The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    Quick question Ady...how quickly did you get use to your new trainers? how many runs did you wear them for before spitfire?

I have worn mine twice now and they dont feel as comfy as my previous pair (the ones ive been doing most my miles in). I did 4m in them last week and 9.5m today but they seemed to make the bottom of my foot uncomfortable from about mile 5 today. Im not sure whether to leave them on one side for now and just wear my older trainers for london or whether to persevere.

Sam I hope you make a quick recovery

Haha......I think I'm the wrong person to ask this question to about wearing new trainers. I'm not very good at breaking them in gently at all. My last pair of new trainers I bought a couple of weeks ago I started using almost immediately. 

I spent an evening walking around in them, then the following day I ran 6 miles in them. I didn't have any issues so the day after that I ran my 18 mile run! This was the week before Spitfire, so I had another 20 odd miles in them before starting Spitfire.

Sarah put some felt along the inside of my left trainer at BC, due to my running technique, to help ease some of the pressure on my arch. She did make me promise not to wear this insole the following day for Spitfire, but I completely forgot about it and didn't have time to change the insole before having to run to the train station. Luckily it didn't give me any blisters or trouble.

I do find with my new stability trainers that my arch does ache more than when I was wearing neutral trainers. But this ache is so much easier to deal with than the knee pain I had!

If it was me I'd perservere, but there's no point continuing in a pair of trainers if it's hurting and affecting the quality of the session.

What time are you hoping to run the East Hull 20 in?

• cat.on.mat wrote (see)

I am really looking forward to VLM, and hope that the noise and the crowds will keep me going.  I have not asked my family to come and cheer me on at anything so far, but they are definitely coming to support for VLM.  I have a charity place, so they will be with all the other Anthony Nolan supporters.  [Sarah - I have 3 children, and have only just started running, so you needn't worry that you have to stop when kids arrive!]

Lots of people have said that I shouldn't really have a target for my first marathon, that just completing will be enough.  But I think I am too competitive for that!  I started off hoping to come in under 4 hours, then lost confidence  and thought it would be closer to 4:15.  But now I am wondering if 4 hours is possible,  If I can do 20 under 3 hours, that means I could do 10 min miles for the last 6, and squeak in under 4 hours.  Do you think that is too optimistic?   

I am also thinking of joining the RW pacing group - have you ever done that?

Hey cat.on.mat............that's great to be doing your first marathon for charity. You get so much more support doing it for such a great cause and it keeps you going when you start thinking why you're doing it. I did my first London Marathon for Save the Rhino and I found it so much better having the banter and conversation with the charity and other runners also doing it for the charity. I was a little nervous at the start, but there was a South African guy who was running it in the rhino suit. I asked him how he had prepared the night before and his response was, 2 large pizzas and a bottle of red wine. After that I thought my preperation had been Olympic standard in comparison!

/members/images/403074/Gallery/12-14-2008_006.JPG

I can't believe I ran it in normal trainers as well!

At Boot Camp on Saturday we were told that it's best to have three targets when racing - like a Gold, Silver and Bronze.......so you could have your Gold as sub 4 hours, Silver as Sub 4:15 and Bronze as maybe just a time you are happy with, knowing you've given it your all. Maybe this is what I should have done in my first marathon in London instead of putting all my eggs in one sub 4 hr basket (and crumbling to a 4:47 finish!).

To be honest though, having just ran 20 miles sub 3 hours, you are definitely in with a great shot of a sub 4 hour. Twice I've ran around 2hrs 56mins and 2hrs 58mins for 20 miles during a marathon and came home in 4hrs 02mins and 4hrs 04mins. I think my mistake for this was thinking that I could now do the last 6 miles in 10 minute miles. When I thought this I slowed down, thinking I had enough time to take it easier. I couldn't get going again once I did. So even though you have an hour to run the last 10km, I'd still push on as though you need to keep going at your current speed (if you know what I mean!). image

Personally though I think you're in with an excellent, excellent chance of a sub 4. I'd definitely have this as your main goal.

I'd also recommend trying to follow the pacers. I didn't do this and went out too fast and then struggled (the story of every marathon I've ran!). If you stick with the pacers, then it helps to regulate your speed. I'd definitely consider  doing this now, knowing my failures.

All the best!

• Congratulations on your promotion...what a fantastic week for you. I bet your run today was like walking on air...or even running on air, lol!

Since ive upped my milage im only getting to do my resistance training twice a week at the moment, but least im still getting it in. Ive been quite lucky because ive always done it 3 times a week for the last few years and ive stopped at particular weights as I just want to looked toned and not like a body builder. It means it doesnt really take much out of me when I do my weights so its not affecting my running.

I was thinking the same....hijack Minnis thread - although I have still been going on it when I can, but if you miss a day your need a few hours to catch back up!

Im glad that you think a three week taper sounds ok. I could imagine if I did anything more I would be chomping at the bit!

Sounds like you have been so lucky with your trainers...I think thats why im having doubts about mine. However they are the third pair ive had in the same make and model and the same orthotic...it must all be in my head!

I would probably aim for a similar time to you, maybe 8:20-8:30 for the first 10 miles and then 7:50 for the second 10 but im going to see how I feel on my long run this friday when I add some MP miles in.
  • Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Wednesday 6th March 2013

6:50am - Breakfast - Jordan's Country Crisp Chunky Nut cereals w/ semi-skimmed milk.

8:45am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

9:45am - Alpen granola bar, bottle of water

12:15pm - 5 mile run comfortable (see earlier for full description)

1:15pm - Lunch - Egg noodles with Salmon (leftover from yesterday's dinner), bottle of water

2:30pm - Cup of tea, Tangerine

4:00pm - Packet of Quavers (I know not quite as good as a banan!), Costa hot chocolate.

7:30pm - Dinner - Beans, 1 slice of toast, 1 egg, pint of squash

8:30pm - Yoghurt with a handful of nuts and berries, a couple of leftover Percy Pigs from Sundays race. Cup of tea.

9:30pm - Pint of squash

10:30pm - Glass of water

• Day 81 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (07/03/13)

Target: 5 x 1 mile at 6.55-7.05 pace with 2.5 minute recovery plus w-up/c-down (8.5 miles)

Actual: 5 x 1 mile at 6:55m/m - 7:05m/m with 2.5 minute recovery plus w/up and c/down - total of 8.74 miles in 1:12:57 @ 8:21m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 6:59m/m. 2nd @ 6:46m/m. 3rd @ 6:54m/m. 4th @ 6:49m/m. 5th mile @ 6:54m/m. 

I really hope that I continue to have the motivation to run speed and interval sessions once my Paris marathon training comes to an end. It's great having this variety mid week and it's hard to think that only 12 weeks ago, what I used to call speed training I would now call comfortable.

I actually haven't done mile intervals before. I've only ever done 400m and 800m. Today's session was asking for me to keep a pace for 5 miles very similar to what I ran my 5km Parkrun in. Once upon a time I'd be daunted at such a prospect, but nowadays I find I'm more confident and enjoy such challenges. This new found confidence is definitely down to the training plan.

As it only takes just over a mile to get to the 1 mile stretch of pavement I normally use for intervals, I decided to make the c/ down longer than the w/up. After injuring my quad the last time I was doing speed work I took the 1st mile interval steadier than what I normally would. Once I felt no twinge from my previous injury, I realised I could push myself a little harder.

I definitely think it would push me to keep this speed for a full 5 miles of constant running, but with the 2.5 minute rest in between each mile, the speed felt quite comfortable. For each mile I found myself looking down at my watch about halfway and seeing that I was running on average 20 secs per mile quicker than I needed to. This meant I could ease back in the second half of each mile, which was a nice feeling.

By the last mile, my legs were feeling heavier and I think if I had continued for several more mile reps then I would have started to struggle to keep up the same pace. All in all though I was really happy to have kept this pace going and constant for the duration of the mile reps.

The c/down, felt strange afterwards as the same speed as the w/up, mentally felt so much slower due to running the quicker miles beforehand. I think this good play a big role in the upcoming weeks before Paris if I get more good quality speed and interval sessions under my belt. As this would mean my marathon pace starting to feel more and more comfortable.

Now my injuries are out of the way (touch wood!) I'm finding myself wanting to run every day. I'll have itchy feet tomorrow on my cross-training day!

Here's my run from today: It's in two parts as I realised into my first mile interval that I'd set up my interval settings on my watch wrong, so had to start again once the first mile was over with!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/281544201

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/281544194

Congratulations on your promotion...what a fantastic week for you. I bet your run today was like walking on air...or even running on air, lol!

Since ive upped my milage im only getting to do my resistance training twice a week at the moment, but least im still getting it in. Ive been quite lucky because ive always done it 3 times a week for the last few years and ive stopped at particular weights as I just want to looked toned and not like a body builder. It means it doesnt really take much out of me when I do my weights so its not affecting my running.

I was thinking the same....hijack Minnis thread - although I have still been going on it when I can, but if you miss a day your need a few hours to catch back up!

Im glad that you think a three week taper sounds ok. I could imagine if I did anything more I would be chomping at the bit!

Sounds like you have been so lucky with your trainers...I think thats why im having doubts about mine. However they are the third pair ive had in the same make and model and the same orthotic...it must all be in my head!

I would probably aim for a similar time to you, maybe 8:20-8:30 for the first 10 miles and then 7:50 for the second 10 but im going to see how I feel on my long run this friday when I add some MP miles in.

Hey Sarah......I think your resistance training makes a big difference. Looking back on my training so far, I wish I had had the time to do more of this in the evenings. 

It's strange that you are having problems with your trainers when they are the same as you are use to wearing. I wonder why this is the case? Is it an updated model or exactly the same?

That sounds a very confident strategy for your 20 miler. Part of me wishes I'd have had the chance to run quicker at Spitfire. But I know it wouldn't have been for the best. I was feeling a little tired towards the end and I know if I had upped the pace for the first 10 miles, then the last 10 would have been more of a struggle. I'd have been really disappointed if I hadn't managed to keep marathon pace for all of the last 10 miles, so for confidence sake, it was the perfect strategy for me!

A day off work tomorrow and a day of cross-training. I might even treat myself to a lie in!image

• Shady_Ady wrote (see)
    EmmaC wrote (see)

Thank you Ruth!

I've fallen of the wagon a bit with my food - especially as I don't need all the calories as I'm not marathon training. Seeing you on here is a reminder to me to try and eat better!

How are you doing?

I don't think I'll ever be able to eat a piece of cake again or a packet of Quavers image without thinking "What would Ruth be saying now!". Ruth could keep me thin for years at this rate!

RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Sarah, regarding milkshakes you do need to be wary about calorie content and your energy budget (how much calories you can eat to maintain a heathy body composition balanced with racing weight). You weigh very little, so of less concern for you, but for Adrian I would not suggest he adds 500ml each day of  flavoured  milk (sorry for talking about you being your back Adrain!) everyday but a glass of around 200ml at lunch may be useful for Adrian whether from milk (lesser calories) or even a milk shake. However, 500ml of a milkshake post race or long runs is a great recovery drink for most but as a day to day drink just be wary of the added calories if need to watch their weight- it is all about balance.

Here are some examples of calories, carb and protein content:

• Pint of skimmed milk: 218kcal, 28g carbs and 19g protein
    • For goodness shake (500ml): 266-315kcal, 50g carbs & 17g protein
    • Sainsbury flavoured milk (500ml): 350kcal, 49g carbs & 19g protein
    • Frijj (500ml): 325kcal, 52g carbs, 18.5g protein
    • Nesquik power and 400ml skimmed milk: 171kcal, 50g carbs, 14g protein

Let me know if this makes sense!

I never realised Sainsbury's flavoured milk contained so many calories. I might shun their 2 for £2 in th future now then! I definitely think I need something extra at lunch now as my normal lunches just aren't enough.....and I don't want to resort to chocolate and crisps..............would a yoghurt be a good alternative to have as well?

Yoghurt or glass of 200ml skimmed milk a good choice!

•  Shady- Ady

Okay, have sort of made a decision for you about a restaurant the night before Marathon (6th) and in process of getting this booked. This is the one: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d3534218-Reviews-Il_Piccolo_Rifugio-Paris_Ile_de_France.html .

The problem this year is that the area you are staying in only has small eating places so sitting 17 was the problem so close to the hotel but this restaurant has suggested that we book it all out for private eating (it only sits 23 in total anyway) and because it has good reviews etc I just thought this was really going to be the best option. If you want to give me an idea of what you want/wish (perhaps we can wait a couple of weeks before doing this). I have email contact so we can do this but they have Pizzas and topping of your choice (so little or no cheese could be an option!), pasta and regular tomato sauces or other typical Italian dishes (although would advice no creamy sauces!) and also do rice options. I have suggested we book for 6.30pm.

The night before you are not likely to be eating until 9pm as you do not arrive in Paris until 6pm, then go straight to expo so I think best suggestion is to eat  at one of the two Italians only 200-400m form the hotel. I still need to confirm they will take the number we need etc so trying to do this today. These two restaurants are ranked lower than the above by trip advisor but still good reviews. I will send link once I know this is possible. Restaurant choices has been a little tricky this year partly as little website info on eating places in this area of Paris etc hence time this has taken and no menu available to give you links.

• Some information just to start you thinking/remind about race day (not sure you will thank me for that one!).

• The marathon starts at 8.45am. You are likely to be leaving hotel around 7am. So remember to pack a snack and choice of fluid in bag that you may be having in-between breakfast & race start. Check all belts/gels/ sweets again before you leave are in order.
    • Every 5km there will be bottles water and sponge station (may be useful towards end if hot). There is also dried fruit and fresh fruit at these stations but suggest you stick to your practiced plan.
    • At 22km (around 14miles) there is PowerAde available but only at his time. I would be happy if you wanted to mouth wash with this but probably nothing more unless you know for sure this won’t cause you stomach problems.

Just really trying to prepare you so can start to picture what race morning will be like.

Your weight loss has actually be text book perfect - gradual weight loss really means you are way more likely to keep this off. Just be wary of nut type muesli cereal although they can be healthy they are generally a nightmere for calories!!

• The trainers are the same make and model. I bought two pairs at the same time...which were identical to my previous pair. Im going to walk in them all weekend and see if that helps...if not least my current trainers feel ok.

Did you get your lie in today? image

I did 18 this morning, 8 at MP...fingers crossed that will prepare me ready for next sunday. Ive just been speaking to minni and she things 8:30+ for the first 10 miles and then MP (7:45-7:55) for the last 10 miles. I practiced my marathon day fuel strategy today...went surprising well, thanks to Ruth image

• Hi Ady

Hope this weekend's run goes well - glad you might have managed to get some company for it! I have only run 2.5 miles this week but am going to tackle the Grizzly and see what happens - my ankle/calf is feeling much better - and I never planned to really 'race' the Grizzly, just complete it as I hear it's pretty tough! Besides, we're going anyway as we have tagged on a few days holiday after, down in devon.

So I thought I'd better post the plan for the next 4 weeks before I go. It's not really a 4-week taper - it's still 3 weeks, it's just that I prefer to put the peak long run 4 weeks out, not 3. The rest of the training doesn't wind down though....

• OK, so here is the remainder (!) of the plan - the final 4 weeks. I've left in tomorrow and Sunday's session, with a slight amendment on Sunday that might bring a smile toy your face image Enjoy! I'll check in to the forum where possible but will be relying on my phone for access. If any probs, please text or call!

REMAINDER OF WEEK 12
    Saturday 6 MILES STEADY
    Sunday 20.5 miles easy
    MILEAGE 44

Week 13 w/c 11th March (3 WEEKS OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday REST or 4 mile jog
    Wednesday 6 mile OUT AND BACK - 8.15-8.30 ON WAY OUT – 7.45-8 ON WAY BACK
    Thursday 5 mile comfortable PLUS 3 ACCEL STRIDES
    Friday REST
    Saturday 4 miles steady
    Sunday OFF ROAD RUN 2 HOURS comfortable (not extreme terrain – just softer/more varied underfoot)
    MILEAGE 33

Week 14 w/c 18th March (2 WEEKS OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 5 MILE MP
    Wednesday 3 MILE JOG plus cross training or stretching
    Thursday Intervals: 2 MILES EASY 5 X 400M INTERVALS at 6.20 pace NOT faster! WITH 2.5 MIN RECOVERIES, 1 MILE EASY (5)
    Friday 4 MILES COMFORTABLE
    Saturday REST
    Sunday LONG RUN 12 MILES COMFORTABLE (around 8.35 - last 4 at MP or up to 7.55)
    MILEAGE 29

Week 15 w/c 25th march (1 WEEK OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday 2 MILE EASY THEN 3 X ACCEL STRIDES THEN 3 X 1 MILE FAST INTERVALS at 6.55-7.05 pace WITH 2.5 MIN JOG, 1 MILE EASY 6.5
    Wednesday 3 MILE JOG
    Thursday 5 MILE RUN – 1 COMFORTABLE 3 MP, 1 COMFORTABLE
    Friday rest or low impact cross training

Saturday 8.5 MILES comfortable
    Sunday Rest or low impact cross training
    MILEAGE 23

Week 16 w/c 1st April RACE WEEK
    Monday 3 MILE JOG
    Tuesday 1 MILE COMFORTABLE, 3 MILES MP, 1 MILE COMFORTABLE (5 MILES)
    Wednesday REST
    Thursday 3 MILE JOG PLUS 2 X ACCEL STRIDES
    Friday: REST
    Saturday 20 MINS EASY PLUS 3 ACCEL STRIDES (optional!)
    Sunday RACE DAY

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Sunday RACE DAY

The final pieces of the plan are finally in place! image

Not sure I'll be able to mirror your 20.5 miles this weekend, I may only do 20.27 or it could be as low as 20.23, we'll have to see how I feelimage

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Yoghurt or glass of 200ml skimmed milk a good choice!

Yoghurt it is then! I'll save those full fat milkshakes until after my weekend long run!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    4 weeks!!!!!! Good luck Ady. I'm sure you are gonna smash it.

Shady- Ady

Okay, have sort of made a decision for you about a restaurant the night before Marathon (6th) and in process of getting this booked. This is the one: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d3534218-Reviews-Il_Piccolo_Rifugio-Paris_Ile_de_France.html .

The problem this year is that the area you are staying in only has small eating places so sitting 17 was the problem so close to the hotel but this restaurant has suggested that we book it all out for private eating (it only sits 23 in total anyway) and because it has good reviews etc I just thought this was really going to be the best option. If you want to give me an idea of what you want/wish (perhaps we can wait a couple of weeks before doing this). I have email contact so we can do this but they have Pizzas and topping of your choice (so little or no cheese could be an option!), pasta and regular tomato sauces or other typical Italian dishes (although would advice no creamy sauces!) and also do rice options. I have suggested we book for 6.30pm.

The night before you are not likely to be eating until 9pm as you do not arrive in Paris until 6pm, then go straight to expo so I think best suggestion is to eat  at one of the two Italians only 200-400m form the hotel. I still need to confirm they will take the number we need etc so trying to do this today. These two restaurants are ranked lower than the above by trip advisor but still good reviews. I will send link once I know this is possible. Restaurant choices has been a little tricky this year partly as little website info on eating places in this area of Paris etc hence time this has taken and no menu available to give you links.

Wow Ruth........that looks very upmarket......£17-£34 price bracket.....I hope you get a free basket of bread for that price! image Only jesting........that actually looks spot on...........I don't think I could have done a better job if my life depended on it!

It looks like I'll have to save fondue and snails until Sunday evening then! The least time I ate out in Paris a mouse ran down the wall and into the fireplace of the restaurant I was in. As long as that doesn;t happen this time, I think you're on to a winner.

If we aren't eating until 9pm, does that allow us to put in an extra snack beforehand on Fridat afternoon? Hopefully there will be a few freebies on offer at the expo that'll keep me ticking over!

Thanks for all the effort you're putting in to finding us places to eat. I really see how important nutrition is now as part pf marathon training......definitely no more running so I can eat more for me!

Some information just to start you thinking/remind about race day (not sure you will thank me for that one!).

• The marathon starts at 8.45am. You are likely to be leaving hotel around 7am. So remember to pack a snack and choice of fluid in bag that you may be having in-between breakfast & race start. Check all belts/gels/ sweets again before you leave are in order.
    • Every 5km there will be bottles water and sponge station (may be useful towards end if hot). There is also dried fruit and fresh fruit at these stations but suggest you stick to your practiced plan.
    • At 22km (around 14miles) there is PowerAde available but only at his time. I would be happy if you wanted to mouth wash with this but probably nothing more unless you know for sure this won’t cause you stomach problems.

Just really trying to prepare you so can start to picture what race morning will be like.

Your weight loss has actually be text book perfect - gradual weight loss really means you are way more likely to keep this off. Just be wary of nut type muesli cereal although they can be healthy they are generally a nightmere for calories!!

Nothing to worry about regaridng the Alpen muesli bars......they're only 120 calories a pop! I'll stick to just the one a day though!

I must say I wasn't aware the race started so early. That's earlier that the Parkruns, and I know I find them a struggle at that time. I'll definitely have to get up before 6am on race day.

I'lll probably go for a jam sandwich on race day for the snack after breakfast. This is what I had for the half when we practised the race strategy. 

Regarding gels.........I'm using SIS Isotonic Go Gels..........this don't contain caffeine. Do you want one of my gels to contain caffeine on raceday. I haven't used any that contain caffeine in the last few long runs and I'm not sure I'd be wanting to change now either?

It's nice that the water stations aren't every mile as this would cause a lot of congestion. Unless I'm feeling like I'm in desperate need of extra energy, then I won't touch anything I haven't pracrised with. Even though I've had Powerade before many times, I might stick to the water, as I did this at Spitfire and it didn't bother me at all having only water.

Thanks for the comment regaridng my weight loss. If my weight loss does start to stagnate in the next week or two, do you have any tips of how to re-ignite it again, or would you not be so bothered pushing for this with it being so close to race day? I'm tempted to bring in a few minutes of quick burst weight work in the evening?

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Hope this weekend's run goes well - glad you might have managed to get some company for it! I have only run 2.5 miles this week but am going to tackle the Grizzly and see what happens - my ankle/calf is feeling much better - and I never planned to really 'race' the Grizzly, just complete it as I hear it's pretty tough! Besides, we're going anyway as we have tagged on a few days holiday after, down in devon.

So I thought I'd better post the plan for the next 4 weeks before I go. It's not really a 4-week taper - it's still 3 weeks, it's just that I prefer to put the peak long run 4 weeks out, not 3. The rest of the training doesn't wind down though....

Hey Sam..........Good luck with Grizzly and happy to hear your ankle/ calf seems to be back to normal. I hope it hasn't affected your planning for VLM pacing at all. I was wondering regarding the pacing - as you are pacing an hour less than your normal marathon times, do you put in exactly the same level of training still, or can you change your training to match the target you're going for?

Thanks for posting the last 4 weeks........I can't believe we are on to that already. The taper isn't anywhere near as severe as I'd imagined it to be.....it's almost like a normal week and then just less miles ran at the weekend. Of course....I'm very happy with the increase in distance on Sunday too. You know me too well by now. 

For Week 16 on the 5 mile run on Tuesday (1 mile comfortable, 3 miles MP and 1 mile comfortable), I'm now running my comfortable miles at about the same pace as my marathon pace. Shall I run all 5 miles at the same pace?. I'll let you know if I have any issues over the next few days, but hopefully you'll get through Grizzly and a few days holiday without hearing from me once!

Have a nice race and break!image

• Malcs wrote (see)
    SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Sunday RACE DAY

The final pieces of the plan are finally in place! image

Not sure I'll be able to mirror your 20.5 miles this weekend, I may only do 20.27 or it could be as low as 20.23, we'll have to see how I feelimage

Race day you say? That sounds vaugely familiar.......how far is it again?

Malcs........Only 20.27 you say? The 0.23 less mileage could put a dent in making your marathon target don't you know! image I think if you push the legs to make just another 0.05, you'll be back on track!

Do you have another long run htis weekend? Will you have to be up at silly o'clock to get it in before watching any rugby?

The trainers are the same make and model. I bought two pairs at the same time...which were identical to my previous pair. Im going to walk in them all weekend and see if that helps...if not least my current trainers feel ok.

Did you get your lie in today? image

I did 18 this morning, 8 at MP...fingers crossed that will prepare me ready for next sunday. Ive just been speaking to minni and she things 8:30+ for the first 10 miles and then MP (7:45-7:55) for the last 10 miles. I practiced my marathon day fuel strategy today...went surprising well, thanks to Ruth image

Hey Sarah........I did get my lie in today thanks...........until 7:30am............I'd still class it as a lie in though.

Do you normally buy two pairs at the same time? I'm always too tight-fisted to buy two at the same time.......I normally wait until one pair is 2 months old and then gradually work the new pair in as the old pair runs its final few miles. But those final few miles last for a good 2 months further. I just find it hard to get rid of them unless their failing apart! 

It sounds like your run today will put you in a solid position for next week. I like your MP pace as well. I think I'd be more comfortable with a MP of around 7:50m/m, but I might start off a little slower than this for the first few miles so I can warm up and reduce the chance of burning out before the end of the race.

What fuel strategy are you using? How many gels are you using?

Enjoy your weekend!

• Hi Ady

Run the non-MP miles a bit slower - maybe around 8.30... still in your 'comfortable' pace range!

Re. my training... I've been mainly training at my own pace as I had Canterbury 10 in January and have Hastings Half Marathon in a couple of weeks, which are my 'own' races. And I'm also doing a marathon in July! But my one concession has been long run pace which I've just been really relaxed about - that has fitted in really nicely with my training group for Paris as I've been able to run with some of them which I wouldn't have been able to if I'd been running at my own goal training/race paces...

Enjoy that extra 0.5. And Malcs, the extra .27 image

• DS2 wrote (see)
    4 weeks!!!!!! Good luck Ady. I'm sure you are gonna smash it.

Thanks DS2.....you certainly have a lot more confidence than I do. I'm extremely confident about a new PB, but a sub 3:30 that's still going to take everthing and then some on top! I'm sure I'll still be on for it after 20 miles, but it'll all depend on the last 6. Hopefully with my fuelling and carb-loading added in to my training I should have enough.

It's the least I deserve to do though considering all the help and support people have given along the way so far! image

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Thursday 7th March 2013

7:20am - Breakfast - Jordan's Country Crisp Chunky Nut cereals w/ semi-skimmed milk.

8:30am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

10:45am - Alpen granola bar, bottle of water

11:45pm - 8.74 mile run (see earlier for full description)

1:25pm - Lunch - Bulgar wheat and chicken breast pan fried in fennel and coriander seeds, bottle of water

2:15pm - Bottle of water

3:00pm - Cup of tea, tangerine

5:00pm - Bottle of water, apple

7:30pm - Dinner - Quiche, croquettes x4, sweetcorn, baked beans, pint of squash

8:30pm - Yoghurt with a handful of nuts and berries, a couple of leftover Percy Pigs from Sundays race. Cup of tea.

9:30pm - Pint of squash

10:30pm - Glass of water

• Day 82 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (08/03/13)

Target: Rest or cross-training

Actual: 11.54miles in 35 minutes on exercise bike on hill setting.

I'm actually glad I didn't have to run today. The weather was awful. I forget that it was only a few weeks ago that I was having to run every day in pouring rain.

It's a shame Spring is on hold for at least the next few days. It would have been nice to get at least one long run in when the temperature was hotter and more like what we might experience in Paris. It's much easier to run in cold weather when I don't feel the need to hydrate all the time. Warmer weather and my hydration needs multiply exponentially.

I was originally planning on cycling for an hour today, but due to other commitments I got down to the gym later than I was expecting. As my wife hadn't been feeling well, I thought it would be best to try and get back home by the time she arrived home. Not only to make myself look like a doting husband, but also to put myself firmly in her good books ahead of having to spend a good portion of Saturday and Sunday running again!

I like this setting on the exercise bike............it's not extremely challenging as the resistance is less, but it's good practice of having to keep fast speeds for a long duration. It would have been nice to complete the hour to see if I would have beaten my previous best. I normally get much more of a kick and satisfaction out of my training when I'm attempting to beat a target. I think this is why I always try and go under my lowest pacing target, as I see it as a target to beat, not a target to stick to.

With a heavy weekend of running coming up. it's probably best I didn't push for the hour!  

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Do you have another long run htis weekend? Will you have to be up at silly o'clock to get it in before watching any rugby?

Yes and yes! image

Currently waiting for breakfast to go down.

The rugby this afternoon is what has become known as the 'marriage splitter'. Scotland vs Wales. Only one of us will come out of it smiling.

• Malcs wrote (see)
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Yes and yes! image

Currently waiting for breakfast to go down.

The rugby this afternoon is what has become known as the 'marriage splitter'. Scotland vs Wales. Only one of us will come out of it smiling.

Good luck on the long run. Ah.....the marriage splitter. It's at times like this I'm happy I married an American.........there's few sports where we are on an even footing! My borther's OH is Welsh and he lives in Wales, so he has learnt when to keep quiet and that gloating is never allowed should England be victorious!

I enjoyed your running company so much last weekend, I've managed to find another unsuspecting victim to run my long run with tomorrow. It also means I get to turn my back on my normal pavement run along an A road and swap it for the more peaceful location of Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park. 

Hope you come out of today with the marriage intact!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Enjoying the banter boys. Enjoy the long run guys. Always nice to get the last long run done and dusted Ady.

My knee feels a bit better this morning. Will rest and ice today and have a relatively short LSR tomorrow of 15 after 21 and 20 the past two Sundays.

Difficult one on the Rugby. Much easier for me having an English wife.
  • Day 83 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (09/03/13)

Target: 6 miles steady @ 7:20m/m - 7:45m/m

Actual: 6.26 miles in 46:51 @7:29m/m

It's as though last week's Boot Camp training day where we practised to run without our Garmin watches was a bad omen and our watches are now cursed!

Today my Garmin through a wobbler of epic proportions. I've never had such a problem before......ever! I don't know if it is because the last time I used it I was running intervals and today I forgot to change it back to 1 mile laps? It could be just to show me that I should never rely on it and trust it!

I knew something was wrong as soon as I set off. For the first mile it said I was running at 2:30m/m pace. I know my pace has improved since the start of training.....but really that fast? I'm not that gullible!

It also said that I'd completed my first mile after only 1/2 a mile of running. Things didn't get any better. It's lucky this is a regular run of mine and I know exactly how long it normally is. I've measured it previously with my Garmin and the out and back course is 10km. Today my Garmin said I'd only ran 2 miles by the time I got to the 5km (3.1 miles) halfway turning point and my speed was well over 10 minute miles, after starting faster than a sprinting cheetah (Malcs, Xyloid or Paulo, that's not a challenge to place my head on the body of a cheetah now! image)

So it turned out to be a good session of pacing myself without relying on my Garmin and using my own mental powers instead. I'm pretty happy to come home perfectly in my pacing guideline and this has actually been a great practice to run without relying on my watch - a blessing in disguise! If this does happen in Paris, I now have 2 training sessions to draw experience on of running without my trusted Garmin pacing me every step of the way.

It was quite muggy, damp and overcast today. I think I might have tweaked my quad again. Nothing serious but it was tight, probably because I  started running without any real w/up. I only felt it though when I lost running form, pulling my leg up rather than kicking my foot back. As soon as I focused on kicking my foot back, I was able to run without any hindrance.

Looking at the Garmin info below, my out and back course had me finishing somewhere miles from home and only covering 5.93 miles, when it should have been 6.26 miles (Obviously I like my decimal points!). It also has an elevation gain of 98.194ft. When you consider Everest is only 29,029ft, I have apparently completed my 6 mile session today, while climbing Everest up and down 3 times, and then throwing 2 climbs of Ben Nevis in for good measure. Not bad for 47 minutes of work! Who said Garmins never lie! image

Here's my run from today (well, the lies from my run - only the time is correct!):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/282041253

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    I'm a Garmin fan, it's very sophisticated toy, however it's known to have glitches due to tunnels and tall buildings which reflect the signal. After Paris, I'm putting it away for a while.

100 000ft just shows the target 26,2 team are out of this world. You're flying! You weren't wearing you blue pyjamas with S for Shady?
  • PC91 wrote (see)
    I'm a Garmin fan, it's very sophisticated toy, however it's known to have glitches due to tunnels and tall buildings which reflect the signal. After Paris, I'm putting it away for a while.

100 000ft just shows the target 26,2 team are out of this world. You're flying! You weren't wearing you blue pyjamas with S for Shady?

Haha........the target 26.2 team are certainly out of this world, but I think 100,000 ft. of elevation gain in just over 45 mins is an improvement even they might struggle with!

There was no blue pyjama wearing unfortunately.....or capes! Just the usual ill-fitting lycra,  which probably had a similar effect! I was standing right next to my apartment block, so this could have played a role in the unfeasible elevation gain.

I agree with you. It'll be nice to have one or two runs where time isn't an issue at all and you just run depending on how you are feeling. Like you though, this will have to wait until after Paris.

Is it your longest run this weekend as well? What does your taper look like for Paris?