Sunday 10th March 2013

Morning, and Happy Mother's Day where appropriate!

Lyrics: Then why can't I paint you (second line as title is in the first!)

What: watching Trafford 10k so that will be a walk
Why: catch up with friends

Meant to comment on all the pics that have been sent, and wish I could do the same.

Go, racers, go, and I look forward to the reports!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - No Change by the Levellers.

Wabo - what schedule are you following?

A combination of snow and rain coming down here but not quite sleet if you know what I mean. Hope all the racers have better conditions. Looking forward to the reports. Vicarious running.

What:               nothing
    Why:                peak flow 330
    Last hard:         everything is hard
    Last rest:          it's all I do

Lyrics - not today.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Snow this morning, quite heavy at times and made the pavements very slippy.

13 miles in 1:40:11.  Not as fast as I'd hope but weather wasnt right for a proper blast and I did leave the house pre 7:30am!  

Enjoy your running wherever you are today.

Lyrics - naw!

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭

Donaldo: I would probably have had similar conditions underfoot if I went out as early as you. Snow/sleet had set on the cars, and one cyclepath bridge had melted ice or snow on it. Tricky.

LMH: oh dear. Time for change of treatment plan? I have no experience whatsoever with asthma, so no idea. But you certainly should have had plenty of rest by now...

Some good running yesterday, long or off road stuff. Nice!

What: 10.06M, at the usual 9-1 run-walk ratio, with 169-170BPM podrunner to keep me going

Why: repeating last week's schedule, trying not to damage anything

Last hard: Friday (this wasn't, strangely enough)

Last rest: Saturday

I decided to repeat last week's schedule, because in the past any weekly mileage over 20M would start to create trouble, so I prefer to err on the side of caution. I came home 2'21" faster than the same route last week, so I think I may safely add a few miles next week. Or a few kilos in the rucksack...

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Quiet on here today.

What: DIY
    Why: after 7 months living here we finally found curtains for our 4m long window.
    Last hard: the 2.5 hours spent in Ikea yesterday!

LMH ((()))
    Wabo some great running image
    Tine glad you are being careful, though sounds like it is working.

Snow here has just started.  I know the Cambridge half had snow though I don't know how much.  Wonder how 7D got on.

4 km easy (but quite fast) completed yesterday as recovery to Friday's long run. Hoping to get out again tomorrow, but depends on how much snow falls...

Have a good one all.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

City of salisbury 10m aim was sub 65 after yesterdays 22m, aim achieved with time to spare, legs are now officially tired. Finished in 69th from 417 in 64:30 - Splits are as follows (hills at 3 / 5 / 7) 6:22, 6:25, 6:32, 6:25, 6:40, 6:28, 6:29, 6:25, 6:24, 6:15, plus 2m warm up and 2 mile cool down, so a total of 14m for the day... good weekends training / racing. Jnr had a good race too (only his 2nd at 10m and did 66:XX)

Take care

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭

RFJ: nice!

Emzap: oh Ikea... 'nuff said. Hope the curtains make the house more like a home image

It is really cold, I just went into town with pa and ma beestie to get some lunch (nice bagels), and they have no inclination to get outside again. We saw a few snowflakes coming down. Apparently the year I was born the weather was similar in March, mum could not take me outside until well into May. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad again.

• Dry, clear and cold at 3 degrees down here. Breezy though: nose drippy weather.
    Mother's Day: family lunch at the Chinese. Ate far too much. Swim later will be an exercise in not drowning.
    Lyrics: nope for a few days on the trot.

• Back in B+B after Loch Katrine marathon.
    Never was going to be a PB course but completed (4h55) about 10 minutes over my expected. I wasn't last! Horizontal snow at start. Heavier horizontal snow just after finish. 2°C Snow showers throughout but blue skies and wonderful views too. Foot is achey but survived course.
    Well appreciated bowl of hot soup appreciated in front of log fire aprés run.

Long drive back tomorrow (~6h) but shorter ferry trip (1.5h).
    Quite heavy snow showers now but hopefully not enough to affect travelling tomorrow.

Plan to give foot a rest now and possibly consider change of running shoes (Little toe being turned in - I have broad feet)

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Good race RFJ, must be pleased with your weekends work.

Other half -w ell done indeed!  I had 13 miles along here in Dunblane so conditions at Loch Katrine must have been similarily wild at times. Great effort. image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

OH: extremely well done! Does NOT sound like my idea of fun!

Well done to RFJ too: that's a lot of miles this weekend.

Went to watch local 10k: 1 degree when I left the house, but the wind made it feel cooler. Walked for 1 hr 45, although could feel the calf all the time. Birks: had another long chat with Dr. Hill...I suspect that most people there have little idea of who he is, apart from a guy who has something to do with a brand of running gear! His books are currently on special offer: £70 for the first and £80 for the second! Recently they have been well over a £100 on ebay!

Well done on your runs Tine and Don.

Saw 7D's result: will be interested in his view!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Well done everybody especially RFJ, I can dream.
    10mm is the new 7mm in my world for the forseeable and happy enough with that at the Longleat Half today. Euphemistically described as undulating it was hillier than many hill runs I've done in the past. Nice even pacing HR sub 140 all the way, so a very good boy.
    Time to fess up: Had a bit of news in Jan I have a small cardio problem being investigated so GFA at London has flown out the window, but I should know more after Wed. In the meantime, training slashed back and speed slowed down, though still plodding on until I know the full story. Good to get ot in the cold and with lots of others, even if ironically at a BHF race!

Lyrics: Yup
    What: Half mara
    Why: Twas booked and I was determined
    Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: Friday

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

evening all, 
    well done OH, Stray and RFJ on your respective races
    Stray - hope its nothing too sinister

what - no running
    why - been in southampton since 7:45am , left at 5:30...hampshire swimming championships. Youngest had 8 races , 3 yesterday, 5 today.
    Best place of 4th in the 100 back, 5th in in the 50 'fly plus 4 more top 10s. 7 PBs in total. Too tired to pop out for a quick half hour
    last rest - running wise, today
    last hard - yesterdays mud

laters

• RFJ - great weekend - very good!

Other Half - congrats on finishing the marathon in such tough conditions.

Wabo - you are doing some good running at the moment - your marathon is looking good!

Nice work Donaldo!

Little Miss Happy - don't know much about peak flow, but hope you are back running soon.

What: 28.8km with 5.45km group - very glad to finish it. Managed to find shade most of the way, but pretty hot by the end of it.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Ale: Couldn't resist responding to your comments about Dr Ron. For me he's up there with my post adolescent heroes Bas Heatley, Brian Kilby, Bill Adcocks. Jim Alder and Jim Hogan. Hogan was a madman ...committed to the extreme. In some ways Dr Ron had a similar attitude....despite taking a very scientific and analytical approach to his running his fault (IMHO) was that he was very inflexible in his approach to running and didn't adapt well to changing circumstances both in training and racing. Notwithstanding that he's still a top man, you're very lucky to be a friend of his.

FWIW, my all time heros are Ron Clarke (simply the greatest runner ever) and Emil Zatopek (simply the finest person ever). I'm proud to have EZ's autograph...Pammie is a big fan of his and we both share a mutual admiration for the late great Mel Batty.

PS must look out my old 70s string vest...thats for that Doc!
  • TBH I quite enjoyed the conditions. The rate limiting factors were more my left foot and the "undulating" terrain

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Good evening. Lyrics: no, but I'm glad I've found out what you do if the first line is the title. image

Congratulations to the racers, especially OH, as that marathon sounds hardcore.

What: 19 miles, first half of which were into a nasty headwind blowing snow in my face.
    Why: it's Sunday.
    Last hard: depends how you define hard. Tuesday, probably.
    Last rest: Monday.