Spitting??

2»

Comments

• I hate spitting normally but I will admit to having a bit of a spit on a run. I always have a good look round and make sure theres no one around and no cars coming.

A massive fly went in my mouth the other day at running club so I spat in the hedge, more as a reaction and to get the bloody thing out to be honest!! The others asked if I was ok and I explained what happened but I did feel very embarrased about spitting in front of them. Every time I go now I feel like I should keep saying "I don't normally spit!!! I'm not dirty!!"

• Good to the sensible posters have come in at the end.

Spit if you need to - use discretion. Usually only happens to me if i have a cold, usually you get a dry mouth from running and don't need to anyway!!

• I don't think ladies should spit. Especially pretty ones. It looks indecorous.
  • Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
    I don't think ladies should spit. Especially pretty ones. It looks indecorous.

Why should anyone care what you think?

If I spit when I run and someone takes offense, I couldn't give a flying f**k in all honesty.

• I hate it, it's a filthy habit... That I cannot stop doing in my training runs.

Thankfully I only seem to do it on my own, so have managed not to spit on anyone else!!!image

It happens less then it used to but on some runs a girl just has to do what a girl has to do... Spit a lotimage
  • I think its a dirty habit that has crept into society and totally unacceptable. If most peeps don't do it when in company and in front of anyone and can wait until there is no one looking,  then there is no obvious need to do it at all. 

I am personally disgusted by the amount of gob which is spat everywhere. I have been running with a stinking cold and runny nose and just bring a handful of tissues 

I suppose its a bit like farting! Do you let go in company? then again that's a whole new debate...

• Do peeps spit on the treadmill in the gym...?

Then again I suppose real runners don't use treadmillsimage

• Last Saturday on a parkrun a guy 10 yards in front spat on the floor and for a reaon unknown to me I did the same almost in the same spot. I have absolutely no idea why I did it.

I do normally spit while running, but only alone on country roads.

• Only ok if no one around I say.
  • In the past spitting was quite widespread, some pubs would have spittoons into which people were encouraged to spit rather than on the floor.  As society became aware of the connection between the desease TB and spitting, then it became less acceptable: buses, public buildings, swimming baths would have signs saying no spitting, in France "defense de crache".  School kids are injected to stop them getting TB and the killer disease has almost gone, certainly it has left the public consciousness.  However with not all children being injected (for whatever reason) TB is on the rise and the growing acceptability of spitting represents a potential health issue in years to come.

I have on occasions had to spit; fly in the mouth, stung on the lip.  But, other than in an emergency I think it is unnecessary, unpleasant for others and ultimately a selfish and anti-social action.  If I am unwell, or covering a long distance I carry tissues.  Again in emergencies I have also blown my nose on my shirt (but that is my business and does not affect others).

However this is trivial when we consider the number of runners who urinate (and worse) inappropriately and willy-nilly.  I have seen large numbers using public green space next to pavements in a City Centre, while they were walking to the start line, having left the portaloos a few yards behind at the pre race Assembly point.  And that was only a Half Marathon.

These unnecessary behaviours will give runners a bad name and in some cases gives local communities reason to object to future events.

• Running Kev wrote (see)
    Only ok if no one around I say.

My point exactly if you hold off when others are around then you can choose not to spit at all.

I agree with you Canute at some of our local races they have had to ask runners not to pee all over the village as rightly so locals didn't like runners urinating in their gardens or nearby.

• Oh, yes! I have watched runners piss on villages and cities all over Britain!

• Canute wrote (see)

In the past spitting was quite widespread, some pubs would have spittoons into which people were encouraged to spit rather than on the floor.  As society became aware of the connection between the desease TB and spitting, then it became less acceptable: buses, public buildings, swimming baths would have signs saying no spitting, in France "defense de crache".  School kids are injected to stop them getting TB and the killer disease has almost gone, certainly it has left the public consciousness.  However with not all children being injected (for whatever reason) TB is on the rise and the growing acceptability of spitting represents a potential health issue in years to come.

There's also the fact that the vaccine is only something like 50% effective.

I'm not a big fan of spitting, I think it's quite disgusting. But then I almost never need to spit while running or otherwise, so maybe I just don't understand what it's like.

• Swallow it and keep hydrated !!! 

As for spitting in the gym, would you like someone to spit on your lounge floor?

• Spitting, yes. Urinating, no.
  • So you guys spit inside a gym when on a treadmill? Really?

Not very nice is it inside someones gym.

Outside on the roads or park fair enough but not indoors leaving someone else to clean it up - disgusting if you ask me.

• Catalin Bond wrote (see)

There's also the fact that the vaccine is only something like 50% effective.

I didn't know that.   That is very scarry!  Definitely no spitting please... I don't wish to die young (well middle aged then).

• Ok, younger than I would have.

• JJ8 I think you've misread a post. No one is saying it's okay to spit on a treadmill in a gym.
  • K80 maybe i did K80 image

• is it okay for anyone to spit? 

i'm a girl, i spit when running , i am rather impressed that i can spit a remarkable distance  - which is actually  quite gross image

sometimes i spit badly and i gob on my shoe, and think to myself that i deserved it for spitting lol 

yeah germs and all that  - its not a great idea really 

i wouldn't pee while out running, TBH its tricky for girls to pee outside discretely 

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

no. it is NOT ok for girls to spit whilst running. thats uneccessary

• Runners on a threadmill don't spit, but it is a controlled area, if you are in the streets and you get your nose stuffed it is probably due to runners sinus or outdoor allergy, it will stop you from breathing regularly.

If you first instinct is to spit, do it, that's what your body is telling you to do, don't spit on others face though.

Spit with class, be a classy spitter.

Good luck and have fun.

• To please certain previous posters. Ladies should never spit, or shoot snot rockets. If possible, no, always, do that swingy arm girly run and let the boys win because you should really be at home talking about hair and boys.

Now in the real world. Spit in front of you or into a hedge. Snot rocket one nostril at a time. But never EVER fart while running.

Unless you shout "FIRE IN THE HOLE" first.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Now that post needs a "like" button image