Replace my shoes?

I am trying to decide whether to replace my running shoes. There is a slight sign of wear on one of the treads but not major. In have replaced my older Asics that had visibly worn but am not sure these Nikes need replacing now. I am getting some pins and needles at the end of my runs but am having that on either my Nikes (which I prefer to run in) or my newer Asics. Is this a sign to change my shoes? I'm not sure. According to my records I have covered 177 km in them. My old Asics latest 218 km. Am I being overly cautious?

Comments

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

Probably being over cautious.
    There's a bloke who lives near me who averaged 180K a month during Jan, and I doubt he was changing them on a weekly basis.

• (Very) general rule of thumb is 500-600km.  Obviously weight, running style, surface all have an effect.  If you can afford it and think that your old shoes aren't cutting it, why not?  We all like new shoes!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I suppose it depends how heavy you are, but 177km doesn't seem like very good value. I've done about 750km in mine and they are just a bit grubby.

• Did 1000 miles on a pair of nikes last year after reading 'born to run' couldn't tell a lot of difference when I replaced them- just s little more cushioning
  • 177km is a very short mileage. It's nothing to do with the tread, just the midsole that gives out.

I used to replace mine at approaching 500 miles (the oft-stated figure), but recently I just took the view that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I decided to only replace them when I started to get persistent niggles. I have one pair I use in the gym, including treadmill work which have approaching 600 miles on them, another pair at 650 miles still going strong and my "new" pair with 30 miles on them.

Sorry to disagree with you "In it for the cake" but as well as being financial sense to get a decent mileage out of shoes, they use up valuable resources both in terms of manufacture and shipping, so I think it is responsible to try to get an appropriate amount of wear out of them.

• You make a good point.  I never actually get rid of my old running shoes - they go from gym duty, to outdoor duty, to wet weather, sunday-paper collection and finally gardening.  When the soles have worn out, I strip them of laces, footbeds and chuck 'em in the bin at the gym.  God knows where they go after that, but I am assured that they are recycled somehow.