Monday 11th March 2011

Morning from a  snowy Erskine

Todays lyrics:Why, you wanna tell me how to live my life?

4M Steady and not a bad run.

Going for  a 'Closing Down' Meal organised by work tonight at 5:30 ! Think about 30 of us are going...

Lots to catch up on

Comments

• Morning.

Birks - hope it's a good do. How long do you have left? Snow on the ground here and more forecast - it's the middle of March!

SC  will be interesting to see if your pace/HR relationship changes with the period of base training. image Hope you get the news you want on Wednesday. From where I am at the moment being able to run at all looks good - though mine will hopefully pass at some point!

Sounds like you're back where you need to be for the marathon NZC. Peak flow wise it means that currently I'm able to access about 60% of my usual lung capacity.

Good parenting/swimming there Dustin.

OH - sounds as though you should stop on the way home and get his n hers x-rays!

What:                back to the docs
    Why:                 peak flow 330; RHR up 15 bpm
    Last hard:          being ill for this long
    Last rest:           it's not actually very restful

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hello,
    birks - enjoy the 'do'
    good long runs there NZC, Literatin (mustve missed someone?)
    what - 6 miles
    why - steady run, make up for yesterday's blank, but with one eye on club session tomorrow, HalfM on Sunday...
    last rest - yesterday
    last hard - saturday

lyric - nagging at me...

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Beautiful crisp dry sunny day...although I suspect it is rather cold! Don't intend to find out for a while.

Yesterday's lyrics: "If", as in "If a picture paints a thousand words". Originally by Bread but covered by various others including Telly Savalas.

What: A decent walk, plus stretches/strengthening
    Why: Can't run again!

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning.

What: depends on the road conditions
    Why: snowed a lot here and don't want to fall if the paths aren't clear yet
    Lyrics: nope

Birks hope the leaving meal goes well.  Any luck with the job hunting?
    LMH hope the doc can help in some wa

There's a trial HM for the Kassel marathon this Sunday.  Would like to do it (it's in pacing groups, so won't be a race) but I need to work out how to register, or if I actually need to register.  Would be good training.

Have a good one all.

• Good morning all. Currently sat in my friend's lounge in Cambridge so I might not go heavily into detail as he could ask for his laptop back any minute.

Cambridge Half yesterday. Fair to say the race I've looked forward to the most in my short racing career; a chance to meet old friends and run through the streets of the town I spent a year grumpily treading to get books from the countless libraries and shops. The course itself not only passed my old college, but my former house and the residencies of a dozen friends, some of whom were around to cheer me on.

The weather was less than ideal: sleeting from 9pm the previous evening. The base temperature was alright for running though. Organisation was a wee bit chaotic compared to the immaculate Dutch races I've done but otherwise I got in a decent warm-up and felt prepared enough. The previous Saturday I'd done a 5k in 19.25 so I was at the kind of speed I can do in spite of the little injuries I'd had, so felt okay aiming for sub-1hr 29 (PB: 1.29.50, half of the race on sand).

I left my watch at home. Checked in with a runner next to me at 3 miles and the pace was good, perhaps a little quick but not insane at 19.30. Similarly the official 6 mile split had me at 38.52 and I was feeling good - the 10k equivalent was exactly the same pace as my PB effort - 40.50.

All of these good signs made me wonder exactly why I crumbled so spectacularly down the last 7.1 miles. I'd made a decision to get to six at a cruise and then kick on: every time I attempted to, I couldn't and I would mentally delay the charge for another mile. At 10 miles the 90 min pacers strolled past and I began to suspect something was wrong.

• The hamstring I injured felt fine, but runners were streaming past me as I ran through the town centre, slowing all the while. Had a minor panic when the 12 mile sign went AWOL, leading me to believe that my pace had slowed so much that getting to 12 miles from 11 was taking 10+ minutes. 

My friends cheered me down the final stretch as I managed a weak sprint, coming home in 92.06, experiencing a real wave of disappointment. I rationalised quickly that i. the injuries had taken their toll on the most crucial block of training ii. perhaps I had gone off a little adventurously in the spirit of being so excited and iii. it was hurting to walk and I'd cramped up twice, so maybe the conditions were affecting me.

Right now I have a strange pain in my left leg, on the inside just above the knee. Walking feels a little like dragging an ocean liner. I think I'm okay but I probably won't run again until Heptonstall on Sunday, which I won't be taking anywhere nearly as seriously in terms of pace.

A few lessons learned the hard (and expensive) way for me then. Sad that I couldn't break PB on a friendly, fast course, but if you'd said two years previous when I was 90lbs heavier and idling in the college bar that I'd be on the streets running a 1hr 32 half then I'd have laughed in your face.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Great report, 7D: sometimes we just don't feel right on the day and can never really put our fingers on why! And you put it into nice perspective in your last paragraph! That is some weight loss! Are you aiming to lose a hundred for a nice round figure?!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

7D Wow, 90 lbs in 2 years is amazing!  Well done for racing yesterday, like you say, you have been injured and sometimes things just don't come together on race day. 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

7D - still a great time, and as you rationalise, you've made huge strides (pardon the pun) in 2 years.
    Mark this one down to (in)experience, and look forward. You'll soon be targetting 1h25..

• Blimey 7d - that is a huge lifestyle change. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Hope the legs recover quickly and you're not coming down with something.

Doctor has put me on high dose antibiotics and a course of oral steroids and given strict instructions for me to return if I'm not feeling 'much better' in 48 hours. Hopeful of being ok for an easy run at Ashby on Sunday.

• Little Miss Happy - how far is Ashby? Hope you will be o'kay.

7 daughters - sounds like you ran yourself out. You must be still very happy with your result. Well done.

What: 6km in Cornwall Park this afternoon - still very hot.  

• I'll trade your very hot for our snow NZC image Ashby is 20 miles.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

lyrics are familiar...

have a nice meal birkmyre

lmh, blimey, poor you, wish you better hope the meds kick in quick

7d, sorry you didnt get what you wanted but you are looking at it all in a really good way, cup half full way, much admiration!

what: track run later, cooper test I think

why: coach says

last hard: saturday morning 18 miles

last easy: friday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Cooper test is hard, Wabo, and don't envy you doing it in these conditions. Make sure you warm up well!

Change of plan here: not working today so phoned Qof P on the off chance of an appointment, and just back: she was pleased with calf progress, but not pleased enough to suggest any running. It will probably be another week, and certainly won't be whilst it is this cold!

LMH: hope the meds have an impact sooner rather than later, although if it is a typical 5 daycourse of oral steroids like prednisolone I find it isn't until towards the end of the course that you start to feel noticeably (but suddenly) better. Don't go failing your random drugs test!

Need some NZC heat right now! Would be good for my calf!

• It is Alehouse. Hoping that the antibiotics make a quicker difference (though not entirely convinced they're warranted wasn't going to say 'no' in case!). I think some warmth would be good for all of us.

• LM.H :-P

What: driving home bright with snow on hills (less as we go north)

Why: work tomorrow

Last rest: Saturday

Last hard: Sunday

Lyrics: no

Hope the treatment helps LM.H

Still a good time 7D, but the feel good factor always helps
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

lmh, I am on a RW schedule for sub 4.15, 5 runs  a week

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

7D, cracking report.  

I had a 4 mile XC run today.  Took it easy and took the camera... and the dog. 

Will post pics a little later! image

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

So, had some nice views of the Sherrifmuir hills above Dunblane.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/donaldshaw/IMG_2443_zps336b5b1b.jpg

Passing by a wee pond.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/donaldshaw/IMG_2444_zpsd77f249b.jpg

The sun still bright even at half 5.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/donaldshaw/IMG_2445_zps852267fc.jpg

And finally, returning my school, looking lovely in the evening sunshine.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu336/donaldshaw/IMG_2446_zps69a9eed4.jpg

Nice part of the world to live/run. image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

If a picture paints a thousand words....nice one Don!

• Very nice Donaldo.

Wabo - you really are going well - keep it up.

alehouse/little miss happy - I'd love to send you this hot weather we've been having - I'd love to be doing a long run in long sleeves and legging, not shorts, singlet, cap, sun screen and tipping water over my head when I get so hot! I think these garmins should record body temperature as wellimage

little miss happy - do you think 20 miles is a good idea? 

• I'm not planning on racing it NZC - I shall run to HR and just use it as a LSR - assuming I'm ok to run by then. It will only be two weeks since my last 20 miler so as long as I'm well enough I don't think it should be an issue. I cope much better with heat than cold - maybe we should swap!

It does indeed look like a lovely part of the world to live and run in donaldo - we were very grey at 1730hrs with this snow.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

nice and jealous now Donaldo.....

Rest day here as pooped....

Back to the heavy training tomorrow

Take care

• LMH, I’m sure that the antibiotics will give it a big hit, (probably with a runny tummy side effect) but please persevere and finish the course. The medics are forecasting greater incidence of antibiotic resistant strains of disease.

Dustin, taper nerves yet?

Ale’ouse. I can confirm that it was cold. Especially so when stood on top of a concrete plant in the open countryside. Apparently 0 degrees, but feels like -7 with the wind chill effect. Well, it felt colder than that.

7D. Great race report, and a sanguine review of the aftermath. Did it not twig that reaching the 10k point in 10k pb pace might have meant that the next 10k were going to be a bit of a challenge? It’s OK, we’ve all done it several times. However, it was still a cracking time for a “disaster”, especially when you drop into conversation that you have lost between a third and a half of your body weight.

Donaldo. Fantastic photos, and a reminder why folks in the North like it there.

NZC. We are jealous.

Training for me? Not being a great fan of freezing to death, I chose the garage. It was still as cold, but I’m learning that I can peel layers off as appropriate without getting them damp. I ended up in T shirt and shorts, with the gloves last to be ditched. The net result was 90 minutes on the turbo bike (the old hack). That was a pleasing result, as I’ve not been doing enough.

Lyrics? No.