The Road to Paris - On a Plateau - Asics Target 26.2 Training

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Ruth - No, Mrs Malcs is most definitely the Welsh half. I have the joy of supporting a Scottish side whose last claim to being any threat was 1990. Did you watch the game? We didn't do too badly but I don't think we ever looked like winning.

Ady - well done sir! You've made it to the summit, just a gentle climb back down the other side now.

Don't envy you having to use public transport after your run. At least you were guaranteed a seat all to yourselfimage

Good day for a rest day today. I assume it was Siberian where you are too? I happily wimped out of running today. Hoping for an increase in temperature tomorrow.
  • I looooooove jelly babies too - red and black are my faves....might leave some in my bag at the finish as a reward!!

I think I would have been tempted to have done my longest run 4 weeks before if I hadnt been going to France, but fingers crossed a three week taper will be fine.

I just walked around in my trainers yesterday and wore my old ones for running. think I might have to wear my new ones for the gym tomorrow though as the others are covered in mud....again!!!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - I did the same as you recently and bought 2 pairs as they were 50% off. Seems you can get good deals around Feb-March as they bring out the new editions. I also went for the 'walking around in them for a bit' option. It's worked for me this time and in the past too. I usually wear them round the house for a week and then take them out on some shorter runs before going into full service.

All my past tapers have been blighted by injury so I've more or less stopped dead 2 weeks out. It'd be nice to do a taper this time - I really don't care if it's 3 or 4 weeks, anything would be an improvement image

Not liking the look of the weather outside - bonkers freezing and snow on the ground. Got my daughter's assembly this morning followed by sports massage so I have the 'too busy to run' excuse already lined up image

• Grizzly completed! Hilariously muddy and hilly 20.3 miles. Did 3.49 which I was quite pleased with but husband Jeff won it in 2.23 which makes my time look a bit rubbish! Anyway calf/Achilles held out fine. I think I am ultra sensitive now after my long injury...

I put the peak long run 4 weeks out, not 3, because I don't believe 3 weeks is sufficient recovery from one's longest run of the programme, if not of their life!

Well done ady on getting that run under your belt. I would have a sports massage now if I were you. I'm back at home tomorrow for fuller reply.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well done Sam! Does Jeff know the psychological effect his annoyingly good performances are having? Jeff - you are too fast, you need to slow down for the sake of your marriage! image 

You need to find something he is crap at and beat him into the ground at it. If I ever beat Mrs Malcs at anything she politely suggests we go ten pin bowling. 

Btw. I will go ten pin bowling but only if we can have the inflatable bumpers on image

I'd be quite happy to taper now but I still have 6 weeks to go!

• Just don't send the pound my way! Got round to weighing myself this morning and a combination of full board skiing holiday, valentines, birthday, Mother's Day and running a bit less after a 30k has given me a kilo back I really don't need. Boo! Not marathon training right now, entered the inaugural bournemouth in October.

Never fear, there are many of us keeping up with you on the quietimage

Just remember we are quietly right next to you for the whole 26.2 in Paris willing you on.
  • I hope the aches and pains haven't been too bad on today's run?! I think it's normal to be feeling it a bit at this stage of marathon training though. I know I am! I can't even begin to imagine doing a 56 mile run. What pace do you do for that? I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to children so hoping to do a few more events in this year while I can. Yes, I'm planning on doing all three days of the Sussex marathon weekend as long as I'm feeling ok after Paris. All 3 runs are within about 20 minutes of me so it would be a shame to miss them.
  • Well, as it seems to be the day for it, I may as well de-lurk too and add my best wishes.  I'm running Barcelona marathon this weekend, and have been reading your (and Steve's, and RRR's, and Sarah O's and Carter USM's) thread - can you tell it's quiet at work?! - for inspiration.  I've really enjoyed it, and it has been great to read the reports and track your progress.  You've done amazingly well.  I was originally going for sub 3:30, but due to taking the Malcs approach to taper and stopping dead 2 weeks ago through injury (and if I'm honest, a less than dedicated approach to training over the Decembver party season) I've revised that down to anything sub 3:40.

I shouldn't worry about the children stopping the marathon running.  I've got 2, and this will be my fourth marathon in 3 years.  My eldest is 3, so make of that what you will!

Keep up the writing, and all the best.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Boffy - Good to see you joinging the lurker amnesty. image

I really feel for you re. the injury. After spending months training, it's an awful thing to have to stop dead and hope it'll all be ok on the day. However, if my experiences are anything to go by your worst fears rarely turn into reality and whilst you might not get the taper you deserve you will hopefully be able to compete much better than you think on race day.

I say all this but of course it depends what's wrong - so what is wrong? I learned (eventually) that all my issues were down to overuse or tight muscles. These are things that can be treated with some sports massage or physio so if you're not already seeing someone it's worth a shot. 

Very best of luck at the weekend!

• Boffy wrote (see)

Well, as it seems to be the day for it, I may as well de-lurk too 

anyone else to join the party? I'm sure Ady would love to know image

• Malcs - Thanks for the welcome and advice.  In a similar story to yours, it's largely overuse/tightness that is causing problems.  I have had a couple of sessions with the physio and a sports massage, and some exceptionally painfull rolling, and it has largely cleared up.  I had a short canter around for 3miles to test it out the other day.  Still a bit leggy and dull feeling in the left calf and knee area, but good enough to get around I think.  I might try a few MP miles tomorrow just as a mental confidence thing, but it's so close now I figure rest is best!

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Sunday 10th March 2013

8:00am - Breakfast - Porridge w semi-skimmed milk, jam and a few nuts and raisins, small cup of tea.

8:30am - Glass of water

9:30am - 21 mile run (see earlier for full description), 3 x ISO Go Gels, a few small swigs of water.

12:45pm - Lunch - Large chai latte (easily my favourite drink to be bought out!) and a maple and walnut plait from Upper Crust (eaten within the first 30 minutes after my run, so the calories don't count - I think that's the way it works!).

1:45pm - Glass of chocolate milk, pint of squash

4:30pm - Dinner - Beef, carrots, noodles, gravy and broccoli - not the normal combination, but I had to incorporate leftovers in to the normal Sunday roast! Pint of squash

6:00pm - Yoghurt, pineapple and a few nuts and raisins, cup of tea

8:30pm - A few Maltesers, pint of squash.

10:00pm - Glass of water

• Calorie Watch! Food & Drink Diary – Monday 11th March 2013

8:00am - Breakfast - Jordan's Country Crisp Chunky Nut w/ semi-skimmed milk.

9:30am - Cup of tea, bottle of water

11:30am - Cup of tea

12:00pm - Lunch - Ham, cheese and avocado sandwich, bottle of water

2:45pm - cup of tea, bottle of water

4:30pm - banana

5:30pm - cup of tea

7:30pm - Dinner - Egg noodles with salmon and broccoli, pint of squash

8:30pm - Yoghurt with pineapple. Cup of tea

10:00pm - Glass of water

• Day 85 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (11/03/13)

Target: Rest

Actual: Rest w/ 20 minutes of stretching and foam rollering

It's a good day today was a rest day, as it feels my body has more or less given in and buckled under the pressure of the last two weeks of running and back to back 20 milers.

There were no issues with aches and pains and the feeling of lactic acid weighing my legs down today, but it seems the little niggles are back. My knee is stiff and it feels like I've pulled my quad slightly in a similar position as I did before. I'm actually scared of moving my legs as every time I do it feels like I'm tweaking something else.........and this is even with stretching and foam rollering more in the past 2 weeks than probably my life put together!

I'm not too concerned though. I've ran a lot the past two weeks, and I think the lack of w/up both Saturday and Sunday could have played a part. With the mileage decreasing now, then I'll hopefully recover without missing any training.

I might even follow coach Murphy's advice and treat myself to a sports massage! image

• Day 86 - Asics Target 26.2 Paris Marathon Training (12/03/13)

Target: Rest or 4 mile jog @ 9:00-9:50m/m

Actual: 4.03 miles in 36:04 @ 8:57m/m

There was absolutely nothing that excited me about stepping out in the biting wind today. Especially as I'd gone for shorts over tights. My legs must hate me sometimes!

Although today could have been rest, if I'm given the choice of running, the I'll always do it. Today was probably one of those days where I could have done with another rest day to rest my quad again. But like a lot of men......I'm too stubborn to take the easy option. Instead I kitted up and went out in the frightfully cold.

At a jog, I can't really feel my quad. But when I'm standing still and I start to stretch it, I feel it straight away. It's not a piercing pain, just like before, it feels really tight. I'm sure it's exactly like it was at the Birmingham training day and the tightness goes all the way up into my back. I think a sports massage is definitely in order now.

There was nothing to note from today's run, other than the fact it took a good mile to warm-up and stop shivering. The speed felt easy and relaxed. Exactly what it was supposed to feel like. Whenever the wind blew it seemed to go straight through my wind breaker with minimal fuss.

At this speed I was fine, but I'm a little concerned of doing myself more damage if I have a harder training session. Luckily I don't have one of these this week. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow and if there's any discomfort I will re-arrange my cross-training day and bring it forward to tomorrow. At least my knee was back to normal!

I think I just need to remember that the hardest part of training is now over with, and as the time ticks towards Paris, I need to listen to any issues I have more and more as there is less time to recover from any new injury.

Let's hope with an evening full of stretching, tomorrow will see no problems!

Here's my run from today:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/283684075

• Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

The official plan starts on the 20th of May but that is very chageable at the minute and will continue to be until the week before depending on my current weekly mileage. 

Yes it definitely lets me get a few more long runs in, iv currently got 3 20miles + scheduled in, which currently sounds daunting but with the slow increase I think will be fine. 

Plus all this pre plan talk and research is all being stored as motivation for when the hard sessions come around and I need an extra kick to get going haha. 

You seem to be right on target for Paris, not long now, getting excited? Good luck again and I will be eagerly awaiting the good news on the day. 

All the best 

Hi Ksizzlepod......it must be a nice feeling to be running ay the moment and know you still have another 7 weeks or so before you start the training plan properly. If gives you a good confidence building amount of time to hit the training planning running (excuse the pun!), rather that go straight into it. It'll be nice as well to be training through the Summer rather than being forced out in the Winter when motivational levels at at their lowest (well they normally are for me!).

I think you'll have no problem with the three 20 milers and might even fancy doing another one when you realise how well you're coping with them.

I don't think excitement will really hit until after I've actually ran Paris. I think there will be more nerves beforehand and a lot of anticipation over the race. If I was just running it and not bothered about a time, then I'd definitely be excited. But I think with so much emphasis on a PB and sub 3:30, the pressure will be on. I actually prefer working under these conditions, so hopefully ity will work in my favour.

Hopefully Summer will be here by the time your training plan kicks in! Are you changing your diet at all as well?

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
    Hi Shady- can give u the recipe if u want? From Hugh fearnly whittingstall's MEAT book- I think the secret ingredients are the anchovies and Worcestershire sauce... Although that's the only part where I particularly followed the recipe image

Hey Angela....I wouldn't mind the recipe to be honest (if it falls in Ruth's strict guidelines!). It sounds a recipe right up my steet, especially with the anchovies.........you can't beat a pizza with anchovies and capers on it! This could be my Saturday surprise for Mrs. Shady Ady! image

• Malcs wrote (see)
    Ady - well done sir! You've made it to the summit, just a gentle climb back down the other side now.

Don't envy you having to use public transport after your run. At least you were guaranteed a seat all to yourselfimage

Good day for a rest day today. I assume it was Siberian where you are too? I happily wimped out of running today. Hoping for an increase in temperature tomorrow.

A gentle climb you say? I thinked I've already lost my footing and I'm spiralling in to oblivion. Hopefully there's tree branch I can grab hold of before I fall of the edge!

After a 20+ mile run, I'm guaranteed the whole carriage, not just a seat. I can kick back and stretch out. It must be the lycra that scares everyone off. Nothing at all to do with the smell!

It was Siberia yesterday and today, but at least it was only a few brief miles outside today. I expect Spring to be banging at the door again by the end of the week again. Maybe that's too optimistic!

• sarah osborne wrote (see)
    I looooooove jelly babies too - red and black are my faves....might leave some in my bag at the finish as a reward!!

When it comes to jelly babies, I have no favourites.....they're all fair game for me. I'm often disgusted at myself at how quickly I can get through a bag. I throw caution to the wind even sometimes and combine all variety of jelly baby colours in one go!

Once the bag is finished 5 minutes later, I go through the same feelings of remorse, guilt and dismay as I used to do when I visited McDonalds (as a chubbier version of myself 4 months ago!)!

At least this time around I've learnt to savour the jelly babies and eat them more slowly!

• Malcs wrote (see)

All my past tapers have been blighted by injury so I've more or less stopped dead 2 weeks out. It'd be nice to do a taper this time - I really don't care if it's 3 or 4 weeks, anything would be an improvement image

Not liking the look of the weather outside - bonkers freezing and snow on the ground. Got my daughter's assembly this morning followed by sports massage so I have the 'too busy to run' excuse already lined up image

Hopefully my taper won't be following a similar fashion. The last thing I want to do now is cut out any of the speed sessions as I think these will be the difference between going sub 3:30 and not!

Where do you get your sports massage done? I'm going to try and book myself in for one this week. Are they expensive?

School assemblies? Do they still sing hymns these days and applaud students for winning their karate yellow belts? I remember being shouted at by fellow students in assembly when I was at Junior school. because I'd sing too loudly. I don't think I was hitting the notes well enough! Don;t they know it's all about the effort rather than the  quality!

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)
    Grizzly completed! Hilariously muddy and hilly 20.3 miles. Did 3.49 which I was quite pleased with but husband Jeff won it in 2.23 which makes my time look a bit rubbish! Anyway calf/Achilles held out fine. I think I am ultra sensitive now after my long injury...
    I put the peak long run 4 weeks out, not 3, because I don't believe 3 weeks is sufficient recovery from one's longest run of the programme, if not of their life!
    Well done ady on getting that run under your belt. I would have a sports massage now if I were you. I'm back at home tomorrow for fuller reply.

Very impressive Sam and Mr. Sam! I expect photos to be posted tomorrow when you're back home. I hope the few days rest afterwards helped earse the mud from your mind. image

Glad the calf held out ok. Do you feel like you lost anything taking those days off after training day? Even if I miss a couple of days training psychologically I feel a different runner when I step out again. I know it's all in the mind!

I will definitely look into getting a sports massage later this week as I think I need one to ease out a few of those old niggles that seem to be coming back.

• Malcs wrote (see)

Well done Sam! Does Jeff know the psychological effect his annoyingly good performances are having? Jeff - you are too fast, you need to slow down for the sake of your marriage! image 

You need to find something he is crap at and beat him into the ground at it. If I ever beat Mrs Malcs at anything she politely suggests we go ten pin bowling. 

Btw. I will go ten pin bowling but only if we can have the inflatable bumpers on image

I'd be quite happy to taper now but I still have 6 weeks to go!

Does this mean your somewhat lacking in the ten-pin bowling department Malcs? Ten pin bowling is still a sore subject with Mrs. Shady Ady. I think our biggest ever arguement was after a game of ten pin bowling. She swears blind I cheated to beat her. I just blame my playful competitive nature. I've learnt to lose more gracefully since this occasion though.....for the sake of my marriage!

• h vavoom wrote (see)
    Just don't send the pound my way! Got round to weighing myself this morning and a combination of full board skiing holiday, valentines, birthday, Mother's Day and running a bit less after a 30k has given me a kilo back I really don't need. Boo! Not marathon training right now, entered the inaugural bournemouth in October.
    Never fear, there are many of us keeping up with you on the quietimage
    Just remember we are quietly right next to you for the whole 26.2 in Paris willing you on.

Hey h vavoom.......I actually think you can see that as a small victory only gaining a kilo after so many weight gaining events like that. 

I was looking at running the Bournemouth marathon as well, as it's not that far from where we live, but I've been banned from running by Mrs. Shady Ady in October so I will have to wait until the following year now!

If you are quietly next to me for the whole of Paris, can I request you jab your finger nails into my ribs whenever you see my running slower than 8m/m. Just a couple of these should keep me on track for the sub 3:30! image

• Paulo83 wrote (see)
    I hope the aches and pains haven't been too bad on today's run?! I think it's normal to be feeling it a bit at this stage of marathon training though. I know I am! I can't even begin to imagine doing a 56 mile run. What pace do you do for that? I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to children so hoping to do a few more events in this year while I can. Yes, I'm planning on doing all three days of the Sussex marathon weekend as long as I'm feeling ok after Paris. All 3 runs are within about 20 minutes of me so it would be a shame to miss them.

Hey Paulo........the knee was fine today, but the quad was giving me a bit of an issue. I'm icing it now. It sounds similar to your calf........it's not stopping me from running, but I worry about it when doing speed sessions......and I think this might be doing even more damage as I'm tensing up more.

To be honest, I have no idea what pace I'll do for 56 miles. I think I'll go for 10 minute miles, as all I want to do is finish. I dont care about a time really, although under 10 hours would make me extremely happy. The time limitnis 12 hours, so I should make that!

It would definitely be rude not to do all three of the Sussex Marathon weekend runs being so close to your home. Should be a nice return to racing after Paris.

• Boffy wrote (see)

Well, as it seems to be the day for it, I may as well de-lurk too and add my best wishes.  I'm running Barcelona marathon this weekend, and have been reading your (and Steve's, and RRR's, and Sarah O's and Carter USM's) thread - can you tell it's quiet at work?! - for inspiration.  I've really enjoyed it, and it has been great to read the reports and track your progress.  You've done amazingly well.  I was originally going for sub 3:30, but due to taking the Malcs approach to taper and stopping dead 2 weeks ago through injury (and if I'm honest, a less than dedicated approach to training over the Decembver party season) I've revised that down to anything sub 3:40.

I shouldn't worry about the children stopping the marathon running.  I've got 2, and this will be my fourth marathon in 3 years.  My eldest is 3, so make of that what you will!

Keep up the writing, and all the best.

Hey Boffy.......Thanks very much for de-lurking. Two de-lurkers now in two days. I feel honoured. Never before have I felt so popular! image

Berst of look for Barcelona. I'm happy you've got a lot out of reading everyone's forums. I'm mightily impressed you have kpet up with so many. I always mean to keep up properly with everyone else, but I just run out of hours in the day to do it.

Maybe you should be looking at 3:20 instead of 3:40......maybe the 2 weeks rest will have a more positive impact on your marathon than you think. It's annoying though that the taper is stopped completely with injury. At least you managed to get in the main LSRs of your training though. I'd be more worried missing these than I would be mssing part of the taper.

Hopefully you'll still manage to go sub 3:30.

Thanks for the motivation of running through the first years of parenthood. I definitely think I'll keep running through it. I'll probably need to to de-stress at realising I can ever be selfish ever gain! I might struggle with getting the green light from Mrs. Shady Ady to run more than the one a year though. I think 1  a year is a good compromise.

Good luck again in Paris!

• h vavoom wrote (see)

anyone else to join the party? I'm sure Ady would love to know image

Haha.........I thought this might be the watershed moment where the de-lurkers would come out of the woodwork in their thousands like aplague of locusts, overwhelming this forum!. It looks like it's just you and Boffy at the moment though! 

It's all about quality not quantity! image

• Boffy wrote (see)

Malcs - Thanks for the welcome and advice.  In a similar story to yours, it's largely overuse/tightness that is causing problems.  I have had a couple of sessions with the physio and a sports massage, and some exceptionally painfull rolling, and it has largely cleared up.  I had a short canter around for 3miles to test it out the other day.  Still a bit leggy and dull feeling in the left calf and knee area, but good enough to get around I think.  I might try a few MP miles tomorrow just as a mental confidence thing, but it's so close now I figure rest is best!

Be careful with those MP miles if you say there's still a dull feeling. I'm sure if you're not 100% sure how it will be, missing doing the MP miles will make no difference to the marathon. But I can see why you want to do them. I'd be wanting to do exactly the same and probably would. I'm very good at knowing what to do and then ignoring this wisdom and doing my own thing!

I look forward to hearing how you do. Hopefully you'll set the standard for the rest of us to follow!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

A gentle climb you say? I thinked I've already lost my footing and I'm spiralling in to oblivion. Hopefully there's tree branch I can grab hold of before I fall of the edge!

After a 20+ mile run, I'm guaranteed the whole carriage, not just a seat. I can kick back and stretch out. It must be the lycra that scares everyone off. Nothing at all to do with the smell!

Ha image Yes, definitely the lycra. 

Spiralling into oblivion? I think the end of training taper madness has hit you early. Keep the faith, you're doing great.

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Where do you get your sports massage done? I'm going to try and book myself in for one this week. Are they expensive?

School assemblies? Do they still sing hymns these days and applaud students for winning their karate yellow belts? I remember being shouted at by fellow students in assembly when I was at Junior school. because I'd sing too loudly. I don't think I was hitting the notes well enough! Don;t they know it's all about the effort rather than the  quality!

LOL - Mrs Malcs was politely asked to mime during school productions for similar reasons. 

In our school there are no hymns during assemblies. This was a special assembly which was more of a production so lots of acting and singing. All based on WWII. Then tea and cakes in the hall afterwards image

Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Does this mean your somewhat lacking in the ten-pin bowling department Malcs? Ten pin bowling is still a sore subject with Mrs. Shady Ady. I think our biggest ever arguement was after a game of ten pin bowling. She swears blind I cheated to beat her. I just blame my playful competitive nature. I've learnt to lose more gracefully since this occasion though.....for the sake of my marriage!

Lacking? I'd say that was an understatement. My 7 year old can thrash me. 

Ha ha - like your tactics with Mrs Shady - "let the wookie win" (sorry, gratuitous Star Wars quote - wasn't in any way implying Mrs Shady was a relative of Chewbacca). 

Btw. how the devil do you cheat at bowling? Seriously I want to know...no, I NEED to know! image

• Sorry to hear your niggles are back Ady.  I would definitely second Sam and Malcs' endorsement of a sports massage.  Really helped me.  It's between £40 - £60 around where I work, depending on how long you want, but might be slighlty cheaper outside of the city.  I think you've got to take the view that given the investment of effort and time you've put into the training, it's minimal in comparison (even if it doesn't feel it when you hand over your card to pay!).

One marathon a year is about fair I think.  I only got away with 2 the first time around because basically I didn't do much training for the first one, so my wife didn't fully appreciate the amount of time involved!  And she enjoyed the weekend trips away.

With a nom de plume like "Shady Ady" I guess we shouldn't be surprised at accusations of ten pin bowling cheating...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well reminded Boffy - I forgot to say about the sports massage.

I go to someone that was recommended to me by a friend. They work from their own home and charge £20 per half hour. Their prices are reasonable so I you'd be doing well to get anything cheaper than that.

Not sure how you would locate one in your area - maybe ask somewhere here on the forum?

Failing that there is always google but I'd always prefer to go on personal recommendation.