2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Sm6 well done for getting out, still bloody cold and windy here....

NN no last year I did 3x 23 mile runs but don't see any great need now to go past 22 image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    SC ditto what NN has said takes 4 days to recover from speed sessions.

1 mile swim this morning out later for a recovery run image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Would doing a tempo run on the Thursday be ok, looking to build up to HM pace or is this too close too?

•  NP just asked you the same question on the other thread....phew I was thinking  maybe one more 22 myself...3 weeks out would that be ok ?

SC I wouldnt do a tempo that close if you are racing all out..maybe just a few MP miles ..thats what Fiona did ...and I copied her..image

• Wow - A weekend away and some fantastic running has been going on elsewhere.

Firstly congratulations to OH on an excellent marathon. Well done sir in very testing conditions.

Secondly - brilliant running mace for a 11min PB. It was a soft PB based on your brighton goals and training this year - but nethertheless the run was very strong and sets you up for brighton Nicely. be proud and go into brighton with Confidence

Eevryone else seems to have done some fantastic running too. For fear of repeating myself well done on all your long runs. Some very good faster stuff too. Most folk on this thread really sound like thier training is coming together and can go into April Marathons with some confidence.

Well after 5 days of no running I Ventured out with Lulu first this for a waddle around the racecourse in snowing conditions. All Fine tho so ran at lunchtime too. 6 miles are MP. All good. Nice to be running again image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart well done for getting out yesterday.  Hope you manage the LSR somehow/somewhere today

NN enjoy the treddie recovery

Stewart if you're looking at racing the Half, I'd just take it easy this week

AGF welcome back. Nice Lulu run and well done on the lunchtime 6 @ MP. Are you still running the Warwick Castle half or have you binned that now?

OH how do you feel today (warmer, I hope)?

---

Cold and windy here. Snow didn't settle.  4m recovery, all fineimage

• Yes, still doing the half Teknik..... But as part of a long run image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC Thats up to youimage.

AGF Nice to see you back and so is Luluimage

Teknik just done mine in the snow bloody freezing again hereimage.

5 miles easy/recovery and a 1 mile swim image

• 17 and wee bit done. 1st 8.5ish were uphill and into the wind, not fun at all. The 8.5 home wasn't too bad though.

Given my lack of LSRs recently, I think I might not bother racing on Sunday. Might do 13.1 w/10@MP, then 18-19 on Monday. I have a 10k the following week, so I might just give it a thrash then.

• Stuart. Why not do 7 before the race, 3 miles easy at that start of the race and then the last 10 miles progressive. This means your over taking folk and running fast at the end of a 20 miler without bashing yourself into the ground...
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    6m recovery this morning in minus 1 degrees without the windchill- and there was A LOT of wind chill with a 50 mph arctic gale! Sports massage tonight, so no running image

I want the spring back! One positive on the am run- first time this year without a headtorch at 6 am image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    I tried to post a photo on here can I ask for someone to check and see if they are having the same problem please.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done to those who've got out in the cold.  It's been that cold here over the course of the day my car has grown icicles on the wing mirrors!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP - can't upload either- now getting an error message saying RW are looking into it

• Well done everyone who got out today or made it to the Gym,

Baltic weather here in Brum, got home late from work so no time to get to the gym and pavements are like glass.

Double session before work and after work for me tomorrow in the gym as I can't see the pavements improving.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Thanks Teknik thought it was just me.
  • NP with 3 potential long runs left before taper would you look at maybe a 22 plus 2 x 20? Thanks
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Looks like weather freezing with everyone. Lots of snow here this morning but mostly gone by night - just ice now! 6 miles for me with 4 tempo. Will be MP later in the week again NN!image

Take care on the ice everyone. Training is going too well to get hurt.

No matter how good my intentions I can never tag miles onto the end of a race.

Nice to see you and Lulu back running AGF.

Nice recovery running NP.

Looking forward to getting away next week for spring training in the sun! image

F

• Fiona C good effort ! enjoy the sun , lucky you .
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    MG1 yes or 20 20 22 mine will be 20, 16 (13.1 half marathon) 22.

Fiona can you fit me in your caseimage well done with your tempo run.
  • Thanks NP, wasn't sure how many I should be aiming to do of that length in the last three weeks, may do the 22 as the final LR just finish off training on a positive
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

AGF, good to see you back at it

Tek, NP, nice recovery runs, 

SM6, Tough conditions out there today well done with the 17

Jason, don't we all, it's freezing out, we must be mad to be out it these conditions

MG, enjoy the double session tomorrow

Fiona, I was almost contemplating a treadie run at the gym, but the roads were clear this evening, well done getting the run in and I'm not at all envious of warm weather training.

Tonight I binned the interval session in favour of a tempo run, as the track was closed and I kept it short too, five miles with three at tempo pace, the legs were feeling a little a little tired but as the run went on they began to feel better.

Splits for the run: 9:17 / 8:19 / 8:26 / 8:16 / 9:46

Thanks for the advice as always guys, I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the week image

• macemace ✭✭✭
    jason d wrote (see)
    Mace- awesome PB,!! But if you are running 14m at mp I think your mp is a tad conservative image

Thanks jason ( and others image ) .... not sure i understand though ? Are you saying that i shouldn't be able to run 14M at MP even though it's scheduled in the P&D plan ? As it's my first Marathon i don't really know what i should expect at this stage.

Well done everyone for toughing it out in the crap conditions - just hope the wild temperature fluctuations don't leave us all with stinking colds image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP nice swim and recovery run yesterday

Stuart well done on the 17+.  I agree with AGF - do some miles before the half, make it the long run day (with the MP finish), and have an easier day Monday...

Jason well done on the 6m recovery in a gale. I'm glad the mornings are getting lighter, too...

HM same here - not seen icicles develop during the day for a while!

MG enjoy your double day in the warm gymimage

Fiona well done on the tempo. Jealous of the holiday away...

Stewart good tempo...enjoy the mini-taperimage

mace - don't listen to Jason. He doesn't run enough to know what he's talking about. Lolimage

---

Really cold here this morning.  Wrapped up well but we still got brain burn in the wind howling across the cow fields, leading to a couple of quick sections to escape to the protection of the woods.  13.79m at sub70%max (no, I was too cold to do the extra 0.21m).  Sun's out now, though...image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Tek image

Sounds like a fairly nice place to run, despite the wind. Cow fields, woods .....

Nice run

VO2 session for me this morning along the seafront ..... one way was like running into a brick wall, the other like i had a rocket up me 'arris image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 Nice running yesterday image

Jason I was worried about frost biteimage thought I had changed into a girl when I got in the shower to defrost my bitsimage.

SC Well done on your run yesterdayimage

Mace 14 miles at MP is a long way with a big week of miles so it could be possible that you could go a little faster in the marathon, but as this is your first enjoy it. Well done on the VO2 max run today.

Teknik nice run this morning your HR was very flat for the whole runimage.

Just over 10 miles for me this morning, cold but dry with very little wind so a mixture of tempo and MP and happy with the result.image

• will catch up with all te posts later

I went to bed after my night shift and slept for about 2 hours then woke up worrying about how/where to to today's session 6. x 1ks it was really windy and cold and I was going to do the intervals on a treadmill but couldn't face it..I couldn't get back to sleep  for thinking about it so got up and did the session came home and went back to bed, my son looked at me and said   "mum you really are mad "

I did my intervals by time ie 4.5 mins fast with 90 secs easy between, easier than doing the maths on the distance.. 3 miles each side  off to work again soon..image

• https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MSBLTA4jaxo/UTy52c6zQgI/AAAAAAAAB2w/yIdb9w5VAFw/s616/IMG_3567.JPG

Photo on one of brighter moments of Sunday

• OH nice hill !!image great photo..

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

NN well it happens to us shift workersimage well done on getting the session out of the way.

OH great photo, looks like the person behind you has still got his hat and gloves on, he must be from the southimage