P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Just been outside walking the dog.  Its bitter, if its this cold tomorrow I'll do the VO2 session on the treadmill and not care who calls me nesh!

• Yeah it's a big ask but I think I would have been quicker than 3.16 last time on a flatter course so in reality it's not such a big jump.

I know I'm far quicker than 2 years ago so I'm optimistic, hopefully get back to running 2moro anyway after a few days off.

Lit, if you hit your target in London I bet you'll be aiming for something under 3 hrs in the next one! image
  • Chris J77 - I have always done the full 26.2 in training but I do it a couple of months before the race day.

There is a "rule of thumb" that says your runs should not be more in miles than the days left to the race. I have found this a good guide in the weeks leading up to the race.

So for example:

Your long Sunday run 3 weeks (20 days) before a Sunday marathon should not be more than 20 miles.

This can be applied right through the taper - hope this helps

• Up at 04:00am for my first recovery run of the day, bitterly cold out there.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

NN - it was hot in mid-October in 2011.  I remember because I went to a mates Birthday party and all the video looks like the height of summer (without the huge crowds at the beach, which was nice).  Thinking about it, it probably was hotter than the height of summer 2012 - though that's more down to the lousy summer image

Today has to be the coldest day of the winter for running I reckon.  27F (-2C) doesn't sound so bad, but that 26mph (40kph) wind makes it feel like 12F (-11C)!!!!  I'm glad I've got VO2max session to help feel warmer on the run, though a headwind is going to make it very tough (please let it be on the downhills!).  I'm going to run 1km intervals, which I missed last week, in place of the scheduled 400m efforts.

Well done Craig!  At least I don't have to run out there twice today (I'll try to think of that mid-run when I can't feel my fingers!).

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Just off out in the freezing icy cold to do my VO2 intervals too. At least the sun is shining, though!

• Weather here is horrible so I used my treadmill for 8 miles GA last night. The roads to work were pretty awful with a few crashes, mainly lorries jackknifing, and diversons so the treadmill may get another bash for 9 miles VO2 tomorrow morning.

HeOw I was talking to a physio at work the other day and he was saying how common the glute strength problem is, he says all physios chuckle when patients tell them the reason they can't do single leg squats is because of their balance.  Obviously the core strength exercises are very good at helping your balanceimage

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Any of you locals doing the Wrexham 10k as a tune up April 7th?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, I did my VO2 session earlier and it was actually surprisingly warm in the sun. Still a bit icy, though. My 2nd and 3rd intervals were rubbish - 2nd one I was finding it hard to hit the pace due to an evil headwind, and 3rd one was disastrous. However much I rationalised it (wind, icy patches, twisty steps over a bridge, blind corner on narrow canal towpath) it was still a bit demoralising: felt like really hard work just to keep being told to speed up and never quite get there! Luckily the rest was a bit more sheltered with no obstacles and the last three reps were more comfortable. I realised the obvious fact that once you are settled into a pace it is much easier to just maintain it than it is to keep slowing down for things and having to accelerate again.

Splits for the 1km reps: 3:52, 3:57, 4:08 image, 3:50, 3:53, 3:51.

Then I came home and had a 'recovery' flapjack. Perhaps a key reason why all this running is not making me lose weight. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all.

10miles with 6x1000m today. Can't say I'm really looking forward to it to be honest.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

10 miles? My book says 11. Lightweight.

• Men - I am doing the Salford 10k on Good Friday as tune up then probably Borders League 10k as final tune up.  I am not sure, what with me missing a week last week and already being a week down cos I am a twat, and cannot count backwards properly, that I will fit another one in.  I am looking through plan at the mo and wondering how I am going to manage it all to be honest, body seems to be breaking down a bit, knee sore today because obviously I am over compensating on the left leg for the right foot.  I am trying to work a parkrun in too, I am not sure when though!  

Great run Literatin - effort is what is important, heart doesn't know pace.  Running into wind would actually put your pace faster if it wasn't windy.

Err, after the epic week of EIGHT miles last week, hopefully my body will reward me by showing me that I was a runner in a past life and can run more than 7 miles.  So, rest day today but hopefully strength training in the form of Circuits tonight (but pesky kids activities may put paid to that...) and then if I can get into spinning, will do that too.  See, there is life other than running - I just didn't know it!

• Thanks again people for advice. I agree Lit Hastings sounds like a threat HM and think I would really enjoy this but like yourself I think I need to concentrate on my endurance and preserve myself for my other key sessions. I'm thinking knock it on the head get a LSR in of 22 at about 10 percent marathon pace. I don't trust myself to not race half and would probably suffer for this?? Legs still abit heavy from Sunday's MP LSR and think this might effect tonight's Intervals
  • stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Does the upto 75 plan have intervals every Tuesday?  For some reason the upto 55 plan  seems to alternate between Tuesday and Wednesday.  This puzzled me a bit, so will be even more confused if they changed this for the longer plan.

It was a 8m GA run for me today - slightly surreal in a swirling snow shower, especially as, by the time I drove to work,the sun was out and the snow had melted.

Was glad to do this run as I took the weekend off due to a strange chest cold/infection, sounds similar to Mark1981, that never really developed into a proper runny nose/cough type thing.  It meant that last Friday's 5m recovery was a real struggle (never thought I'd say that!), so I had to skip the longer Sat & Sun runs as i got out of breath walking roung Tescos image

• Great effort Lit. Bet you are feeling smug that that session is out the way. I am with 15W and dreading the K efforts tonight. Its still freezing here and the wind is making it worse. Think I might have to bring the tights out of retirement for tonight!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Guys, don't forget to leave the proper recovery periods between the intervals.
  • I am starting my Vo2 max intervals tomorrow, 11 miles with 5x1200m, with recoveries.  I used to go to track weekly and we teneded to mainly do 400m repeats with 200m recoveries around 12 times.  What would you recommend I recover on these 1200s as I want to put it all in my Garmin ready for tomorrow.  

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

craigt, if you are using miles as the measurement in the garmin, then 400m would be the easiest (i.e. 0.75m interval & 0.25m recovery).  Then its 3 miles warm up and 3 miles cool down to bring the total up to 11m.

PS After my disaster configuring intervals last week, I may not be the best person to advise!

• Craig - I tend to stick to miles on the Garmin as well as its easier for me. So for the 1200's I'd put in 0.75 miles for the interval. And then say 3 mins for the recovery (slow jog). You will prob be doing the 0.75/1200s in around 4 mins odd. So 3 mins recovery is a good trade off. I find it easier to do this on the Garmin manually and means you dont have to faff around with the training centre software etc..  

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

8.5m VO2Max session completed, including 5x1km intervals.

I increased my pace to my projected 5K race pace, which was calculated from my recent half marathon time. This meant my target pace was 7:43, and my heart rate range should be 178 -182bpm (91-94% HRR).  My actual stats were:

1km interval paces: 7:42/7:41/7:45/7:39/7:38
    HR avg:                   150 / 156/ 159/ 155/ 162bpm (max was 167bpm)!!!!!

So the pacing was sound, but I honestly don't know what to make of the heart rate figures! imageThey are significantly lower than they should be according to the charts. The way I see it, either I can still run a fair bit faster for the intervals, or my max heart rate is plain wrong. Hopefully it's the former, but as I've said before, I don't want to invite injury by pushing the pace too much at this stage of the marathon build-up. However, I've noticed during the intervals that I get told to slow down a lot by my Garmin, and rarely told to speed up! 

It is entirely possible that my heart rate was low due to running in a giant frickin' freezer with a jet engine turned on for added cooling effect (i.e. it was cold and windy image).

Next week's VO2max session includes four one-mile intervals. Do you think I should open up the throttle a bit further, or stick to the current pace? If I wasn't doing a marathon pace long run on Sunday, I'd test myself on a parkrun, but that's going to have to wait. I guess I should probably stick to the pace plan for my target marathon time, rather than push my luck? image

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Ten, they are great intervals - only 7 second spread across them all.  As the book has a section saying not to run your intervals too fast (and no equivalent for running them too slow), I'd stick with the plan.  However, I reckon some 10k specific training after the marathon and you'll be knocking minutes off your PB image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello - got the dreaded intervals out the way. Actually they weren't too bad - the good thing about doing them outside rather than the treadmill is you can slow down a bit!

I used garmin for the 1k intervals ran 0.6 miles fast and then 0.4 miles slow, just to make life simple cause I'm a bit crap at maths.

Ten - well done on your intervals...feels good to get them out the way doesn't it....

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    stutyr wrote (see)

.....I reckon some 10k specific training after the marathon and you'll be knocking minutes off your PB image

You must be reading my mind!  That's precisely what I intend to do (once I've recovered image).

15W - Well done to you too!  I don't have a fixed distance for the recovery, and instead I wait for my heart rate to return to 65% HRR.  The next interval begins as soon as I hit the "lap" button.  It also allows me to adjust the start point for terrain, dogs and stupid people blocking the path image  

If you're interested, the settings on garmin connect are:  step type - recovery; duration -  lap button press; target -  no target.  I also don't set a final cool down period, because I never know exactly how long that will be.  I usually forget to hit the start button for the cool down until I notice that my lap pace isn't registering image.  Hope that makes sense.

• Strange isn't it, last month we all thought the tempo runs were the devil, this month it will be the intervals.

It's not often to you get to use this word, but it's quite a dichotomy isn't it, a tough bit of training and we swear and cuss, get to a race and you'd slit your best mate to beat him hwoever hard the tempo was.

But I guess all sports are the same, it's all about the real thing.  Well that's my take on iyimage

And I've got 5 x 1000m bloody intervals tomorrow as well, bastardsimage

• Just did the vo2 max intervals, I don't know why but I thought I only had to do 5x1k so I was 1 rep short! I was running the k's in about 3.30.

Oh well, at least I actually managed to run today, my cough is getting better but my Achilles is quite sore now! image

Well done 15W, Ten and Lit on the intervals, Stu sounds like we both did the sensible thing at the weekend even though its mentally hard to rest.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well - running fast, especially for old plodders like me, takes us out of our comfort zone. But, it is these sessions that make us better, fitter runners. Hopefully.

Ten - thanks for advice re garmin. I looked at settings for intervals etc., but still haven't bothered using.

• hello, not been on here for a week or so, busy at work last week, plus it was a short week as i went off climbing in snowdonia.

Training still going well, i've got an 11mile run with 7mi @ Half mara pace this evening, then a couple more runs until my second 20miler at the weekend.

Legs feeling good. i've been doing some light UB and core work too, which i think it helping me keep posture and form when i get tired towards the end of a longer run.

In other news, I'm going to be a dad for the first time in November. My fiancee is in the early stages of pregnancy, but fingers crossed, if all goes well i'll have a little ginger addition to the gang before the year is out. I imagine he or she will put the kaibosh on my running for a little while, but I guess i'll be so tired i probably won't notice. I'm nervous, excited and delighted. I'll probably be asking you guys for advice on how to keep up running with a little one on the team image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Congratulations AG!! image

Now you have a very good reason to keep fit and healthy for life.

• cheers Tenjiso, I need to get myself in decent shape over the summer so that i can keep my fitness ticking over with what i guess will be minimal training in the first few months of AG jr's arrival.