Weights during marathon tapering period

Currently do weights 2-3 times a week including legs (squats/lunges etc), but also core and upper body.

When I move into the tapering period should I drop/reduce this. I was inclined towards yes mainly as feeling pretty knackered atm - not doing as well with my long runs as I would have hoped. training for london so 2.5 weeks until starting a 3 week taper.

Comments

• I would play safe and drop it then. I'd much rather run more than do weights if marathon running is your focus.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'm probably gonna keep getting down the gym till the final week, and then drop everything other than a few final runs.  It does get pretty tiring keeping it all going whilst you're in full-on marathon training mode, but once you start tapering it should be more manageable.  See how you feel, but if in doubt drop it.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I plan to keep the weights going during Taper until 1 week before as well. I may drop a set or two, or even reduce the weights in one or two of my weak / vulnerable areas so as to tread carefully. 

I don't think I will be getting much in the way of physical gains from the weights at that stage, but I'm sure it is one of the ways to stave off taper madness image