The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• Malcs wrote (see)

The rugby this afternoon is what has become known as the 'marriage splitter'. Scotland vs Wales. Only one of us will come out of it smiling.

I imagine it's tense in the Malcs household this evening! Bragging rights to Mrs. Malcs for the next few months! I'm sure this could never be as bad as hearing constant shouts of U.S.A.....U.S.A.......U.S.A.......which I had to deal with when the Olympics were on. Luckily I get another 3 years before having to hear them again! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

I imagine it's tense in the Malcs household this evening! Bragging rights to Mrs. Malcs for the next few months! I'm sure this could never be as bad as hearing constant shouts of U.S.A.....U.S.A.......U.S.A.......which I had to deal with when the Olympics were on. Luckily I get another 3 years before having to hear them again! image

Ha! Yes, a little frosty. To be honest, I think I handle losing better than she does so it's best this way round.

Have you introduced Mrs Shady to the Ryder Cup?image

Are you looking forward to tomorrow's 20.5 miler? Must be nice knowing that it's all downhill from there onwards. Judging by Spitfire you're on great form going into the taper. 

I didn't manage my 20.27 today. My son was doing a X-Country schools race at Crystal Palace so my plan was to run into London and back out, landing at CP just in time to see him go off. Unfortunately I was a bit late leaving so had to cut out a couple of miles so I could get there in time. Still 18 miles in the bag which went very nicely. Finally that leg soreness that I used to get at 15 miles has been eradicated. That Sam Murphy was right again! image

I did make one major error - there is a reason they put the Crystal Palace transmitter where it is. A mile and a bit of uphill is not the best end to a long run!

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Ha! Yes, a little frosty. To be honest, I think I handle losing better than she does so it's best this way round.

Have you introduced Mrs Shady to the Ryder Cup?image

Are you looking forward to tomorrow's 20.5 miler? Must be nice knowing that it's all downhill from there onwards. Judging by Spitfire you're on great form going into the taper. 

I didn't manage my 20.27 today. My son was doing a X-Country schools race at Crystal Palace so my plan was to run into London and back out, landing at CP just in time to see him go off. Unfortunately I was a bit late leaving so had to cut out a couple of miles so I could get there in time. Still 18 miles in the bag which went very nicely. Finally that leg soreness that I used to get at 15 miles has been eradicated. That Sam Murphy was right again! image

I did make one major error - there is a reason they put the Crystal Palace transmitter where it is. A mile and a bit of uphill is not the best end to a long run!

Best of luck tomorrow!

18 isn't that much shorter that 20.27! Plus that climb in Crystal Palace is worth 10 times the actual distance, so that brings you in smack on target! It's probably for the best actually seeing you've done 20 the previous 2 weeks. 

I have indeed introduced Mrs. Shady Ady to the Ryder Cup. She was actually so appalled by the behaviour of the American golf fans, that she has permanently switched allegiances to being a Euopean fan. Sadly this is only for golf. I'm working on every other sport! When she gets her Britsh passport, I think she thinks that gives her the right to switch allegiances whenver there is a need in order to support the best team.....clever thinking........I think that's the only reason she married me! image

I hope your sons cross-country went well. Do you ever go running with your son? I want to be the dad with the proud son or daughter who wears my medal at the finish and thinks I must be amazing seeing I have a medal........obviously this naivety will wear off at the age of two and they realise everyone gets a medal!

I am looking forward to getting my longest run out of the way. The guy I'm running with ran London last year in 3:17 with minimal training, so I'm going to have to try and coax him into running much slower than that. Either that, or I'll go off to fast to keep up with him and end up blowing up halfway around! 

Hopefully that soreness will stay away!

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Friday 8th March 2013

7:50am - Breakfast - Jordan's Country Crisp Chunky Nut cereals w/ semi-skimmed milk. Cup of tea

10:30am - Alpen granola bar, pint of squash, cup of tea

1:45pm - Lunch - Singaporean noodles (thought they tasted a little raw - I only realised after I'd eaten them that they needed cooking first!) with smoked salmon. Slice of tiger loaf bread. Pint of squash

2:30pm - Pint of water

3:30pm - Cup of tea, tangerine

5:00pm - Cross-training - 35 mins on exercise bike (see earlier for full description)

6:30pm - Dinner - Lobster (only £5 from Morrisons, which was enough basically for two mouthfuls!) and slice of tiger loaf bread, egg noodles in lobster broth (made from the lobster shell). Pint of squash

8:30pm - Yoghurt with a handful of nuts and berries, cup of tea.

9:30pm - Pint of squash

10:00pm - Glass of water

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    I've just got in from my first 20miler. I'm off work the week after next so the Monday I'm going to do my last long run in Bois de Boulogne (I live near by). I have no real plan for tapering, probably pinch ideas from Steve and Mel's schedules.

Funny reading about Mrs Shady and Mrs Malcs. There is a fight in my house when England play France, my better half wants to turn the telly off. She doesn't like to watch sport, but she'll make an exception on the 7th.

Ruth - congratulations on number 4. Yes I'm forum hopping. If you have 3 children, no wonder you know your stuff on gels and sports drinks. I'm worn out with just 2 scallywags, I have thought about taking gels when my wife works late. I bet your children eat their greens. I know you've been working hard to find.a.restaurant.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I'm doubled booked but it should be a problem as you're eating for 2. All the best. image
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    PC91 wrote (see)
    Funny reading about Mrs Shady and Mrs Malcs. There is a fight in my house when England play France, my better half wants to turn the telly off. She doesn't like to watch sport, but she'll make an exception on the 7th.

Ha image I suppose I should be grateful that I have a rugby mad missus. You'rre doing Paris too right? I saw you on the Paris thread - in fact I just replied to one of your posts. 

Sam - good luck in the Grizzly today, sounds like a tough one! Which marathon are you doing in July?

Ady - take it easy today and show that final LSR who's boss. Good to hear you have company. I hope your Malcs replacement will be shaving his head and talking nonsense the whole way roundimage

• Day 84 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (10/03/13)

Target: 20.5 miles easy

Actual: 21.02 in 3:03:08 @ 8:43m/m (Sorry Sam....this was an accidental over run!)

My last proper LSR before Paris done and dusted, and very happy to get this completed before the tapering begins.

After the success of running with Malcs last weekend, I had the pleasure of drafting in a replacement Malcs for my run today. It's very rare I get the offer of someone offering their services to join me on my long runs, so I chomped at the offer before he could retract it. My only concern was the fact he normally runs around 3:15 for a marathon and my run today was supposed to be 'easy'. I was slightly worried my speed would be a bit too slow for him!

Even with the gloom, freezing temperatures and chilling wind I was actually looking forward to today's run. I was turning my back on my normal monotonous 'A' road pavement run and venturing to the home of the Wombles and Wimbledon Common, followed by a loop of Richmond Park, my old stomping ground.

I decided to make it an early start to try and replicate Paris. Not so early so I didn't get a lie in at all. I questioned this decision on the run to the train station in order to catch my train to Wimbledon. My friend was already there, and we started immediately. We must have had more rain than I remembered recently, as Wimbledon Common was virtually all puddles and mud. It was also nice to be running trails and off-road instead of pavement. Trail and off-road probably formed 75% of today's run, which added a nice additional challenge, considering the slower pace I needed to run at.

Richmond Park has to be one of my favourite places to run. Today it was full of runners. It also has some tasty hills, probably the best hills I've rain in training so far. I might make a few more trips to Richmond Park in the next few weeks so the flatness of Paris will be a welcome change!

It's amazing how quicker a run goes by when you have company. The lap of Richmond Park was over in no time and it was back through Wimbledon Common towards Wimbledon. Two laps of Richmond Park would have been perfect to get my miles in, but I thought it a bit rude to desert my friend, who was only running 15 miles today. Instead I ran towards his home, thanked him for his kind companionship, and then ran back up to Wimbledon Park to complete my mileage. Not knowing the area very well and focusing on the streets full of pedestrians rather than how far I'd ran when passing the train station again meant I over ran slightly.

I took a gel every 45 mins today and had only two sips of water for the duration. I think because I hydrated well yesterday and how cold it was, I didn't feel the need to drink today at all. I also felt I could have continued without having the third gel. Even with the hills and running on trails, the pace was very comfortable and even in the latter stages, it didn't feel like I was having to push at all to keep the pace going.

I forgot to change the settings on my Garmin again to add laps, but when looking at my watch regularly throughout the run, from the 3rd mile onwards, it seemed it didn't fluctuate at all from around 8:45m/m. It's strange to think that this speed is only slightly slower than my current marathon PB and that I felt comfortable carrying on at this speed as I wasn't feeling like I was starting to tire.

The only downside was having to wait to catch a train back home, covered in mud, salt and smelling of a combination of Vaseline, deep heat and man sweat! It's no wonder people avoided me like they would a drunk homeless man! It's a good job I didn't have long to wait for a train, as I think standing around in wet clothes in freezing temperatures would have seen my body temperature drop quickly.

Now my last long run is out of the way with, I feel I can start concentrating finally on Paris now!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/282702462#

• Well done Ady! Almost there now, you must be full of confidence after today image
  • Congratulations on your last LSR before paris. You looked like you ran it well. Did Sam say why she would prefer you to do your longest run 4 weeks out rather than three weeks out at all?

I dont normally buy two pairs of trainers at the same time but they were on offer so I jumped at the chance (£35 each!!!), and I had wore the same make and model before and they were perfect.

Im going to be having shot blocks as I quite like them (but will hate them by the time ive finished london). Im going to have one at 2,4 and 6 miles and then two jelly babies at 8 and then repeat the cycle until mile 24. I tried this up to mile 16 on friday and found it ok.

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Saturday 9th March 2013

8:30am - Breakfast - Jordan's Country Crisp Chunky Nut cereals w/ semi-skimmed milk. Cup of tea, glass of squash

10:00am - 10km run (see earlier for full description), pint of squash afterwards.

2:30pm - Lunch - TGI Fridays (at the request of Mrs. Shady Ady, where we shared the restaurant with Liam Heath - the Olympic Canoeist Bronze Medallist who was doing a photo session with his medal. After 10 minutes of searching on Google to find out who he was, it turns out he was a bartender here before Lottery Funding kicked in!). Chicken Quesadilla and rice, 3 glasses of Diet Coke.

4:30pm - Large green tea.

6:30pm - Dinner - Avocado, ham and cheese sandwich. A few olives

7:00pm - A few Maltesers, a pint of squash, and then a few more Maltesers

8:30pm - Yoghurt with a handful of nuts and berries, cup of tea.

9:45pm - Pint of squash

10:00pm - Glass of water

• PC91 wrote (see)
    I've just got in from my first 20miler. 

I hope the first 20 miler went well! I only got my first proper 20 miler in today as well, so very happy to have that now!

Malcs wrote (see)

Ady - take it easy today and show that final LSR who's boss. Good to hear you have company. I hope your Malcs replacement will be shaving his head and talking nonsense the whole way roundimage

I'm afraid he hadn't shaved his head or talk nonsense, but as it was the first time we've ran together, I decided to let him off with a warning! image. I like to think I showed the final LSR who's boss, but feeling the aches coming on now, I think it might have had the last laugh! At least tomorrow is a scheduled rest day!

Paulo83 wrote (see)
    Well done Ady! Almost there now, you must be full of confidence after today image

Hey Paulo....it's getting in to the final stages now for sure. It feels strange the journey is coming to an end now. I wouldn't say full of confidence just yet, but definitely content. I've tried to follow everything set out so far and given it my best shot, There's still another 4 weeks of training to go though, so still time for more improvement. I'd still like to lose another 5lbs or so before race day. We shall see!

How's your training going? Are you over your injury now?

• sarah osborne wrote (see)

Congratulations on your last LSR before paris. You looked like you ran it well. Did Sam say why she would prefer you to do your longest run 4 weeks out rather than three weeks out at all?

I dont normally buy two pairs of trainers at the same time but they were on offer so I jumped at the chance (£35 each!!!), and I had wore the same make and model before and they were perfect.

Im going to be having shot blocks as I quite like them (but will hate them by the time ive finished london). Im going to have one at 2,4 and 6 miles and then two jelly babies at 8 and then repeat the cycle until mile 24. I tried this up to mile 16 on friday and found it ok.

Hey Sarah......You can't turn down a deal like that on the trainers. I should think ahead more like that!

I like your fuelling strategy. They shouldn't be too difficult to carry either being that size. I looooooove jelly babies, but not sure how they would work taking them along with the gels as well. I think now I'll just be sticking to the gels, which I've become accustomed to. 

I'm not sure why Sam has the longest run at 4 weeks out rather than 3. I remember her saying that she preferred it like this. I have no complaints with this though. I've done two 20 milers in a row now, so I'm happy with this. Next week should still be a good 16 miles or so I think looking at the training plan.

I hope your trainers aren't causing as much grief for you now and you enjoyed your Mothers Day run with your mum! 

• Week 12 Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training Round-up (W/ Ending 10/03/13):

Day 78 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (04/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest

Day 79 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (05/03/13)

Target: 4 mile jog @ 9:00 - 9:40

Actual: 4.22 miles in 37:05 @ 8:47m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 8:51m/m. 2nd @ 8:56m/m. 3rd @ 8:54m/m. 4th @ 8:51m/m. Last 0.22 miles @ 6:57m/m

Day 80 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (06/03/13)

Target: 5 mile comfortable @ 7:50 - 8:50

Actual: 5.20 miles in 39:53 @ 7:40m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 7:46m/m. 2nd @ 7:47m/m. 3rd @ 7:39m/m. 4th @ 7:44m/m. 5th mile @ 7:40m/m.  Last 0.20 miles @ 6:31m/m

Day 81 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (07/03/13)

Target: 5 x 1 mile at 6.55-7.05 pace with 2.5 minute recovery plus w-up/c-down (8.5 miles)

Actual: 5 x 1 mile at 6:55m/m - 7:05m/m with 2.5 minute recovery plus w/up and c/down - total of 8.74 miles in 1:12:57 @ 8:21m/m

Mile Splits: 1st @ 6:59m/m. 2nd @ 6:46m/m. 3rd @ 6:54m/m. 4th @ 6:49m/m. 5th mile @ 6:54m/m. 

Day 82 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (08/03/13)

Target: Rest or cross-training

Actual: 11.54miles in 35 minutes on exercise bike on hill setting.

Day 83 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (09/03/13)

Target: 6 miles steady @ 7:20m/m - 7:45m/m

Actual: 6.26 miles in 46:51 @7:29m/m

Day 84 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (10/03/13)

Target: 20.5 miles easy

Actual: 21.02 in 3:03:08 @ 8:43m/m (Sorry Sam....this was an accidental over run!)

Target: 44 miles

Actual: 45.44 miles

I think I can safely say this has been my highest mileage week of any marathon training I have ever done.  To be honest, it hasn’t felt as bad as I thought it would. At the start of training I was a little daunted to see I’d be running this mileage, but now I’ve ran it, I know I shouldn’t worry about doing it again in the future. Plus I still have 2 rest days a week to recover from the increase in mileage.

It was nice to get a good LSR completed now and hopefully with the reduction in mileage, it will give my legs chance to recover now and mean the next time I run over 20 miles in a run again, I won’t be doing it on tired legs!

• This is my mileage plan for Week 13 (taken from Sam's post earlier): After 45 miles last week, 33 should seem nice and relaxing in comparison!

Week 13 w/c 11th March (3 WEEKS OUT)
    Monday REST
    Tuesday REST or 4 mile jog
    Wednesday 6 mile OUT AND BACK - 8.15-8.30 ON WAY OUT – 7.45-8 ON WAY BACK
    Thursday 5 mile comfortable PLUS 3 ACCEL STRIDES
    Friday REST
    Saturday 4 miles steady
    Sunday OFF ROAD RUN 2 HOURS comfortable (not extreme terrain – just softer/more varied underfoot)
    MILEAGE 33

• Week 12 Weight Loss Watch!

Starting Weight: 162.8lbs (Target Weight: 148lbs)

Weight After Week 1: 162.2lbs (-0.6lbs) (Xmas Parties!)

Weight After Week 2: 161.9lbs (-0.3lbs) (Xmas!)

Weight After Week 3: 160.7lbs (-1.2lbs) (New Year!)

Weight After Week 4: 159.2lbs (-1.5lbs)

Weight After Week 5: 158.0lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 6: 156.2lbs (-1.8lbs)

Weight After Week 7: 155.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 8: 155.0lbs (-0.8lbs)

Weight After Week 9: 154.4lbs (-0.6lbs)

Weight After Week 10: 153.2lbs (-1.2lbs)

Weight After Week 11: 152.8lbs (-0.4lbs)

Weight After Week 12: 152.4lbs (-0.4lbs)

Total Loss: 10.4lbs

I’m definitely falling behind my goal of getting down to 148lbs for the start line in Paris. Even with the increased mileage, it seems to be getting harder to lose weight now. This could easily have something to do with the extra food I’ve been eating recently, as I always seem to be hungry now!

As long as there’s a reduction though, I’m still going in the right direction. I'll save the lycra pictures for another time.....there's been enough of those posted on here already!

• Hi Shady Ady!  Well done on your biggest mileage week, and your fab weightloss! Great job!

• Hi shady

Just wanted to delurk and tell you what a fab read your board is and how much I have enjoyed your progress in running and leanness. In view of the fact the mileage will be coming down and how keen you are to get to the magic 148 pounds have a read of this:

http://www.neelsagar.co.uk/cereal-nutrition/

I think it's what Ruth eluded to earlier. Pesky special offers! Blooming tasty though!! I'm currently trying to ignor Thornton's chocs and son's birthday cake. I'll never get to my racing weight....

Enjoy all the coming weeks and the marathon itself and keep posting.

• Malcs- are you the Welsh half? I think you must beimage

• PC91 - Not sure what I am doing having another one but hey life's an adventure so just thought I would check it out with one moreimage

• Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Nothing to worry about regaridng the Alpen muesli bars......they're only 120 calories a pop! I'll stick to just the one a day though!

I must say I wasn't aware the race started so early. That's earlier that the Parkruns, and I know I find them a struggle at that time. I'll definitely have to get up before 6am on race day.

I'lll probably go for a jam sandwich on race day for the snack after breakfast. This is what I had for the half when we practised the race strategy. 

Regarding gels.........I'm using SIS Isotonic Go Gels..........this don't contain caffeine. Do you want one of my gels to contain caffeine on raceday. I haven't used any that contain caffeine in the last few long runs and I'm not sure I'd be wanting to change now either?

It's nice that the water stations aren't every mile as this would cause a lot of congestion. Unless I'm feeling like I'm in desperate need of extra energy, then I won't touch anything I haven't pracrised with. Even though I've had Powerade before many times, I might stick to the water, as I did this at Spitfire and it didn't bother me at all having only water.

Thanks for the comment regaridng my weight loss. If my weight loss does start to stagnate in the next week or two, do you have any tips of how to re-ignite it again, or would you not be so bothered pushing for this with it being so close to race day? I'm tempted to bring in a few minutes of quick burst weight work in the evening

I thought you meant cereal, not  a bar but yes agree one a day is enough.

The fact you are eating so late on the Friday means you do need a snack so instead of a supper snack you perhaps shoudl consider a snack at around 6pm so a jam sandwich (bring from home in foil) or  a few jaffa cakes and a sugar containing cordial or soft drink would be fine - need to plan to have this and not rely on what you might or night not get at expo.

Jam sandwich perfect as snack before race - this is what you have practiced so stick with this and no caffeine gels in race , I think  you need to stick to what has been practised - much safer!

Your weight loss has not stopped so don't worry but when the milage starts to come down towards taper I will be making far more comments on food diaries and so forth. Just keep focused and just think before you eat ...do I need this?

• I wouldn't worry too much about the weight loss. You've probably already lost your target weight in fat but gained weight in muscle! At least you can tell yourself that even if its not true!

I'm not "over" my calf injury but I am able to run again. I did 16 at the weekend which felt ok. I'm just having to avoid doing any more speed work as I really feel the calf then! My run was snowed off today so I got on the bike indoors instead!

Do you have a belt for carrying your gels? If so, which one have you gone for? It's so much nicer running with a friend isn't it?! It's just not that easy finding someone else at the same pace though. All of my training has been solo but I'm hoping to do one of my taper runs with a friend.

How long do you plan to rest after the marathon before working towards your next goal? I'm considering doing the sussex marathon weekender. http://www.nice-work.org.uk/events.php?id=59. A marathon spread across three days!
  • Shady_Ady wrote (see)
    Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

Hi Ady

Glad to hear that your injury free now and over the niggles. Well done on the continued weight loss. 

I just thought that a 20 week plan would allow for any missed sessions if illness or injury strikes. It also gives me more room to play around with different sessions I want to incoporate. 

Thanks Sam. A quick question, as I am going to start my training sooner what would you recommend the first weekly long run be at?

I think you are doing the right thing in using a 20 week plan instead of 16 weeks. Up until this Paris marathon I've never religiously followed a plan before. I know now this has been a huge mistake. As I've sufffered from a few niggles here and there and missed a few days of training because of it, there's less pressure doing 20 weeks if this happens. Plus if it's your first marathon it means you manage to get a few more long runs in before the big day as well.

When does the 20 week plan start for you?

The official plan starts on the 20th of May but that is very chageable at the minute and will continue to be until the week before depending on my current weekly mileage. 

Yes it definitely lets me get a few more long runs in, iv currently got 3 20miles + scheduled in, which currently sounds daunting but with the slow increase I think will be fine. 

Plus all this pre plan talk and research is all being stored as motivation for when the hard sessions come around and I need an extra kick to get going haha. 

You seem to be right on target for Paris, not long now, getting excited? Good luck again and I will be eagerly awaiting the good news on the day. 

All the best 

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

Hi Shady Ady!  Well done on your biggest mileage week, and your fab weightloss! Great job!

Hi Angela........thanks very much. It'll feel strange now not having a long run at the weekend for the next three weeks. I can use the time to copy you and try making Lancashire Hot Pot!

Good luck on your half this coming weekend!

• h vavoom wrote (see)
    Hi shady
    Just wanted to delurk and tell you what a fab read your board is and how much I have enjoyed your progress in running and leanness. In view of the fact the mileage will be coming down and how keen you are to get to the magic 148 pounds have a read of this:
    http://www.neelsagar.co.uk/cereal-nutrition/
    I think it's what Ruth eluded to earlier. Pesky special offers! Blooming tasty though!! I'm currently trying to ignor Thornton's chocs and son's birthday cake. I'll never get to my racing weight....
    Enjoy all the coming weeks and the marathon itself and keep posting.

Hey H Vavoom..........thanks very much for delurking and posting. It's always nice to receive messages from new people! I do wonder sometimes how many people actually read what I write and just hearing that one or two people do makes it all worthwhile. I think it's the closest I'll ever get to being a published writer. I should enjoy this while it lasts!

The article that you have the link for above made me chuckle. It turns out the cereal I've been eating for the past week or so is one of the top 3 highest calorific cereals out there. I'm going back to Fruit and Fibre starting tomorrow. Thanks very much for heads up on this..........the next lb loss will have your name on it now!

I will definitely stay clear from special offers now, or at least look more closely! Luckily my house is out of chocolate at the moment so that temptation is currently subdued!

Are you in training for a marathon at the moment?

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

The fact you are eating so late on the Friday means you do need a snack so instead of a supper snack you perhaps shoudl consider a snack at around 6pm so a jam sandwich (bring from home in foil) or  a few jaffa cakes and a sugar containing cordial or soft drink would be fine - need to plan to have this and not rely on what you might or night not get at expo.

Jam sandwich perfect as snack before race - this is what you have practiced so stick with this and no caffeine gels in race , I think  you need to stick to what has been practised - much safer!

Your weight loss has not stopped so don't worry but when the milage starts to come down towards taper I will be making far more comments on food diaries and so forth. Just keep focused and just think before you eat ...do I need this? 

I'm glad to be going with what I've been using - jam sandwiches and ISO Go gels all the way to Paris! I'll bring jaffa cakes as well just to be on the safe side for Paris.

Now that the taper is about to begin, I'll be watching far more closely what I'm eating then. There will be no more packets of Quavers or chocolate from now on I promise! I'll try and stay clear of the alcohol as well. I'm actually impressed how litle I've drank since New Year - probably no more than 10 pints in total - so less that a pint a week!

I think those words - "Do I need this?" will be the perfect decoy should I start to step off the path of righteousness! image I'll be practising it this weekend when more birthday cake is on offer!

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

PC91 - Not sure what I am doing having another one but hey life's an adventure so just thought I would check it out with one moreimage

I think having more children is just a clever ploy. If it was me I'd be looking to the long term, knowing the more children I have the more chance I will have of being looked after in old age rather than being shipped off to a nursing home. Tactical thinking! image Maybe I'm just being a bit cynical.............actually the thought of having just one scares the living daylight out of me!image

• Hi Shady- can give u the recipe if u want? From Hugh fearnly whittingstall's MEAT book- I think the secret ingredients are the anchovies and Worcestershire sauce... Although that's the only part where I particularly followed the recipe image
  • Paulo83 wrote (see)
    I wouldn't worry too much about the weight loss. You've probably already lost your target weight in fat but gained weight in muscle! At least you can tell yourself that even if its not true!

I'm not "over" my calf injury but I am able to run again. I did 16 at the weekend which felt ok. I'm just having to avoid doing any more speed work as I really feel the calf then! My run was snowed off today so I got on the bike indoors instead!

Do you have a belt for carrying your gels? If so, which one have you gone for? It's so much nicer running with a friend isn't it?! It's just not that easy finding someone else at the same pace though. All of my training has been solo but I'm hoping to do one of my taper runs with a friend.

How long do you plan to rest after the marathon before working towards your next goal? I'm considering doing the sussex marathon weekender. http://www.nice-work.org.uk/events.php?id=59. A marathon spread across three days!

Haha......You've made my day now.........screw the weight loss.........I'm there already! It serves me right for getting overweight in the first place, but losing the weight from my belly and boobs is the hardest part of this marathon challenge! I don;t have an inch of fat on my legs or arms - only around my midrift! I definitely think I'll be focusing more on my stomach area and abs once Paris is over, so I can kiss goodbye to the love handles once and for all!

Very happy to hear you're back running again. I've been suffering again with a few niggles today.....I think they are just the leftovers from yesterdays run. It seems I have tight muscles every way I stretch my legs! I only have a 4 mile jog tomorrow so I'll see how everything is bearing up. I'm still scared when doing my speed sessions as I'm just expecting to pull something again. At least this makes me move more gradually in to a speed session than I use to do.

I agree - running with someone is so much better and makes the miles go by so much quicker. I think this might be the driving factor in joining a running club before the year is out. I use a Asics 'bumbag' belt for carrying my gels. I always scoffed at people who used belts - thinking it made you look less like a runner. I'm very happy to retract these thoughts now. There's no way I'd manage to carry my gels in any other way. It's just about big enough to carry 4 gels in the pouch, and it's not difficult to get them out either while running. It also doesn't bounce about either, which I've struggled with in the past with other belts. You can;t even tell you're wearing it most of the time!

I only have 8 weeks until my next race once Paris is over. I'm running Comrades Marathon at the start of June, so I need to somehow go from 26 miles to 56 miles in 8 weeks including rest after Paris and a taper as well. I actually think I might have bit off a bit more than I can chew with this, but it's my last chance really to do it this year before kids come along. I probably wouldn't get the chance to do it for a fair few years otherwise. Talking to other people whocare running it/ have run it....they've been pretty positive in saying there shouldnt be many problems stepping up from an April marathon in time, so this keeps me from freaking out too much!

I like the look of that Sussex Marathon Weekender though. That's an excellent idead. I've never heard about it before. Will you do all three days?