Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bit quiet here today.  We need one of RicF's anecdotes, maybe about the time in the late 80s he helped Eamonn Martin reverse over a fatally injured puffin in a B&B car park in Wales, in front of a party of weeping schoolchildren.  Or maybe the time in 1982 he saw Dave Moorcroft stuffing a half-inflated sex doll into a suitcase at Leicester Fosse services.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

imageimageimage

You kill me Dachsy!

F-off today, which just involves 9M on the bike, 64x25m in the pool and a core session with beer in front of the telly tonight!

Some doubt over weekend's plans - sick child at home and with the Mrs in Bristol tomorrow means long run may be  moved to Sunday, thus scuppering the intervals, knocking back Monday's double and jeopardising a Friday long run next week - grrrr!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

f-off for me aswell

for those with nothing to do tomorrow afternoon dont forget to tune into skysports 3 at 2.30pm (although coverage starts at 11am with the juniors) to catch a live glimpse of 4 thread members in the inter-counties xc and either desperately trying not to get lapped or qualifying for the World XC champs in Poland.  Hmmm which will it be image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, that doesn't sound like a rest day to me, rest means rest!

Gloriously wet session at the track, felt quite alive!

Session was 4x1200, aiming for 400 at 10k,5k,3k pace off 2min jog recoveries (400metre)

Came out pretty fine, apart from one aberration on the 10k lap of rep 2, where clearly I'd been savouring the jog pace too much, and didn't lock back onto 10k pace properly. On rep 4, laps 1 and 2 should really have been a second slower and a second faster respectively, but in soaking rain happy with that. But generally the consistency, and the increase in pace lap to lap that was the mission.

as always I felt the session was well prescribed, as my the end of lap 3 on rep 4 i knew i was pushing for the line!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, I swam yesterday.  Only the second time doing proper lengths since I was a kid.  I was pleased with 42 lengths (25m pool), and have had all kinds of aches in odd places since (hand? neck?).  It's a bit of an eye-opener being slower than most people in the pool though, will have to get used to that!

Dean et al - I don't have Sky Sports, but I shall be cheering you on in spirit.  Good luck to all, sure you will all do the thread proud.  Dean, will it be you running this time, or can we expect David Richardson again?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Relative rest SG - all easy on the legs and back!

Good session that one - some sharp pacing.

Hope I can get Skysports 3 Dean!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Sky sports 3 will be recorded as I may well be out. Good luck!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - this weekend i will be towards the back of the feild so they are welcome to give this one to David on Po10. 

i dread to think how few laps i could swim nowadays. 42 sounds alot!

sg - nice consistancy there

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Nice sesh SG - nothing like a workout in the rain to put you in touch with nature too!

Good luck to the intercounty crew. Got one of my training partners running too. Just a shame I don't have any of that fancy TV to watch it on!

Good luck to Stevie too at Trafford! Hope the taper has gone well after all those hard weeks. You're on form fella so go give it the big 'un! Matt - i thought you were racing this too no?

Anyways, lots of races across the board so looking forward to all the reports on Monday

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm racing at Trafford.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sounds like quite a big weekend of racing then. TV races are always terrific to be part of. I say "always", I've experienced it once...Great South run last October!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Just looked at the start list and there's only two people from my club running.

Me and Ron Hill. Not bad company I suppose. image
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Good luck to you too then Matt... We're expecting big things! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

I think initially there was a hint of adrenaline if there was potential for an abrasive response to one of my posts.

But after a while I just tried to ensure I didn't put myself too far out on a limb. 

I've only really been disappointed at things on the forum.

I've stopped contributing to one thread lately due to differences in attitude. 

In case Ric means us lot, stop teasing him about his anecdotes image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

im sure Ric would see the funny side to dachs post

• Cracking session, hard to up the pace like that, especially into rep 4. 3k pace is most unpleasant. Good luck all that are racing, hopefully will be watching it.

Nice rest day today, easy 3.5 with strides tomorrow.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dachs , must admit I, m not a big fan of swimming-one of those things you feel better having done rather than doing!

It was my first swim for a month, so was hard work!

Ric has a good sense of humour so I wouldn't, t worry. Where are you though Ric?

Good luck to all those racing tomorrow-looking forward to the reports...
  • He was last seen in the triathlon forum...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
    He was last seen in the triathlon forum...

some kind of mid life crisis? No offence Iron image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Right its crisis time. Had a sports massage today. They said they'd go easy as it was a clubmate who knew I was racing on Sunday. Just went for a really slow trot with my dog and got a searing pain in the top of my foot/ankle at 2.5 miles.

Cant walk without limping at the min. Hoping its just a niggle or nerve or something that will clear. Fuming at the min with myself.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i know they say it'll be tight after a massage, but "searing" sounds pretty bad! Hopefully you'll wake up tomorrow and it'll have eased...can't be anything too bad from a massage if it was fine before?

• Just looked on Radio Times for the details of the XC.

Generic image beign used with no mud so you boys shoudl be OK.

http://static.radiotimes.com.edgesuite.net/pa/27/32/webANXcrosscountryrun.jpg

6x800 at lunch came out at 2:55, 2:51, 2:55, 2:55, 2:56, 2:55 so the slowest today was as fast as last week's fastest and overall about 17 seconds faster so over 5 seconds a mile.

SG, you want to come up to me, do a 12 mile loop together and then head back for your 14?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, it's a 2miler up to you, so it'd have to be a 10mile loop!

• SG, what about you come up to me and we do a loop down Ragmans Lane, Marlow Bottom and onto Wycombe Half course then back towards you and I finish the loop back up Marlow Hill.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/3020797

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i can't seem to work that map too well, but if me to you, and following that route ends me at 14 near my place it sounds good image

Where's the best place to meet? Around 7.15 sounds about right for me to cover 2miles, that early, up that hill

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Matt - lots of ice and rest. I get pain In my ankles sometimes like that but it's normally due to me sitting in an awkward position. It's passes by morning. Fingers crossed
  • Sounds good, see you at 7:15 at the Shell petrol statoin, top of the hill.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

All this "to me", "to you" makes you two sound like the chuckle brothers image

Matt - sounds like a trapped nerve probably, if there's no specific cause other than a sports massge. Should be gone by the morning....

Good to see the pace going up Philip - all moving in the right direction. Foot OK afterward?

• The Bus wrote (see)

Good to see the pace going up Philip - all moving in the right direction. Foot OK afterward?

Foot wise all things seem OK. I realistically restarted runing on 21st Jan with a 20 miles week, next week was 27 and then the next four weeks totalled 190 so 47.5 average. I am really starting to see that work in those 4 weeks start to pay dividends so need to have a serious look at the club champs dates and sort out a set of events I can run and want to run. 14 events and Maidenhead 10 is the 4th and I have 1 done as a poor fallback so that leaves me to try and get a good 7 from 10 and I am in the USA for 1 so that is 7 from 9 and Cabbage Patch is a week before my marathon so 7 from 8 wihch may mean doing 8 and picking the best 7.

Need to work out what SG means about Marlow 5. All I can find on the same day is Chieveley Chase and maybe SG wanst a win: under 6 miles and the winner is just inside  34 mins but the guy has a 70 min HM so can't be that! I am keen to run Marlow 5 to get a better time than last year and improve my v40 record before Guy Bowles turns 40 in September and takes it away from me. Our new guy who is V50 is a 2:16 marathon guy and big city winner so V50 records will be goen as well soon. did you seee Phil Parry, v50, 72:36 at Bath?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Still no different this morning. :-/ there's absolutely no ache or pain when It's not got any weight on it and only seems to hurt when in a certain positions mid stride. There's times when I can barely put any weight on it and others when it seems as though it could be fine.

Waiting on the physio ringing me this morning now and hopefully he might have some answers.