London Marathon 2013 - Runners & Supporters

Comments

• SuperCaz wrote (see)

Two Stroke, don't worry, we don't leave anyone behind however slow they are.

image  That's fab, as I'm pretty broken at the moment so I'm going to need all the support I can get!  Twisted my ankle last Monday and although it's looking pretty spectacular in all it's technicolour glory it means I can't train for another week at least.  image  Fortunately I already had a physio appointment for my knee on Friday so hopefully they will take a look at it then and I will find out when I can start doing stuff again.  In the meantime I shall be attempting a bit of swimming this week image

• Two stroke....as Private Jones says "Dont Panic " Dont Panic"..plenty of time left and you will lose only a tiny fraction of performance potential by taking a week or so off...

Good week-end for me, new Half PB ( albeit a 2 second PB ..image

Just 4 weeks to the safe haven that is "taper time"....

Sf

• Two Stroke, I wouldn't worry as you will still be faster than me even if you are a bit broken. I reckon you will all be in the pub by the time I finish image.

• I'll be walking it Eckytump so I doubt I'll be slower than you!  It's going to be a slow journey and there is a chance I won't make the cut off.  Meantime the swelling and pain have reduced quite a lot and the bruising appears to be calming down a little.  No swimming this week as it's too early still, but have some more exercises to do.  Went to see my sports massage lady on Monday and she did a manual lmphyatic drainage massage which really helped image

• Hi all

TST glad to see the swelling and pain is going. You will get round I know it image

Hope everyone's training is going well! Looking forward to meeting you all!!
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Training gone to pot last three weeks so need to get back on schedule. Half mara on Sunday so will review stamina and fitness but will kiss goodbye to GFA attemt or any madcap GWR. Ho Hum

• Hey guys, hope training is going well! image

My name seems to have crept back on to the Supporters List in the last edit, but I can't make it to VLM this year because I'm doing a different race that day. Sorry to keep harping on about it but I don't want to disappoint anyone that was depending on me for jelly babies or lager image

Edited list below image

Supporters
    Sister Bad Habit (aka K-Web on the 'other' site for those crossing from the dark side lol)
    SuperCaz
    VikW
    KateF
    Tommygun2
    katb
    Mrs Warkie
    BBH
    Womble
    JohnClose3
    Soup Dragon
    Sweetest Thing (with FL & LB)
    Foxy Lady (with ST & LB)
    XFR Bear
    LouiseG
    Mrs ZiggyTheSpider (contact through ZiggyThe Spider)
    Beck01

Runners

Alki
    Mr Alki
    Cake
    Camberwell
    Cocoa Pop.
    Cooper 16
    Dave Wood 4 and Dan Wood
    georginagem
    gizmo83
    Happychap
    Helen Macfarlane 2
    Holymoly
    Hopetofinish
    Khanivore
    kittenkat (hopefully not stopping, no offence)
    Lady Wot Jogs
    Lee the Pea
    Literatin
    Mark 1981
    Mattoo
    Loon (definitely stopping and expecting lots of hugs)
    Mike Frog
    Millsy1977
    Mr Puffy.
    Nick Wicks 2
    Night Nurse
    No Pain
    Nykie (I had a group last year but only at the last minute, so didn't really get to know people)
    PipG
    Pottermiss
    Prawnie (& Mr Prawnie running his first marathon)
    Rattler Rattler
    RFJ
    RosemaryClose4
    Slim Fast
    Sofaboy.
    Straycelt
    TortoiseWins
    Two-Stroke Tart
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah!
    USB
    Vixx76
    Warkie
    Wickett ~
    ZiggyTheSpider
    15West
    Go Caz

• Hows everyones training going? Hope no one is panicking too much :S

Is anyone here form the Essex area? I fear im gonna end up standing around on my own nervous as hell waiting for the race to start

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Tortoise, vlm is one place you won't be on your own. Unless sub 2.45 there's always someone at every pace to chat too! Panic not

• Well my training going just about to plan have done a 18 miler last week

Just got some new trainers and breaking them in for when I go for my 20/22 miler in 3 weeks time .

If that goes ok i will be well happy I am looking forward to race day but nerves starting to kick in a bit :0)
  • Tortoise Re:" I fear im gonna end up standing around on my own nervous as hell waiting for the race to start"......you can dsafely assume that everyone else is feeling exactly the same....if you say hello to whoever is standing beside you as you wauit and the start and say hello you can be certain they will be delighted to chat and be distracted from their own nerves and naked fear ...

Lex

• Woo hoo!  Seen the physio and so long as I do as I'm told and build slowly I am good to go!  Yes it will be slow and yes it will probably hurt (my legs generally as opposed to the ankle) but at least I can do it!  image

• Hope it all goes ok for ya 2 stoke still 6 weeks to go .
  • Eek-I seem to have dropped off the runners' list... Please could someone more technically-minded assist?! Thanks!!! Where do you guys usually pitch yourselves? Longest training run tomorrow (aside from Paris mara in 7 April...). Fingers crossed for no rain!!x
  • K-Dwag Im not on the list either, Last year they were at Mile 17 think be the same this year..... but don't quote me on that image im sure we will all be told. I will try to add us both to the list....

Supporters 
    Sister Bad Habit (aka K-Web on the 'other' site for those crossing from the dark side lol) 
    SuperCaz 
    VikW 
    KateF 
    Tommygun2 
    katb 
    Mrs Warkie 
    BBH 
    Womble 
    JohnClose3 
    Soup Dragon 
    Sweetest Thing (with FL & LB) 
    Foxy Lady (with ST & LB) 
    XFR Bear 
    LouiseG 
    Mrs ZiggyTheSpider (contact through ZiggyThe Spider) 
    Beck01

Claire Hardman

Runners 

Alki 
    Mr Alki 
    Cake 
    Camberwell 
    Cocoa Pop. 
    Cooper 16 
    Dave Wood 4 and Dan Wood 
    georginagem 
    gizmo83 
    Happychap 
    Helen Macfarlane 2 
    Holymoly 
    Hopetofinish 
    Khanivore 
    kittenkat (hopefully not stopping, no offence) 
    Lady Wot Jogs 
    Lee the Pea 
    Literatin 
    Mark 1981 
    Mattoo 
    Loon (definitely stopping and expecting lots of hugs) 
    Mike Frog 
    Millsy1977 
    Mr Puffy. 
    Nick Wicks 2 
    Night Nurse 
    No Pain 
    Nykie (I had a group last year but only at the last minute, so didn't really get to know people) 
    PipG 
    Pottermiss 
    Prawnie (& Mr Prawnie running his first marathon) 
    Rattler Rattler 
    RFJ 
    RosemaryClose4 
    Slim Fast 
    Sofaboy. 
    Straycelt 
    TortoiseWins 
    Two-Stroke Tart 
    Ultra Kazzaaaaah! 
    USB 
    Vixx76 
    Warkie 
    Wickett ~ 
    ZiggyTheSpider 
    15West 
    Go Caz

K-Dawg  

Kind of managed it.... got a strange space.... sorry!

Anyway hope everyones training is going well. So glad im supporting this year. Will start practgising my cheering soon image As for the nerves enjoy them, its an amazing experience and the support and experience of the day you will never forget. 

• Can you add me to list will give ya all a hi five as I pass :0)
  • image we've lost Eckytump running with teddy from the list

• Awwwwwwwwww yeh Louise , Im not on the list *sniff sniff* . Can I go on it please, I promise to behave image

• I've dropped off the supporters' list too - can someone put me back? Ta.
  • i am so nervous about this race.  I was doing well with training but got sick and ended up missing almost 4 weeks training.  I am scared i wont finish and if i do i will miss the medals (anyone know what time you need to finish by to still get a medal?) 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    How far have you got to with your training? You still have 4 weeks to get back on track.

Or if things are too bad you can always defer and give it a proper go next year.
  • i am up to 15 miles.  i am feeling better now as i did 15 miles Sunday.  if i hadnt done that i would be panicking but i do feel i can finish now, even though i panic that i wont ! .  I will never be fast  - i am a slow runner anywaY!  - but a friend finished a few years ago and only ever got to an 18 mile run/ walk and i should get past that.  i dont think i could face deferring after so much work!  unless i was injured, or if i get sick again!  

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you managed 15 this week you could be ok.

If you can do long runs of 17, 18, 20 over the next 3 weekends you should have enough under your belt to get round ok.
  • Anyone with lots of marathon experience please feel free to jump in and correct me, but liberty, I am assuming you are a relative novice based on 15m being your longest run (ever?).  If this is so, better you don't try to do 3 x very long runs over the next 3 weeks - that will leave you drained, and insufficient time to consolidate any gains you could make in the period.  Better to try and get in some nice easy sessions, one MAYBE two longer (18-20) miles.  Also consider building some walk breaks into your long runs as these help extend your distance / improve recovery / minimise injury.  I'm pretty injury-prone so speaking from painful experience.

• i was panicing after haveing trouble with my knee on downhills but i have got up to a 18 miler dropped off down to 15 miles on bike last weekend then back up to a 20 miler this weekend then i will try a 21/22 2 week before just hope i can get rid of these dam colds

• Guys honestly try not to panic! I know it's easier said than done. I have only done one marathon - London last year. So no expert, but at this stage its better to get to the start line with as few niggles as possible. Won't lie the race will hurt and you never feel anything like it but be proud of the pain and tiredness and the fab shuffle you have for few days after. And have a good giggle at trying to get up and down stairs... It's hilarious! Anyway back to the training I was told not to squeeze in extra runs or add on miles, if I was following a training plan to stick to it, if I had to miss a run just cross it off and move onto the next. LouiseG sounds like good advice there to me! Liberty try not to do all those long runs this close to the big day. I would see what some other folk say, who have done more marathons than me.

Honestly guys you will love it! It's so much fun!!
  • Thank you so much. I was thinking of walk/ running the last few long runs. Like I say I just want to get round at this point. I am happy not to have a good time. Really appreciate all your advice. Thank you
  • Liberty, I too am running London and am only at 15 miles. (Due to niggles I have had to skip a weeks training). I am planning a 16, 18 and 20. Better to be undertrained than over trained. (ie injured).  

• Oh Fenn, u have made my day!!! Honestly I was feeling the worst!! I think 16, 18, 20 is great !! I agree better that than injured. Is this your first marathon ?
  • I'm sure you will all get round image  I'm walking it due to ongoing knee issues and having sprained my ankle two weeks ago and I reckon I'll make it with my longest session so far being 14 miles.  I won't get any long ones in before the day now, but my physio says I can do it although it will probably hurt, so I reckon you'll all be fine image  Oh, and I walked 0.5 miles today which is the furthest I've been in the last 2 weeks! image

liberty6201 wrote (see)

I am scared i wont finish and if i do i will miss the medals (anyone know what time you need to finish by to still get a medal?) 

You WILL finish before the cut off Liberty, but if you want to know it's 6pm which gives you 8:15 from the starting gun.  I think I worked it out than anything under an 18 minute mile for every mile will get you there in time so panic not image