MP3 players in races

13»

Comments

• I agree with training its totally up to the individual................in a race then its up to teh race organisers...........if they say no then respect it...it they say your choice then thats your choice and everyone should respect each others choicesimage.i did try and tell someone on an ultra once that they were going the wrong way ...but they had earphones on and failed to hear my somewhat loud bellow............never mind...........i'm sure they enjoyed the extra milesimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

I do runs of 20, 30, 40 or 50 miles without the aid of a music machine..............are those runs high mileage enough for you............

how many runs a year do you do over 25 miles stevie image

to run that far without getting bored or your body ceasing up sounds quite marvellous.

A marathon would certainly break me down, not to mention the sheer boredom of running for 3hours or so in a go!

• Stevie G . wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

I do runs of 20, 30, 40 or 50 miles without the aid of a music machine..............are those runs high mileage enough for you............

how many runs a year do you do over 25 miles stevie image

to run that far without getting bored or your body ceasing up sounds quite marvellous.

A marathon would certainly break me down, not to mention the sheer boredom of running for 3hours or so in a go!

an ipod might help with that...

• ....other makes are available.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I've never run outside with music (including runs of over four hours), but I don't get bored.  There's always something to look at - especially if you choose your route well.  If it's getting tough I do things like counting backwards from 582 (or another random figure) in sevens.  That takes your mind of it.

I don't buy the idea that you cannot hear anything if using one though.  I use one occasionally in the gym, and even with the volume up I can still hear the sound of other machines, people speaking around me, the tv, and so on.

• Only time I got seriously bored on a run was 12 miles in heavy fog. Nothing to look at at all!

But actually, I did do a HM with headphones once (don't tend to now), where I could still hear the heavy breathing of all the people who'd set off too quickly and were struggling at mile 5.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Wolfchild wrote: There do seem to be some "Running Facists" in this thread.

Yay, I call Godwin's Law and we're only page 4 image

• image Behave yourself image I did say mine was a daily mailish rant. image This subject have been covered quite a few times before so a lot of us has had time argue about it.

Stevie G . wrote (see)

image Simple answer is make sure your doing the same race as Seren you can tell her jokes all the way.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG wrote.

Ric, I had a proud record of never losing to someone wearing headfones, until that strange chap from your club beat me in an XC last year.

Strolling past on a tough offroader wearing headfones!

Still..put that right at the Metros race!

Yes, I know who you mean. Even I was taken aback when he unplugged himself after the race. No rules about wearing ipod in XC note.

Each to their own on this ipod business. If you want to train/race with music fine.

But this is about ipods in races where they are barred. Its a rule.

And races have rules which seem to upset some people, they just don't get rules, which is why I find those willing to ignore the rule of 'no ipod' interesting.

I tend to wonder what other rules they are ignoring. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

They should take heed from the London marathon way of dealing with rule breakers, normally those running without a number, but we could expand to ipod rule ignorers

Let them get about 25 1/2miles in, and then just take them off the course.

Och they'd be annoyed, but hard luck image

• Not going to join the debate for this one but for those who love thier music, possible solution in races where they are permitted is to wear an armband and play the music through the speakers.  You can hear everything around you and there's still the music for motivation!  If the race has a great crowd the cheers will drown out the music anyway.  Expect funny looks from someone running right beside you if you're playing some really cheesy tunes though haha....

• Funny look ? You'd get a punch in the teeth if you annoyed me like that in a race
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Funny look ? You'd get a punch in the teeth if you annoyed me like that in a race

+ 1

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Funny look ? You'd get a punch in the teeth if you annoyed me like that in a race

+1

• Personally I like to use two American marine sergeants. I put one in each ear and they call cadence for me all the way to the finish line.

"Runnin through the jungle with my M-16, I'm a mean mother f*cker, I'm a U.S. MARINE!"

You see? Pure motivation.

• Muttley wrote (see)

But what about deaf runners?

I don't think they'd be able to hear an mp3 player image

• Dear Susie Blanchard,

Has this answered your question ?

• If you resort to elbowing to get past someone who's in front of you you're being a dick.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

If you let someone jogging along to music be in front of you to start with you aren't trying hard enough image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

from the Giants Head Marathon FAQ

» Can I wear my iPod?
    Whilst it is against the rules for you to do so we are sure that you know best and will do whatever you feel like. However please be aware that as this is a trail marathon we take no responsibility for any injuries that may result from sheep attacks instigated by your choices in crap music.

made me smile....

• Intermanaut wrote (see)

If you resort to elbowing to get past someone who's in front of you you're being a dick.

perhaps if they haven't heard a polite "Excuse me" or two, The only way is an elbow ?

• What you in front of me ? Hardly likely now is it
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    He may be one of those types that line up right at the front and then go on to complain about people pushing past him.
  • Nope, but I was assuming anyone who ignored the no MP3 player advice would line up at the front as well
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

DF3...point of order...marine and soldier not in the same sentenceimage

Rules are rules and was happy to see them enforced at Weston a couple of weeks back. Marshalls walkie talkies alive with who had been warned and if they'd removed. DQ's administered to naughty people and no memento of their run

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a brilliant race. Wish they would actually do that at more races as loads say no headphones but do bugger all about it.