Just a nother newbie

Hi all,

Right, this year is the year of doing a Triathlon for me. However I keep bottling it because I dont want to make a fool of myself.

Anyway there is a nice sprint Tri In Sherborne in August which I think I can crack.

I however have some very green questions.

Can you only use front crawl for the swim?

Am I going to hold anybody up swimming IE how is the swim set out usually?

What on earth would I wear to compete? Are the all in ones necessary? If not what are the alternatives?

Plus I have a very cheap road bike I am just worried I am going to look a bit daft compared to 1000£ bikes etc

I just want to complete a Tri there is no way I will compete with the top guys etc

Any thoughts much appreciated

Comments

• Can you only use front crawl for the swim? Apart from back stroke - anything goes.

Am I going to hold anybody up swimming IE how is the swim set out usually? Sounds like open water - start at the back or expect to be swam over.

What on earth would I wear to compete? Are the all in ones necessary? If not what are the alternatives? Wetsuit if outside ? Then you can change if you want - or pick up a tri suit - its up to you.

Plus I have a very cheap road bike I am just worried I am going to look a bit daft compared to 1000?? bikes etc ??1000 bikes look cheap ! But really - dont worry - just tell yourself how much faster you'd have been if only you'd bought that 6k Cervelo. So long as the bike is safe and roadworthy - nobody cares.
  • +1 with cougs

as for kit, for my 1st tri I wore a pair of lycra running shorts for the swim (sea - was warm enough for no wetsuit which was good as I didn't have one!) and then put a running vest on in transition.  did for me OK

if it's a pool swim, you can swim in swim trunks and then change in transition - but using lycra shorts (padded or unpadded) makes it easier.

and don't fret if you're a breaststroker - I've been beaten by one in a race swim!!  but generally crawl is the fastest stroke so if you get hooked, learn it!

• On longer races some people prefer 2-piece. This makes it easier if you need to use a portaloo etc

also if racing long distance ... it comes down to what your comfortable in .... there's little worst than have a long way to go when you are not comfortable

Or if it is really hot / some people like to put fresh top on (can be refreshing) for the run where tight areo fit is not as important

• +1 with WW - it's personal choice

you are allowed to swim in a 2 piece outfit (shorts and top) but many prefer the freedom of just wearing the lower half in the swim and then put the top on in transition - although most struggle with this when they have a wet body!

• Thanks for all the info.

I'm just trying to keep costs down really. If I like it then you spend a few more quid etc.

So first stage I think is 400m pool swim. If I went down the lycra running shorts route for instance would I continue to wear them  for the bike ride I think its only 20k and whack a Vest on for that? Then coming to the run I suppose I change my cycling shoes over to running shoes and off I go? I think its only a 6K run

• DF3

Trisuit issues - on longer races you may need to stop and it takes longer to get this off than just whipping off your shorts.

Some people find them very revealing and just cannot stand the thought of wandering around in a one-piece.   I have an ongoing argument with one lady triathlete who thinks they are the devil's work but personally I think they are great and very forgiving of a less than perfect figure.

• As an occasional triathlete, who is loath to spend money on things that I only use occasionally, I have a pair of tri-shorts, which are like lycra cycling shorts, but with thin, quick drying padding.

I swim in these, with no top, then pull on a running vest before I get on the bike.  I choose my loosest vest as they are quite tricky to wriggle into when you are wet.

I also wear socks for the bike & run stage, but this is personal preference.

• It all depends on the length of the race..

Sprint or Oly. I wear a tri suit and no socks

HIM I wear tri shorts and Monaco

IM I wear speedos under my wetsuit, change to bike shorts and bike top, and then run shorts and run top both bike & run with socks

All about comfort for the longer distance
  • Putting a top on when youve been in the water is a bugger. I'd go one piece just to avoid that.

Something like this is only ??30 or so - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005QP28J0/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9582564309&ref=asc_df_B005QP28J0

You can always wear it as a base layer for going out cycling after.

Or Eurovision parties. Whatever.
  • running tops are also looser and can cause a bit of drag on the bike

• All Great stuff

Lou I think I prefer that option to be fair. Ill have a look for some cheapy shorts. Just going to be weird cycling with a soggy Ar** image

• You really don't notice it. Or maybe I spend so long in T1 that I've dried out ?
  • Do Tri shorts come with padding

• Ive need to use a portaloo in all distances I've raced ... you never know when it may hit

But a TRI suit is a simple oprion and there are pleant inexpensive options out there ... even Aldi seen to sell them now and then

TTri shorts have some padding but it is much thinner than cycling short as they are designed to be able to swim and run in as well as cycle

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    It all depends on the length of the race..

Sprint or Oly. I wear a tri suit and no socks

HIM I wear tri shorts and Monaco

IM I wear speedos under my wetsuit, change to bike shorts and bike top, and then run shorts and run top both bike & run with socks

All about comfort for the longer distance

More costume changes than a Janet Jackson gig.  Hope you don't 'accidentally' expose yourself on the way through. 

TheVicar wrote (see)

All Great stuff

Lou I think I prefer that option to be fair. Ill have a look for some cheapy shorts. Just going to be weird cycling with a soggy Ar** image

Last sprint I did it was pissing down.  Getting wet was the least of my worries.

• Very true lol.

Chatting with everybody has put me at ease a bit. Last thing to worry about is the cycling because the rules are different to a normal bike race?

• TheVicar wrote (see)

Very true lol.

Chatting with everybody has put me at ease a bit. Last thing to worry about is the cycling because the rules are different to a normal bike race?

Unless you're an elite triathlete competing on the ITU circuit all tri bike legs are non-drafting and you can get DQ'd if caught drafting - warning for 1st offence, DQ after 2nd (some races will just DQ).  Essentially you need to keep outside a 7m box to avoid drafting - 7m is measured from the wheel front of the bike ahead to the rear of yours (7m is about the length of a long wheelbase Transit for reference).  and that goes up to 10m in long distance racing

• You usually get a big lecture at the start about the drafting -and then woe betide anyone who gets caught (or goes through a red light as happened to one of my club mates - got DQ'd from a middle distance tri)

• jumping a red light - or any other road traffic violation - is a straight DQ.   no questions or appeals

• Why would I expose myself Lou ?
  • Reference to Janet Jackson's controversial superbowl performance. Nothing personal.
  • No costume changes for a sprint or Olympic...

None for a HIM just the addition of socks

And ok a change for a full IM....

So still not sure what you meant

I was trying to give DF3 a steer on the type of race may or may not require different kit...

Perhaps I shouldn't have bothered
  • Hi again

I didn't want to start a new thread but has anybody ever gone through these?

http://freakevents.co.uk/events/Millfield-Triathlon-25-May-2013/

or done the event itself. I just thought the really easy one would be a good start for me before perhaps doing the slightly longer Sherborne event. Being new to Tri's I dont recognise many of the event planners. Of course finally do you still get your medal at the end of a Tri. I'm a bit of a mercenary when it comes to things like this image

• Take a look at the naked strength events, i did the Bath Multisport super sprint triathlon last september. It was my first attempt so i went for the shortest possible incase i hated it, infact it was brilliant and i am signed up for 2 more this year.

They are designed as real novice events, so if you make a mistake you are just helped to do things right. I saw loads of people getting on or off their bikes the wrong side of the mount/dismount line but there's no disqualification the marshall just call out to you to tell you what your doing wrong. A huge range of outfits on show from tri suits, to a lady in a one piece swimsuit which she did the whole thing in with nothing else not even a tshirt. (brave lady!) There was also a massive range of bikes, loads of mountain bikes and i'm sure i saw a basket going around the bike leg.

Well worth a look if you want to try a super sprint tri first, now i'm off to look at the Sherborne one you mention as i only live down the road and hadn't seen this advertised.