Sussex Marathon 2013

Well having been a runner for just over two years now, and having done about 11 half marathons, including the notorious midsummer munro ultra half over Box Hill, i have entered my first marathon. I had hoped to get into Brighton, but no can do, and now i am settling for second best, which is the Sussex, which i did the half for this year, in 1.41, and rather enjoyed.

It may not be the most easiest one to do first time out, but i am starting my training now. Taking my miles higher than my usual 10 mile training runs in addition to other ones i do.

In short, i am looking forward to it. The Sussex was well organised, a great location, taking in some lovely countryside, and is quite small in its size. But come the day after Brighton 2013 finishes i am applying straight away.

Comments

• I am doing it tooimage was a lot slower than you on the half last year. 

although I am currently recovering from a knee issue so may end up just doing the half if I can't manage the fullimage 

agree with it being well organised and a great location

• Blimey! That goes part the end of my old road and I used to train around that route...may have to enter this one as I'm not that far away even though I've moved house.
  • mathschick wrote (see)

I am doing it tooimage was a lot slower than you on the half last year. 

although I am currently recovering from a knee issue so may end up just doing the half if I can't manage the fullimage 

agree with it being well organised and a great location

Hope you heal up soon hon, and hope to put the face to the name this time. As for being a lot slower. I dont exactly have high hopes for myself this marathon. Should have picked a flat one for my first, but there again, it will make other ones look easy if i can do this one.

• Well i am beginning my training, and am up to quite a comfortable 15 miles, and trying to get those hills in where i can to prepare for Sussex. I am looking forward to it, but there is a certain amount of dread too. That hill at mile 12, which i will have to do at mile 25.

Having done the half i know what i am in for, but the reality is starting to kick in now ha ha..

• yeah, that last hill is a killer! still not sure I am going to be able to do the full marathon, but hopefully will make at least the half, knee permitting!

• Well its not long now, and i am looking forward to this. Looking at the times people having completed it in. Something to think about here. There was a person who did the Brighton Marathon last year. He did it in 3hrs 20. He was 300th. The person who came 4th in Sussex last year did it in about the same time. Bottom line, just getting around for me will be a medal well done, and under 4 hours would be nice.

Its a tough one for a reason, but still i am pleased its my first Marathon to do. Would do it over London any day.

• how is your training going? there is no way I am going to be able to do the full marathon, I am not even running at the moment - waiting for an mri on my knee. Was thinking I could walk the half marathon (like walk really fast) but not sure I would be satisfied with that - and would everyone look at me funny for walking? 

• I saw these two women who walked the whole of the Bexhill Half. They just ambled along chatting to each other, and got medals. If you walk it fast, you have reason for not running due to your knee. I certainly wouldnt look at you funny. I would go for it.

My training is going okay, i did Brighton half at the weekend for a training purpose and am planning a slow 18-19 miler this weekend. Its less than 7 weeks away, so am looking forward to it. You going to come down with your family again?

• thanks ghostrider

yep, we are having a holiday again, and hoping for nice weather again - last year we were on the beach, although hard to believe given how cold it is now, but we can hope.  We found a lovely cafe in Rye so we are hoping it is still there, amazing crepe with nutella and banana - perfect recovery fuelimage

• My family are coming too. I told them they need to help carry me up mile 25. This might be the race that ends my running career lol

• not sure my family are actually going to come and watch, seem to think they might decide to spend the morning playing computers! Specially as we have booked accommodation with internet accessimage

well, glad to have someone say I wouldn't be a saddo to walk the half marathon, it would be good practice for a little half ironman I am doing in June, and I am guessing there isn't really a cut off time for the half as the full and an ultra are running as well. Must email them and get them to shift me to the half

• mathschick wrote (see)

not sure my family are actually going to come and watch, seem to think they might decide to spend the morning playing computers! Specially as we have booked accommodation with internet accessimage

well, glad to have someone say I wouldn't be a saddo to walk the half marathon, it would be good practice for a little half ironman I am doing in June, and I am guessing there isn't really a cut off time for the half as the full and an ultra are running as well. Must email them and get them to shift me to the half

sighs.. what is the point in them coming down then. Dont they see that them supporting you is important, to see your determination, your effort, your pain against all odds. When i see you on the course i am going to jolly you on.

• thanks ghostrider, no, they don't get the supporting bit! I have told them they must be there when I finish the half ironman I am doing in the summer though! and it is not far from where we live, there is no excuse. I'll let them off being there for the 6:30am startimage

• I would be there for you, for i know what a runner is like, and how you should be supported. Why is it they dont support you i wonder? Maybe it takes a runner to understand a runner i dont know. But for me, if my partner was running i would be very proud, and would queue in the rain to see them.

I ran 19 miles today. My right achilies is not thanking me lol

• I think my OH thinks of supporting as looking after the kids while I do my thing, which to be honest is important too!

• Fair enough, which is what my OH is doing, but its just nice to talk about running, and share the experience also. Especially Sussex. Its a hard one. You need people there to jolly you on.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Just entered this. Not far from home and my first road race in a while.

Anyone else queried the 30 mile option? Sent a mail but not sure how to enter it!

• I HAVEN'T SORRY. JUST TO DO THE FULL MARATHON ANDMY FIRST ONE AT THAT WILL BE AN ACHIEVEMENT
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Good stuff... Enjoy it image

• WiB wrote (see)

Good stuff... Enjoy it image

Well hope you come along. The more the merrier. I can't wait for it. I have been waiting for it, from about an hour after i did my half at Sussex last year. Its a tough race, but its small, its not corporate, it is a great one to say you have done.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    I have entered the marathon and mailed them about the 30 mile option. More than happy to do the marathon though image
  • we'll have to have ways to identify each other at the start!

• mathschick wrote (see)

we'll have to have ways to identify each other at the start!

Well i will be wearing a Camelbak which has the words 'Keep on truckin' on the back, and i have a long tattoo down my right arm.

• I have blonde hair which will be up in a ponytail, don't know what I will be wearing yet though, if it is nice weather I may wear my pirate topimage

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Just over 4 weeks... image

• WiB wrote (see)

Just over 4 weeks... image

Yep! Can't wait. Up to 19 miles in my training, but as the miles have been getting higher, so have the aches, and i am trying to walk that line still between being fit and being injured. Not helped by having a job where i am on my feet all day.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Good work! Better to be well rested than overtrained or injured. Sounds like you are timing your build up well.
  • I think with timing, i will just be happy to do it under 4 hours. My mission is simple. Keep on running, even on the hill parts, just never stop, and go from there. I am going to start off slow, 8 minute mile it and go from there. I am sure we all have our own techniques.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Mine is just run and have fun image

• Well i went out this morning with the intention of doing 20 miles, but i got to 19.5, was really feeling light headed, although my legs were okay. I hadnt filled my camelbak to the brim, so ran short of fluids. Made mental note to take Dextrose tablets with me next time.

This is the thing. It is better to learn from your mistakes now, rather than have a bad race day. Its like little things. Keeping the pace no quicker than 8 minute miling, since my body cant deal with that distance at any quicker time.

Mixing my water in my camel with Zero tablets etc.

Sussex is going to be hard, but i dont regret entering it. Race day is always different. Crossing over the finishing line after all the training is what its all about.