, starting with shorter runs.  

• I have new balance 1080 (or whatever the current incarnation is - 1080v2 or something).    I get the wide fit (or sometimes buy the men's shoe but their normal size which I think is equivalent to women's wide fit).  I got these to solve problem toes, and to accommodate orthotics.  Love them image

Have you had advice on fitting/suitable shoe from a running shoe shop?

• I buy wide fit New Balance. They've been great so far. I'm also currently wearing Brooks Glycerin in half a size bigger than I would usually wear and they've been fine too.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

In my experience you just have to try as many pairs of shoes on as you can until you find something that fits. It's often hit or miss and can be expensive if you make a mistake and buy a pair that don't fit.

Check which shoes you can take the insoles out of while in the shop as well.

I'm not a fan of nike but I have found that their shoes do have a wide toe box. I'm going to try inov8's as they have a range with a wide toe box. Asics have a range of wider fittings.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Saucony generally have a wide fit - I have very wide feet and they suit me very well.  I was in Stabils but I'm in the process of switching to Guides which are neutral.  BUT this doesn't mean they will suit you.  As others have said, you need to try as many pairs as you can until you find the right ones - don't be afraid to go up a size either.  My shoe size is 6, I run in 6.5 stabils and 7 in the guides.

• i don't want to buy a 'wide' shoe since i do not have wide feet. i have very long narrow feet actually. i just have very long second and third toes, hence toe nails becoming black. Also problem with trying on different shoes as possible - i live on a tiny island which only has Adidas and Nike! i travel to the bigger island and maybe you'll find two types of Asics/Salamon/Saucony and THAT'S IT! now you sense my frustration image have bought 3 pairs of shoes so far - all of them misses! first one too small, second one too big, third one a trail shoe which is just too chunky for me. plus was told to use orthotics which i have now taken out since i do not need them.