Worcester Half Marathon 2013

Have entered but it looks like I will have to consider transport options to the start.

Comments

• last year the race started late for the traffic going to the event, i got there in a taxi and it was about £15

• Hi guys thinking about running this one, what is it like? is it very hilly? Is there a issue with parking. Thank You image

• the race is pretty flat and fast, well organised though some mile markers went missing and runners didn't know how far to go.

parking was a problem last time but just because seems like drivers thought parking was free and didn't want to pay, so cars got jammed at the entrance, i got a taxi to get there instead

• Im thinking of entering too, how much is it to park?

• Think ill do this too. Only live in alvechurch but dont know the route at all. Any top tips? After yesterdays four laps on a disused airfield half marathon im looking forward to a bit more scenary!
  • I think the course is ok, no nasty hills etc. Have looked on OS map.

• I am also running this one and have googled the route on the Worcester half web site.

• It is a very good and rural route.  Undulating, with a couple of hills - certainly not flat!

• Really vic, ive just read a review saying its a PB course! Looking forward to it, hope the parkings a bit easier though. Think the markers got nicked last year too is that right?!
  • Free parking then this year, hope that solves the issues. I cant find the route with an elevation chart am I just being a muppet?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hmmm, i can only assume those saying this is flat did not run it last year. The first 3 miles are flat then you get hit with a steep hill and the course becomes undulating with about 2 other steep hills. However the last 2 miles are pretty much downhill, including one quite steep hill that you can really open up on and make up time. If you can hang onto your desired mile/min or thereabouts until mile 11 ish then you've done the hard work. Thats my recollection anyway! This is no more a pb course than kenilworth, Droitwich or any other rural race. Its certainly more interesting than 4 laps at long marston! It should be far more efficient this year being their second go at it. Lat year all the mile markers after about mile 5 were removed the night before and the parking situation was a nightmare. Hopefully they will have also introduced time markers in the start pen as its a narrow lane.

• My wife and I are having to bring the grandchildren with us, is there anything for the kids to do or will my wife be pulling her (grey) hair out when i get back?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Theres a david lloyd if you happen to be members, failing that your wife will be better off going off to worcester or droitwich and finding a park as based on last year there will be nothing there for kids. It supposed to be a nice and warmish day.

• Looking forward to this race, glad its not a flat boring one, I like a few hills, as you can make time up on the other side. Hope its not too warm though, few showers might be nice to cool us down. Good luck everyone Enjoy image

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, if you plan it right, get a good pace over first 3 miles, and have something left for last 2 then you will do fine. Wind might be a problem tomorrow though as it never seems to be an assisting one!!

•  South westerly wind tomorrow, as we are running in a figure Q sort of course we will get " some" assistence. 

All the best and I hope you get the times you have worked hard for.

• Really looking forward to this one now. Slated this last year but from the pre-race instructions they appear to have made some positive changes.
  • Just reading the instruction book whilst eating vital pre race malt loaf! Weather looks good, warmish. Debating shorts! Thanks for the heads up on the course darryll, won't be afraid to head out fast now knowing hills to come then a better finish. Ps ill be the one on my knees by mile ten!
  • Blimey that was tough!! Up and down whole asy and windy! But really enjoyed it.
  • Was it my imagination or was it 9 miles up hillish followed by 2 miles flat then 2miles down.image

• It was a hill right at very start then hill then hill then hill then little bit of flat then hill then lovely mile down hill then canal. Oh, don't forget coming round the last corner into massive headwind! Great race! Hilarious running at full pelt alongside someone doing the full marathon who was barely sweating at same pace!
  • It was a lot hillier than I remembered but I really enjoyed the challenge! Thought the organisation was excellent and much improved. I did feel for the full marathon runners when we all turned for home and they had to go another 15 miles up and down those hills again!!!
  • I agree with you all, a very challenging run, very undulating but quite a few long inclines/hills they appeared to be never ending until the last mile which was down hill at which my legs where heavy and i was sapped. Respect to those doing full Marathon image Overall great race, but disappointed wasnt medal.

• Not sure how this is voted as one of the top ten halfs? Not very scenic, noisy from the M5 and numerous cars traveling far too fast past competitors. Also, not that i do it for a medal i was disappointed to recieve just a t-shirt for my troubles and not even a goodybag (unless i missed them)?! 

However, the fact that ipods etc were not allowed resulted in some great conversations along the way. My actual highlight was the children giving out jelly beans at about eleven miles (much needed boost) and the final couple all down hill. Well organised, good parking and great encouragement from the locals.

• No showers, my grandchildren called me smelly on the way home.image

• Enjoyed the run, tried sticking with a PB pace but the wheels fell off a bit (well quite a lot) at about mile 9. It was tough but enjoyed it. Those hills and the wind all took its toll. 

I believe they didnt issue medals so that a technical tee shirt could be given out rather than a cotton one. 

Well done marshalls.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That was a tough run today. None of the hills seemed quite so bad last year with no wind! I did 4 minutes slower than i wanted and nearly 2 mins slower than last year, i shall blame the wind which i found particularly tough in first 3 miles. I was hanging at the 3 mile point having tried to fight the wind and hang on to my desired pace.

The goody bag situation was terrible. I have never done so much as a 10k and not been given some kind of fruit or energy bar. I am not really bothered about a medal and would rather have a proper technical tee as opposed a cheap cotton one.

We will be stronger for that one though!!

• Agree with you on the medal situation Darryll, I would rather have the techie TShirt than a cheap TShirt and medal.

How does everyone feel today.

Shame about the non existant goodie bag, would have liked a sandwich after running the half, as for the marathon runners out in a day like that, I am sure they would of liked something more.

• I'm not a fan of those t shirts, prob better for men than women? I'm amazed no goody bag, felt bit cheated about that but wonder if the money diverted to hospice? If so that's good obviously. Thought baggage awful. It said in the race pack that bags to be collected at finish on receipt of race number so I felt safe leaving bag with wallet and phone etc but when I got there they were just in a pile on floor to grab, no one at all even checking you were a runner let alone getting the right bag. Not good.

Quads feeling those hills today!