Virtual Routes Running on a treadmill - is this possible?

My treadmill isn't iFit compatible but the idea of being able to plot out a route on Google Maps and then running the route virtually really appeals to me. Does anyone know if there is anything similar available for non iFit compatible treadmills? I was perhaps thinking about say an iphone app where you plot a route, set the speed, start the app route going, then start running on the treadmill and the marker on the google map on screen moves at the appropriate speed on screen around the map - so that you virtually run any route.

Comments

• Not sure I understand that - you would be running up a 1 in 5 hill on your Goole map but the treadmill would still be at the same gradient as it always was 0% or 1% which are the normal 2 choices

• Something like this which lets you run a virtual route on your iphone (although you have to have a Runkeeper Elite account to plot routes):

http://runanywhereapp.com/
  • You can plot a route on google street view and let that run through.

Not sure how entertaining it is and you'd have to do the inclines yourself.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    One of the problems is that few treadmills have declines, and those that do are limited to about -3% so replicating hilly courses is never going to be true. Not aware of anything similar to iFit at present
  • I think the run anywhere app above is probably the closest thing to iFit. Agree about the inclines (and declines).

I believe that you can only plot out a route on street view and let it run through on a computer - not on an iphone. Plus setting the speed would be impossible I guess.

It was worth a look - probably the run anywhere app is currently the only way to do this.
  • Why run a virtual route? If you want to bang out a session on a treadie, do it on a treadie and take advantage of the features a treadie can offer - specific pace for specific periods, no wind resistance etc. If you want to run a "route" - go outside and run properly in the countryside with real fresh air.

• I have never run more than a 5K on treadmills previously but in the last year have got quite into them. Ideal if you have injuries and need to be careful. Handy in winter when going out at night is not much fun. Good if you are on-call and cannot be too far away from a computer. I also like the mental strength you need to use one.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Be careful when you reach a bend!