Running further or more frequently?

Hey guys I know this has probably been asked before and I did look for a thread similar to the one I am about to submit but I couldn't find one that catered exactly for my needs. At the moment I run between 5 and 7 miles every other day, this means that sometimes I run 3 times a week and sometimes I run 4 times a week. I am 20 and I have been running since I was 16 recreationally. To give you an idea of my pace my last timed run was 5 miles in 32:45. I could maybe run faster than this if I really pushed myself and prepared properly. I am looking to maintain a good base of fitness, I do pressups, chinups, situps etc etc daily and aside from running I rollerskate frequently. I am looking to join the military either late this year or early next year. My question is would continuing to run as I currently run be more beneficial to me than running 3 miles 6 days a week, with Sunday's as a rest day? What are the pro's and cons of running shorter distances frequently compared to running longer distances less frequently? I have a good diet, I drink only water and maybe alcohol once or twice a month. I eat fairly well, eating a mixture of fruits, pasta, cereals, carbs before running, protein after etc etc. If anyone could elaborate on my diet that would also be great. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Just to add I do sometimes binge on chocolate and biscuits image
  • EDIT again sorry guys my 5 mile time was 33:45 not 32:45. It's this stupid phone I'm using.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

what do you want to do? Maintain overall fitness? Run fast over shorter distances? Maintain stamina over longer distances?

Without going into detail, I would think you're better staying as you are than running 3 miles every day.

But long term, you would improve on all aspects of your running by introducing runs of different lengths done at different paces, from a long slow run of maybe 10 miles to a sharp tempo run of 40 minutes down to interval sessions as simple as 10 60 second fast  sessions with 30 seconds of rest inbetween. You can rest after a hard session, you don't need to run every day or even every other day come to that.

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

Vary it all a bit .......do you run off road ?.........do any steep hill work?........I would drop a short speed run into your regime ,and if your not already go off road and up some hillsimage.........just don,t stick to the same routine week in week out .

• I have 2 5 mile routes of differing gradient and terrain so my mix is ok. I will however throw in some shorter/longer distances. My main goal is to basically retain my fitness and body composition. I would like to keep my body fat % down to a minimum and put on a bit of muscle.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I've been saying that for 30 years image