Target 26.2 - First Timer Steve's Journey to Paris

Comments

• Hey Steve

Well done for keeping yourself occupied with cross training... hope you managed to hit the pool tonight - I did 2k at the pool today..... because - would you believe, ever since training day on Saturday I have had a pain in my Achilles. Noticed it just faintly after the canal runs, and it's just got worse... haven't run since then. So I feel your pain (though I have 2 extra weeks to recover than you, since not running Paris). But obviously (!) I'm practising what I preach - icing, rest, cross training and anti inflams. And er, red wine. That helps recovery, eh Ruth?image

You might find that using a pool buoy works, to give you a good CV workout without in any way irritating the knee. Now come on KNEE, get better now - Steve needs you to cooperate here.

Keep us posted Steve. Everything crossed.

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)
    RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

A message to Steve's Knee : give him lots of pain when you think he is causing any further damage as you nor I wish no further damage but if you could try really hard and get better very quickly we would all like you very much.

Steve : brown sauce imageBUT if not doing much running for the next few days please try and keep all the "extras/junk" to not very much at all and portions a little smaller. 

Haha let's hope the knee is listening image

Yes, I always have brown sauce on my cereal...image

I had some very healthy chilli this evening and kept the portion size nice and reasonable. As I cooked too much I am going to have the rest with a baked sweet potato tomorrow so I am, on the whole, being healthy! I did chop up two whole finger chillis, seeds and all, and chucked them in so it was pretty mouth-searingly hot... loved it! Definitely enjoying this cooking lark.

How are we doing with the Paris restaurants? Any closer to a decision?

The area you are staying in Paris has a lot of SMALL eating places so proving hard to get somewhere to have you all comfortably.. as you are now a star you have your support "people" also to feed  but yes narrowed down to 3 eateries. I have  my sister on the case so she is phoning  these places for me (as she lives in Paris hence the huddle of language being less of an issue for meimage) to make sure numbers are okay and we have some options that are non-pasta/pizza for Sarah. No online menus so she is doing the menu check over the phone also (I have given her a  list!)  but the reviews are good for all three. The furthest one away is only 0.6 miles from hotel so that is a big bonus.

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

Hey Steve

Well done for keeping yourself occupied with cross training... hope you managed to hit the pool tonight - I did 2k at the pool today..... because - would you believe, ever since training day on Saturday I have had a pain in my Achilles. Noticed it just faintly after the canal runs, and it's just got worse... haven't run since then. So I feel your pain (though I have 2 extra weeks to recover than you, since not running Paris). But obviously (!) I'm practising what I preach - icing, rest, cross training and anti inflams. And er, red wine. That helps recovery, eh Ruth?image

You might find that using a pool buoy works, to give you a good CV workout without in any way irritating the knee. Now come on KNEE, get better now - Steve needs you to cooperate here.

Keep us posted Steve. Everything crossed.

Hi Sam,

Oh no, that's rubbish luck! Am I right in thinking that you've got the Grizzly at the weekend?? I think Birmingham is cursed. You should come and run in Basildon! image

Unfortunately, my amazing 50m pool with state-of-the-art faciltiies that is the envy of all and sundry... was closed to the general public because of some big swimming race/gala! Nevermind, I'll definitely hit the pool tomorrow after work (I may even get an early night and get the swim in before work...

2km?!? You're obviously a far stronger swimmer than I am! I did 1km a few weeks back and had jelly arms for days... image

Thanks for the support image

• Evening Bacon Steve!

Just nipping in to check how the knee's coming on and to say Get Well Soon!! Fab to see you last Saturday ... can't believe the next time we're all going to be together is in Paris!! (We'll get you over that finish line if we have to drag you!!)

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

The area you are staying in Paris has a lot of SMALL eating places so proving hard to get somewhere to have you all comfortably.. as you are now a star you have your support "people" also to feed  but yes narrowed down to 3 eateries. I have  my sister on the case so she is phoning  these places for me (as she lives in Paris hence the huddle of language being less of an issue for meimage) to make sure numbers are okay and we have some options that are non-pasta/pizza for Sarah. No online menus so she is doing the menu check over the phone also (I have given her a  list!)  but the reviews are good for all three. The furthest one away is only 0.6 miles from hotel so that is a big bonus.

Haha the downsides of celebrity life, eh? It's going to be tough dodging all those paps!

Wish I had a sister in Paris - would be great for city breaks! Just tell her j'aime des pâtes à la sauce tomate ou des pâtes aux fruits de mer. Merci.

In other vaguely nutritional news, I found the absolutely most amazing way to eat chilli this evening:

/members/images/744786/Gallery/Chilli_heaven.jpg

Thank you for forcing me to cook properly! image

• RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Evening Bacon Steve!

Just nipping in to check how the knee's coming on and to say Get Well Soon!! Fab to see you last Saturday ... can't believe the next time we're all going to be together is in Paris!! (We'll get you over that finish line if we have to drag you!!)

Hey RRR,

Thanks image Feels a bit like a bag of rusty spanners at the moment but I'm sure a couple of days rest will sort that out!

Great to see you too, as always, and I'm so pleased you brought your own coffee with you this time... you seemed a lot more relaxedimage

I know! Crazy thought, isn't it?? And so close as well...

• Training - Week 12

Tuesday - Cross Training

Well, as I said above, the pool was closed. Grumble grumble. So the swim is now in the diary for tomorrow instead. Honestly, I'm like a caged tiger and I just want to do something! If I'd have had runs scheduled, I'd probably be thinking "aw, do I have to?" but because I can't I really want to! Basically, what I'm saying is that I'm a big kid.

So as I couldn't run or swim this evening, I did a bit more core work and ended up, including the bit I did this morning, doing the following:

Sit ups - 100

Press ups - 45

Plank - 2, both for 1min 20secs

That'll do me for today and, like I say, tomorrow I'm going to hit the pool.

The knee hasn't felt  too great today to be honest - it feels very grindy and clicks/pops a lot. You know when you try to change gear and you haven't got the clutch down properly?

Yeah, that.

• Training - Week 12

Wednesday - Cross Training

Wednesday and... a familiar theme. Cross-training!

I went to the pool today to swim a few lengths and, by and large, it was ok. I only managed 750m but it wasn't too bad so I was fairly content by the end.

When I have been running and my knee has played up, it has felt like the whole joint is inflammed, like it has been over-used, is all sore and is grinding on and impacting on itself. That's probably the best way I can describe it.

When I was swimming, I didn't have that at all BUT what I did find was that on a few occasions when doing various things in the pool, when my knee twisted in some way I felt a very definite tweak. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was amazingly painful but it was sore and definitely felt like something was up. What that is, I don't know yet but there definitely feels like there is something going on...

I have been resting, icing, taking the inflammatories but I have to confess that for the first time I am getting rather worried. I haven't run for four days now and it still feels like there is something not right so I'm actually not really looking forward to running on it!

Until now I have been feeling pretty positive and feeling like it'll all work out one way or another but I'm not feeling quite so chipper about it all this evening. I've got one more rest day and then will give a run a try and I'm not feeling particularly confident as to how that will turn out...

Having said all that, I have had so many kind things said by so many people and that really has helped a huge amount - it has definitely kept putting the smile back on my face!

Sam and Sarah, what run do you think I should do on Friday? Should I just try and slot back into the training plan? Or is there a specific run either of you had in mind? Obviously I'm thinking something at a nice, gentle pace but distance-wise it has seemed to take a few miles for any pain to kick in so maybe I should try 5 miles or more to give it a proper test? Or do you think it better to do something very short first to break it back in gently?

• Hey Steve, I've been following you for a while as (at the start anyway!) your timings seemed to match my aspirations for London this April. I have one previous attempt at London, 11 years ago when I was a mere 31... I managed all my training plan and then just three weeks before the big day I did my 20 miler in 3 hours so I was on target for sub 4:00. Next day I couldn't walk, I then was diagnosed with shin splints and was told by a physio that all I could do was have treatment and rest for the three weeks to the big day. It was hard to take after all the winter training. Anyway, my comment here is that your thoughts above are bang on! I lost my time completely of course but the day was amazing. The idea of running a whole marathon , the crowds, the atmosphere etc all more than made up for the injury problem. It was a fantastic day that I will always remember. My time ? 4:46:21 so I lost nearly an hour from prediction but it really honestly just didn't matter , I had a huge beaming smile in my photo with the medal !

I really hope you are able to run in Paris whatever the condition of your knee over the coming month and enjoy the experience!!

For me, now my second try. Been training since September, had some minor injuries, one hip, one knee but doing ok, on target for sub 4:00 again and crossing fingers and built a relationship with my new best friend , the foam roller.

Take care , rest up and build the mileage up slowly again.
  • Sorry to hear about your knee woes! You’ve got a great team behind you (and forum supporters) who will hopefully get you on the start line in Paris.

I panicked at the start of my training when I started to get pains on the side of my knee after a short run and it became so unbearable I couldn’t manage a jog. I booked myself in to see a physio to get a proper diagnosis and was told I had ‘runner’s knee’. I had a massage and stuck to swimming and the cross-trainer for a full week and eased myself back with 2 mins run, 1 min walk. Although I had some initial niggles I was amazed and how much a full week off running helped. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be but I’m sending your knee some positive vibes!

• Hi Steve, your first run back has got to be a very easy 15-20 mins just to see how it all feels in there. Does it still feel inflammed or has that settled now? What you felt swimming could be the cartliage catching in the joint. Keep me posted.

• Steve loves bacon wrote (see)
    RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Haha the downsides of celebrity life, eh? It's going to be tough dodging all those paps!

Wish I had a sister in Paris - would be great for city breaks! Just tell her j'aime des pâtes à la sauce tomate ou des pâtes aux fruits de mer. Merci.

In other vaguely nutritional news, I found the absolutely most amazing way to eat chilli this evening:

/members/images/744786/Gallery/Chilli_heaven.jpg

Thank you for forcing me to cook properly! image

That looks amazing, other than the olivesimage !

• Okay Steve, have sort of made a decision for you! about a restaurant the night before Marathon (6th) and in process of getting this booked. This is the one: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d3534218-Reviews-Il_Piccolo_Rifugio-Paris_Ile_de_France.html .

The problem this year is that the area you are staying in only has small eating places so sitting 17 was the problem so close to the hotel but this restaurant has suggested that we book it all out for private eating (it only sits 23 in total anyway). It has good reviews so I just thought this was really going to be the best option. If you want to give me an idea of what you want (perhaps we can wait a couple of weeks before doing this) I have email contact so we can do this but they have Pizzas and topping of your choice (so little or no cheese could be an option!), pasta and regular tomato sauces or other typical Italian dishes (although would advice no creamy sauces!) and also do rice options. I have suggested we book for 6.30pm.

The night before you are not likely to be eating until 9pm as you do not arrive in Paris until 6pm, then go straight to expo so I think best suggestion is to eat  at one of the two Italians only 200-400m form the hotel. I still need to confirm they will take the number we need etc so trying to do this today. These two restaurants are ranked lower than the above by trip advisor but still good reviews. I will send link once I know these choices will be possible. Restaurant choices has been a little tricky this year,  as little website info on eating places in this area of Paris etc hence time this has taken and no menu available to give you links

• Some information just to start you thinking/remind about race day (not sure you will thank me for that one!).

• The marathon starts at 8.45am. You are likely to be leaving hotel around 7am. So remember to pack a snack and choice of fluid in bag that you may be having in-between breakfast & race start. Check all belts/gels/ sweets again before you leave are in order.
    • Every 5km there will be bottles water and sponge station (may be useful towards end if hot). There is also dried fruit and fresh fruit at these stations but suggest you stick to your practiced plan.
    • At 22km (around 14miles) there is PowerAde available but only at his time. I would be happy if you wanted to mouth wash with this but probably nothing more unless you know for sure this won’t cause you stomach problems.
  • As per tweet earlier, Steve, I'm echoing Sarah's sentiment that today's run should be just a small test-out - 20 mins or so and to abandon if causes significant pain. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this uncertainty - let's hope things turn around...

• we are all waiting in anticipation how the knee was with your first run!!????/image.......

• Hiya,

Sorry for the lack of updates!

I ran for just over 20 minutes this morning at a very slow pace and basically took it really easy. I got through the run without any significant pain but there was definitely something not right with the knee...

Before and at bootcamp last week I was able to run four or five miles before any pain really started to kick in so I'm still unsure as to whether there has been improvement or not after having the rest. Unfortunately, it did feel much as it did beforehand so I guess I'll have to wait until I start hitting the longer runs before I can be certain of what is going on and whether it has improved or not.

I'm feeling pretty deflated this evening to be honest. Probably not the best time to be writing a post, so please do forgive me for having a bit of a moan!

I've just had a bit of a read of all the other threads on here and watched the vid from training day two to try and cheer myself up a bit but it's actually sort of had the opposite effect seeing everyone chatting about long runs and so on.

I've had the letter through to make my appointment for a scan already so I'm really pleased that my doctor got that sorted so quickly - I'm going to phone around the three places on offer first thing Monday morning to see which as the earliest appointment available for me...

Overall I'm not quite sure what to think at the moment and I guess I just want to know for certain what is going on with it and how much of an effect it is going to have. But one step at a time.

Tomorrow I've been asked to try out a three mile run so we'll see how that goes and then re-assess again...

Hope everyone is having a great weekend image

• Paul Martin 66 wrote (see)
    Hey Steve, I've been following you for a while as (at the start anyway!) your timings seemed to match my aspirations for London this April. I have one previous attempt at London, 11 years ago when I was a mere 31... I managed all my training plan and then just three weeks before the big day I did my 20 miler in 3 hours so I was on target for sub 4:00. Next day I couldn't walk, I then was diagnosed with shin splints and was told by a physio that all I could do was have treatment and rest for the three weeks to the big day. It was hard to take after all the winter training. Anyway, my comment here is that your thoughts above are bang on! I lost my time completely of course but the day was amazing. The idea of running a whole marathon , the crowds, the atmosphere etc all more than made up for the injury problem. It was a fantastic day that I will always remember. My time ? 4:46:21 so I lost nearly an hour from prediction but it really honestly just didn't matter , I had a huge beaming smile in my photo with the medal !

I really hope you are able to run in Paris whatever the condition of your knee over the coming month and enjoy the experience!!

For me, now my second try. Been training since September, had some minor injuries, one hip, one knee but doing ok, on target for sub 4:00 again and crossing fingers and built a relationship with my new best friend , the foam roller.

Take care , rest up and build the mileage up slowly again.

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your message. That is a fantastic achievement to even get round after suffering with shin splints so close to the big day! Hopefully I'll have an equally big smile on my face when I'm standing there with my medal at the end.

Best of luck with this year! I really do hope you get your sub 4:00 goal - it sounds like you deserve it after your experience last time...!

Yes, Sarah loves the foam roller and strongly recommends them. I think with all the punishment you put your body through when training to run such a huge distance, anything you can do to keep your muscles loose has got to be a good idea!

• KatyLo wrote (see)

Sorry to hear about your knee woes! You’ve got a great team behind you (and forum supporters) who will hopefully get you on the start line in Paris.

I panicked at the start of my training when I started to get pains on the side of my knee after a short run and it became so unbearable I couldn’t manage a jog. I booked myself in to see a physio to get a proper diagnosis and was told I had ‘runner’s knee’. I had a massage and stuck to swimming and the cross-trainer for a full week and eased myself back with 2 mins run, 1 min walk. Although I had some initial niggles I was amazed and how much a full week off running helped. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be but I’m sending your knee some positive vibes!

Hi Katy,

Thank you image Yes, the team are fantastic and so knowledgeable and Sarah and Sam have been amazing with the knee - they've both been texting all weekend and are genuinely concerned so that means a lot to me.

As for everyone on the forum, every time I get a message it puts a smile on my face - I've generally been quite upbeat about everything but today I've been a bit down in the dumps about it all but reading your message and the others really has given me a boost image

Thanks for the positive vibes - is your knee fully back to normal now?

That looks amazing, other than the olivesimage !

The olives were amazing! I dressed the olives, tomatoes and spring onion in a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and finely chopped coriander... Was very tasty!

Okay Steve, have sort of made a decision for you! about a restaurant the night before Marathon (6th) and in process of getting this booked. This is the one: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d3534218-Reviews-Il_Piccolo_Rifugio-Paris_Ile_de_France.html .

The problem this year is that the area you are staying in only has small eating places so sitting 17 was the problem so close to the hotel but this restaurant has suggested that we book it all out for private eating (it only sits 23 in total anyway). It has good reviews so I just thought this was really going to be the best option. If you want to give me an idea of what you want (perhaps we can wait a couple of weeks before doing this) I have email contact so we can do this but they have Pizzas and topping of your choice (so little or no cheese could be an option!), pasta and regular tomato sauces or other typical Italian dishes (although would advice no creamy sauces!) and also do rice options. I have suggested we book for 6.30pm.

The night before you are not likely to be eating until 9pm as you do not arrive in Paris until 6pm, then go straight to expo so I think best suggestion is to eat  at one of the two Italians only 200-400m form the hotel. I still need to confirm they will take the number we need etc so trying to do this today. These two restaurants are ranked lower than the above by trip advisor but still good reviews. I will send link once I know these choices will be possible. Restaurant choices has been a little tricky this year,  as little website info on eating places in this area of Paris etc hence time this has taken and no menu available to give you links

Thanks for all the info Ruth - the restaurant looks great. I suppose a calzone is out of the question then??image

I have always used powerade when running so that should be fine for me - I've used it on all my long runs so hopefully it should be just what I need...

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

As per tweet earlier, Steve, I'm echoing Sarah's sentiment that today's run should be just a small test-out - 20 mins or so and to abandon if causes significant pain. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this uncertainty - let's hope things turn around...

Thanks Sam, and thanks for giving up your weekend to respond to all my emails, texts and so on! I really, really do appreciate it image

Best of luck with your race tomorrow... sounds tough!

• Hey up Steve........I've been thinking about how your run went all day. I was hoping for good news, but it definitely doesn't sound like it's completely bad news. It sounds like you could be in a much worse position.

You managed to run without any significant pain, and if you can do that for longer periods and the pain doesn't increase, then that will get you to the finish. At the pace you've been running as well, I'm sure a sub 4hr is still a possibility. I have full faith in this.

Plus with your cross-training, I doubt you will be lost anything from resting in the last week. You seem to be doing everything right regarding the knee, so this can only put you in the best possible position you can be. 

In 4 weeks will be crossing that finish line together in Paris! 

Keep positive mate! 

• sarah asics pro team wrote (see)

Hi Steve, your first run back has got to be a very easy 15-20 mins just to see how it all feels in there. Does it still feel inflammed or has that settled now? What you felt swimming could be the cartliage catching in the joint. Keep me posted.

Thank you again for all your help and advice, Sarah - it did mean a lot that you took the time to chat to me this morning about it image

It's got a kind of dull throb this evening but nothing too bad... hopefully that'll settle down overnight and I can get through the three miles tomorrow trouble free!

• melaniejayne wrote (see)

we are all waiting in anticipation how the knee was with your first run!!????/image.......

Hey Mel!

Sorry been a bit grumpy all day so have left off posting so I didn't sound like too much of a moany git! Feeling a bit better now for having read the lovely messages from everyone though image

• Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Hey up Steve........I've been thinking about how your run went all day. I was hoping for good news, but it definitely doesn't sound like it's completely bad news. It sounds like you could be in a much worse position.

You managed to run without any significant pain, and if you can do that for longer periods and the pain doesn't increase, then that will get you to the finish. At the pace you've been running as well, I'm sure a sub 4hr is still a possibility. I have full faith in this.

Plus with your cross-training, I doubt you will be lost anything from resting in the last week. You seem to be doing everything right regarding the knee, so this can only put you in the best possible position you can be. 

In 4 weeks will be crossing that finish line together in Paris! 

Keep positive mate! 

Thanks Ady image I have been pretty upbeat about it all - just had a bit of a downer today but tomorrow is a new day... Like you say, it could definitely be a lot worse!

If you suddenly notice you're feeling a bit heavier on the start line in Paris, that's because I've just jumped on for a piggy-back... and I'll still expect you to go sub 3:30 even carrying meimage

• Hi Steve,

I've been thinking about u. Injury sucks, and I've had a similar experience after what feels like an age of rest.

Sarah will probably kill me for saying this, as its important to be aware of what ur body is telling u. But I also think the mind is very powerful. Perhaps before u go out again, visuallise what it felt like running before u had any issues. Just a thought. I've found that when I've done all I should have done with an injury and given it time, I still sometimes feel it, but I think it's because I'm expecting to feel it, if that makes sense.

Obviously the scan will tell u all, but it might be worth a shot to think of healing and visualise if it is inconclusive...

Good luck!
  • Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Hi Steve,
    I've been thinking about u. Injury sucks, and I've had a similar experience after what feels like an age of rest.
    Sarah will probably kill me for saying this, as its important to be aware of what ur body is telling u. But I also think the mind is very powerful. Perhaps before u go out again, visuallise what it felt like running before u had any issues. Just a thought. I've found that when I've done all I should have done with an injury and given it time, I still sometimes feel it, but I think it's because I'm expecting to feel it, if that makes sense.
    Obviously the scan will tell u all, but it might be worth a shot to think of healing and visualise if it is inconclusive...
    Good luck!

Thanks Angela, that's really lovely of you to say image It felt a lot better on this morning's run than it did yesterday... so feeling a lot more positive already and that can only be a good thing!

• Well I went out for another run today... and felt really good! image

It wasn't perfect but the knee felt a lot, lot better than yesterday. I don't know whether yesterday was a particularly bad day, today was a particularly good day, or whether it doesn't mean much at all... but I don't much care right now and I do have a big smile on my face and am feeling so much more positive than yesterday!

I ran three miles and whilst it didn't feel completely at 100% and there was something there, it really didn't feel that bad at all and I felt confident enough to play around with paces a bit, running one part a bit faster, another part a bit slower - I was almost treating it like a fartlek session as I just wanted to see what would happen when I sped up a bit rather than just when I was plodding... and that fact alone tells you that it was feeling so much better.

My calf feels a bit tight at the moment but I'm 99.9% certain that this is purely down to me not quite running with my normal form (Sam may say that's not necessarily a bad thing!) as I was favouring the knee slightly... I'm sure that will sort itself out as the knee gets better and I feel more confident running on it.

The run itself was... well actually it was pretty horrible! Haha. It was so much colder than I was expecting and after a mile or so it started to rain, which very quickly turned into a bit of sleet - I thought we'd done with all that nonsense! There was also a bit of a biting wind so I was, all in all, pretty damn cold and wishing I'd put my gloves and leggings on. But I was still smiling nonetheless.

Here's the Garmin info on the run.

So... I may not be out of the woods, but the trees are definitely looking a bit thinner this morning and, dare I say it, I'm looking forward to running in Paris again and have adopted my customary grin.

I have no idea what I'm going to be running this week - whether I'm going to try and just slot back into the planned sessions or whether Sam is going to play around with things, but I reckon I could give a longer run a try and see where we are.

Over to you, Sam!

• ps who else uses Garmin Connect to log their runs?

I'd love to connect with everyone on their as it would be great to see how everyone is getting on with their training - my name on there is Steve_Waites.